Mitch and Byron have different takes on Lou Williams' role at PG
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
D'Angelo Russell is the starting PG. Jordan Clarkson should be his backup. Jordan Clarkson is our starting SG. Lou Williams should be his backup. WHY IS THIS SO HARD

DING, DING, DING, we have a winner!!!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Mitch...fire Byron..Please...I'm begging you....

I could give less (bleep) about tanking even if you just fire Byron. Please...please...

PLEASE! COME ON MITCH JUST DO IT!

Why you fire him?

The Rockets had a reason to fire him.

This is Scott second season. You cannot fire him b/c Scott is not getting a fair chance.

This is only his second year of a rebuilding period. Plus there is a storm rising when Jimbo Buss may have to resign since there is no way this team is competing for a championship in a few years.

Players and agents want continuity. Players and agents are aware that the Laker franchise is clearly dysfunctional compared to years pass with Jerry Buss.

Scott is doing what he was hired to do. Try to compete for a playoff spot and give the young players a chance to grow.

He did fine with Clarkson. Let's see what happens with Russell.

This team is bad b/c of the players and the FO inability to sign the right players.

How about because he (bleep) sucks? This notion of "fairness"...what in the word.

It's really telling that any and all defense of Byron also reverts to the same generalities and platitudes this nimrod of a coach uses himself.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Lou doesn't have the ability to push the ball down the middle of the floor and dictate tempo. He just slowly brings it up looking to set himself up. That's not what a PG should be doing.

isn't that the Princeton? Apparently, that's how Byron wants his players to MAN UP, you go one on five.

What Byron learned in Sacramento.

Notice how many shots Bibby takes from the perimeter. Notice how little time it takes to set up a shot.

Those are Russell's shots, except, he's prioritizing playmaking for his teammates first.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Mitch did say during his preseason press conference, when asked about a potential redundancy with Swaggy, that he thought Lou could handle the ball and play-make.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Mitch did say during his preseason press conference, when asked about a potential redundancy with Swaggy, that he thought Lou could handle the ball and play-make.

Yeah - Lou was signed by Mitch - and it's Byron's job to get him to fit in. If Lou just sat there and rotted, how would the FO take that? Not saying Byron has done even a remotely good job, but the number of issues at hand are that 1) FO wants Byron to start the young guys which he is 2) FO signed some veteran players who need to get PT as well.

I never got the Lou Williams signing from a roster perspective - but I do get it and the Nick Young signings from a trade perspective. If/when LA makes a major trade, they have a number of players who can replace the other. Lets say LA sends Clarkson out with Hibbert, for a stud big man in the middle (just hypothetical). Right away Lou Williams comes into play and is more valuable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Golden_Emperor_24K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject:

no scott, lou is not a pg he doesn't have good court vision and playmaking abilities. and you don't play him starter mins. no 11, 12 mins straight while icing our rookie.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject:

AJLakerFan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
D'Angelo Russell is the starting PG. Jordan Clarkson should be his backup. Jordan Clarkson is our starting SG. Lou Williams should be his backup. WHY IS THIS SO HARD

DING, DING, DING, we have a winner!!!

Actually we're still playing it wrong.

Russell should be our starting PG, Clarkson should be our backup - or vice-versa. Our starting SG, should actually be a natural SG, which to me makes it easy to pick Nick Young as the starting SG.

You can always do what many teams do - close with 2 point guard lineups, or even 3 guard lineups with Russ, Clarkson. Lou. However you should start players at the right spots and bring them in the right spots. Even Pop starts Danny Green over Ginobli.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject:

FIRE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

What happened to team

TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject:

WeDidItReddit wrote:
Byron scott displaying that room temperature IQ

LOL
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

HC: Riley
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Wow. There have been games where Russell is one of the 5 best players on the floor... and still no PT.

HC: Riley
png
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject:

WeDidItReddit wrote:
Byron scott displaying that room temperature IQ

How Cold is that room?
png
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mitch and Byron have different takes on Lou Williams' role at PG

Jordan-esque wrote:
@EricPincus: Byron Scott said he'll typically go with the 5 players who are doing the best that game over final 7 minutes

@EricPincus: Scott said Lou Williams is frustrated that he isn't hitting shots, putting in a lot of extra work - said he's happy with Lou's leadership

@EricPincus: Scott said Lou Williams is still learning the system to play pg and is elite getting to the line.

@EricPincus: Lou Williams said it's been 5 or 6 years since played point guard

@MarkG_Medina: Mitch pre-season quote on if Lou could play PG: "He can bring the ball up the floor. But I’m not sure that’s the best way to use him."

Mitch..... come on down. It can't get much worse. Byron has set a new low.
jjin28
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Don't fix what ain't broke. Lou Williams won the 6th man last year. Make him your sixth man and let our #2 pick ride and die with the challenges that come with a rookie season. Unbelievable to see Russell being benched with what is an obvious "let the young guns develop" type of year. The only excuse the Lakers or Bryon Scott that I can accept of letting Russell not dominate the ball is if they are showcasing Lou and Swaggy for an eventual trade. If we don't trade Swaggy or Lou, then there is absolutely no reason to let our #2 pick not dominate the ball and get some PT. Even if he turns out to be a bust!
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject:

jjin28 wrote:
Don't fix what ain't broke. Lou Williams won the 6th man last year. Make him your sixth man and let our #2 pick ride and die with the challenges that come with a rookie season. Unbelievable to see Russell being benched with what is an obvious "let the young guns develop" type of year. The only excuse the Lakers or Bryon Scott that I can accept of letting Russell not dominate the ball is if they are showcasing Lou and Swaggy for an eventual trade. If we don't trade Swaggy or Lou, then there is absolutely no reason to let our #2 pick not dominate the ball and get some PT. Even if he turns out to be a bust!

Well Byron is doing a great job showcasing Sweet Lou, what with him shooting like 25% from the field while getting major burn.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
When we got Lou I envisioned him playing a Jamaal Crawford type of role.

^^me too. I don't believe he is being asked to play PG
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

One minor thing I'll say in Byron's defense is that it would change the equation significantly if Huertas could remotely do anything. Still Lou should not be closing out the 4th quarter.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
One minor thing I'll say in Byron's defense is that it would change the equation significantly if Huertas could remotely do anything. Still Lou should not be closing out the 4th quarter.

Lou should stick with playing his natural SG role.

Mitch signed him to be our sixth man SG, not as the backup PG.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Lou doesn't have the ability to push the ball down the middle of the floor and dictate tempo. He just slowly brings it up looking to set himself up. That's not what a PG should be doing.

isn't that the Princeton? Apparently, that's how Byron wants his players to MAN UP, you go one on five.

What Byron learned in Sacramento.

Notice how many shots Bibby takes from the perimeter. Notice how little time it takes to set up a shot.

Those are Russell's shots, except, he's prioritizing playmaking for his teammates first.

A few things:
1. Those are some of the most inefficient shots in basketball.
2. The problem may not be the system but Byron's stubbornness in rotations and lack of flexibility.
3. Even if the system is the right one, he clearly has done a poor job thus far executing it.
4. We scrapped a lot of Princeton sets vs. the raptors and it was Russell's best game and Randle clearly looked good running triangle sequences.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Megaton wrote:

I could give less (bleep) about tanking even if you just fire Byron. Please...please...

Why you fire him?

This is Scott second season. You cannot fire him b/c Scott is not getting a fair chance.

This is only his second year of a rebuilding period. Plus there is a storm rising when Jimbo Buss may have to resign since there is no way this team is competing for a championship in a few years.

Players and agents want continuity. Players and agents are aware that the Laker franchise is clearly dysfunctional compared to years pass with Jerry Buss.

Scott is doing what he was hired to do. Try to compete for a playoff spot and give the young players a chance to grow.

This team is bad b/c of the players and the FO inability to sign the right players.

I don't think he will be fired, but the reason he should be is because he lacks the ability to adjust. When I coach and things are going good the opposing coach adjusts what he is doing, and if I don't recognize that I will fail. I have to see that and then make my own adjustments. Byron sees things that fail and goes with them the next game, and the next and the next. That is a bad coach, no matter what the talent level is.

The knock on Byron before was his laziness, how he would rather be on the golf course than in the clubhouse and letting his assistants do the adjustments. From what I have seen this season, what is happening on the court supports the idea that Byron is a lazy coach.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
laker4life wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Why you fire him?

I don't think he will be fired, but the reason he should be is because he lacks the ability to adjust. When I coach and things are going good the opposing coach adjusts what he is doing, and if I don't recognize that I will fail. I have to see that and then make my own adjustments. Byron sees things that fail and goes with them the next game, and the next and the next. That is a bad coach, no matter what the talent level is.

The knock on Byron before was his laziness, how he would rather be on the golf course than in the clubhouse and letting his assistants do the adjustments. From what I have seen this season, what is happening on the court supports the idea that Byron is a lazy coach.

This inability to adjust shows up in in-game management as well.

Quote:
Quote:
Jacob Rosen @WFNYJacob
In Byron Scott era, #Cavs finish 34-38 (.472) when leading at halftime. Average NBA win pct in this split: .725. #nba

Last season, the split for Byron's Lakers was 12-16, 1 of only 2 teams to have a losing record after leading at halftime (other being the Sixers). We also had the second worst record after leading at the end of the third quarter.

This season, we're 2-3 after leading at the half.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: