How does a team stop Golden State?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject:

The GSW team reminds me of the Walt Frazier Knicks in the best senses, for the similarities in overall defensive balance and the fast pass, hit-the-open-man style of offense. The factor which led to the Knicks downturn was player aging.

Yowee, the Warriors are young.

I suspect that we as Laker fans have a long wait on our hands before the Warriors' play tails off, short of bad luck: a couple debilitating Warrior player injures, an unhappy Warrior soul who leaves for free agency, or a front office misstep in the trading market. I think the weakest area of play for the Warriors is against a dominant big man; that's where they can be hurt now.

I kinda enjoy watching their club and I don't wish ill on many people. The Lakers have their work cut out for them; it feels that our club may not catch up before the time Curry's game is fading.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

The team that could stop GS would have to beat up Curry and gang on the defensive end. Punish and smother the main scorers.

Something akin to the 04 Pistons or Bad Boys version. Otherwise the league gives the team too much latitude.

Bye.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject:

I'd like to see out '08-'09 team vs this GSW team.

I'd put Kobe on Steph, Ariza on Klay, Fish on Barnes, LO on Greene, and Pau on Bogut

This might force GSW into going to that fish on barnes mismatch. Which would be exactly what I'd want. Takes them out of their offense, and I think fish would be able to hold his own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

I'd put Kobe on Steph, Ariza on Klay, Fish on Barnes, LO on Greene, and Pau on Bogut

This might force GSW into going to that fish on barnes mismatch. Which would be exactly what I'd want. Takes them out of their offense, and I think fish would be able to hold his own.

That 08-09 team we're putting Ariza to hound Curry. Unfortunately, Kobe may play a little too much free-safety defense on Klay.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:

That 08-09 team we're putting Ariza to hound Curry. Unfortunately, Kobe may play a little too much free-safety defense on Klay.

I'd go with that at times just to give curry different looks, but he's not gonna get the benefit of the doubt from the refs on Curry like Kobe would.

But Kobe would absolutely not be roaming in this series. He knows the shooters they have. He would be locked in. He'd have to defend like he did against AI in the finals.

The LO vs draymond matchup is intriguing too. I think LO takes it though
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:

I'd go with that at times just to give curry different looks, but he's not gonna get the benefit of the doubt from the refs on Curry like Kobe would.

But Kobe would absolutely not be roaming in this series. He knows the shooters they have. He would be locked in. He'd have to defend like he did against AI in the finals.

With the Boston/Orlando wins, Lakers correctly and wisely put Ariza/Artest on best perimeter players. Just too much of a load for Kobe to be guarding the best player AND being the best offensive player.

For maybe key stretches in a game, sure, but not a majority of the game. Ariza would have been an intruiging matchup for Curry.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Slow the pace of the game. Post up a big Center and get Green in foul trouble. Limit 2nd chance baskets, no offensive rebounds for the Warriors. Make Curry work on the defensive end.

In other words, the 2000-2002, 2009-2010 Lakers.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:

With the Boston/Orlando wins, Lakers correctly and wisely put Ariza/Artest on best perimeter players. Just too much of a load for Kobe to be guarding the best player AND being the best offensive player.

For maybe key stretches in a game, sure, but not a majority of the game. Ariza would have been an intruiging matchup for Curry.

they also put Fisher on Allen to chase him around screens which would have been analogous to me putting him on Klay. I'd choose to put him on Barnes. But this GSW team is a lot different than Boston/Orlando. So I would match it up different. Most of the game I'd have Kobe guarding Steph
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:

they also put Fisher on Allen to chase him around screens which would have been analogous to me putting him on Klay. I'd choose to put him on Barnes. But this GSW team is a lot different than Boston/Orlando. So I would match it up different. Most of the game I'd have Kobe guarding Steph

Problem is Kobe would run out of gas in a 7 game series. Probably would see:

Ariza on Curry
Fisher on Klay (like Ray Allen)
Kobe on Barnes playing a little free safety.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:

Problem is Kobe would run out of gas in a 7 game series. Probably would see:

Ariza on Curry
Fisher on Klay (like Ray Allen)
Kobe on Barnes playing a little free safety.

he wasn't 37 in '08-'09 lol

That's the matchup I'd go with most of the time
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject:

Plus, Steph is not the type of player where you get worn down physically. If Delli can bother him without getting worn down, I'm sure Kobe can lol.

Now if I had Kobe guarding Lebron for a full 7 games, then I can see the concern because of the physicality
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject:

The problem is the Lakers offense wouldn't be able to withstand Kobe chasing Curry around all game and losing a bit on the offensive end.

Kobe guarded Rondo precisely b/c he couldn't shoot, and the team didn't want him wearing down chasing Allen around or banging around with Pierce.

Why not conserve Kobe for the offensive end (which is what they did against Orlando and Boston, so I think I have a bit of history on my side. ).
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject:

Because for me the goal is to disrupt GSW's offense. I worry about that more than I do conserving Kobe's energy. I think with my matchups it takes GSW out of what they want to do more. Additionally I don't think Kobe would get tired guarding Steph.

I think we can score against them already, especially since I think they have no answer for Bean defensively. Our skilled size would be too much. If Kobe loses anything on O, LO and Pau can pick it up.

The historical point is nearly moot because GSW plays nothing like Boston or Orlando from those years. Or will you just adopt Scott's method of doing the same thing because it worked before?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Because for me the goal is to disrupt GSW's offense. I worry about that more than I do conserving Kobe's energy. I think with my matchups it takes GSW out of what they want to do more. Additionally I don't think Kobe would get tired guarding Steph.

I think we can score against them already, especially since I think they have no answer for Bean defensively. Our skilled size would be too much. If Kobe loses anything on O, LO and Pau can pick it up.

The historical point is nearly moot because GSW plays nothing like Boston or Orlando from those years. Or will you just adopt Scott's method of doing the same thing because it worked before?

Kobe can't do everything. I'd wager a lot that Kobe wouldn't be primarily guarding Ariza if you polled most of the top coaches. End of game, no problem. Just a lot to ask of Kobe.

Remember, Kobe didn't guard Allen Iverson either in the 76ers series (Fisher/Lue had that thankless task).

(if history means anything to you...Phil Jax style).
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
The GSW team reminds me of the Walt Frazier Knicks in the best senses, for the similarities in overall defensive balance and the fast pass, hit-the-open-man style of offense. The factor which led to the Knicks downturn was player aging.

Yowee, the Warriors are young.

I suspect that we as Laker fans have a long wait on our hands before the Warriors' play tails off, short of bad luck: a couple debilitating Warrior player injures, an unhappy Warrior soul who leaves for free agency, or a front office misstep in the trading market. I think the weakest area of play for the Warriors is against a dominant big man; that's where they can be hurt now.

I kinda enjoy watching their club and I don't wish ill on many people. The Lakers have their work cut out for them; it feels that our club may not catch up before the time Curry's game is fading.

With the oldest of our young core being just 23, an optimistic view would have us as true title contenders (assuming we don't sign or trade for an all-star) in about 6 years when Randle and Russell are 25/26. Steph would be about 34 then. And while I'd expect him to still be very good, he'd likely show some signs of decline by that point and who knows if they keep the team together.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Bulls and OKC are the only team I can see beating GS in a playoff series (right now).

Every year people pick Chicago to go far. I don't get it.

Neither do I.

They were up 2-1 against Cleveland before Pau got hurt.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Plus, Steph is not the type of player where you get worn down physically. If Delli can bother him without getting worn down, I'm sure Kobe can lol.

Now if I had Kobe guarding Lebron for a full 7 games, then I can see the concern because of the physicality

Delly did get worn down. Didn't he need an IV or something after one of the games?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
22 wrote:

Delly did get worn down. Didn't he need an IV or something after one of the games?

And imagine carrying the offensive load that Kobe carried in 08-10, which was tremendous (even with Pau/Bynum/Odom). Kobe was a Beast then, but even Beasts need to conserve energy.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KBH wrote:
22 wrote:

And imagine carrying the offensive load that Kobe carried in 08-10, which was tremendous (even with Pau/Bynum/Odom). Kobe was a Beast then, but even Beasts need to conserve energy.

Yeah, those teams were great, but one of the reasons they were great was because Kobe could and would fill up the box score with 28+ points, 6 boards and 6 assists. Asking Kobe to guard Steph Curry 94 feet and carry the offense against a great defensive team doesn't seem to be the best course of action. Especially when you have a younger, quick and long 3&D guy ready to go.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:

Kobe can't do everything. I'd wager a lot that Kobe wouldn't be primarily guarding Ariza if you polled most of the top coaches. End of game, no problem. Just a lot to ask of Kobe.

Remember, Kobe didn't guard Allen Iverson either in the 76ers series (Fisher/Lue had that thankless task).

agree to disagree. And Kobe did guard AI plenty in that series.

That's how I'd set it up and I think it'd be more effective.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Wonder if they'll beat Chicago's 72-10 record?
I remember Phil Jackson once said it'll never be done again. There are too many little things that were in that team's favor.
1) Expansion teams in the league (Grizz and Raptors). Even though they lost multiple times to the raptors that season for some reason .
2) Located in middle of the country. Only 2 hours time difference for West coast games and 1 for East coast.
3) A pissed off MJ. Who was haunted by THIS

I did read Curry and Thompson didn't like how some considered their championship a fluke last year. So GS does have a chip on their shoulder.
They might crack 70.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:

agree to disagree. And Kobe did guard AI plenty in that series.

That's how I'd set it up and I think it'd be more effective.

Yeah. It would be a fun series. And we'd have a really nice defensive weapon to neutralize him in either Ariza or Kobe (though I'd go with Ariza).
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject:

The Warriors are a dynasty. They will win 3 to 4 championships with their young core. The only thing that can stop them is injuries.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject:

i've noticing this for quite some time now, curry is not a good 3 point shooter when he sets his feet and getting a shot off from a pass instead of his own dribbling. curry is absolutely lethal when he dances with the ball and you're at his mercy. if teams can take the ball out of his hand and force him to be a spot up shooter, i think his percentage goes down a bit, just my own observation
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject:

^Are you kidding? He is a great shooter either way and the numbers back that up.

http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/05/18/stephen-curry-and-guarding-the-unguardable/

He is good either way.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: