How does a team stop Golden State?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject:

You have to chase him off the 3pt line. Throw more doubles at him and force Barnes and Draymond to be the ones to make decisions and carry the load. Steph unloads the ball on doubles he doesn't force it or challenge them much.

Back in the Suns day you wanted to make Nash a scorer OR a passer, not both... it's almost the same with Steph except if you let Steph be the scorer it feeds even more life into that team. He's an exceptional passer but some of his decision making gets questionable when he tries to make passes that aren't there. He's in his own stratosphere when he's thinking shoot first right now.

Take that away as a priority limit his touches. Kill the head of the snake.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject:

11 Willie Cauley-Steins and 2 Justise Winslows.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject:

What if Durant goes to GSW?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
play 5 wings, switch everything, play ball denial on curry all game long and never help off him, make andrew bogut beat you.

Pretty close to my opinion as well. They're shooting 40.8% from 3-point range. I do my best to make them shoot 61.6% or better from 2, which is the tipping point. You have to totally rethink your help principles.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
play 5 wings, switch everything, play ball denial on curry all game long and never help off him, make andrew bogut beat you.

Pretty close to my opinion as well. They're shooting 40.8% from 3-point range. I do my best to make them shoot 61.6% or better from 2, which is the tipping point. You have to totally rethink your help principles.

Assuming Randle and nance can improve shooting those two are a good start.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

I don't know. That sounds like a prescription for losing by 15 instead of losing by 20. So you hold them to shooting 50%+ on a lot of twos, with free throws sprinkled on top. That's what used to be called "good offense."

I think you have to rough them up and wear them down. Slow it down and get in their faces. Ugly ball.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

I don't know. That sounds like a prescription for losing by 15 instead of losing by 20. So you hold them to shooting 50%+ on a lot of twos, with free throws sprinkled on top. That's what used to be called "good offense."

I think you have to rough them up and wear them down. Slow it down and get in their faces. Ugly ball.

I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive.

They're biggest weakness is that they're turnover prone. If they're predominantly shooting two's (which they're shooting 45.6% on for the season, although under this hypothetical it would probably be a bit higher due to the trade off) and turning the ball over at the rate that they do, they're in a beatable range from a PPP standpoint.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Actually, they're above average in TOV%. Under 44TheLogo's scenario, they'd spend the game driving to the basket with no shot blocker in the way. I see the statistical appeal, but I just don't think that strategy works out.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Assuming Randle and nance can improve shooting those two are a good start.

and put MWP on Bogut on D

on offense
PG - DLO
SG - Clarkson
SF- MWP
RF - Nance
C -Randle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject:

1) Fold hands
2) See minister
3) Kneel
4) Pray
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject:

How was Cleveland so effective during the Finals despite injury?

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

That Dova guy guarded Curry very well the first couple of games and Lebron went high.

Also Luke Walton is coaching now instead of Kerr at the moment. What a difference.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I don't think Cleveland was as competitive as people like to remember.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject:

I think you can beat them if you have a Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe type of a combo. Inside and out (but wing player can create shots inside as well).
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
Well a team would need D'angelo russell to smother Seth Curry, and keep him from scoring. Maybe he'll shoot 0-12 or something like that.

A team would also need a legit two way player like Nick Young to counter Klay Thompson. Nick Young is Klay Thompson with a better mindset, he knows how to have fun. We all know having fun on the court is why teams win. Just look at all those Lebron James teams.

A legitimate center that can run and play solid defense like Brandon Bass. His presence alone keeps players out of the paint.

I think Lakers will match up well with them in the finals.

Don't forget R. Kelly out-stretch-fouring Draymond Green.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Cleveland was loaded with injuries, but I remember distinctly thinking, they played their tempo almost the entire series. GSW had their moments of pace and racked up a lot of points in those moments.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject:

I actually think the Pelicans have the best chance if they get can pair an all star player with Anthony Davis. Durant or Westbrook with Davis would be a killer combo.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ocho wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Cleveland was loaded with injuries, but I remember distinctly thinking, they played their tempo almost the entire series. GSW had their moments of pace and racked up a lot of points in those moments.

Agree, Cleveland played them perfectly strategically in that series. Great coaching by Blatt and an excellent job by the Cleveland players in implementing the game plan on to the floor.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ocho wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Agree, Cleveland played them perfectly strategically in that series. Great coaching by Blatt and an excellent job by the Cleveland players in implementing the game plan on to the floor.

Cleveland was effective mainly because of Lebron. That series was going to be a blowout. The refs allowed lebron (as usual) to do all sorts of things and to an extent, mozgov also. Go back and watch. Just about every time lebron drives, he is pushing off with his arm...just blatant. You call that properly, it's a blowout, cleveland has no chance. but they only called it occasionally. also, thompson was whistled very tightly and was kept out of a couple of games due to officiating (he was going off in a couple of those games). This is the real answer to me.

I think ocho is right about cleveland not being as good as we think in that series. if you ignore all the ridiculous hype going on at the time...all that insane talk about lebron should get the mvp despite losing, and all that...golden state was never in any real danger. they are just a better team with better players at just about each position. even curry is way better than lebron as a basketball player. clevelands best player was mozgov, who played pretty great throughout the series and to me proved that he is actually a good player who would be a value on any team.

i think to hang with golden state right now, you need to have good players. if you don't have it forget it. second, with the good players, you have to have a good system. they have both...good players and a good system. you can also beat them if you are a big team like 2010 lakers. but that is unlikely in the current nba.

and just for the record, i think gsw is being overhyped now also, and they are not as good as they seem, nor is curry. the hype in the nba is going out of control. there's no more just wait and see...as soon as someone does anything good it gets hyped to be the "best ever!!!!!!".
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Cleveland had size, toughness, and LBJ. They had no true 2nd option or even 3rd option. The fact that they were up 2-1 and had a competitive series still surprises me - and it shows GST has weaknesses. GST is loaded talent wise, but they have holes.

Unfortunately for CLE though - once they get their 2nd and 3rd option back rolling together (assuming Irving/Love are back by playoffs together) they may no longer be as tough and physical as they were last playoffs. Blatt will have to be really smart how he balances the size/toughness with the core talent he has. If he can somehow get Mosgov and Thompson (And Love) to play as physical as they did last year, and LBJ/Irving play well, I think CLE takes them in a re-match. But I don't know if I trust Love to provide that for a team.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Agree. Klay and Curry didn't have a good series and the Cavs played well for 2 games. That's it. But that big guy had some success against them.
png
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Efficiency, and have only Curry Shoot the ball. The mentally weak, only shoot the 3-ball, to catch up. If you try to out-shoot the Splash Brothers, you might as well pack up and go to the next city. You try(ing) to bring a Checkers approach, to a Chess Game...... Game Over, or should I say Check Mate.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject:

I would mix it up. Trap Curry hard on some possessions, switch on others, full court press occasionally. On offense, make it as physical as possible, preferably by pounding the ball inside, which would limit their easy threes in transition. it' not rocket science, but it'd very difficult to execute efficiently over a 7 game series.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Agree. Klay and Curry didn't have a good series and the Cavs played well for 2 games. That's it. But that big guy had some success against them.

You make it sound like Klay and Curry just had bad games with no credit to the Cavs physical defense.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to see the '02 Kings vs '15 Warriors

Bibby vs Curry
Peja vs Klay
Christie vs Barnes
Webber vs Green
Divac vs Bogut

That'd be a fun matchup
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: