Kristaps Porzingis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

I also think it's presumptuous by some (not you) to paint KAT as being close to a finished product while Porzingis has this nuclear upside

As I've said many times JB, I think the Dirk/Durant comparisons are crazy. I don't buy them at all. I do think people calling him an Ibaka/role player are selling him a bit short. He's got a release that will be very very tough to defend, and has a constant mismatch either at 5 or 4. I think he'll be able to give a team 2nd option numbers in his prime. Don't drink the Dirk/Durant kool-aid at all.

From Dirk:

"He's probably way ahead of the curve compared to when I was 20," Nowitzki said. "I was scared to death out there competing against some of my heroes that first year. He's way better than I was at 20. The comparison is probably unfair to him."

From Durant:

"He can shoot, he can make the right plays, he can defend, he's a 7-footer that can shoot all the way out to the 3-point line," Durant said. "That's rare. And block shots -- that's like a unicorn in this league."

From Kobe:

“Pau?” Bryant said. “No. Wouldn’t be the first time me and Phil disagreed. Porzingis, from what I’ve seen, he seems more Dirk-like in terms of style of play more so than Pau.”

GUZZLING THE KOOL-AID BABY

I'll give you credit for being high on Porzingis even before he was drafted. It's kind of funny that he's being called overrated now, when he was considered to be a waste of a draft pick by almost everyone here. Porky Fat, Pork Chop, Euro trash, next Darko, likely bust, soft Euro, stealing NBA money, were generous phrases and nicknames given to Porzingis on this board.

Severe exaggeration.

Agreed. Even had a podcast on LakeShowLife prior to the draft where I had him Top 5. Just, REALLY concerned with potential injury issues.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

I also think it's presumptuous by some (not you) to paint KAT as being close to a finished product while Porzingis has this nuclear upside

As I've said many times JB, I think the Dirk/Durant comparisons are crazy. I don't buy them at all. I do think people calling him an Ibaka/role player are selling him a bit short. He's got a release that will be very very tough to defend, and has a constant mismatch either at 5 or 4. I think he'll be able to give a team 2nd option numbers in his prime. Don't drink the Dirk/Durant kool-aid at all.

From Dirk:

"He's probably way ahead of the curve compared to when I was 20," Nowitzki said. "I was scared to death out there competing against some of my heroes that first year. He's way better than I was at 20. The comparison is probably unfair to him."

From Durant:

"He can shoot, he can make the right plays, he can defend, he's a 7-footer that can shoot all the way out to the 3-point line," Durant said. "That's rare. And block shots -- that's like a unicorn in this league."

From Kobe:

“Pau?” Bryant said. “No. Wouldn’t be the first time me and Phil disagreed. Porzingis, from what I’ve seen, he seems more Dirk-like in terms of style of play more so than Pau.”

I'll give you credit for being high on Porzingis even before he was drafted. It's kind of funny that he's being called overrated now, when he was considered to be a waste of a draft pick by almost everyone here. Porky Fat, Pork Chop, Euro trash, next Darko, likely bust, soft Euro, stealing NBA money, were generous phrases and nicknames given to Porzingis on this board.

Severe exaggeration.

Not at all. This place as do most internet message boards, tends to revise their initial views after a while. Kobe-Reloaded was 1 of the few members that was high on Porzingis that I can remember. Porzingis was widely panned and called the next Darko along with nicknames like Porky Fat and other pejoratives. No exaggeration on my part. Now, he's considered to be overrated, when he wasn't even rated at all and thought of as trash.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

From Dirk:

From Durant:

From Kobe:

Severe exaggeration.

Not at all. This place as do most internet message boards, tends to revise their initial views after a while. Kobe-Reloaded was 1 of the few members that was high on Porzingis that I can remember. Porzingis was widely panned and called the next Darko along with nicknames like Porky Fat and other pejoratives. No exaggeration on my part. Now, he's considered to be overrated, when he wasn't even rated at all and thought of as trash.

There are over 35,000 registered users on LG.
You said "he was considered to be a waste of a draft pick by almost everyone here."
Hence, severe exaggeration.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Then that's all that you're choosing to remember, because there were several people here who liked him. I liked him less than most, and I never thought he was "trash". In fact, I compiled the draft rankings from most of the people who seemed to follow the draft closely, and he was ranked between 4th-8th by everyone. Ridiculous exaggeration on your part.

The riffs on his name that you seem to be so sensitive to were because his name was difficult to pronounce, and there was already a meme going with Hezonja's name, which several people butchered. It was a joke.

But yes, now he's overrated. Not here, outside of a few people, but nationally. He's been good, but not nearly as good as he's being portrayed. It's because he's a Knick and his game is novel.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Porzingis is overrated, especially if Towns isn't the undisputed ROY candidate. To me, it's not even close. Porzingis has some great highlights, but then Towns gets 32 quietly against Rudy Gobert. Substance.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Lol, lots of us liked Krispy before the draft. Some are just very anxious (and premature) to pull the "I told you so" card
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Porzingis is overrated, especially if Towns isn't the undisputed ROY candidate. To me, it's not even close. Porzingis has some great highlights, but then Towns gets 32 quietly against Rudy Gobert. Substance.

Towns is having a better season than Aldridge across the board. Suppper impressive
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject:

My only thoughts on Porzingis was that if the FO drafted him, then I'd have faith in the pick since they have a good track record of drafting.

Sometimes it pays not having an opinion either way.

But yeah, now I'm just jealous. We ended up getting the guy I wanted and I have faith in DLO's development, but (bleep) I am jealous of the Knicks. Drafted 4th and may end up with the best player in the draft, something I said might happen before they even drafted him. Phil Jackson knows his (bleep).
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Kristaps Porzingis by Play Type

Play Type.....PPP...........Freq.......Percentile

Spot Up..........0.78..........23.3%.........23rd
Post Up...........0.69..........13.9%.........26th
Pick & Roll.......1.13..........11.8%.........77th
Cut.................1.12..........11.5%.........38th
Putbacks.........1.30............8.5%.........88th
Isolation..........0.89...........6.2%.........62nd

Rebound Rate = 15.2% (49th in NBA)
Rim Protection Ranking = (14th in NBA)
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Basically, he's done well around the rim (PnR, Cuts, Putbacks), but has struggled with his own shot creation (Post, Isos). I don't think that will change much over his career. His Spot Ups are probably the area where he has the most opportunity for growth.

His rebound numbers are superficially solid, but below average when you scratch a little below the surface. He grabs 5.0 "Uncontested" rebounds per game, which is a function of playing next to Robin Lopez. He ranks 107th in the league in Contested Rebound Percentage (35.5%), and 175th in Adjusted Rebound Chance % (67.0%).

His real value is as a rim protector so far, where he's very disruptive. But he has a ways to go in other aspects of his game.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Basically, he's done well around the rim (PnR, Cuts, Putbacks), but has struggled with his own shot creation (Post, Isos). I don't think that will change much over his career. His Spot Ups are probably the area where he has the most opportunity for growth.

His rebound numbers are superficially solid, but below average when you scratch a little below the surface. He grabs 5.0 "Uncontested" rebounds per game, which is a function of playing next to Robin Lopez. He ranks 107th in the league in Contested Rebound Percentage (35.5%), and 175th in Adjusted Rebound Chance % (67.0%).

His real value is as a rim protector so far, where he's very disruptive. But he has a ways to go in other aspects of his game.

So would you still draft Russell over him?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Yes, absolutely. The game is driven by shot creators, and what Russell is doing relative to age is very rare.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Yes, absolutely. The game is driven by shot creators.

But isn't it easier to sign a shot creator in free agency than a mobile 7'3 guy with three point range and rim-protecting abilities?

Like what makes Russell so much more special than Clarkson or someone we could have signed in FA? His lack of athleticism and defense concerns me.

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

But isn't it easier to sign a shot creator in free agency than a mobile 7'3 guy with three point range and rim-protecting abilities?

Like what makes Russell so much more special than Clarkson or someone we could have signed in FA? His lack of athleticism and defense concerns me.

Not at the level of what Russell will be. Porzingis' most important skill that he offers at a high level is rim protection, but there are multiple, high level rim protectors available every year. Him having 3-point range is relative, as he shoots it well "for a big", rather than just well. Russell's skill set is considerably more important.

In terms of what makes him so much more special than Clarkson is that he's better at creating good shots for his team (in a terrible offense) while being 4 years younger. There's no comparison between the two in terms of shot creation.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Not at the level of what Russell will be. Porzingis' most important skill that he offers at a high level is rim protection, but there are multiple, high level rim protectors available every year. Him having 3-point range is relative, as he shoots it well "for a big", rather than just well. Russell's skill set is considerably more important.

In terms of what makes him so much more special than Clarkson is that he's better at creating good shots for his team (in a terrible offense) while being 4 years younger. There's no comparison between the two in terms of shot creation.

What do you think Russell will average in his prime under a good coach on a contending team?

Would you draft Russell even over Towns?

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

What do you think Russell will average in his prime under a good coach on a contending team?

Would you draft Russell even over Towns?

I don't think I would draft Russell over Towns, but I am skeptical about exactly how much of an impact a player like Towns has on wins and losses, even as good as he is. I wonder if the NBA big has gone the way of the NFL Running Back, in terms of value. That said, Towns is the player that people want Porzingis to be.

Idk what Russell will average, and this probably isn't the thread for that. I just know that the list of guys doing what he's doing on a Per 100 possessions basis at his age is very short.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject:

The dude's gonna be a star in the league. Just face it.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Phil Jackson knows his (bleep).

He does know a thing or two about the game, to say the least. It's good to see Porzingis doing well and he's made those NYers who booed him into believers. If KP hadn't been available at #4 and Russell didn't get picked up by LA/Philly, perhaps Russell would've been Phil's choice. D'lo mentioned he liked the triangle and went in for a stealth workout for the Knicks before the draft.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject:

Porzingis is still only 20 years old, and like Okafor, Towns, DLo, Turner, Mudiay, et. al. his development trajectory is an outline right now. Dirk playing like a guard at 19 would be surprised to see himself a decade later working predominantly out of the mid-post.

Kristaps isn't really overrated - no one's complaining he didn't make the ASG or anything - and a guy who is as productive as he is, in the ways that he is productive, as a 20-year-old rookie has an incredible ceiling. He might never improve in the post or off the dribble or become a much better passer, but with such a high-level foundation to start from and years to work on his game, it's not a stretch to think he can become a star.

It's much more farfetched to project Okafor's improvement on defense and as a face-up shooter than Porzingis diversifying/polishing his already efficient offensive game to become more of a shot-creator.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

What level is this? I don't see him getting to a Steph Curry level, a Westbrook level, John Wall level, Damian Lillard level.... heck I can't see him doing what Kyle Lowry is doing right now. I've been hoping DLo becomes a bigger Mike Conley (who is an FA).

Also, please tell me all the high level rim protectors in the NBA that can shoot from 3, crash the boards for tip jams, and effect a game like Porzingis that we can sign via free agency.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
What level is this? I don't see him getting to a Steph Curry level, a Westbrook level, John Wall level, Damian Lillard level.... heck I can't see him doing what Kyle Lowry is doing right now. I've been hoping DLo becomes a bigger Mike Conley (who is an FA).

Also, please tell me all the high level rim protectors in the NBA that can shoot from 3, crash the boards for tip jams, and effect a game like Porzingis that we can sign via free agency.

The teenagers in NBA history to go for 22/6/6 Per 100 possessions are LeBron James & D'Angelo Russell. That's it. And that's with a lot of factors working against Russell in LA. It's fine that you don't see it. Most people don't properly account for age, which is far more of a factor with guards than it is with bigs. He's having one of the best seasons for a teenage guard ever, in a terrible offense while sharing touches with 3 other perimeter guys in Kobe, Lou, & Clarkson.

Again, the one thing that Porzingis provides at a high level is rim protection. Can he develop into a high quality spot up shooter? Sure, but he's nowhere close to that yet. Can he be a top notch rebounder? Maybe, although it's less likely. I don't care about tip jams, that's for highlight reels.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

The teenagers in NBA history to go for 22/6/6 Per 100 possessions are LeBron James & D'Angelo Russell. That's it. And that's with a lot of factors working against Russell in LA. It's fine that you don't see it. Most people don't properly account for age, which is far more of a factor with guards than it is with bigs. He's having one of the best seasons for a teenage guard ever, in a terrible offense while sharing touches with 3 other perimeter guys in Kobe, Lou, & Clarkson.

Again, the one thing that Porzingis provides at a high level is rim protection. Can he develop into a high quality spot up shooter? Sure, but he's nowhere close to that yet. Can he be a top notch rebounder? Maybe, although it's less likely. I don't care about tip jams, that's for highlight reels.

I can also ask how many teenage point guards have there been? Also are we seriously putting DLo's name into the same sentence as LeBron?
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Yep, officially a high-light watcher. Come clean lol.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

I can also ask how many teenage point guards have there been? Also are we seriously putting DLo's name into the same sentence as LeBron?

The is why I make it a point to not argue with you. If you didn't get the point that I was making, I'm not going to explain it.

I didn't specify PGs, I said teenage guards, of which there have been about 30. If you want to expand that to 20 and under, you get about 90 guys, and Russell still performs very well amongst them.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

GT didn't put them in the same sentence. The stats did.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14
Jump to: