BScott is actually handling playing time well
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: BScott is actually handling playing time well

I actually like how Byron is giving minutes. We are approaching the wnd of the first month and the young guns have not been given the keys to the kingdom. This is a good thing. We want them to acclimate to the Nba, the physicality, the film room requirements. We also went for wins. I'm sure after the beginning of the new year, we will see more and more from the young guys as they develop, play, and watch.

It is how I would handle it if I ran the team. It is a long season and they will get lots of opportunities later on.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject:

Bass? Why is he playing backup center?

Why did it take 12 games to figure out that DLO/JC need to be playing PG at all times?

How about Kobe's minutes and accountability?

I'm sorry, he may be "improving" on some playing time, but everything else is a disaster. 2-11 is on my side of the argument.
DrumR
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject:

No offense. But I would have fired you as well. His IN GAME minutes distribution (actual coaching) is..what's worse than bad? His management of Kobe as an older player has been laughable too.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject:

About the only thing I can't complain about is that the young core all played 30+min. The very fact we don't see A.Brown, Nance, Black, etc. playing is another matter.
DrumR
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject:

Oh and Lou Williams getting time as a PG...hahaha...enough said.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject:

Mitch got a 6th man SG and a reliable backup PF.

Scott has them playing PG and C.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Why did it take 12 games to figure out that DLO/JC need to be playing PG at all times?

I'm sorry, he may be "improving" on some playing time, but everything else is a disaster. 2-11 is on my side of the argument.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

I just don't complain how he's giving the minutes to Russell and Randle. Minutes given is the smallest problem.

But, he's making a lot of other mistakes in terms of minutes: our player with highest MPG is Kobe, a 37 year old coming from several major injuries; reality is he shouldn't be playing more than 24MPG and it reflects in his poor shooting performance. On the other hand, Clarkson could handle more than 30 MPG, easily. Black and Nance are getting ridiculous minutes, not to mention Brown. Our PG and C minutes are being delivered to Lou and Bass.

As I said, it's the easiest problem to fix and Byron's problems go much beyond minutes.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Is Byron the only one that doesn't see this?
It's mind boggling!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Is Byron the only one that doesn't see this?
It's mind boggling!

Here is an iphone for XMas. (the person you bought it for uses it as a paperweight).

Here is a high end blender (they use it to store sugar).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject:

Scott is doing a good job of developing the young players, it is his handling of the vets that leaves one scratching their head.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers coach Byron Scott encourages patience for development of his team's young players: "I know we want these guys to develop extremely fast -- nobody [does] more than me.
[But] I take [Portland Trail Blazers guard C. J.] McCollum as an example. Its his third year. It takes time. I think everybody has to understand that. I dont think a lot of people do, unfortunately.
[D'Angelo Russell], it might be sometime toward the end of next season where he says, Man, Im starting to get it.
Same thing with Julius [Randle]. Were going to just be patient and keep working them the way weve been working them and try to bring them along."

Baxter Holmes
ESPN Staff Writer
DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Sorry for the confusion, I was talking about the young guys. Still will never understand why Bass is playing center.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately many fans lack the patience gene. They want to rebuild, to build a team around draft picks, then complain that they aren't developing fast enough.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Unfortunately many fans lack the patience gene. They want to rebuild, to build a team around draft picks, then complain that they aren't developing fast enough.

That's true.
But I'm pretty sure he can develop the kids while not playing Lou and Bass out of position.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject:

The only silver lining is that he's giving Russell/Clarkson/Randle significant minutes. The sooner they develop, the better it is for us.

However, the lack of Larry Nance and Anthony Brown is very disturbing. I get that he's trying to establish a veteran presence, but we aren't winning ballgames with them. We have a better chance of winning with our rooks than with Lou and Metta.

Last edited by KindCrippler2000 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
The only silver lining is that he's giving Russell/Clarkson/Randle significant minutes.

However, the lack of Larry Nance and Anthony Brown is very disturbing. I get that he's trying to establish a veteran presence, but we aren't winning ballgames with them. We have a better chance of winning with our rooks than we do with Lou and Metta.

Don't forget Black. He's a piece I wouldn't mind keeping as a 5th big man in the rotation (and we have RFA rights to him).
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:
The only silver lining is that he's giving Russell/Clarkson/Randle significant minutes.

However, the lack of Larry Nance and Anthony Brown is very disturbing. I get that he's trying to establish a veteran presence, but we aren't winning ballgames with them. We have a better chance of winning with our rooks than we do with Lou and Metta.

Don't forget Black. He's a piece I wouldn't mind keeping as a 5th big man in the rotation (and we have RFA rights to him).

I knew I was missing someone. It's hard to point out the entirety of Byron's mistakes.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Sucks too. If the young guys have a good game, it's a win for me regardless of what the final score is. And I'm considered one of the "new generation" of fans.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm only complaining that they aren't getting ENOUGH development. It's literally only NOW that Russell is finally starting to see some real playing time when it should have been like that from day 1.

I don't care if we lose every game this year. Just care about having Russell/Clarkson/Randle getting the most minutes and touches/shots on the team.
Genaro
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject:

The guy is a underrated genius. I mean he will develop the young guys while giving us our top 3 pick and fooling people to pretend he is trying to win.
mde24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

That's true.
But I'm pretty sure he can develop the kids while not playing Lou and Bass out of position.

It all goes back to acquisition of Roy, Lou and Bass, only Roy has not had a problem being used properly. Lou is a dup of Nick, but it's being worked out with "modest" success. Bass should be backing up Randel not backing up Roy. The problem is Roy has no back up and Byron is having to make do, choosing between Black and Bass. What wrong with Black? Nobody knows. Coach's decision DNP. What wrong with Sacre, don't know, they say he's hurt. Upshaw? D-League, Still not ready? It's what many fans worried about before the season, Back up center is a mess. Playing Bass at center should be situational at best, not your go to option when Roy need rest or is in foul problems. To me this is still a Mitch problem if you don't have the right parts for the Laker Team.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Sucks too. If the young guys have a good game, it's a win for me regardless of what the final score is. And I'm considered one of the "new generation" of fans.

I am old school but I feel the same way. I care less about the final score than I do about how the kids perform when they are in the game together.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm only complaining that they aren't getting ENOUGH development. It's literally only NOW that Russell is finally starting to see some real playing time when it should have been like that from day 1.

I don't care if we lose every game this year. Just care about having Russell/Clarkson/Randle getting the most minutes and touches/shots on the team.

Where you err is in thinking that develop can only happen in games. Most development happens in practice and some in games as well.
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject:

The answer to why Lou was playing backup PG is simple: Russell or Clarkson weren't ready to play PG, and he needed a vet who was quick enough to halfway defend PG's, which excludes Huertas, who gets DESTROYED defensively every time he gets out on the floor. Don't you think B Scott KNOWS that he was playing Lou out of position?

Also, many of you talk about "positionless basketball". Steph Curry is really a small 2-guard that can pass a bit. This is just the poor man's version.

As for Bass playing backup over Black, remember Black is still an undrafted 2nd year (or 2nd round draft pick) player. Bass still has the experience over Black, and can knock down jumpers more than Black can. Easy to see why he would elect to do it: you can't have ALL inexperienced players playing on the floor at once: otherwise you get the 76'ers.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: