OFFICIAL Russell P&M Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 76, 77, 78  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject:

scott12199 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
scott12199 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Porzingis has to play with Melo, and isn't a guard, but he is aggressive with taking his shots. At least in recenet weeks he's picked it up after starting slow.

Mudiay is just too much, but something in between what Russ is doing and Mudiay would be fantastic.

Towns is not the team's primary guy at all, he's playing with Wiggins and Rubio both of whom take a lot of plays for themselves. There's KMart as well there.

You can't blame it all on coaching or talent, because the ball starts with Russ on many plays, he's just not confident and aggressive enough yet. It will come, I think but it may take some time. I'm patient, but I definitely hope Kobe rubs off on Russ in this regard. It'll separate him from being a solid player vs being a very good player.

Take for instance 18 year old Kobe, he was on a team loaded, a WC powerhouse, but he wasn't passive. I'm not expecting Russ to become Kobe like, but if he wants to be Harden 2.0 like the FO envisions him to be, he has to be more aggressive. Even Ginobli when he plays - makes things happen and quick. The decision comes fast and deliberate. Once Russ learns that, he'll be a very very good player. Regardless who is coaching him.

So you'd rather have DLO call his own number more? I think he's trying to play within his coach's system. Now, whether following that lemming to the edge of the cliff is the right idea is another question, but not sure if DLO will mutiny in his rookie year, particularly if vets like Kobe haven't yet.

Russell is calling 90% o the plays now. He should be more aggressive.

While getting benched in the 4th. Gotcha.

He still plays about 25-30 minutes out there. During those 25-30 be more aggressive. Don't come down and just pass Kobe the ball. I want to see him use a screen and set the guys up for money shots. Time for Russell to put on the big boy pants and be the BOSS. He has been given the keys and 90% of the calls are on him, now do something with it.

It matters little what you want to see, what does matter is what the coach wants to see. If he wanted Russell to use a screen and set guys up we would be seeing that. You can't just make up things you want to see a player do and then criticize him when he doesn't do it.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Russell1 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Porzingis has to play with Melo, and isn't a guard, but he is aggressive with taking his shots. At least in recenet weeks he's picked it up after starting slow.

Mudiay is just too much, but something in between what Russ is doing and Mudiay would be fantastic.

Towns is not the team's primary guy at all, he's playing with Wiggins and Rubio both of whom take a lot of plays for themselves. There's KMart as well there.

You can't blame it all on coaching or talent, because the ball starts with Russ on many plays, he's just not confident and aggressive enough yet. It will come, I think but it may take some time. I'm patient, but I definitely hope Kobe rubs off on Russ in this regard. It'll separate him from being a solid player vs being a very good player.

Take for instance 18 year old Kobe, he was on a team loaded, a WC powerhouse, but he wasn't passive. I'm not expecting Russ to become Kobe like, but if he wants to be Harden 2.0 like the FO envisions him to be, he has to be more aggressive. Even Ginobli when he plays - makes things happen and quick. The decision comes fast and deliberate. Once Russ learns that, he'll be a very very good player. Regardless who is coaching him.

So you'd rather have DLO call his own number more? I think he's trying to play within his coach's system. Now, whether following that lemming to the edge of the cliff is the right idea is another question, but not sure if DLO will mutiny in his rookie year, particularly if vets like Kobe haven't yet.

Clarkson and Lou initiate the O when Russ sits yet they are able to do what he isn't.

I get you want to blame Scott for all but you're hiding from the truth that's been obvious - Russ isn't playing aggressive. That's on him not his teammates or coach.

That's false. Russell plays team ball. We are a better offensive team with Russell running the show. Lou and Clarkson may be aggressive and to you it may look like they are doing something but the numbers say it is less efficient than what Russell is doing when he has the ball.

Lou especially has almost no court vision, he's a 2. Clarkson has a good balance. Russell should take a page out of Clarkson's book. JC last year and when he's the point this year (which has been rare) picks his spots - and attacks right away. He makes the decision and then if there's someone open gets them the ball. Russ is even better than JC at recognizing the open man.

So what Russ needs to is attack the D a bit, take the pull up jumper if it's there. If he starts making it, opponents will begin to send a man at him, then he's able to pass to open teammates. It's not that complicated. Russ' timidness combined with Scott's coaching has led to this. It's not only Scott.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Clarkson and Lou initiate the O when Russ sits yet they are able to do what he isn't.

I get you want to blame Scott for all but you're hiding from the truth that's been obvious - Russ isn't playing aggressive. That's on him not his teammates or coach.

That's false. Russell plays team ball. We are a better offensive team with Russell running the show. Lou and Clarkson may be aggressive and to you it may look like they are doing something but the numbers say it is less efficient than what Russell is doing when he has the ball.

Lou especially has almost no court vision, he's a 2. Clarkson has a good balance. Russell should take a page out of Clarkson's book. JC last year and when he's the point this year (which has been rare) picks his spots - and attacks right away. He makes the decision and then if there's someone open gets them the ball. Russ is even better than JC at recognizing the open man.

So what Russ needs to is attack the D a bit, take the pull up jumper if it's there. If he starts making it, opponents will begin to send a man at him, then he's able to pass to open teammates. It's not that complicated. Russ' timidness combined with Scott's coaching has led to this. It's not only Scott.

He is playing timid, but you have to wonder how much of it is sticking to the so-called "gameplan". Playing as wild as Mudiay, who is one of the league leaders in turnovers, will earn him a trip to the bench. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't kind of situation.

I say let him make mistakes and keep him in the game. He adjusts a lot quicker than the other rookies.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject:

That's what I'm saying though. There's a fine line between timid/passive and erratic. Mudiay is one extreme, Russ the other right now.

Russ has to have faith in his game and I think if he steps up the aggression only good things will happen. His shots, points, even assists should rise. I think it happens at some point this season, and then we'll all see it wasn't just the O or Byron it was Russ just feeling comfortable being the man. It happened for JC late in the season last year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject:

There isn't a fine line. He isn't playing for garbage ass Denver. He is playing for the all time Lakers and a legend in Kobe. Of course he is timid.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Russell1 wrote:
There isn't a fine line. He isn't playing for garbage ass Denver. He is playing for the all time Lakers and a legend in Kobe. Of course he is timid.

And yet there were 2 games without Kobe and what were the results? Not any increase in aggression.

In fact, he's been the most aggressive in the last few weeks and he's been calling his number more, which has happened with Bryant on the court with him.

But I won't really get too much into the Russell is passive talk, because people seem to equate that with calling him a bust. I'm saying that he can be far more aggressive, he is choosing not to be. That's not only on his teammate (Kobe) or coach (Byron). A little bit is also on him. If you don't think some of it is on him, ok.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Russell1 wrote:

And yet there were 2 games without Kobe and what were the results? Not any increase in aggression.

In fact, he's been the most aggressive in the last few weeks and he's been calling his number more, which has happened with Bryant on the court with him.

But I won't really get too much into the Russell is passive talk, because people seem to equate that with calling him a bust. I'm saying that he can be far more aggressive, he is choosing not to be. That's not only on his teammate (Kobe) or coach (Byron). A little bit is also on him. If you don't think some of it is on him, ok.

Those were like his 6th and 7th games ever in the NBA. Get a grip. Lol. Look at Harden and Manu 1st year in the NBA. Look at Westbrook. Quit reaching
novadolla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

I agree with this. He has to be more aggressive.
novadolla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

There are times when we go into scoring droughts and he is probably the only guy on the court who can create his own shot, he needs to be more aggressive in those situations, no one is saying he needs to go all out westbrook all game.
novadolla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
Byron should be telling DLO to be aggressive with his shot. The more of a threat he becomes on offense the easier it will be for him to get teammates open shots.

This makes too much sense. Byron would never encourage this.
novadolla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject:

botox wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Okafor is getting doubled teamed consistently at 19. His defense has been bad no doubt but if he ever gets a coach that can bring that out of him he's going to be scary good. I'm talking about 25/12/2 kind of player in 2 to 3 years. He destroyed Towns a couple days ago. Russell has many chuckers but he's also not that aggressive. He needs to be selfish sometimes.

I really don't think Okafors defense has been that bad, if you watched him destroy towns then you should have seen him also shutting Towns down along with blocking him twice, he also does a good job stepping out on guards.

He has the same weaknesses as Hibbert does on defense. Yet Hibbert is considered a defensive genius. Neither are good at guarding the high PNRs. Both are reluctant to come out of paint because they're slow laterally. If they do come out, guards are going to blow right by them.

He needs to develop better awareness on help defense and to simply get his hands up. He can easily be as effective as Hibbert. He lacks an inch on Hibbert's standing reach, but his wingspan is much better. To say he'll never be a competent defender is crazy.

He so skilled and big offensively, he'd punish the Draymond Green's of the world for switching onto him. Something Hibbert and most bigs in the NBA can't do cause they got no skill.

This is exactly my thoughts as well. All this and he is only 19.
novadolla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Russell1 wrote:

You're wasting your time trying to point out the obvious. They wouldn't understand because they are not objective.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject:

People don't even know what goes on at practice or what Byron tells Russell bet they can make a statement and say Russell chooses to do something a certain way. Lol. Quit reaching. You don't know, it is an opinion
scott12199
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
scott12199 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
scott12199 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

He still plays about 25-30 minutes out there. During those 25-30 be more aggressive. Don't come down and just pass Kobe the ball. I want to see him use a screen and set the guys up for money shots. Time for Russell to put on the big boy pants and be the BOSS. He has been given the keys and 90% of the calls are on him, now do something with it.

It matters little what you want to see, what does matter is what the coach wants to see. If he wanted Russell to use a screen and set guys up we would be seeing that. You can't just make up things you want to see a player do and then criticize him when he doesn't do it.

What did i make up exactly? Did Blockbuster not come out and said Russell calls 90% of the plays now? Does Russell not come down and pass to kobe majority of the time? What exactly am i making up so i can criticize Russell? I want the guy to succeed and i said nothing offense about him in this post. All i want is to see him more aggressive.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject:

novadolla wrote:
The Thief wrote:
Byron should be telling DLO to be aggressive with his shot. The more of a threat he becomes on offense the easier it will be for him to get teammates open shots.

If Byron wants Russell to be more aggressive he needs to stop screwing with his playing time. Russell was the first starter benched in the first quarter last night despite being the only Laker doing anything offensively.
novadolla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
novadolla wrote:
The Thief wrote:

If Byron wants Russell to be more aggressive he needs to stop screwing with his playing time. Russell was the first starter benched in the first quarter last night despite being the only Laker doing anything offensively.

Good point, this whole situation is such a mess. Like I said I feel bad for him, because I think he can actually be more effective than he is with a legitimate coach.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject:

scott12199 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
scott12199 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
scott12199 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

What did i make up exactly? Did Blockbuster not come out and said Russell calls 90% of the plays now? Does Russell not come down and pass to kobe majority of the time? What exactly am i making up so i can criticize Russell? I want the guy to succeed and i said nothing offense about him in this post. All i want is to see him more aggressive.

Calling the plays doesn't exactly mean doing whatever you want. While I would like to see him pass the ball to Kobe less I'm sure how that dynamic is set up because Kobe was demanding the ball last night.

Also, when people bring up aggressiveness when it comes to this team that just makes me think about jacking up more shots because that's what all the other players are doing lol. I think Russell is trending in the right direction in terms of aggressiveness and is definitely doing more with the ball so I have no concern there.

The things I would like to see Russell work on is strength and continue to add to his game because everything else probably won't change with Byron around since players just look lost out there.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Two things missing from the discussion:

- When Russell and Kobe are on the floor, they run the triangle offense 90% of the time. This often involves: for the three man game, a pass to Kobe on the wing and a cut to the corner, or for the two man game, a ball reversal to Kobe on the top, or an entry to Kobe in the pinch post. The team passing is generally better in these sets than the other sets, but it definitely is not something where the PG is asked to create.

- Byron has told Russell that he's not looking for him to average 20 points, but instead to run the offense and be a facilitator (and also to be aggressive at the same time, which is really funny when you try to put all three of these things together [nick young confused face].)
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Two things missing from the discussion:

- When Russell and Kobe are on the floor, they run the triangle offense 90% of the time. This often involves: for the three man game, a pass to Kobe on the wing and a cut to the corner, or for the two man game, a ball reversal to Kobe on the top, or an entry to Kobe in the pinch post. The team passing is generally better in these sets than the other sets, but it definitely is not something where the PG is asked to create.

- Byron has told Russell that he's not looking for him to average 20 points, but instead to run the offense and be a facilitator (and also to be aggressive at the same time, which is really funny when you try to put all three of these things together [nick young confused face].)

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:

Russell1 wrote:

Plus with a coach with a quick trigger finger. I understand what Scott is doing and why, but when you have to play looking over your shoulder it is tough to go balls out. Hopefully Russell gets the attitude of F the coach, I am taking over. I think we saw some of that from Randle in the second half last game.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Russell1 wrote:

Plus with a coach with a quick trigger finger. I understand what Scott is doing and why, but when you have to play looking over your shoulder it is tough to go balls out. Hopefully Russell gets the attitude of F the coach, I am taking over. I think we saw some of that from Randle in the second half last game.

I don't want to see that. I want Russell to be who he is and play his game. Listen to the coaches and the front office. Play the game the right way.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Russell1 wrote:

I don't want to see that. I want Russell to be who he is and play his game. Listen to the coaches and the front office. Play the game the right way.

You can't be who you are with someone breathing over your neck. That is why micromanaging bosses are always a negative in the workplace.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Russell1 wrote:

You can't be who you are with someone breathing over your neck. That is why micromanaging bosses are always a negative in the workplace.

thats true but I don't want him to pick up bad habits trying to prove anything either. he plays the game the right way and I want him to continue doing that. If he turns into a ball dominant chucker I will literally stop watching basketball (NBA).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject:

novadolla wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Russell1 wrote:

You're wasting your time trying to point out the obvious. They wouldn't understand because they are not objective.

Objective? This is quite ironic coming from your camp.
aznmc12
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:

at least russell doesnt get into street fights in boston...

https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/669967631957422080
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 45 of 78
Jump to: