Rockets Fire Coach Kevin McHale
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Rockets Fire Coach Kevin McHale

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski ✔ @WojYahooNBA
The Houston Rockets fired coach Kevin McHale, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

I wonder who they will bring in, should be interesting.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject:

We'll trade them Byron for a draft pick.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject:

Thibs would be my guess - but this is really surprising because I think Dwight walks at season's end. Dwight and McHale had a really good understanding. If anyone had issues with McHale it was James Harden.

If Houston is smart, they try to talk to Dwight's agent by mid-season and see where he wants to go in FA and trade him there to get some assets back.

You kinda saw something coming with the players only meeting - but still. Surprising.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject:

Please fire Byron Mitch. Now that Morey did it...(and that's with a coach who at least took them to the WCF).
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Please fire Byron Mitch. Now that Morey did it...(and that's with a coach who at least took them to the WCF).

Please, please, please!!!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

The difference is expectation.

Houston is expecting their team to be a WC powerhouse and contender. They brought in Lawson and wanted to improve their O, instead it's gotten much much worse. The Lakers seem to be ok with another lottery season and 50+ losses.

I don't see what scapegoating McHale will accomplish, but they know their team better than I for sure, as I'm just a casual observer. Just a casual observer, I thought McHale did really well with Dwight and utilizing the talent they had. They're not supposed to be better than GST and they got to the WCF last year. The Lawson trade is a disaster, but that's on Morey moreso than McHale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Thibs would be my guess - but this is really surprising because I think Dwight walks at season's end. Dwight and McHale had a really good understanding. If anyone had issues with McHale it was James Harden.

If Houston is smart, they try to talk to Dwight's agent by mid-season and see where he wants to go in FA and trade him there to get some assets back.

You kinda saw something coming with the players only meeting - but still. Surprising.

No one is trading for Dwight. He can't even play B2B's anymore.

I'll temper my excitement until I see who the replacement is. But McHale clearly needed to go. His X's and O's sucked, and his only strength was getting guys to play for him. They clearly weren't this season.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
No one is trading for Dwight.

Disagree - think many teams will line up to trade for him come trade deadline. They won't give you guys something amazing, but a draft pick and role player I think you could get. The guy is averaging 16/12 and is still top 5 in FG% in the NBA. Especially in the East where there seems to be more size and physical play, I think you'd see some Eastern playoff caliber teams interested in a deal.

That said, I don't think Morey is doing this to break the roster up, I think he's going to try and hire someone who'll possibly get them back on track. I think Thibs is on his radar, but I could be wrong.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject:

No one is trading for Dwight who is on an expiring (player option). They saw what happened to the Lakers when he bolted.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
No one is trading for Dwight who is on an expiring (player option). They saw what happened to the Lakers when he bolted.

Exactly.

Health/Age and that. Nobody's touching that right now.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Exactly.

Isn't it kind of bizarre how Dwight, in the span of a few years, has gone from being arguably the second most desirable player in the league (behind LeBron) to some cancer nobody wants to touch?

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Maybe, but guys like that get traded at trade deadline for deals all the time in NBA's history. It doesn't mean you get something amazing, but you get 1-2 assets. A low 1st round pick, and a role player. It's possible to get a deal IMO just not a deal that Houston would likely want to do.

Anyway, I'm interested as to who they plan on replacing McHale with.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Well, no one is trading much of value for Dwight. We are better off keeping him and trying to win this season (since the roster is built for that). A low 1st and a role player isn't worth not pursuing a title (wolfpacker).

If he bounces I trust Morey to spend his capspace wisely.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Exactly.

Isn't it kind of bizarre how Dwight, in the span of a few years, has gone from being arguably the second most desirable player in the league (behind LeBron) to some cancer nobody wants to touch?

That's what happens when injuries start to take over. That's really the only difference between this Dwight and Orlando Dwight.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Exactly.

That's what happens when injuries start to take over. That's really the only difference between this Dwight and Orlando Dwight.

I don't follow the Rockets too closely-- just how bad are his injuries? Someone earlier in this thread said he can't play back to backs anymore.

70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject:

Well, I guess the Rockets are seeking team tank trophies now. Bernie Bickerstaff as interim coach ? How can that be better for this season any other way, than Kev ?
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Exactly.

I don't follow the Rockets too closely-- just how bad are his injuries? Someone earlier in this thread said he can't play back to backs anymore.

Bad enough to hold him out of B2B's. Knee and back problems. He says he played on a bum knee last postseason.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Well, I guess the Rockets are seeking team tank trophies now. Bernie Bickerstaff as interim coach ? How can that be better for this season any other way, than Kev ?

i'd assume they will hire someone else within a couple weeks
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:

Because the players tuned McHale out.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject:

Bickerstaff is interim......Hmm he was our interim also between Brown and MDA right?
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject:

That is shocking.

It simply shows how difficulty it is to not win a championship but to get your team to compete for a championship.

The Rockets made the WCF last year. Pundits simply thought that they would be back there again.

H/ever, the reality is that there is no guarantee in this profession.

I was impressed by Phil's ability to win 11 championships. But I was equally impressed that Phil was able to get his teams to compete and make to the championship or at least the WCF.

To have a chance to make it to that level regularly is an accomplishment in itself.

Unfortunately, Dumbo Jimbo failed to grasp that and we are experiencing the results of his ignorance.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject:

Dwight will bolt to Spurs, I guess. Else he should take that extra year max deal with Rockets. He isn't worth the value for most other teams.
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject:

who replaces McHale?

thibs- he has the name.. but given what we know about D12 and his health is thibs the right guy?

Jeff Van gundy?- Another stint in Houston?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Bickerstaff is interim......Hmm he was our interim also between Brown and MDA right?

JB Bickerstaff is Bernie Bickerstaff's son.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject:

rebirth wrote:

thibs- he has the name.. but given what we know about D12 and his health is thibs the right guy?

given what we know about D12 and his clownish demeanor is thibs the right guy?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: