Byron on D'Angelo: "He's gotta earn my Trust, be our Facilitator, stick within the System"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clark Kent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Byron on D'Angelo: "He's gotta earn my Trust, be our Facilitator, stick within the System"

Byron Scott on D'Angelo Russell 11/19/2015: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-eVUIflvt1o

Quote:
On Playing in his System:

“Right now he's still trying to find his way. He’s trying to find his niche and trying to find out what he can do within the offense to be successful. And as I’ve I told him, I’m not looking for you to average 20 points a game, I’m looking for you to be our facilitator and get everybody where they need to be, but also to be aggressive when you have the opportunity to be aggressive. I think he’s trying to figure out that happy medium.”

On Trusting Russell:

"You gotta earn it. Players have got to make me want to trust them. D'Angelo’s one of those guys that I’m getting to that point where I’m trusting him, but I still want him to continue to learn and not try to do things on the fly, I just want him to stick within the system as much as possible.”

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject:

Yup. Confirms that DLO is doing EXACTLY what his coach is telling him to do.

in other words, his conductor is telling him to play a certain flawed piece of music and he's obliging.

Whether as a 19 year old, he should be the one spearheading the revolt against the flawed plan is another question, as one would hope vets like Kobe, Hibbert, MWP would do that.

PARKING BRAKE BYRON SCOTT.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject:

At least he didn't say he had to man up.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject:

I agree he's gotta earn, gain trust, all this stuff. The problem is the (bleep)ing system!
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject:

On the extended interview, Byron also did say he trusts Lou Williams and likes his leadership.

Last edited by Jordan-esque on Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject:

What's interesting about this is that the common critique of Byron has been that he needs to let Russell play more freely and less within the system.

This quote implies that Russell already IS doing too much "on the fly" and not sticking with running the offense.

The idea that the Russell that we've seen so far is how he plays "on the fly" is kind of frightening.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
What's interesting about this is that the common critique of Byron has been that he needs to let Russell play more freely and less within the system.

This quote implies that Russell already IS doing too much "on the fly" and not sticking with running the offense.

The idea that the Russell that we've seen so far is how he plays "on the fly" is kind of frightening.

Are you kidding me? He's not playing on the fly. He's been told by Scott to stick to his "system."

You watch DLO from college and now, it's abundantly clear he's trying to run Scott's "system."
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject:

Cryron
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:

You got it backwards.

Scott wants Russell to "be our facilitator and get everybody where they need to be" and not "looking for you to average 20 points a game."

That's exactly what Russell is doing all season.

The only time I've seen Russell go on the fly is that 4th quarter outburst vs the Suns in the last 3-4 mins of a blowout when Russell decided, screw it, I'm playing my game rom here on out and scored like 4 straight buckets.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject:

Russell is a scoring guard who also makes plays for others with his elite level vision. This is a complete misuse of his skillset and I can only hope it doesn't stunt his development. The front office really should step in on this one. This is exactly what I said before, the team is using him as a pg who just looks like his job is to get other guys the ball in their spots. I'm really starting to think they are clueless about his game, he isn't of the Jason kidd mold.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

in other words, his conductor is telling him to play a certain flawed piece of music and he's obliging.

Whether as a 19 year old, he should be the one spearheading the revolt against the flawed plan is another question, as one would hope vets like Kobe, Hibbert, MWP would do that.

Read it again. Look at the words, not what you want it to read.

Last edited by Legacy on Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Iron Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject:

D'Angelo averaged 19 points / 5 ast / 6 reb in college.

That alone tells you, he's a scorer first, a facilitator second.

Just because he makes beautiful passes you can't even imagine doesn't mean he needs to start being programed into a full time facilitator all of a sudden.

Lakers should just let Russell play his game. Let him operate to score, then facilitate when need be.

Last edited by Iron Mamba on Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject:

Nash/Harden/Ginobli but let's just walk the ball up and hand it off. Don't do too much D'Angelo but the less you do the more of my trust you'll earn.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Ah, so you think Scott is right and that DLO is doing too much to veer from his vaunted winning system? Gotcha.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject:

Yup, further confirmation of what we're seeing. The question for me is how long will it take to earn Scott's trust? The thing is, I'm pretty sure that Scott is losing his players' trust.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject:

Iron Mamba wrote:
D'Angelo averaged 19 points / 5 ast / 6 reb in college.

That alone tells you, he's a scorer first, a facilitator second.

Just because he makes beautiful passes you can't even imagine doesn't mean he needs to start being programed into a full time facilitator all of a sudden.

Lakers should just let Russell play his game. Let him operate to score, then facilitate when need be.

That doesn't mean he's a scorer first, that's just how college stats often shake out with players who have the ball in their hands the most, and are the most talented. Around 5 apg is often a college stat of players who end up being high-assist players in the NBA.

Last edited by Fan0Bynum17 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject:

I don't think Byron has any idea what he wants. He tells DLo to stick with the system, but only time he got consistent playing time was when he tried to go iso against Magic in the first quarter. He doesn't care that Lou can't be primary ball handler due to his tunnel vision and turnovers as all he sees is him going iso and drawing a few fouls when he isn't gifting the opposition.
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject:

More generic mean-nothing statements.

I wish one of the "journalists" would have the gonads to ask him: "what is the system?" and then proceed to dismantle his confused ramblings.

What would it take for Byron to get fired?
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Legacy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Ah, so you think Scott is right and that DLO is doing too much to veer from his vaunted winning system? Gotcha.

For the record, I don't like BS as our coach. How effective his system is is irrelevant in this particular discussion. DLO isn't running it consistently so he hasn't fully earned the mans trust. That's what it reads. You planted another message in there and ran with it. Just like you did with my post.

Got that much?
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject:

I still have the feeling that Scott finishes out the year with Kobe, and we move in a new direction coaching-wise in time for free agency.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Legacy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

For the record, I don't like BS as our coach. How effective his system is is irrelevant in this particular discussion. DLO isn't running it consistently so he hasn't fully earned the mans trust. That's what it reads. You planted another message in there and ran with it. Just like you did with my post as well.

Got it now?

Gotcha. But the subtext is important. No need to be objective in this b/c we all know Scott's coaching acumen is highly suspect.

So when he says DLO isn't following his flawed system, then what exactly is he not doing? It's fairly obvious from video breakdowns that Scott wants him to bring the ball up and make the initial pass and then disappear. He's doing that. So what exactly does Scott want him to do? When DLO veered off Scott's "system," he scored 16 points in 20 minutes against the Nets and was benched.

See the confusion this breeds?

So I'm done giving Scott the benefit of the doubt here.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Russell is a scoring guard who also makes plays for others with his elite level vision. This is a complete misuse of his skillset and I can only hope it doesn't stunt his development. The front office really should step in on this one. This is exactly what I said before, the team is using him as a pg who just looks like his job is to get other guys the ball in their spots. I'm really starting to think they are clueless about his game, he isn't of the Jason kidd mold.

Preach it, brother.

My guess is this. Byron didn't watch Russell during his days at OSU (not an indictment on him, he's busy and that's not his job), caught his workouts, and then defined him into a preconceived role based off of his notions of how basketball works, which were formed in 1985 and haven't changed much. "We want you to be a facilitator...we're not looking for you to score 20ppg." Shows a tremendous misunderstanding of who Russell is.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

ZenMaster4President wrote:
More generic mean-nothing statements.

I wish one of the "journalists" would have the gonads to ask him: "what is the system?" and then proceed to dismantle his confused ramblings.

What would it take for Byron to get fired?

Jim Buss would have to man up.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Legacy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think he thinks Russell should play like Lou Williams more, aka bring the ball up court and hoist a three, or bring the ball up court and go to an isolation play.

All this is the exact opposite of what Byron wants in his PG to facilitate an offense, but Lou still gets all the minutes.

So doing that may earn the Coach's trust in whatever system he wants.

Last edited by Nash Vegas on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

Preach it, brother.

My guess is this. Byron didn't watch Russell during his days at OSU (not an indictment on him, he's busy and that's not his job), caught his workouts, and then defined him into a preconceived role based off of his notions of how basketball works, which were formed in 1985 and haven't changed much. "We want you to be a facilitator...we're not looking for you to score 20ppg." Shows a tremendous misunderstanding of who Russell is.

Also shows a gross misunderstanding of where the NBA is. Players now a days are more athletic, more skilled, more creative, more versatile. They have been coached up their entire lives. All the successful teams are the ones who's coaches more or less get out of the way and let them find there own game within a team concept.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: