The 3 point is not always the best solution/Can we put a yellow light on the 3's?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

As a testament to his hard work, given minutes, Clarkson is the Lakers best 3 point shooter right now at 45.5%, but takes only 3.7 a game.

Young (41.9%, 5.2 attempts)
DLO (30%, 3.8 attempts)
Lou (17.6%, 5.7 attempts)
Kobe (20.8%, 8 attempts).

The 2 guys who take the most 3s happen to be the worst at shooting them so far.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Well we should get some 3 point shooters first instead of watching Kobe launch missed 3 after missed 3. Randle is a weak link after Kobe from 3s. Gives us 0 spacing from out there.

At this point, I just rather call 10 post/mid-range ISO's for Bryant and banning from taking 3's. It's ridiculous. He's shooting 30 percent on the season. All this talk about retirement. Ok, but he's also taking way too many 3's. Russell's taking 5 three's a game, Lou another 5 I think. Between Kobe, Russ and Lou, none of them are making enough 3's to be allowed to take that many.

I rather literally run a P/R for Lou or Russ, or give Kobe post ups, than this. There has to be a way where we can cut down on these 3's. Byron I know said last season he didn't want to shoot so many 3's. Then this year he had his meeting with the Lakers analytics guys and thinks 3's are good. The truth is you use the analytics to milk the higher percentage plays for your players. For us it's not the 3 ball for many of our players. Other than Nick Young, every player should have a red light on shooting 3's IMO and get focused on how to execute the offense better. We're too talented to giving teams these free gifts. We're not good enough a 3 point shooting a team to be shooting 30 three pointers a game. And worst, people think we're actually running Princeton/Triangle. We're running a jack (bleep) version of it.

This x1000.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject:

I want DLO taking at least 4 3PAs a game.
I hate it when he settles for midrange shots when he could've taken a 3.
I don't think he's worth the playing time if he isn't aggressive from deep.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I want DLO taking at least 4 3PAs a game.
I hate it when he settles for midrange shots when he could've taken a 3.
I don't think he's worth the playing time if he isn't aggressive from deep.

That college 3 area is where he's most comfortable. I don't like it either, but for the time being as he gets his feet wet I'm OK with it.
FromMagicToKobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Kobe has shot us out of the DEN, MIN, and NYK games with his horrid 3 pt shooting. I really believe we would be 4-3 right now if he wasn't on the team. I don't feel sorry for him either because he's alienated so many players and coaches in the past. I appreciate everything he's done but Magic will always be the greatest Laker of all time.

get over it. Kobe is playing bad but 4-3 without him? He shot us out of 3 games (as if he's the only one playing bad)? Temper your emotions brother
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
KyrieRubio wrote:
Young loves 3s. Kobe loves 3s. Lou Will loves drawing fouls on them. JC shoots them usually only when he is open/neccessary. D lo kind of loves them. Even Artest loves shooting 3s.

This is my biggest complaint with Byron this year. No accountablity. He talks about Princeton, his principles etc. If Tex or Pete Carril saw this live, they'd want to shoot the players.

Quote:
Well I think Kobe's taking a lot of 3s to save wear and tear on his body and because he can't get separationnin the post against defenders pre injury. It's easier to get the ball out at 25 feet and chuck it I suppose for him. It's a culmination of all the injuries IMO.

Disagree - I think it's mostly where he's getting the ball in a disorganized undisciplined offense. If Lakers were running Tri with Vujcaic, Fisher, Gasol, Walton even - and I'm talking about current version of those players (All but Gasol can't play anymore so I know how limited that team would be) I'd promise you he'd be getting more plays closer to mid-range and in. There's not much there for Bryant to get.

Just look at where Melo was getting the ball today, BTW. And Melo's not as high a IQ player or can read defenses as well as Bryant.

I agree and strongly believe in limiting the 3s. We don't have players who can shoot remotely close to being allowed to take so many 3s. The offensive system matters. Alot. It looks terrible right now - guys are going to spots taking shots in places they have no business taking them in.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
As a testament to his hard work, given minutes, Clarkson is the Lakers best 3 point shooter right now at 45.5%, but takes only 3.7 a game.

DLO (30%, 3.8 attempts)

Sometimes it's not the 3pt itself but when and how they take their 3pt shots. Are they under duress, is it a last minute hopeless shot. I see a lot of that particularly from Kobe, Lou is actually running the team which is why he wears his legs and his shot suffers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

DLO (30%, 3.8 attempts)

Sometimes it's not the 3pt itself but when and how they take their 3pt shots. Are they under duress, is it a last minute hopeless shot. I see a lot of that particularly from Kobe, Lou is actually running the team which is why he wears his legs and his shot suffers.

Sure a few times. But out of Kobe's 8 attempts, a lot are with plenty of time on the clock. Lou ,well, 18 % is a bit ridiculous given his proficiency from 3.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject:

clarkson's 3s come off a lot of drive and kick for open looks. that's a great shot. a lot of the other threes are a result of no off ball movement, no ball movement, into kobe isolation into contested 3. that's a terrible shot.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject:

FromMagicToKobe wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Kobe has shot us out of the DEN, MIN, and NYK games with his horrid 3 pt shooting. I really believe we would be 4-3 right now if he wasn't on the team. I don't feel sorry for him either because he's alienated so many players and coaches in the past. I appreciate everything he's done but Magic will always be the greatest Laker of all time.

get over it. Kobe is playing bad but 4-3 without him? He shot us out of 3 games (as if he's the only one playing bad)? Temper your emotions brother

Its not really that far fetched. He has shot very poorly in several of the losses and they still nearly won those games. This is a small sample size though. Over the course of the season, they will have a bad record with or without him.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject:

run 8 seconds off the clock while guys stand there and stare at each other, nobody offering to set a pick for the guy with the ball, then somebody cuts 30 feet from the basket to get the first pass in our exciting offense, another few seconds go by as everybody cuts, sometimes running into each other and then... the iso game begins as somebody goes 1 on 3, usually starting from the 3 point area.

Byron is a dark, dark genius in the Tank Game... assuming he's trying to tank?

laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Kobe and Lou setting bad example in shooting

Kobe and Lou are volume shooters. That is why Lou did not get resigned.
And Kobe is NOT the great shooter he once was. He is a shadow of himself.

So Kobe cannot play the volume shooting game that he used to. He is really hurting the Lakers by taking those bad shots, FOR THE ROOKIES COPY HIM.

He is teaching the rookies to take bad shots. This is a terrible legacy. I wish Kobe would read this for this is important.

If Kobe and Lou could teach the things that wins championships, they would leave a better legacy and gain more respect.

Teach ball movement and player movement.
Teach team defense.

If they started taking less bad shots the Lakers will be winning more.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe and Lou setting bad example in shooting

laker50 wrote:
Kobe and Lou are volume shooters. That is why Lou did not get resigned.
And Kobe is NOT the great shooter he once was. He is a shadow of himself.

So Kobe cannot play the volume shooting game that he used to. He is really hurting the Lakers by taking those bad shots, FOR THE ROOKIES COPY HIM.

He is teaching the rookies to take bad shots. This is a terrible legacy. I wish Kobe would read this for this is important.

If Kobe and Lou could teach the things that wins championships, they would leave a better legacy and gain more respect.

Teach ball movement and player movement.
Teach team defense.

If they started taking less bad shots the Lakers will be winning more.

In fairness, Lou didn't get re-signed because they wanted to move DeRozan to 2 and sign Corey Joseph (for defensive reasons) and Carroll. Made them a better defensive team and didn't leave a spot for Lou.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, I'm more than okay with the number of 3-point attempts.

I just don't want a shot taken when it's contested or off-the-dribble.

Scratch that. Russell, Clarkson, and Young can take pull up 3s off the dribble. No one else. Not even Williams.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

FromMagicToKobe wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

What can you expect from dave 2.0. He has one million hate post about Kobe.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Scratch that. Russell, Clarkson, and Young can take pull up 3s off the dribble. No one else. Not even Williams.

Yeah, I agree. It's not the number. It's the number of quality attempts. A lot of the pullups are happening with 10 secs or so left on the clock.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I would keep Young as far away from the 3 as possible.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Why, it is his best shot, especially in spot up mode.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Young's strength is the 3 ball.

I was referring to Kobe, DLO and Lou taking so many 3's, many of them of the pull up off the dribble/iso type. Can we just make sure the 3's come within the context of the O? And Kobe isn't supposed to be standing out that far away and taking 3's at this stage in his career anyway. WTH is Byron doing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
Kobe's actually shooting fairly well from inside the 3 point line, which is why it's so perplexing that he's settling for so many threes

the question is can he consistently get shots inside the 3point arc. it might e physically hard for him to do it hence he resorts to 3's
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject:

Kobe is the main culprit here. It's very sad to watch him play at this level. He's not even a glimpse of what he once was. He's much to proud to be a role player so let's get used to him jacking up 3's, believing he' still the go to guy, when actually he's very simple to defend. I guess he's earned the right to do what the hell he wants to do this last year. Let's face it we weren't going to the play-offs anyway so let's just hope our young guys show promise and wait until free agency. That's reality.
rtsmith
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject:

I'd prefer them shooting more 3s than the long 2s they were doing last year
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Why, it is his best shot, especially in spot up mode.

Young needs to work on his 3s and his selection of when he takes them.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject:

I showed up early to the game last Friday and I saw Kobe hit something like 13 out of 15 3 ptrs during warm-ups. I think he is truly practicing the 3's and he wants to adapt his game.

Given what we know about Kobe, maybe we just give him a chance to go through the learning curve and this soon starts translating into the games

Okay now back to the falling sky and ing on Kobe.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject:

These are the kinds of threes we should be eliminating.

https://vine.co/v/elZb5gTie1n
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: