CBS: Kobe Knows that he will likely not win another championship.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: CBS: Kobe Knows that he will likely not win another championship.

Good to hear that Kobe accepts the truth.

Sad that the FO could not provide Kobe the same support that Duncan is getting at the Spurs. However, it is not surprising.

Wish the FO would come out and accept the truth too.

Kobe Bryant tells Coach K his focus is on developing Lakers' youth

The Los Angeles Lakers star is quite aware that he is nearing the end of his career which is why Bryant told Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski on his SiriusXM radio show that he knows he won't win another championship before he retires. Instead of chasing after a sixth championship ring, Bryant is focusing on helping players like Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson and D'Angelo Russell develop.. ..

The Lakers' 37-year-old star player conceded the likelihood that his NBA career will not feature another image of him holding the Larry O'Brien trophy.

“Of course I would love to win another championship. But my responsibility now is to think outside of what I want,” Bryant said. “My responsibility is to these young players.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25381037/kobe-bryant-knows-he-wont-win-another-ring-wants-to-develop-youthful-lakers
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject:

I really respect Kobe for saying that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject:

damn, so sad to hear a legend like Kobe finally let it go like this.

I wanted him to have a chance to go out with a bang, and not with a Byron Scott-induced whimper.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:

MAMBA STILL RULES
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: CBS: Kobe Knows that he will likely not win another championship.

laker4life wrote:

Sad that the FO could not provide Kobe the same support that Duncan is getting at the Spurs. However, it is not surprising.

The Los Angeles Lakers star is quite aware that he is nearing the end of his career which is why Bryant told Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski on his SiriusXM radio show that he knows he won't win another championship before he retires. Instead of chasing after a sixth championship ring, Bryant is focusing on helping players like Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson and D'Angelo Russell develop.. ..

The Lakers' 37-year-old star player conceded the likelihood that his NBA career will not feature another image of him holding the Larry O'Brien trophy.

“Of course I would love to win another championship. But my responsibility now is to think outside of what I want,” Bryant said. “My responsibility is to these young players.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25381037/kobe-bryant-knows-he-wont-win-another-ring-wants-to-develop-youthful-lakers

The front office didn't care about improving the team to contention-level, apparently. They were too intent on keeping Kobe by any means necessary. It didn't help that Kobe choose to sign a salary cap-crunching mega contract that precluded any flexibility during this past free agency period. If anything, Kobe didn't help his stance by being greedy, whereas Duncan elected to sign for a much lesser deal, specifically to allow his team to be able to sign effective personnel during the free agency period.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Stand up attitude. It's great that he truly feels and acts like a Laker for Life.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CBS: Kobe Knows that he will likely not win another championship.

CaliRyderX wrote:
laker4life wrote:

The front office didn't care about improving the team to contention-level, apparently. They were too intent on keeping Kobe by any means necessary. It didn't help that Kobe choose to sign a salary cap-crunching mega contract that precluded any flexibility during this past free agency period. If anything, Kobe didn't help his stance by being greedy, whereas Duncan elected to sign for a much lesser deal, specifically to allow his team to be able to sign effective personnel during the free agency period.

As Captain P&M re: the Extension, let it go.

Just enjoy what time we have left with Kobe. I'm going to pay my respects to him in a few weeks in Philly. We will sorely miss him when he's gone.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CBS: Kobe Knows that he will likely not win another championship.

CaliRyderX wrote:
laker4life wrote:

Spurs haven't done (bleep) with cap space until this summer. Duncan taking a paycut, or Parker and Ginobili for that matter, would have made 0 impact on the team that won a title. Assuming their cheap owner would have ponied up, which in our case, Jim/Jeanie would.

FO failed him with bad coaching hires mostly but injuries didn't help. It just wasn't meant to be so whatever.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: CBS: Kobe Knows that he will likely not win another championship.

dmorans1 wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
laker4life wrote:

Spurs haven't done (bleep) with cap space until this summer. Duncan taking a paycut, or Parker and Ginobili for that matter, would have made 0 impact on the team that won a title. Assuming their cheap owner would have ponied up, which in our case, Jim/Jeanie would.

I would let that go too. Duncan choose his own path and that has been recently rewarded with a championship.

I just envy the fact that Duncan will likely go out when retires deep into the playoffs. I wish Kobe could have such an ending too (hopefully he plays on a gold medal US Olympic team).
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Everyday we see articles and quotes that make it more realistic that he's hanging it up. It's very surreal.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CBS: Kobe Knows that he will likely not win another championship.

CaliRyderX wrote:
laker4life wrote:

totally false. They went after star players (Melo, Bron, Bosh, Dirk, LMA) all in hopes of winning right away. They tried trading for Cousins and Rondo.

What screwed us was Kobe's contract and inability to add more than one player per summer. Was the FO's fault? Maybe. It is what it is but to say the didn't try to give Kobe help is totally bogus. They basically mortgaged the future by trading for Dwight and Nash. It's been all about Kobe since 1996.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Kobe very fortunate to become a Laker during the Dr. Buss era. He'd probably refuse to play for this current organization.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject:

I could of told you that Kob as soon as you signed that idiotic 2y48M contract
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Pretty much stating the obvious but I like how he often talks about the young guys. He's been very protective and encouraging towards them. Way to go Kob'.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
damn, so sad to hear a legend like Kobe finally let it go like this.

Kobe deserves MAJOR, MAJOR props for the way that he has so candidly discussed his limitations, his physical decline, pains and aches. I can't remember another super, superstar ever doing that while still playing.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject:

we could've signed a max player even with Kobe's contract this year.. and we DID try, they just prefer other teams currently. As the young guys mature, Lakers will be a more attractive destination. This has got nothing to do with Kobe's contract.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: CBS: Kobe Knows that he will likely not win another championship.

CaliRyderX wrote:
laker4life wrote:

They did care but they were not able to close b/c of their presentation and bad hiring of coaches.

The FO 's poor moves are so apparent.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
Everyday we see articles and quotes that make it more realistic that he's hanging it up. It's very surreal.

I'm sure he would stick around if his body would cooperate. Unfortunately, reality is that it won't, which is why he has difficulty played 30+ minutes and is ending up being a part time player.It doesn't help that Byron didn't realize this until it was too late. Nevertheless, its best that he retires this year instead of dragging any more out of his career and let people forget all the great memories he did in his prime. Nobody wants to see a shell of a player out there.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CBS: Kobe Knows that he will likely not win another championship.

2019 wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
laker4life wrote:

totally false. They went after star players (Melo, Bron, Bosh, Dirk, LMA) all in hopes of winning right away. They tried trading for Cousins and Rondo.

What screwed us was Kobe's contract and inability to add more than one player per summer. Was the FO's fault? Maybe. It is what it is but to say the didn't try to give Kobe help is totally bogus. They basically mortgaged the future by trading for Dwight and Nash. It's been all about Kobe since 1996.

It's not totally false. The front office has been a lingering disappointment...this is not my own theory or idea. Have you been watching/reading/hearing the news? The current Lakers front office sucks...they've made horrible decisions left and right. And any "attempt" to go after any star player(s) during free agency were bound to fail before ever starting. No star wants to play with a spoiled/ball-hogging/aging star, a cadre of nitwit role players, and an even bigger nitwit head coach. Those were all front office moves....signing Kobe to a huge contract as opposed to asking him to take less was another HUGE mistake by the front office. They basically hampered their own organization from adding any quality assets which could help Kobe...so no, it's not completely wrong for me or anybody else to outright declare on a mountain top that the front office did not act intelligently to improve their own team.

The coaching hires have been disastrous ever since Phil left. I mean, one after another idiot...and the decisions to sign certain free agents has been beyond absurd. I really, really hope Jim Buss' tenure as the Lakers Executive ends...he can still be an owner, but as far as making personnel choices, STOP ALREADY, enough is enough. Jim Buss is ruining this franchise with his insane and inept executive decisions....and the past two years and current year are the proof of that.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CBS: Kobe Knows that he will likely not win another championship.

dmorans1 wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
laker4life wrote:

FO failed him with bad coaching hires mostly but injuries didn't help. It just wasn't meant to be so whatever.

Well (bleep), they haven't had to make any huge signings. What the (bleeping) (bleep) have you been watching? Before (bleeping) last season they had been at least to the Western Conference finals 3 (bleeping) years in a row! That's what you call good (bleeping) management, something the Lakers have been bereft of for nearly a decade.

Our front office has failed in more than just bad coaching hires. They've failed with bad free agent signings, bad trades, and semi to bad drafts(not including the ones where they got Clarkson, Randle, and D Lo).
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: CBS: Kobe Knows that he will likely not win another championship.

CaliRyderX wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
laker4life wrote:

Well (bleep), they haven't had to make any huge signings. What the (bleeping) (bleep) have you been watching? Before (bleeping) last season they had been at least to the Western Conference finals 3 (bleeping) years in a row! That's what you call good (bleeping) management, something the Lakers have been bereft of for nearly a decade.

Our front office has failed in more than just bad coaching hires. They've failed with bad free agent signings, bad trades, and semi to bad drafts(not including the ones where they got Clarkson, Randle, and D Lo).

Are you arguing by yourself?

My point was that Duncan taking a paycut has nothing to do with the Spurs being succesful. Translating that to Kobe and our management willingness to spend, Kobe's contract has nothing to do with our shotcomings. FO failed even before that extension fyi.
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CBS: Kobe Knows that he will likely not win another championship.

I had a dream last night that Kobe was released from the Lakers and signed with the SA Spurs.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject:

lol @ people still pissing & moaning bout kobe's contract..yet how many times has it been broken down to them.. who was there to sign with allll that cap space kobe was hogging. Lebron? Melo? Dirk? haha aka players we'd have no chance at signing even if we had the cap space

whatever..sorry didnt want to go off topic
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject:

If Kobe really wanted to help the youngsters develop he'd bench himself and help from the sideline. He would stand up to his buddy Byron and tell him to stop with the stupid rotations and lineups and give the kids the system they need to be effective.....

He's so far done none of the above so I call
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
I really respect Kobe for saying that.

Saying and doing are 2 completely different things. Throughout the years Kobe's been very PC about basically everything basketball, but yet his action on the court is very different
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: