Byron on D'Angelo: "He's gotta earn my Trust, be our Facilitator, stick within the System"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject:

Er...didn't Russell say at the start of the year (when he was confused about his role) that he thought he was supposed to be a playmaker, but then Byron said focus on being a defensive energy guy. Now it's back to being a playmaker again?
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
Er...didn't Russell say at the start of the year (when he was confused about his role) that he thought he was supposed to be a playmaker, but then Byron said focus on being a defensive energy guy. Now it's back to being a playmaker again?

Byron just pulls generalities out of a hat each morning and goes with whatever they say.
DrumR
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject:

One of my friends (and I. I hope you all will join us) have started including @JeanieBuss whenever we watch the game and see stupidity in our tweets. The other night #FireByron was trending. I think we should use the power of social media to express how horrible he is. It hurts me watching teams like Boston doing more with less.

Last edited by DrumR on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Scott had a bad reputation in NJ for not putting in the hard work (and Lawrence Frank/Eddie Jordan doing that).

I wonder how much time he actually spends poring over video, breaking down numbers, etc.

Frankly, I don't think he puts in the work on that end and relies on his gut instincts. In today's NBA, you too many basketball nerds supporting coaches who also put in the work. You will get exposed.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Russell is being groomed to be a PG. It's pretty clear Byron isn't concerned about how many points he scores or how many assist he's racking up. What he's looking for is his offense to be run and everyone being involved. He wants to see Russell controlling tempo, taking care of the basketball, organizing the offense, playing solid defense, and making hustle plays. Russell already had the talent to be a playmaker and a scorer. That's going to Come as he matures physically and to be honest it would be a waste of time to allow him to go out there and do what he wants.

Players like mudiay have a very low cieling. He will be exciting and his numbers will look nice but you will never be able to build a winner around him.

IMO The lakers are developing Russell the right way. He hasn't been playing PG very long but he's a natural at it so we gotta let him develop his PG skills. We already know he's excellent playing PnR so what's the point in working on that more, we know you're a streaky hot scorer, we know your excellent in fast break, and we know you're a playmaker. I think it would be foolish to believe that the lakers are accidentally playing Russell to his weaknesses. They are forcing him to work on his weaknesses and he's doing great.

Russell is going to be great!! As soon as BS trust the kid he's going to unleash him and he's going to shock a lot of laker fans.

I like what you're saying as far as developing DLo but... I guess the humorous part to most of is, yeah, they're forcing him to work on the parts of his game he is weakest at - and that's good, but it's not by design, it's all by accident!!!

Byron just rolls out the same system every season. I've felt somewhat the same way. It's probably good to kind of, beat the guy down a little his first season, instead of him having easy success to start off with and maybe not working as hard to develop himself but, again, there doesn't appear to be any real "plan" as far as developing DLo as much as having him learn the "Byron" system which as many have called it, the "Parking Brake" system... thus forcing DLo to work harder and adapt to possibly the worst system possible for his skillset.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject:

This had really gotten out of control. This is just dysfunctional. I don't think I'm exaggerating here when I say Byron needs to go ASAP.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Scott had a bad reputation in NJ for not putting in the hard work (and Lawrence Frank/Eddie Jordan doing that).

I wonder how much time he actually spends poring over video, breaking down numbers, etc.

Frankly, I don't think he puts in the work on that end and relies on his gut instincts. In today's NBA, you too many basketball nerds supporting coaches who also put in the work. You will get exposed.

Yep. There were a ton of articles that came out that it was the reason Kidd wanted him out. He was out playing golf while the other assistants were doing the extra work. It's also why he has a buffoons now as his assistants. Byron is afraid of anyone that shows competence lest he get ousted again and they get promoted a la Frank.

You couldn't come up with a worse combination of attributes in a coach and this guy checks them all off.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject:

D'angelo walked into byron's office and he showed him this

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yep. There were a ton of articles that came out that it was the reason Kidd wanted him out. He was out playing golf while the other assistants were doing the extra work. It's also why he has a buffoons now as his assistants. Byron is afraid of anyone that shows competence lest he get ousted again and they get promoted a la Frank.

You couldn't come up with a worse combination of attributes in a coach and this guy checks them all off.

There are too many smart teams out there where simply grit/manning up will not win you NBA games.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Could someone please ask him who he thinks on the team is playing well "within the system"? The only possible answer could be Nance.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Could someone please ask him who he thinks on the team is playing well "within the system"? The only possible answer could be Nance.

Lou, Kobe. Bass, maybe MWP?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Then his system must really suck if he thinks those guys are playing smart.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Then his system must really suck if he thinks those guys are playing smart.

Exactly, though MWP has been playing well this year.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Russell is being groomed to be a PG. It's pretty clear Byron isn't concerned about how many points he scores or how many assist he's racking up. What he's looking for is his offense to be run and everyone being involved. He wants to see Russell controlling tempo, taking care of the basketball, organizing the offense, playing solid defense, and making hustle plays. Russell already had the talent to be a playmaker and a scorer. That's going to Come as he matures physically and to be honest it would be a waste of time to allow him to go out there and do what he wants.

Players like mudiay have a very low cieling. He will be exciting and his numbers will look nice but you will never be able to build a winner around him.

IMO The lakers are developing Russell the right way. He hasn't been playing PG very long but he's a natural at it so we gotta let him develop his PG skills. We already know he's excellent playing PnR so what's the point in working on that more, we know you're a streaky hot scorer, we know your excellent in fast break, and we know you're a playmaker. I think it would be foolish to believe that the lakers are accidentally playing Russell to his weaknesses. They are forcing him to work on his weaknesses and he's doing great.

Russell is going to be great!! As soon as BS trust the kid he's going to unleash him and he's going to shock a lot of laker fans.

I like what you're saying as far as developing DLo but... I guess the humorous part to most of is, yeah, they're forcing him to work on the parts of his game he is weakest at - and that's good, but it's not by design, it's all by accident!!!

Byron just rolls out the same system every season. I've felt somewhat the same way. It's probably good to kind of, beat the guy down a little his first season, instead of him having easy success to start off with and maybe not working as hard to develop himself but, again, there doesn't appear to be any real "plan" as far as developing DLo as much as having him learn the "Byron" system which as many have called it, the "Parking Brake" system... thus forcing DLo to work harder and adapt to possibly the worst system possible for his skillset.

I think that's the key...the system doesn't really matter. The point is that he runs it, keeps everyone involved and finds ways to contribute to the team within the system. That may not mean scoring the basketball or racking up assist.

Dlo is doing a great job, honestly. He's controlling the pace of the game when he's in, for the most part he's taking care of the basketball, he's taking good shots, keeping everyone involved, and playing solid defense (on most nights). everytime he steps on the court he's taking good shots inside the system and that's what Scott is talking about. That's why Russ is beginning to earn his trust.

I think the fact that Scott is being so hard on Russell is a good thing, personally...It means that he cares. I know I'm in the minority right now but I think Scott is the perfect coach for this team right now. It's not about X's and O's because we know he sucks but he's actually doing a great job protecting Russell and developing him.

Dlo isn't going to create many bad habits developing under Byron because he's going to get pulled in a nanosecond when he does. His ego will also be held in check because Hollywood could destroy him before he even gets started. Byron is forcing him to play basketball the right way and I think we should be grateful. Think about it, Byron nicknamed Kobe "showboat" 😂

I don't think he likes that sort of basketball and it showed with how he treated nick young last season. However, I think he likes nick young too because look at how nick is playing basketball now!! He looks great on both ends...

I say give Bs another season to develop these rookies. Let him finish out his contract and then bring in a coach that can make us a winner. Right now, I'd like to see Russell continue to develop at this pace. Btw don't be surprised if Russell starts playing more minutes soon...Scott said last week that he thought Russell was a week away from putting it together.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject:

^ NO way I let BScott touch this team next year. No FA will want to come play for this coach and it's another wasted developmental year when we can have a long-term coach put in a new system.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Nick young, Russell, nance, metta, and Clarkson. These guys seem to get "IT".

Jim buss said he's looking for about 8 rotation/foundation players this season. That means players that can find a way to standout within a system. Lakers are changing the culture in Los Angeles. It looks like we're going to be playing Spurs type basketball from here on. Fundamentally sound, well rounded, team oriented, high IQ players, that give effort on both sides of the basketball.

Basically no "Showboat"

Last edited by PICKnPOP on Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
^ NO way I let BScott touch this team next year. No FA will want to come play for this coach and it's another wasted developmental year when we can have a long-term coach put in a new system.

It's only wasted if the young players don't learn anything

I also think it depends on who we gran this summer. If we can lure a big name free-agent I think we will go in a different direction coaching. If we mias out I don't think they will be in a hurry to get rid of Scott.

Last edited by PICKnPOP on Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Jim buss said he's looking for about 8 rotation/foundation players this season. That means players that can find a way to standout within a system. Lakers are changing the culture in Los Angeles. It looks like we're going to be playing Spurs type basketball from here on. Fundamentally sound, well rounded, team oriented, high IQ players, that give effort on both sides of the basketball.

Basically no "Showboat"

Except everything on the court shows we are doing the exact opposite from the Spurs. I mean it's literally not even in the same galaxy of similarity. Guys are iso'ing 24/7 so I'm guessing you're being sarcastic?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

That's a waste of time b/c his ways aren't going to lead to winning basketball in 2015.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Basically no "Showboat"

Except everything on the court shows we are doing the exact opposite from the Spurs. I mean it's literally not even in the same galaxy of similarity. Guys are iso'ing 24/7 so I'm guessing you're being sarcastic?

We are looking for core players right now. the players I named are doing a good job scoring inside the offense over the last few games (very little ISO basketball).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Basically no "Showboat"

We are looking for core players right now. the players I named are doing a good job scoring inside the offense over the last few games (very little ISO basketball).

Is that why Russell gets limited playing time in lieu of Lou? Or why in the interest of development, when Kobe is out, we see Huertaswho shouldn't even be in the NBA get put on the court to get roasted while Russell proceeds to get even less minutes? Gotcha.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

That's a waste of time b/c his ways aren't going to lead to winning basketball in 2015.

We're not trying to win. Jim buss said he's hoping he can find core players this season. To me he's saying this isn't the team we plan to win with. We're a lot closer now though because now we have a starting point. At the end of the season we will know who fits into the new culture and who doesn't. We will add free agents accordingly
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Basically no "Showboat"

Is that why Russell gets limited playing time in lieu of Lou? Or why in the interest of development, when Kobe is out, we see Huertaswho shouldn't even be in the NBA get put on the court to get roasted while Russell proceeds to get even less minutes? Gotcha.

I think Byron Scott and vet players have a symbiotic relationship. They get ample time to play themselves into new contracts and Scott gets to bring his tools along at the pace he thinks is good for them. I think Tariq black is in a similar situation.

Look at price and Ellington from last season. Both not even in the NBA before the season and both got NBA contracts this season. Clarkson was clearly better than both but Scott didn't think he was ready so he hid them on the bench until he was.

I think if Tariq black finds his way off the bench again we will be pleasantly surprised with his play.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron on D'Angelo: "He's gotta earn my Trust, be our Facilitator, stick within the System"

Clark Kent wrote:
Byron Scott on D'Angelo Russell 11/19/2015: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-eVUIflvt1o

Quote:
On Playing in his System:

“Right now he's still trying to find his way. He’s trying to find his niche and trying to find out what he can do within the offense to be successful. And as I’ve I told him, I’m not looking for you to average 20 points a game, I’m looking for you to be our facilitator and get everybody where they need to be, but also to be aggressive when you have the opportunity to be aggressive. I think he’s trying to figure out that happy medium.”

On Trusting Russell:

"You gotta earn it. Players have got to make me want to trust them. D'Angelo’s one of those guys that I’m getting to that point where I’m trusting him, but I still want him to continue to learn and not try to do things on the fly, I just want him to stick within the system as much as possible.”

Byron Scott is an idiot. I hope and pray to God that he is fired before the start of next season. His coaching philosophy makes no sense whatsoever. It's a system built for failure. It is time for Byron to take his 3 championship rings(Which he won with Magic, Kareem, and Worthy), and find a new career, because obviously his coaching career has been mostly crap. As a head coach, he's won 437 out of 1019 games. That is a 43% win percentage, for someone that's been coaching 14 years? Please, Lakers, fire this nitwit asap and hire either Tom Thibodeau or Luke Walton before the start of next season. Enough is enough Jimbo and Kupcake!!!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Basically no "Showboat"

I think Byron Scott and vet players have a symbiotic relationship. They get ample time to play themselves into new contracts and Scott gets to bring his tools along at the pace he thinks is good for them. I think Tariq black is in a similar situation.

Look at price and Ellington from last season. Both not even in the NBA before the season and both got NBA contracts this season. Clarkson was clearly better than both but Scott didn't think he was ready so he hid them on the bench until he was.

I think if Tariq black finds his way off the bench again we will be pleasantly surprised with his play.

I don't buy it. Lou is just starting on his new, shiny contract. Hibbert would get more minutes as this is his contract year as opposed to 26/game he's getting if that were the logic.

Likewise, Clarkson didn't get off the pine until Price got injured last year. That is a fact. He wasn't hiding him. Explain why Lin couldn't get off the pine for long stretches as he was fighting for a new contract. Price was untouchable, Clarkson couldn't even get off the bench and Lin was jerked around all last season.

There some revisionism and reaching going on here.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: