OFFICIAL Russell P&M Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 76, 77, 78  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
If there's one thing I want Russ to learn from Kobe this season, in what is likely their only season together, is how to make your presence known in every game. Don't play like one of the guys, play like THE guy. The biggest reason some of the draft picks who are getting hype vs Russell is that those guys are being aggressive. Last night Russ had all the reasons to take over. The Warriors had made the Lakers O completely out of sorts. Russ was in rhythm making shots early. It was time to go a little Kobe on them. And instead he played passive. That's on him, until he learns that.

We really need a #1 shot creator, a guy we can rely on to make shots and create when the O is dry. Someone who can give us 10-12 point quarters. Russ has the potential there, now its time for the mindset.

Ironic, but I wish Russ played more with Randle's aggression and mindset and Randle with Russ. Randle doesn't have the skill to play that aggressive and justify it yet, but Russ does. He can shoot the J, he can drive a bit, he can pass to an open teammate. He just doesn't know yet how to play at that gear and aggression in the NBA. If he does, he'll be a really good player IMO.

Aside from Porky, none of the top 5-6 rookies have to play with Kobe or basically call their own number to get a shot.

KAT gets as many shots as he wants.
Oak, well, they just force feed him all day.
Mudiay can go 0-20 and still play in the 4th.

DLO, well, you have Kobe demanding the ball (and I hope DLO finally waves him off soon). Randle/JC can sometimes be ball stoppers, and then you have Lou and Young.

If the P&M folks can't see this, then I'm sorry, there's really nothing more to discuss.

Oakfor often has to dribble from the three point line to get a shot, he isn't fed in the post quite as often as people believes, he might end up in the post but he used a lot of moves to get there, he spends a lot of time at the perimeter screening and handing the ball off. What do you want the other players to do around Russell? He doesn't drive or do anything to initiate openings in the offense.

Dude, he has a high usage rate. He gets to do whatever he wants with the ball. How he gets a shot off is irrelevant.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
If there's one thing I want Russ to learn from Kobe this season, in what is likely their only season together, is how to make your presence known in every game. Don't play like one of the guys, play like THE guy. The biggest reason some of the draft picks who are getting hype vs Russell is that those guys are being aggressive. Last night Russ had all the reasons to take over. The Warriors had made the Lakers O completely out of sorts. Russ was in rhythm making shots early. It was time to go a little Kobe on them. And instead he played passive. That's on him, until he learns that.

I think he's just doing what the coach (and Kobe) are telling him. Byron said it, other players aren't allowed to do what they want besides Kobe. He also said he wants Russell to be a facilitator (mainly for Kobe, apparently). I believe DLO would be benched if he shot more than Byron deemed appropriate.
botox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

We really need a #1 shot creator, a guy we can rely on to make shots and create when the O is dry. Someone who can give us 10-12 point quarters. Russ has the potential there, now its time for the mindset.

Ironic, but I wish Russ played more with Randle's aggression and mindset and Randle with Russ. Randle doesn't have the skill to play that aggressive and justify it yet, but Russ does. He can shoot the J, he can drive a bit, he can pass to an open teammate. He just doesn't know yet how to play at that gear and aggression in the NBA. If he does, he'll be a really good player IMO.

Aside from Porky, none of the top 5-6 rookies have to play with Kobe or basically call their own number to get a shot.

KAT gets as many shots as he wants.
Oak, well, they just force feed him all day.
Mudiay can go 0-20 and still play in the 4th.

DLO, well, you have Kobe demanding the ball (and I hope DLO finally waves him off soon). Randle/JC can sometimes be ball stoppers, and then you have Lou and Young.

If the P&M folks can't see this, then I'm sorry, there's really nothing more to discuss.

Oakfor often has to dribble from the three point line to get a shot, he isn't fed in the post quite as often as people believes, he might end up in the post but he used a lot of moves to get there, he spends a lot of time at the perimeter screening and handing the ball off. What do you want the other players to do around Russell? He doesn't drive or do anything to initiate openings in the offense.

Dude, he has a high usage rate. He gets to do whatever he wants with the ball. How he gets a shot off is irrelevant.

He has a high usage rate because there is no one else on that team that can score. Are there better options than Okafor on the Sixers?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject:

I don't disagree that Oak is the option for 76ers on offense. That wasn't in dispute at all.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject:

http://deadspin.com/byron-scott-is-still-being-stupid-about-dangelo-russell-1744605834

He's not given the same leeway as the other lottery picks. God forbid he pads his stats like Porzingis did in the Heat blowout game.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject:

Okafor is getting doubled teamed consistently at 19. His defense has been bad no doubt but if he ever gets a coach that can bring that out of him he's going to be scary good. I'm talking about 25/12/2 kind of player in 2 to 3 years. He destroyed Towns a couple days ago. Russell has many chuckers but he's also not that aggressive. He needs to be selfish sometimes.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

Porzingis has to play with Melo, and isn't a guard, but he is aggressive with taking his shots. At least in recenet weeks he's picked it up after starting slow.

Mudiay is just too much, but something in between what Russ is doing and Mudiay would be fantastic.

Towns is not the team's primary guy at all, he's playing with Wiggins and Rubio both of whom take a lot of plays for themselves. There's KMart as well there.

You can't blame it all on coaching or talent, because the ball starts with Russ on many plays, he's just not confident and aggressive enough yet. It will come, I think but it may take some time. I'm patient, but I definitely hope Kobe rubs off on Russ in this regard. It'll separate him from being a solid player vs being a very good player.

Take for instance 18 year old Kobe, he was on a team loaded, a WC powerhouse, but he wasn't passive. I'm not expecting Russ to become Kobe like, but if he wants to be Harden 2.0 like the FO envisions him to be, he has to be more aggressive. Even Ginobli when he plays - makes things happen and quick. The decision comes fast and deliberate. Once Russ learns that, he'll be a very very good player. Regardless who is coaching him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't disagree that Oak is the option for 76ers on offense. That wasn't in dispute at all.

And you can't disagree that it is an inefficient way to run your offense.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Porzingis has to play with Melo, and isn't a guard, but he is aggressive with taking his shots. At least in recenet weeks he's picked it up after starting slow.

Mudiay is just too much, but something in between what Russ is doing and Mudiay would be fantastic.

Towns is not the team's primary guy at all, he's playing with Wiggins and Rubio both of whom take a lot of plays for themselves. There's KMart as well there.

You can't blame it all on coaching or talent, because the ball starts with Russ on many plays, he's just not confident and aggressive enough yet. It will come, I think but it may take some time. I'm patient, but I definitely hope Kobe rubs off on Russ in this regard. It'll separate him from being a solid player vs being a very good player.

Take for instance 18 year old Kobe, he was on a team loaded, a WC powerhouse, but he wasn't passive. I'm not expecting Russ to become Kobe like, but if he wants to be Harden 2.0 like the FO envisions him to be, he has to be more aggressive. Even Ginobli when he plays - makes things happen and quick. The decision comes fast and deliberate. Once Russ learns that, he'll be a very very good player. Regardless who is coaching him.

So you'd rather have DLO call his own number more? I think he's trying to play within his coach's system. Now, whether following that lemming to the edge of the cliff is the right idea is another question, but not sure if DLO will mutiny in his rookie year, particularly if vets like Kobe haven't yet.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Okafor is getting doubled teamed consistently at 19. His defense has been bad no doubt but if he ever gets a coach that can bring that out of him he's going to be scary good. I'm talking about 25/12/2 kind of player in 2 to 3 years. He destroyed Towns a couple days ago. Russell has many chuckers but he's also not that aggressive. He needs to be selfish sometimes.

I really don't think Okafors defense has been that bad, if you watched him destroy towns then you should have seen him also shutting Towns down along with blocking him twice, he also does a good job stepping out on guards.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

So you'd rather have DLO call his own number more? I think he's trying to play within his coach's system. Now, whether following that lemming to the edge of the cliff is the right idea is another question, but not sure if DLO will mutiny in his rookie year, particularly if vets like Kobe haven't yet.

I am with Wolf, there have been many times I have thought that DLO should have put a shot up. But you could be right, if Scott told him to play a certain way I am certain he will play that way. He is a 19 yo guy trying to learn to play in the NBA, the last thing to do in that situation is to defy what your coach wants you to do.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject:

DLO is a young player. Still figuring it out. And he needs to contend with Kobe shooting so much. He can still grow as a player, despite Kobe being such a ball hog. Too bad the coach thinks it's fine that Kobe shoots so much.

That makes it even harder for Dlo.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject:

Byron should be telling DLO to be aggressive with his shot. The more of a threat he becomes on offense the easier it will be for him to get teammates open shots.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject:

It's a bit easier said than done. At age 19, playing with one of the all time greats, I can understand why he defers.

I think we see a totally different player and team when Kobe hangs it up.
scott12199
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Russell is calling 90% o the plays now. He should be more aggressive.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject:

scott12199 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

While getting benched in the 4th. Gotcha.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I am with Wolf, there have been many times I have thought that DLO should have put a shot up. But you could be right, if Scott told him to play a certain way I am certain he will play that way. He is a 19 yo guy trying to learn to play in the NBA, the last thing to do in that situation is to defy what your coach wants you to do.

Well last night he put up 3 shots in 5 minutes had 4 of the teams 7 points when he was pulled. Started of aggressive and had to sit.
scott12199
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
scott12199 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

While getting benched in the 4th. Gotcha.

He still plays about 25-30 minutes out there. During those 25-30 be more aggressive. Don't come down and just pass Kobe the ball. I want to see him use a screen and set the guys up for money shots. Time for Russell to put on the big boy pants and be the BOSS. He has been given the keys and 90% of the calls are on him, now do something with it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject:

That's fine. But it'll take some time for a 19 year old to tell a HOFer Kobe to piss off. Would be good for both actually but it'll take some time.
botox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

I really don't think Okafors defense has been that bad, if you watched him destroy towns then you should have seen him also shutting Towns down along with blocking him twice, he also does a good job stepping out on guards.

He has the same weaknesses as Hibbert does on defense. Yet Hibbert is considered a defensive genius. Neither are good at guarding the high PNRs. Both are reluctant to come out of paint because they're slow laterally. If they do come out, guards are going to blow right by them.

He needs to develop better awareness on help defense and to simply get his hands up. He can easily be as effective as Hibbert. He lacks an inch on Hibbert's standing reach, but his wingspan is much better. To say he'll never be a competent defender is crazy.

He so skilled and big offensively, he'd punish the Draymond Green's of the world for switching onto him. Something Hibbert and most bigs in the NBA can't do cause they got no skill.
scott12199
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
That's fine. But it'll take some time for a 19 year old to tell a HOFer Kobe to piss off. Would be good for both actually but it'll take some time.

He needs to do it slowly to not hurt kobe's feelings. Start with a wave off a quarter. Once the kid builds up enough balls he can do it more.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject:

scott12199 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

He needs to do it slowly to not hurt kobe's feelings. Start with a wave off a quarter. Once the kid builds up enough balls he can do it more.

And truth be told, a 37 year old Kobe is all but internally begging the kid to do it.
scott12199
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
scott12199 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

And truth be told, a 37 year old Kobe is all but internally begging the kid to do it.

Begging the kid to do it? my question is why hasn't he be doing it.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Clarkson and Lou initiate the O when Russ sits yet they are able to do what he isn't.

I get you want to blame Scott for all but you're hiding from the truth that's been obvious - Russ isn't playing aggressive. That's on him not his teammates or coach.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Clarkson and Lou initiate the O when Russ sits yet they are able to do what he isn't.

I get you want to blame Scott for all but you're hiding from the truth that's been obvious - Russ isn't playing aggressive. That's on him not his teammates or coach.

That's false. Russell plays team ball. We are a better offensive team with Russell running the show. Lou and Clarkson may be aggressive and to you it may look like they are doing something but the numbers say it is less efficient than what Russell is doing when he has the ball.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 44 of 78
Jump to: