Byron to punish his Players with "Old-School Drills" after Loss on a back-to-back
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject:

mde24 wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Easier. Just stop playing bass at center.

HELLO!

What doesn't make sense is keeping Sacre as our Back up center, then he goes down to injury and we don't call up Upshaw. After Roy, the center position is crap. The Small ball line - ups don't produce or protect the rim. It's sad that we are looking to Rob to come back and play the position he played so poorly so we can get better.

You typically play a small ball lineup when you can overpower them on offense. Run the other team out or just bomb away. What in God's name Bass does at center to help this is beyond me.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

The old fashioned boxing out drills should be part of the day-off schedule for any team with as many young players as this.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
The defensive rebounding has been disappointing to say the least.
Maybe some boxout drills wouldn't hurt.

I have to say I agree with this take. Hibbert, Bass, Randle and Nance (and Black if he ever got game time) all need to improve this fundamental part of their respective games. However, I'm certainly not onboard with all of Byron's 'man up' mantra and I actually used to be to some degree. I do like a little old-school mentality, but at some point, Byron actually has to start COACHING this team!

His general rotations and apparent minute-based subs patterns are just awful
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Byron should 'man-up' and play this rotation:

Hibbert
Randle
Bryant
Clarkson
Russell

Black
Bass/Nance
MWP
Young
Williams

Alternatively, you make a hard call about Clarkson or Russell playing on the bench and considering the apparent 'Byron Scott Soft Rookie Minutes Restriction Protocol' or BSSRMRP approach with Russell he really may as well play with the second unit anyway?! But to me, I would actually shift Clarkson to the second unit where he could come on and shoot lights out and give the reins to Russell with the starters. That may however be difficult now though considering Clarkson is almost the team's leading scorer:

Hibbert
Randle
MWP
Bryant
Russell

Black
Bass/Nance
Young
Williams
Clarkson
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Really though I would trade Lou Will for a pass-first veteran backup PG and play Russell heavy minutes with a heavy P&R, read and react style offense....just sayin

Also after initially being excited by the thought of what Huertas could be - and now seeing him in real NBA games, I would trade him for a packet of skittles
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Are there any brain drills that Byron can take?
purple8goldvanessa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject:

the art of tanking
make it look like you're a bad coach.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:53 am    Post subject:

purple8goldvanessa wrote:
the art of tanking
make it look like you're a bad coach.

Oh, boy. Did anyone ever collect these?

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
legend825
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject:

I think they do need to re-learn the fundamentals of boxing out and going after rebounds.... Then again, this team needs many things...
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject:

Whoever decided to hire Byron Scott as coach really f'ed over the Lakers. I don't know if it was Mitch or Jim Buss but whoever did it should remove themselves from the FO decision making processes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject:

What is very annoying is that when Scott is fired, not if, but when (probably after this season), we start again from ground zero.

It's the rock of Sisyphus. We keep rolling these terrible rocks (Brown, MDA, Scott) up the mountain only to have them tumbling down after a year or two to start all over again. That's just wasted time. If we had a competent and non-retread coach, could have used this year to really implement a philosophy and system in a non-playoff year.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject:

mde24 wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Easier. Just stop playing bass at center.

HELLO!

What doesn't make sense is keeping Sacre as our Back up center, then he goes down to injury and we don't call up Upshaw. After Roy, the center position is crap. The Small ball line - ups don't produce or protect the rim. It's sad that we are looking to Rob to come back and play the position he played so poorly so we can get better.

Tarik has been effective at back up center, he is taller, faster a lot stronger than Bass. But Tarik needs to man up or something...
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
What is very annoying is that when Scott is fired, not if, but when (probably after this season), we start again from ground zero.

It's the rock of Sisyphus. We keep rolling these terrible rocks (Brown, MDA, Scott) up the mountain only to have them tumbling down after a year or two to start all over again. That's just wasted time. If we had a competent and non-retread coach, could have used this year to really implement a philosophy and system in a non-playoff year.

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

It's obvious to us. Why it isn't to the Lakers management?

3 bad decisions regarding head coaches are holding us back.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject:

"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:
Byron is going to gift wrap a top 3 pick to Jimbo.

Why so he can draft another bust? Not only did we waste a pick on a player not ready to play we didn't even get a good backup.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I think we pretty much were in acceptance that Scott was just a stopgap measure.

What's astounding is even as low of an expectation as we had (and I was vociferous in being against this buffoon), he's even worse than we thought.

How do you top being an X and O dunce? You double down by being an insecure, fugazi tough guy all the while throwing players under the bus with such regularity, even Mike D'antoni would blush.

My not-so-out on a limb prediction. IF Byron is still the coach and is in any way, shape or form associated with the recruitment process, we won't get marquee free agent this year.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it's that certain that he finishes the season... his relationship with DLO is already bad according to a lot of reports. If it gets toxic, then a choice will nee dot be made.

Also heard whispers that Randle is no fan of Byron either.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject:

The nepotism in LA is disgusting
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Dr Buss was innovative and a risk taker... we were on the cutting edge in terms of style of play, marketing, etc. With the Buss kids, we're forever trying to re-live the past and we've become dinosaurs.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
Dr Buss was innovative and a risk taker... we were on the cutting edge in terms of style of play, marketing, etc. With the Buss kids, we're forever trying to re-live the past and we've become dinosaurs.

Every interview with either one includes some variation of "well my Dad" or "it's what Dad would have". Cringe-worthy.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Every interview with either one includes some variation of "well my Dad" or "it's what Dad would have". Cringe-worthy.

They're not particularly bright or talented at anything... yet they are trying to play parts that require intelligence and talent. So you can add lack of pragmatism there too lol. If they were pragmatic, they would hire people with the talent/intelligence and take a step back.

The whole organization is nepotist. I never thought i would ever feel this way... but i think it's time for the Lakers to be sold. Heck, if we had the same ownership group as the Dodgers, I would love it.
FromMagicToKobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Dr Buss hired crappy coaches a few times too. It's just a Laker problem. We hit on riley and PJ....thats it.

and i don't see how you can say we drafted a bust. Its been 10 games
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
I don't think it's that certain that he finishes the season... his relationship with DLO is already bad according to a lot of reports. If it gets toxic, then a choice will nee dot be made.

Buss kids won't want to admit yet another bad coaching hire. Sadly, I think they'll keep him for a while.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Buss kids won't want to admit yet another bad coaching hire. Sadly, I think they'll keep him for a while.

I don't think Byron was their first, second or third choice. Not a lot of coaches were willing to take on the hot mess that the Lakers were last season. They knew that it could possibly be a career killer. Byron's career was already dead, so it was a good fit.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: