OFFICIAL Russell P&M Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 76, 77, 78  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Got his first assist. 2 min to go, 3rd quarter, Curry is eating him alive now that Clarkson is out, still, a good game.

he's not really a passing point guard. he should be a SG. it would be better for him to attack.
any how, I'd like to see him call more plays for other guys, instead of just calling Kobe's number and calling it a play.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject:

That is the offense he is being asked to run
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

100%
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject:

People were calling Okafor old school, plays a game more suited to the 80s. I think DLo is the same. I don't know if he is/can be a modern point guard. Maybe in the 80s.
Captain America
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
People were calling Okafor old school, plays a game more suited to the 80s. I think DLo is the same. I don't know if he is/can be a modern point guard. Maybe in the 80s.

True but for all the people calling him the "greatest bust of all time" especially given how many clearly superior players went after him, I would argue that he could still have a 3-5 year career in the NBA which is probably longer than Anthony Bennett.
novadolla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject:

I'm really not a fan of Russell, but after tonights game, I think scott is definitely holding him back, instead of leaving him in, in the 4th qtr, he benches the guy and says there was nothing Russell could benefit from playng there . I cant even say anything bad about russ because he is not being given a fair chance to succeed, nor is he being coached properly.

I'm actually starting to feel bad for him as much as I've bashed him.
tj24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject:

He'd be better off in philly and jah would be better off here. Mitch and Hinkie need to fix this mess
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject:

tj24 wrote:
He'd be better off in philly and jah would be better off here. Mitch and Hinkie need to fix this mess

I don't want to see any rookie endure the pain and suffering of playing under Byron Scott
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Whenever Dlo brings the ball up, Kobe's waiting in the post demanding the ball. That's the reason for the lack of assists.
novadolla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
tj24 wrote:

I don't want to see any rookie endure the pain and suffering of playing under Byron Scott

This
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:

He looked and played like the ideal modern point guard if you watched him in college. Great in transition, great in the pick n roll, great vision, great spot up shooter.

He looks like his game is suited to the 80's because the offense is suited for the 80's
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject:

My thoughts on tonight's game:

1) On-ball defense on Klay Thompson at the start was very decent. Length clearly disrupted shots and rhythm.
2) Defense on Curry was actually pretty good. Curry used his speed to his advantage, but D'Angelo bodied him up really well. He nearly disrupted Curry's drives.

Curry is the best player in the league and it isn't even close. It was a good test for D'Angelo, but I'm not going to act like Curry blew him out of the water.

D'Angelo should be able to hold his own next time.
novadolla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
Whenever Dlo brings the ball up, Kobe's waiting in the post demanding the ball. That's the reason for the lack of assists.

Yea I saw that. One of the reasons why you cant really complain about Russell's game because of the lack of coaching. There are no sets being ran, nothing being ran for him, Kobe playing terrible and not being held accountable, however Dlo puts together decent stretches only to be benched because the coach claims he needs to earn trust. DA FAQ?

This situation is unreal.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject:

novadolla wrote:
I'm really not a fan of Russell, but after tonights game, I think scott is definitely holding him back, instead of leaving him in, in the 4th qtr, he benches the guy and says there was nothing Russell could benefit from playng there . I cant even say anything bad about russ because he is not being given a fair chance to succeed, nor is he being coached properly.

I'm actually starting to feel bad for him as much as I've bashed him.

I totally get not being head over heels for him at this point because frankly he hasn't been earth shatteringly good or anything like that. But I'm glad at least a couple of the "Russell dislikers" are coming around to the fact that he's being horrendously mis-used.
novadolla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject:

Check this article out

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/11/24/9792242/jahlil-okafor-dangelo-russell-lakers-sixers-nba-draft-2015
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject:

Curry did him dirty on this play https://vine.co/v/izPMg9FXw6b

But besides that, Russell defended Klay and Curry well.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

He did a good job on Clay. He Always defend better SG.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

He still stayed with him and even tried to anticipate the spin. Managed a challenge on the shot too. The other angle shows it better. He literally layed it up with his quick release falling away. Pretty tough to contest it any better then Russell did there.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject:

novadolla wrote:
Check this article out

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/11/24/9792242/jahlil-okafor-dangelo-russell-lakers-sixers-nba-draft-2015

Okafor wins ROY.

Lakers finish out 2-80.

kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

100%

Possibly... but one thing is for sure the whole team looks different when Russell has the ball in his hand compared to when Clarkson, Williams, huertas. Not saying the results are better or worse, but the team just plays differently.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject:

You know you are lottery bound when after 2 and a half quarters fans are cheering a starting PG because he has 8 pts 4 reb 0 ast and the worst they call it a good game for his standards because the SF is 1-14, the C 0-3 and the SG 2-11.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject:

If there's one thing I want Russ to learn from Kobe this season, in what is likely their only season together, is how to make your presence known in every game. Don't play like one of the guys, play like THE guy. The biggest reason some of the draft picks who are getting hype vs Russell is that those guys are being aggressive. Last night Russ had all the reasons to take over. The Warriors had made the Lakers O completely out of sorts. Russ was in rhythm making shots early. It was time to go a little Kobe on them. And instead he played passive. That's on him, until he learns that.

We really need a #1 shot creator, a guy we can rely on to make shots and create when the O is dry. Someone who can give us 10-12 point quarters. Russ has the potential there, now its time for the mindset.

Ironic, but I wish Russ played more with Randle's aggression and mindset and Randle with Russ. Randle doesn't have the skill to play that aggressive and justify it yet, but Russ does. He can shoot the J, he can drive a bit, he can pass to an open teammate. He just doesn't know yet how to play at that gear and aggression in the NBA. If he does, he'll be a really good player IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
If there's one thing I want Russ to learn from Kobe this season, in what is likely their only season together, is how to make your presence known in every game. Don't play like one of the guys, play like THE guy. The biggest reason some of the draft picks who are getting hype vs Russell is that those guys are being aggressive. Last night Russ had all the reasons to take over. The Warriors had made the Lakers O completely out of sorts. Russ was in rhythm making shots early. It was time to go a little Kobe on them. And instead he played passive. That's on him, until he learns that.

We really need a #1 shot creator, a guy we can rely on to make shots and create when the O is dry. Someone who can give us 10-12 point quarters. Russ has the potential there, now its time for the mindset.

Ironic, but I wish Russ played more with Randle's aggression and mindset and Randle with Russ. Randle doesn't have the skill to play that aggressive and justify it yet, but Russ does. He can shoot the J, he can drive a bit, he can pass to an open teammate. He just doesn't know yet how to play at that gear and aggression in the NBA. If he does, he'll be a really good player IMO.

Aside from Porky, none of the top 5-6 rookies have to play with Kobe or basically call their own number to get a shot.

KAT gets as many shots as he wants.
Oak, well, they just force feed him all day.
Mudiay can go 0-20 and still play in the 4th.

DLO, well, you have Kobe demanding the ball (and I hope DLO finally waves him off soon). Randle/JC can sometimes be ball stoppers, and then you have Lou and Young.

If the P&M folks can't see this, then I'm sorry, there's really nothing more to discuss.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject:

D lo isn't the problem, his coach, scheme and the players he runs with is the problem.

BS needs to scrap whatever he is trying to do and let D lo PnR non-stop

I think Kobe needs to be benched in favor of an outside shooter at the SF, I'd rather see AB there at least it gives us a look at how he might develop

I also think Randle needs to go the bench in favor of nance. I think given where Randles game is at now he'd do much better with the second unit. Once he has a consistent jumper, better defense and boarding you can ease him back in. Right now Nance while not as talented I believe will fit better with Clarkson and D lo. All the things Nance brings to the table, hustle, boards, moving without the ball, not being a ball stopper would help the 1st unit far more than what Randle might bring offensively at this point imo
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Aside from Porky, none of the top 5-6 rookies have to play with Kobe or basically call their own number to get a shot.

KAT gets as many shots as he wants.
Oak, well, they just force feed him all day.
Mudiay can go 0-20 and still play in the 4th.

DLO, well, you have Kobe demanding the ball (and I hope DLO finally waves him off soon). Randle/JC can sometimes be ball stoppers, and then you have Lou and Young.

If the P&M folks can't see this, then I'm sorry, there's really nothing more to discuss.

Oakfor often has to dribble from the three point line to get a shot, he isn't fed in the post quite as often as people believes, he might end up in the post but he used a lot of moves to get there, he spends a lot of time at the perimeter screening and handing the ball off. What do you want the other players to do around Russell? He doesn't drive or do anything to initiate openings in the offense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 43 of 78
Jump to: