Kobe Bryant: “I’m a Laker for Life.” Letting that sink in...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject:

RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject:

Outstanding.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe Bryant: “I’m a Laker for Life.” Letting that sink in...

Tony Almeida wrote:
"I bleed Purple and Gold and that’s just how it’s going to be."

55,000+ minutes and counting. 1,500 games and counting.
37,000+ points and counting.
5 championships. One a threepeat, the other a repeat. 7 Finals appearances. 2 FMVP.
1 MVP.
1 81 point game. 1 outscore another team game. 1 month averaging 40+. 1 string of 50+ point games. One (bleep) you to Kobe stoppers and Next Big Thing after another.
One clutch play after another. One fadeaway dagger after another. One game winner after another.
Countless #CountOnKobe virtuoso games and breathtaking “Did he just do that?!” moments.
#8...#24...each legendary careers...both representing vastly different animals yet the same winning beast.
And oh yeah, going back on the court to shoot and make two (bleep) free throws on a (bleep) torn achillies. In the clutch, after playing entire games, to deliver on his promise that the Lakers would make the playoffs.

All this...year after year after year. 20 years to be exact. Enough playoff games to add nearly 3 more years to the total. All for one team. The Lakers.

There are the volume stats, there are individual games and moments, team accomplishments, minutiae like the impeccable footwork and unprecedented skillset, and everything in between. I’m comfortable saying no player has ever given the Lakers franchise more than Kobe Bryant.

Kobe made the seemingly impossible, routine. How many times did we ALL say “alright...come on Kobe...get us this W”. When it came down to it...love him or hate him...every Laker fan’s eyes were glued to Kobe. Practically every important and memorable moment in the past 20 years had Kobe involved somehow...that’s remarkable. We EXPECTED him to impose his will and be the Black Mamba in any and all situations. Shooting like (bleep) all game? Hit the game winner. Busted finger? Win a championship. Busted shoulder? (bleep) it, use your left. Life altering court case? Who gives a (bleep), win the division in the last game of the season. Game 7 on the road? Have no fear, Kobe's here. Spurs Twin Towers? Please, SpursKiller. Shaq out? It’s Kobe Time. Some new posterchild supposedly better than Kobe? (bleep) that guy, Kobe got the better of him.

Literal blood, sweat, and tears. He got everything out of himself with his maniacal workouts and unprecedented work ethic for 20 years. He put everything he had into the game and this franchise. The accomplishments and body of work even for the greatest NBA franchise...unmatched.

Interestingly it seems like the criticism and hate has reached a level we haven’t seen in awhile...except surprisingly some of it’s from our own fanbase. Let’s get this out of the way: Kobe has played like (bleep) to start the season. He has lost so much athleticism, throwing up bricks, little to no impact on defense, and can no longer control the game or have the impact we are accustomed to. But calling for arguably the Greatest Laker of All-Time to retire asap? Holding the team back? Bench him? Going so far as to call him a cancer? (bleep), that’s cringeworthy. Especially because these are the same Laker fans who in the 20 years were always there to harp on that (bleep) that had you rolling your eyes: We could have won with Iverson/TMac/Vince/anyone. He ran Shaq out of town. He’s a coach killer. He’s a bad teammate. If he shot less than 20 times a game the team would win. Kobe led team will never get out of the first round. He quit against the Suns. Well he only wins because of his teammates. So on and so forth. Quiet during the highs, loud as a motorbike during the lows. He’s not immune to criticism, but there are people who in 20 years their primary motivation was dedicated to that. FYI: All those daggers Kobe hit and championships won...it was FOR the Lakers...the team you supposedly rooted for.

Look, the Lakers are the greatest NBA franchise precisely because of individuals like Kobe and Magic. Shaq and Kareem. Wilt and West. Dr. Buss and Chick. Some fool in Chicago said organizations win championships, not players. They’re still waiting on a championship post-Jordan. The arrogant and spoiled attitude of EXPECTING championships? You can thank those individuals for it. Kobe in particular as much as anyone. The losing sucks because we’re used to winning at the highest level. We’re used to Kobe leading us there. Somehow, someway. Now, unfortunately he hasn’t been able to get it together just yet. Maybe Father Time can finally claim the W...but I’m going to give the man who gave 20 years more than 20 days to get it together. Maybe he won’t...that’s ok...he proved his fans right more times than not.

Yeah, I look forward to the next chapter in Laker history...hopefully adding championship banners...but I’m not running the legend out of town or anxious to see him retire just to move on to The Great Unknown. Hell no. MVP chants in the road arenas? Crowds of people lined up and freaking crying when he visits other countries? The guy has been a rockstar and living legend. Of course all great things must come to an end, and so after this season, if he calls it a career, I’m ok with it as he has literally nothing left to give, nor does he owe anything to anyone. However, I’m going to miss the hell out of the guy because we will never quite see another one like him. Celebrating the highs, anguishing in the lows, and everything in between, it’s been one hell of a ride. Pure entertainment, pure joy to watch, pure basketball player. Pure Laker For Life.

L4L wrote:
Throughout my life, I've had, and will have, exactly one sports "hero": Kobe Bean Bryant.

My mother raised me to value two traits above all others -- happiness and kindness. Most wealth, beauty, talent and intelligence, among other coveted qualities, are primarily a matter of good fortune. Whether that fortune be genetic or environmental in nature is irrelevant. Happiness and kindness on the other hand are a direct reflection of your character. You either make the choice or you do not.

As I've grown older, I've found those particular choices increasingly difficult to make and, at times, subject to the seeming whims of my neurobiology. However, a third quality, a quality I've come to value above all others, has always been my friend when no other friends could be found: work ethic. If I couldn't be happy or kind in a particular moment, at least I could work towards being so.

Twenty years into one of the greatest careers in the history of sports, Bryant appears to have finally lost the war against father time. Finally, after twenty years, the detractors have legitimate ammo to fire. Finally, after twenty years, Kobe really is shooting too much. Finally, after twenty years the "ball hog" is shooting his way out of the league.

However, as far as I'm concerned, this final chapter is every bit as inspiring as the rest of the book. I fear history will remember Bryant as yet another spectacular athlete with damning moral flaws. While the public at large focuses on adultery and semi-narcissistic tendencies, I see something else entirely -- perhaps the hardest working individual in any field that I've ever studied.

For twenty years, Bryant has slept 3-4 hours per night and trained to be at his peak basketball ability 12-14 hours per day. Through being drafted directly out of high school at eighteen years of age, through assault allegations, through the Shaq era, through the post Shaq era, from Bynum to Pau, and from a torn Achilles to his twentieth year in the league, Bryant has worked every single day with a single-minded determination that is unmatched in virtually any other field with similar publicity and international implications. Only someone who has put in an 80-100 hour work week in service of their life's primary ambition can truly comprehend the gravity of that level of commitment. Over the course of two decades, against every obstacle possible, ranging from opponents to biology itself, that work ethic has never wavered.

Perhaps there have been more successful, more talented and greater athletes than Bryant. That's not a particularly difficult case to argue. However, that's never what made those of us who admire Kobe feel the way we do in the first place. This comes down to work ethic. As far as basketball is concerned, nobody has out worked Bryant in the past twenty years. That spirit carries beyond the court.

As will all basketball fans, I will remember the five championships, the 81 point game, the four straight games of 50+ points, the ten straight games over 40 points, and the never-ending highlight reel of surreal athletic supremacy. However, above all else, I'll remember the tales of an 18 year old who watched game tape on prom night, the 21 year old who would rather practice more than go clubbing with teammates, the player who started taking jumpers before the lights even went on at the Forum, the man who hit the gym three times a day to add strength and size, and the player who calmly sank two free throws with a torn Achilles.

I'm not one to idolize another human being. In the end, we are all fallible. Nonetheless, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't find that level of commitment and work ethic inspirational. I remember waking up with roaches, I remember having crackheads for neighbors, and I remember my own 100+ hour weeks. The level of respect I hold for someone who has done that for twenty years in the service of exactly one cause is... immeasurable. The amount of gratitude I have for being exposed to even one individual who proved it was possible is... infinite.

I'm really too old at this point of my life to ever have another hero. Ball hog? Selfish? Chucker? It doesn't matter. It never did. It stopped being about basketball a long time ago. I'll do the same as I've always done: enjoy the privilege of watching manifest greatness for at least one last year.

In perhaps the greatest compliment I can pay to Bryant, his career, which is easily amongst the ten greatest to ever play his sport, pails in comparison to his discipline, dedication, and determination. Kobe is the hardest worker I've ever known of.

Results be damned, Kobe will always be my favorite athlete and the only sports "hero" I will ever have.

Thank you very much for writing these.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
I have one question for all the Laker lovers / Kobe haters:

If you had to do it all over again, would you want Kobe to have played for the Lakers or not? All the good with the bad, including the famous harped about contract, 20 years, 5 championships, history broken time and again, jump out of your seat moments, and everything in between.

It's a simple yes or no question.

Define hater.

Because round these sensitive parts, a hater is anyone who has criticized at least once.

I can't imagine ANY true fan of the team, holding actual hatred for someone who has brought so much glory (and excitement) to this franchise.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject:

Of course he is a Laker for life. I never had any doubt. He will go out like West and Magic.

Last edited by 32 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
55 wrote:

If you had to do it all over again, would you want Kobe to have played for the Lakers or not? All the good with the bad, including the famous harped about contract, 20 years, 5 championships, history broken time and again, jump out of your seat moments, and everything in between.

Define hater.

Because round these sensitive parts, a hater is anyone who has criticized at least once.

I can't imagine ANY true fan of the team, holding actual hatred for someone who has brought so much glory (and excitement) to this franchise.

Well said. I sometimes think this hater thing is over the top. It's good to have heroes but to proactively slam anything that anyone has to say that doesn't agree with you is not hating. The real haters are on the outside not within.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject:

Coming out of retirement to tell Tony and L4L:

Thank You...for writing these. I really needed to read these.

Kobe has been inspiration to me in so many ways. Most importantly in the work ethic and never say die motto that he embodies. He is the most single minded, iron willed and courageous athlete I have ever witnessed. He never let the naysayers get to him.

I broke my heart to hear his comments after the Dallas game. That was the first time he agreed with his critics, or gave any indication that he too battles with self doubt.

Kobe isn't just losing the war with Father Time, he's losing the war with his fears and doubts, and that bothers me a lot.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
55 wrote:

Under old CBA and before social media explosion, then YES I want Kobe on this team, because a prime Kobe can make our team an instant contender, plus Lakers were a much desirable destination back then for top FAs. Prime Kobe plus another max FA = titles. But now time had changed with social media and new CBA, stars don't change team ms that often, and if they do move, they no longer need to come to nyc and la to be famous. This is the time we need a charismatic superstar who's playing style attracts those top FAs, like LeBron and James harden had done. Frankly I don't think Kobe is that kind of guy. Without any help, I don't think lakers would win any more titles with just kobe. In summary I would not want Kobe on my team in this modern day NBA

What a ridiculous post. But it doesn't surprise me coming from you who's always spewing their anti-Kobe agenda. I mean, it's one thing to not want him now that he's past his prime, but to not want PRIME Kobe and make some cringey, half-assed attempt to justify it through the "new CBA" and "social media"

Yeah, LeBron's charisma was so good in drawing other allstars that he literally had to JUMP SHIP and go to Wade's team in order to win his first rings.

And at you thinking having a James Harden in the "modern NBA" would be better than having a prime Kobe.

Your agenda is showing hardcore.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
55 wrote:

Define hater.

Hater: (*see SGV-Laker's posts)
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject:

!...
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
55 wrote:

Under old CBA and before social media explosion, then YES I want Kobe on this team, because a prime Kobe can make our team an instant contender, plus Lakers were a much desirable destination back then for top FAs. Prime Kobe plus another max FA = titles. But now time had changed with social media and new CBA, stars don't change team ms that often, and if they do move, they no longer need to come to nyc and la to be famous. This is the time we need a charismatic superstar who's playing style attracts those top FAs, like LeBron and James harden had done. Frankly I don't think Kobe is that kind of guy. Without any help, I don't think lakers would win any more titles with just kobe. In summary I would not want Kobe on my team in this modern day NBA

Playing style has very little to do with it my friend. In the end two things players care about is money and winning. Lakers couldnt really provide either as of recently. You could blame Kobe, but it is not his style. Maybe that he used to go 100 every night and you would fear he could get hurt.

Kobe's rivals used to want to play with him, best believe, and some actually did. If Kobe was in his prime we would have either got Melo or even LBJ, Aldridge would have signed no question if KB24 was in his prime!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
55 wrote:

Define hater.

I don't think he holds hatred for Kobe. Sure, his posts slant negative as of late, but he said he'd want Kobe, in his prime, on the Lakers. If he doesn't want the current him on the Lakers anymore, it sounds like it's because he doesn't think it's what's best for the Lakers as opposed to being purely out of spite.

The term has been so diluted that it applies to anyone who doesn't have unconditional love. That isn't hatred. That's just ... Conditional love.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Batguano wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
55 wrote:

Define hater.

I don't think he holds hatred for Kobe. Sure, his posts slant negative as of late, but he said he'd want Kobe, in his prime, on the Lakers. If he doesn't want the current him on the Lakers anymore, it sounds like it's because he doesn't think it's what's best for the Lakers as opposed to being purely out of spite.

The term has been so diluted that it applies to anyone who doesn't have unconditional love. That isn't hatred. That's just ... Conditional love.

Read his post again. He LITERALLY said that he wouldn't want even PRIME Kobe on the Lakers in the current NBA because of the CBA and social media. And "needing a charismatic guy to draw other allstars in today's NBA" or some such nonsense.
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject:

THE GOD.

Kobe, Magic , Kareem are our greatest

Any chance Kobe is involved w Lakers going fwrd

Like minor owner, front office or somethign w TV? I know he says he wont coach
LakerBeastmode
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe Bryant: “I’m a Laker for Life.” Letting that sink in...

Tony Almeida wrote:
"I bleed Purple and Gold and that’s just how it’s going to be."

55,000+ minutes and counting. 1,500 games and counting.
37,000+ points and counting.
5 championships. One a threepeat, the other a repeat. 7 Finals appearances. 2 FMVP.
1 MVP.
1 81 point game. 1 outscore another team game. 1 month averaging 40+. 1 string of 50+ point games. One (bleep) you to Kobe stoppers and Next Big Thing after another.
One clutch play after another. One fadeaway dagger after another. One game winner after another.
Countless #CountOnKobe virtuoso games and breathtaking “Did he just do that?!” moments.
#8...#24...each legendary careers...both representing vastly different animals yet the same winning beast.
And oh yeah, going back on the court to shoot and make two (bleep) free throws on a (bleep) torn achillies. In the clutch, after playing entire games, to deliver on his promise that the Lakers would make the playoffs.

All this...year after year after year. 20 years to be exact. Enough playoff games to add nearly 3 more years to the total. All for one team. The Lakers.

There are the volume stats, there are individual games and moments, team accomplishments, minutiae like the impeccable footwork and unprecedented skillset, and everything in between. I’m comfortable saying no player has ever given the Lakers franchise more than Kobe Bryant.

Kobe made the seemingly impossible, routine. How many times did we ALL say “alright...come on Kobe...get us this W”. When it came down to it...love him or hate him...every Laker fan’s eyes were glued to Kobe. Practically every important and memorable moment in the past 20 years had Kobe involved somehow...that’s remarkable. We EXPECTED him to impose his will and be the Black Mamba in any and all situations. Shooting like (bleep) all game? Hit the game winner. Busted finger? Win a championship. Busted shoulder? (bleep) it, use your left. Life altering court case? Who gives a (bleep), win the division in the last game of the season. Game 7 on the road? Have no fear, Kobe's here. Spurs Twin Towers? Please, SpursKiller. Shaq out? It’s Kobe Time. Some new posterchild supposedly better than Kobe? (bleep) that guy, Kobe got the better of him.

Literal blood, sweat, and tears. He got everything out of himself with his maniacal workouts and unprecedented work ethic for 20 years. He put everything he had into the game and this franchise. The accomplishments and body of work even for the greatest NBA franchise...unmatched.

Interestingly it seems like the criticism and hate has reached a level we haven’t seen in awhile...except surprisingly some of it’s from our own fanbase. Let’s get this out of the way: Kobe has played like (bleep) to start the season. He has lost so much athleticism, throwing up bricks, little to no impact on defense, and can no longer control the game or have the impact we are accustomed to. But calling for arguably the Greatest Laker of All-Time to retire asap? Holding the team back? Bench him? Going so far as to call him a cancer? (bleep), that’s cringeworthy. Especially because these are the same Laker fans who in the 20 years were always there to harp on that (bleep) that had you rolling your eyes: We could have won with Iverson/TMac/Vince/anyone. He ran Shaq out of town. He’s a coach killer. He’s a bad teammate. If he shot less than 20 times a game the team would win. Kobe led team will never get out of the first round. He quit against the Suns. Well he only wins because of his teammates. So on and so forth. Quiet during the highs, loud as a motorbike during the lows. He’s not immune to criticism, but there are people who in 20 years their primary motivation was dedicated to that. FYI: All those daggers Kobe hit and championships won...it was FOR the Lakers...the team you supposedly rooted for.

Look, the Lakers are the greatest NBA franchise precisely because of individuals like Kobe and Magic. Shaq and Kareem. Wilt and West. Dr. Buss and Chick. Some fool in Chicago said organizations win championships, not players. They’re still waiting on a championship post-Jordan. The arrogant and spoiled attitude of EXPECTING championships? You can thank those individuals for it. Kobe in particular as much as anyone. The losing sucks because we’re used to winning at the highest level. We’re used to Kobe leading us there. Somehow, someway. Now, unfortunately he hasn’t been able to get it together just yet. Maybe Father Time can finally claim the W...but I’m going to give the man who gave 20 years more than 20 days to get it together. Maybe he won’t...that’s ok...he proved his fans right more times than not.

Yeah, I look forward to the next chapter in Laker history...hopefully adding championship banners...but I’m not running the legend out of town or anxious to see him retire just to move on to The Great Unknown. Hell no. MVP chants in the road arenas? Crowds of people lined up and freaking crying when he visits other countries? The guy has been a rockstar and living legend. Of course all great things must come to an end, and so after this season, if he calls it a career, I’m ok with it as he has literally nothing left to give, nor does he owe anything to anyone. However, I’m going to miss the hell out of the guy because we will never quite see another one like him. Celebrating the highs, anguishing in the lows, and everything in between, it’s been one hell of a ride. Pure entertainment, pure joy to watch, pure basketball player. Pure Laker For Life.

Damn dude you know how to make a grown man cry. But it's not his final year
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject:

iimarshon wrote:
THE GOD.

Would love for Magic and Kobe to buy the lakers
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject:

Rough to see Kobe going out like this, shooting 30%. Even he sees it.

Is he even doing his insane workouts and practices any longer? If not, then we know for sure, it's his last year...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
55 wrote:

I recommend you put that as you sig and save some new posters the hassle of reading your posts.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
55 wrote:

Define hater.

Some might say ringfinger, but I wouldn't go that far.
But your partner in crime on the 1st page is a great example.

Regardless, remove the hater from the equation and give it another shot.
Would you take the last 20 years again?

Yes or no?
LakerSince72
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject:

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Batguano wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
55 wrote:

Define hater.

There's no picking and choosing parts of someone's career. A career is singular. All or nothing is the question presented.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

THE BLACK MAMBA ROCKS!! ..
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:

Fantastic post, Tony. Awesome. One minor factual correction, only to add to Kobe's legacy. He actually averaged 40 points in a month four times. No one else has done it since Wilt and Elgin and he did it four times: February 2003, January 2006, April 2006, March 2007. The April 2006 one was only eight games, but I remember when he did it in 07 ESPN or Elias said the minimum was five games for it to count. For what it's worth. But even if that one drops, it'd be three times. Which is insane. Like so much of his career.
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
iimarshon wrote:
THE GOD.

Would love for Magic and Kobe to buy the lakers

Didnt magic own like1% or something?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Batguano wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
55 wrote:

Define hater.

There's no picking and choosing parts of someone's career. A career is singular. All or nothing is the question presented.

So if Kobe wants a max extension this year, and someone don't want that, that makes them a hater? That doesn't seem fair.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: