Shane Battier: The Lakers will be a championship level team within three years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject:

You know the 2008-09 thunder team were awful with KD and Westbrook.

I remember when we played them and were basically toying....how things quickly changed within 2 years. The Warriors might look back on this one day.

Its they are young and I mean really young 19 for randle and 19 for Dlo. I will say this team as a more competive edge to it then years past tankers teams. Next year is the year were we are playing for an 7th or 8th seed.

Kobe needs to retire hes hurting this team. It would be a lot better wacthing the core of Clarkston, dlo and randle
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:

I remember when we played them and were basically toying....how things quickly changed within 2 years. The Warriors might look back on this one day.

Its they are young and I mean really young 19 for randle and 19 for Dlo. I will say this team as a more competive edge to it then years past tankers teams. Next year is the year were we are playing for an 7th or 8th seed.

Kobe needs to retire hes hurting this team. It would be a lot better wacthing the core of Clarkston, dlo and randle

You are comparing Clarkson, Dlo and Randle to players who are superstars aka franchise players. (ie. Durant, Curry and Westbrook)

What makes you think that we are playing for the 7th or 8th seed?

It will depend on who we get on this team before anyone can make those statement.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
lets hope he's right because this is not fun.

Rebuilding never is.

I disagree. I have watched the Orlando rebuild post Dwight, and although I am not emotionally invested, I think there has been enjoyment from the fans. They have lost a lot of games, and there have been bumps, but you see the improvement each month, and the plan has always been close to on track. They will likely be a playoff team again next year.

At this point, I think if 10 Lakers fans were asked of the official plan, one would get 10 different answers. Are we committed to rebuilding and developing young players? Then why are we keeping youth on the bench in favor of Lou, Bass, MWP? Why release young potential before the season to keep Sacre who does not even dress for games or a slow and grounded Metta?....and a thousand other questions that make it hard to claim we are committed to developing young talent. Then we must be committed to signing star free agents, but then it is a struggle to offer support to the theory we will be able to attract star talent in free agency. Are we tanking to keep next years pick? If so, is Byron aware of this plan or is he really this bad?

I think rebuilding is painful for us for reasons beyond our spoiled winning tradition. There seems to be no common thoughts or commitment from the organization to a master plan, and it is hard to find the light in that tunnel. I can deal with losing games for a bit, but I struggle with the inability to feel positive thoughts from simple progress. It would not be hard to sell me on a plan......just lay it out and have the actions align with the words, and I will be all in.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
24 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

Rebuilding never is.

I disagree. I have watched the Orlando rebuild post Dwight, and although I am not emotionally invested, I think there has been enjoyment from the fans. They have lost a lot of games, and there have been bumps, but you see the improvement each month, and the plan has always been close to on track. They will likely be a playoff team again next year.

At this point, I think if 10 Lakers fans were asked of the official plan, one would get 10 different answers. Are we committed to rebuilding and developing young players? Then why are we keeping youth on the bench in favor of Lou, Bass, MWP? Why release young potential before the season to keep Sacre who does not even dress for games or a slow and grounded Metta?....and a thousand other questions that make it hard to claim we are committed to developing young talent. Then we must be committed to signing star free agents, but then it is a struggle to offer support to the theory we will be able to attract star talent in free agency. Are we tanking to keep next years pick? If so, is Byron aware of this plan or is he really this bad?

I think rebuilding is painful for us for reasons beyond our spoiled winning tradition. There seems to be no common thoughts or commitment from the organization to a master plan, and it is hard to find the light in that tunnel. I can deal with losing games for a bit, but I struggle with the inability to feel positive thoughts from simple progress. It would not be hard to sell me on a plan......just lay it out and have the actions align with the words, and I will be all in.

Great example.

We forget that there are 29 other teams in the NBA who objectives are the same as ours.

You can also consider franchises from the NFL, MLB, etc.

Their objectives are the same. If you take the time to compare what the Lakers are doing v. these other franchises who are rebuilding, you will see the differences that you pointed out.

You are right the FO is dysfunctional and we are seeing the result on the floor.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject:

Concur -- mixed messages from the front office/coaching staff are creating mixed/poor results on the floor. All of us are willing to follow a plan to improve. It just appears we have no direct plan/line of improvement. Very frustrating, but I still watch for those glimpses of positives from our younger players.

Im starting to hope for the youngsters to look better and better but for us to still lose to keep that top 3 pick. Hate that feeling, but we are not a very competitive team at this moment or the past 3 years:((
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:

You are comparing Clarkson, Dlo and Randle to players who are superstars aka franchise players. (ie. Durant, Curry and Westbrook)

It will depend on who we get on this team before anyone can make those statement.

Duh, Durant and Westbrook were not superstars their first season either. A little logic goes a long way.
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject:

Keep the young players and clear the roster out. Get a top three draft pick and try and get some good free agents who are better than the current players on the roster. And replace Scott with a better coach.

Last edited by Dilla_ on Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
botox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Magic2Kobe wrote:
Shane is smoking. It'll take 3 years just to assemble a team that can (possibly) make the playoffs (provided the youth develops and meets expectations, which is never a given. I don't like Russell's quickness and Randle's lack of length and jumper. So the potential of those two is way up in the air. We can't just chalk them in as future all-stars), and then another 3-5 years gaining the necessary playoff experience that contending teams have and need.

KD is a pipe dream. He's already got a taste of the Finals, and he's going to want to go a 45-50 win team where he's the final piece of the puzzle (like Washington or just stay at OKC). He's not going to want to come here and have to mentor rookies/youth and go through that learning experience all over again.

The most realistic pipe dream starting lineup we can have in 3 years is:

Russell
Clarkson
Simmons
Randle
Whiteside

Huge question marks besides all of them aside from Whiteside, and why would he leave a team that is turning into a Eastern Conference contender (they have the potential to be a truly great defensive team) to come to the Lakers? Riles is so far ahead of the Lakers FO in team building and even "drawing power," it'll take miracle for Whiteside to leave there.

"Well, he might see that Wade is getting older...yadayada."

Shane's optimism is rooted in the past.

Everything he said.

I'm not sure, but I think the FO is just hoping to hit the lottery in FA like Miami did with LeBron and Bosh.

Miami had Pat Riley, though. We have who we have.

I could be proven wrong, but I doubt any high profile FA is coming to LA. Fans need to be prepared for Durant not being a Laker. Hopefully the FO is prepared and won't again screw up free agency.
LakersLegacy24
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Honestly it will be sooner that that. This only happens if Kobe stays to lead the charge though. They need a true alpha with that killer mentality!
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject:

I might have to remember this from Shane to see if it really is true. It might be, he's a smart guy and one of those guys that is aware of what's going on in the NBA...Steve kerr was one of these guys ever since his playing days.

It makes sense in a lot of ways. First, the way the Lakers are playing doesn't make sense for a team trying to win. So, I do really believe there is a plan in place that might include sucking for a year or two more. If this is true, it makes more sense of what we're seeing, which we don't like because as fans we are in the "win now, right now! this year!" mode.

Kobe has acknowledged that he doesn't expect to win another ring.

Byron is no better or worse than any other coach since PJ.

We are young. very young.

Our veteran/stars are not considered top 10 or 20 or 30, etc.

Most of the official quotes from the team/administration/coaches indicate a longer vision, not anything for winning now, nor do they express or address any concern about all the losing. i.e. they are ok with it or it is expected.

we can already see that even the fans can't wait for kobe to retire. when MJ was in his final 3peat, it was not the case at all.

also, there has never been a full decade without the lakers in contention for a ring. if this is NOT true, this will be the first decade of not ever competing for a ring. since 2011, it hasn't been close.

so yea, he mgiht be right.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
adkindo wrote:
24 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

Rebuilding never is.

Great example.

We forget that there are 29 other teams in the NBA who objectives are the same as ours.

You can also consider franchises from the NFL, MLB, etc.

Their objectives are the same. If you take the time to compare what the Lakers are doing v. these other franchises who are rebuilding, you will see the differences that you pointed out.

You are right the FO is dysfunctional and we are seeing the result on the floor.
cant compare the rebuild of a team you love with a team you don't. Emotions are everything
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:

That 08-09 OKC team had Jeff Green and Ibaka as well.
The next year they drafted Harden and made a playoff push.
Don't hold your breath for our rebuild to be as rapid as theirs.
They killed it on their draft picks year after year after year.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Keep the pick and hire Thibs.

Clarkson
Russell
Ingram
Randle
Hibbert

We'll be competitive again quickly.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
laker4life wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:

Duh, Durant and Westbrook were not superstars their first season either. A little logic goes a long way.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Mege
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
2019 wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:
WeDidItReddit wrote:
BATTIER FOR COACH

He could be a good coach. I remember I saw a segment before where he had a stat sheet on Kobe's preferences. Dude researched his defensive assignments like it was his homework!

I honestly think he'd be an incredible coach... big analytics guy, great defender, championship experience, humble, positive personality, understands players/star mentalities, Coach K connection, etc.

Maybe Battier knows he's the next Laker coach

This. If he doesn't know something, he's definitely planning on or angling to be that coach in the those 3 years. He is considered one of the best basketball minds of his generation. He seems to have the makings of a great coach.
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject:

Battier is a very smart guy. I don't know if he has some inside information or not, but I sure hope he's right on this.
legend825
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject:

I think Battier is just sharing his opinion... Maybe he thinks players will come now to take over the mantel and lead the team. Problem is that will take a few years b/c superstars like KD don't want to be on rebuilding teams and neither do some coaches.
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject:

While I don't advocate cheating, I am hoping that the NBA front offices are realizing how devastating it was to Veto the Chris Paul trade.

Maybe in the same way NO was gifted Anthony Davis, things are about to go our way, and Shane Battier has seen Silver's master plans?!

Maybe he's angling for the job now, because he knows he can't lose.

Looking at it that way, I wonder how few moves it would take to be competitive, and how quickly we could actually be competing for a title?!
gtg305h
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject:

Nice to see someone have some balanced perspective on Kobe, yes, he's playing below standard, but there are other players who have off shooting and poor attitudes

I hate Zach Lowe, he's a long nosed bastard who worships Daryl Morey and is one of those guys with Celtic ties that Simmons picked up back in the day who loves taking shots at Kobe and the Lakers, screw that boring ass dude, i hope he catches yellow fever

Also, to the posters telling Kobe to retire to make yourself feel good about a nothing season, i wish somebody would do the same to you and urge you to retire from whatever mediocre profession you have, throwing out criticism, you would never accept yourself....
joey25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:

nobody is a superstar when they're 19.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:

Yeah because those 3 were superstars at ages 19 and 20 and in their 1st/2nd year too right?
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Championship form within three years ? Ha !

Jerry Buss's personal drive and judgement was the primary basis for the franchise's repeated returns to glory. But it's easy to ignore the mistake buried in Battier's assumption mix; he forgot that Jerry's gone.

It'd take miracles to acquire the managing owner, coach and players necessary to make the conference finals before June 2019. Let's see: we need, ummm, we need, ummm, we need, ummm ... everything. There's about thirty teams aiming to do the same thing, and we're on the verge of wave on salary cap relief throughout the league. Ain't gonna happen within three years. Jim Buss himself is the factor that will assure the Laker franchise gets repeatedly out-thought, out-planned, and out-played.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject:

joey25 wrote:
laker4life wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:

nobody is a superstar when they're 19.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: