Steph Curry 2nd greatest pg of all time?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Steph Curry 2nd greatest pg of all time?

I think Steph will end up as the 2nd greatest point guard of all time he's already considered the greatest shooter of all time and ahead in terms of legacy as the guys who are often put in the top 5 like Steve Nash, Allen Iverson, and John Stockton. One more ring and I put him above the likes of Isaiah Thomas and Oscar Robertson as 2nd greatest point guard below Magic
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject:

I mean don't consider Nash and Iverson to be top-5 PGs, so I don't know where to begin with Curry being top-2. Curry is awesome. Awesome. But he's really only been a superstar for one season. Considering the fact that his game will likely age very well, it's possible he could very well end up the No. 2 PG all-time. But he's still a long way from that.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject:

I agree. Curry might actually already be top 2, behind Magic. or top 3, behind Magic and Oscar...
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Steph Curry 2nd greatest pg of all time?

PurpleAndGOAT wrote:
I think Steph will end up as the 2nd greatest point guard of all time he's already considered the greatest shooter of all time and ahead in terms of legacy as the guys who are often put in the top 5 like Steve Nash, Allen Iverson, and John Stockton. One more ring and I put him above the likes of Isaiah Thomas and Oscar Robertson as 2nd greatest point guard below Magic

PG is a weird list.

Magic is a tier by himself.

Then there is a bunch of guys all bundled together. So basically second place is there for the taking.

Ultimately, I don't think it really matters whether Curry is above or below guys like Stockton and Thomas unless his accomplishments reach the point you wonder if he's Magic's equal.

And that's a very high bar.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Steph Curry 2nd greatest pg of all time?

activeverb wrote:
PurpleAndGOAT wrote:

PG is a weird list.

Magic is a tier by himself.

Then there is a bunch of guys all bundled together. So basically second place is there for the taking.

Ultimately, I don't think it really matters whether Curry is above or below guys like Stockton and Thomas unless his accomplishments reach the point you wonder if he's Magic's equal.

And that's a very high bar.

Stockton zero tiles, Isiah 2, zero MVPs
Steph has 1 MVP & 1 championship.
In retrospective that will be the metric.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject:

I have to say that Steph Curry is quite fortunate in some ways to have a team that's rolling just as he entered his prime.
Unlike Steph, many other players such as Kobe or KG played for (bleep) teams while they were at the peak of their games.

I think looking back, it's really unfortunate how Lakers completely wasted Kobe's prime years from 2004-05, 05-06 and 06-07.
Those Lakers rosters had some players who really didn't have any business playing in the NBA playing major roles.
It's also quite unfortunate how terribly Lakers botched draft picks and free agents after their 2 championships (some of it back luck, some of it just terrible decisions with coaches, etc).
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject:

It's way too early, but he certainly has a chance to be.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject:

Too early to say, but if he keeps it up for a few years while he picks up another ring or two or three, then yeah.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject:

Not #2 but maybe top 5-8
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject:

It's far too early to put an All Time rank on him or a cap on his ceiling. I do think people are sleeping on the fact that we may be looking at a dynasty in the making here. Once they lock up Barnes and Curry they'll have their entire core locked in for multiple years. They're all young. They've got a great coach. He could rack up quite a few titles if things break right.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Better than Stockton, JKidd, and the Glove?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:

He already has an MVP, something those guys never got.
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

The ring ties him with Glove and JKidd because Gary Payton did win one ring with the 06 Heat but he was past his prime and he had a young D Wade and Shaq on there and JKidd won one with the '11 Mavericks but same deal he was past his prime and won due to Dirk, Tyson Chandler etc.. I think Steph's MVP award puts him already over the top of those guys though

Last edited by PurpleAndGOAT on Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

Could have made the same claim about Derrick Rose a few years ago. With a better supporting cast and a bit of luck, he might have won a championship as well.

It's just premature to be heaping GOAT PG accolades onto Curry.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
I mean don't consider Nash and Iverson to be top-5 PGs, so I don't know where to begin with Curry being top-2. Curry is awesome. Awesome. But he's really only been a superstar for one season. Considering the fact that his game will likely age very well, it's possible he could very well end up the No. 2 PG all-time. But he's still a long way from that.

Right now I'd say it's:

1. Magic
2. Oscar Robertson
3. Isiah
4. Stockton

And then a shuffle among Bob Cousy, Walt Frazier, Gary Payton, Jason Kidd, Chris Paul, Steve Nash, and Allen Iverson.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ocho wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

Could have made the same claim about Derrick Rose a few years ago. With a better supporting cast and a bit of luck, he might have won a championship as well.

Sure. If Curry, like Rose, blows his knees out and he's never the same again it's all moot. Assuming his career plays out relatively normally though it's not out of the question to think he could be considered better than those guys. He has already hit achievements those guys never did.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

A ring too. But he's going to have to sustain a HOF-caliber run for at least the next 6 years to clearly eclipse those guys, IMO.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
KBH wrote:

Right now I'd say it's:

1. Magic
2. Oscar Robertson
3. Isiah
4. Stockton

And then a shuffle among Bob Cousy, Walt Frazier, Gary Payton, Jason Kidd, Chris Paul, Steve Nash, and Allen Iverson.

Like you said in your earlier post, it's a shuffle after Magic. My personal top 5 includes the four you mentioned plus CP3.

1. Magic
2. Isiah
3. Chris Paul
4. Oscar
5. Stockton
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Some people are already talking about him possibly surpassing MJ...
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
KBH wrote:

Right now I'd say it's:

1. Magic
2. Oscar Robertson
3. Isiah
4. Stockton

Lol there's no way Bob Cousy and Walt Frazier could ever possibly hang with Steph Curry. Modern day point guards are so much more athletic and better overall than those old school guys... no comparison
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
ocho wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

Sure. If Curry, like Rose, blows his knees out and he's never the same again it's all moot. Assuming his career plays out relatively normally though it's not out of the question to think he could be considered better than those guys. He has already hit achievements those guys never did.

Exactly, which is why it is comically premature to project Curry as a GOAT PG candidate... lest we nominate Ralph Sampson as the GOAT PF.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject:

I think it depends on what you want your PG to be. Curry is an absolute offensive beast on an individual level, and he's a good passer. However, I appreciate what Stockton, Kidd and Nash did as a PG more and Gary Payton was a better 2-way player.

It does show how far away Magic is at #1 though. We're talking about Curry because he has 1 championship and 1 MVP. Magic has 5 and 3 and if you remove all accolades and just watch the two guys play, it's a world of difference in what they bring to the table.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject:

PurpleAndGOAT wrote:
activeverb wrote:
KBH wrote:

Right now I'd say it's:

1. Magic
2. Oscar Robertson
3. Isiah
4. Stockton

Lol there's no way Bob Cousy and Walt Frazier could ever possibly hang with Steph Curry. Modern day point guards are so much more athletic and better overall than those old school guys... no comparison

Sure, but lots of people measure players by how much they dominated their own eras as opposed to how they might theoretically match up against players from different eras. By that standard, Cousy is up there with almost anyone. It's same as why Mikan gets rated highly.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Some people are already talking about him possibly surpassing MJ...

You often get that kind of talk when a player first bursts into greatness. There was all that talk about Shaq being GOAT during the threepeat, but then it faded away as he faded.

Curry would have to go through an amazing seven or eight streak to get up to Jordan territory. Could happen, but hard to imagine it happening,
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject:

Prime CP3 or prime Curry? Who's better?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: