Magic isn't blasting the coach much these days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
If you would have told me when I was a kid that one day I'd grow up to dislike Magic Johnson I never would have believed it.

Magic was my GOAT. But, he's full of crap as a fan. Even worse as a media figurehead.

The player and person are 2 different folks. That's how I deal.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject:

We know from Showtime that Magic is a really emotional guy. He wears it on his sleeve and he likes attention. Those things were great for his game.

But now I see him as a fan. A fan that also doesn't want to see his beloved friend hated.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject:

How many people would publicly bash their friend? This is hardly something unique to Magic. We don't need Magic to say Byron is terrible, we can all see it.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
I love Magic and I loved how he blasted our past coaches and management, but him turning a blind eye to the mess Byron is doing is the top of hypocrisy and has made him lose all credibility with me on the the subject.
Seriously, if we canned BS and hire a young coach and we struggle because face it, the talent is not there, you can just see Magic ranting on TV how we are the Lakers, you don't hire some newbie with no experience, blah, blah blah. Under Brad Stevens the Celtics sucked worst than the Lakers the first year, you don't see Larry Bird yapping his mouth. If you are a young and coming coach who is not boys with Magic, why would you want to take the Lakers job ? Instead of being an asset, Magic is actually hurting the Lakers organization.

Last edited by DocK36 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Magic will speak up again once Byron is eventually canned.

"B Scott wasn't given a fair chance! Dr. Buss would've given Byron a roster he could win a title with!"
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
I love Magic and I loved how he blasted our past coaches and management, but him turning a blind eye to the mess Byron is doing is the top of hypocrisy and has made him lose all credibility with me on the the subject.
Seriously, if we canned BS and hire a young coach and we struggle because face it, the talent is not there, you can just see Magic ranting on TV how we are the Lakers, you don't hire some newbie with no experience, blah, blah blah. Under Brad Stevens the Celtics sucked worst than the Lakers the first year, you don't see Larry Bird yapping his mouth. If you are a young and coming coach who is not boys with Magic, why would you want to take the Lakers job ? Instead of being an asset, Magic is actually hurting the Lakers organization.

This is why Luke makes the most sense. It should still keep the Magic criticism to a minimum
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:

"B Scott wasn't given a fair chance! Dr. Buss would've given Byron a roster he could win a title with!"

Well what your saying is true, if they fire BS, and hire Luke then revamp the team by adding FA's like Westbrook, KD etc. Then what they did is crap and low class.
Magic will eventually buy the Lakers and you can bet he will put in Kareem and Rambis as the coaches.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
bonkers wrote:

Well what your saying is true, if they fire BS, and hire Luke then revamp the team and add FA's like Westbrook, KD etc. Then what they did is crap and low class.
Magic will eventually buy the Lakers and you can bet he will put in Kareem and Rambis as the coaches.

Kurt Rambis leading us to the promised land
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

This is why Luke makes the most sense. It should still keep the Magic criticism to a minimum
Agreed, especially with the GSW doing so well under him and his dad being Bill Walton, the media and Magic will have to cut him a lot of slack. Anyone else taking over for BS you know Magic will be chomping to bash.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
How many people would publicly bash their friend? This is hardly something unique to Magic. We don't need Magic to say Byron is terrible, we can all see it.

The thing that rubbed me the wrong way is how easily Magic is willing to bash others in the organization, like Jim or D'antoni.

If he's going to do that, then he should just publicly say that he can't properly assess Byron's performance because he is too biased to be able to analyze it honestly.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject:

yeah, it's a lock Magic bashes whoever the next coach is
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Magic is the definition of attention whore
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Bol wrote:

The thing that rubbed me the wrong way is how easily Magic is willing to bash others in the organization, like Jim or D'antoni.

If he's going to do that, then he should just publicly say that he can't properly assess Byron's performance because he is too biased to be able to analyze it honestly.
exactly, if he was so ready to viciously bash Dantoni publicly as a commentator on TV, then you can't keep quiet when Byron's "coaching" is 10x worst just because he's your buddy.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
yeah, it's a lock Magic bashes whoever the next coach is
Unless they hired either Worthy, Rambis, Kareem or Wilkes to replace Byron
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject:

LG broz are complaining about Magic not complaining about what they used to complain about him complaining about.

Broz...
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject:

That would mean blasting the guy he backed 100000000000% as being coach
24LaterMurus
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
LG broz are complaining about Magic not complaining about what they used to complain about him complaining about.

Broz...

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Do people really expect say if Fisher became a Laker coach, or say Pau Gasol, that Kobe would one day go on twitter and bash him if the Lakers were doing badly?

That just isn't how friendship and team bonding works. You're bros for life, in most cases. And no matter what, you don't trash your teammate and friend like that.

Magic and the showtime crew have a deep connection basketball wise, and there's no way they'll bash him.

And the other thing, while I'm no fan of Byron, nor did I want him as Laker coach or want to see him continue, I also think only a homer would think this Laker team is any good. We have some of the worst defenders in the league, our team isn't long or athletic which is usually the sort of teams that play good D in the league. And we're lacking a primary all-star and our 2nd best players are all a combination of rookies/sophomores who are good but not great.

The way some people act it's as if Byron took a 60 win roster and turned it into a 60 loss team. It's a 50+ loss team in LA. Byron as the tank master is just making sure it's going to be 60 or more. Byron inherited a team that lost 55 IIRC, and he lost it's best player - Pau Gasol (17/10/2 guy) to FA. From 55 losses, it's gone up to 61 last year. I don't know of too many coaches in the league who'd have hit 30+ wins this year or last, with the rosters Mitch/Jim have provided.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Yeah... i never expected the showtime crew to criticize Scott. I understood that. I just hope they don't try to make him sound competent. Then i'll be upset. As long as they stay quiet, i don't have a problem.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Do people really expect say if Fisher became a Laker coach, or say Pau Gasol, that Kobe would one day go on twitter and bash him if the Lakers were doing badly?

That just isn't how friendship and team bonding works. You're bros for life, in most cases. And no matter what, you don't trash your teammate and friend like that.

Magic and the showtime crew have a deep connection basketball wise, and there's no way they'll bash him.

Yeah, I know, "Boys for life" and all that.Fine. Magic is still a hypocrite and still continues to look foolish when he's sitting there blasting on people that aren't part of "The Cartel" or aren't in "The Cartel's" favor.

Quote:
And the other thing, while I'm no fan of Byron, nor did I want him as Laker coach or want to see him continue, I also think only a homer would think this Laker team is any good. We have some of the worst defenders in the league, our team isn't long or athletic which is usually the sort of teams that play good D in the league. And we're lacking a primary all-star and our 2nd best players are all a combination of rookies/sophomores who are good but not great.

The way some people act it's as if Byron took a 60 win roster and turned it into a 60 loss team. It's a 50+ loss team in LA. Byron as the tank master is just making sure it's going to be 60 or more.

Were on pace to have a worse record than last year. Did you expect this team to be worst than last year?

!...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Were on pace to have a worse record than last year. Did you expect this team to be worst than last year?

No way, but the schedule has also been really tough.

The teams we've faced IMO are mostly better than us.

Sota (Better at 5, 3, 1)
Kings (Better at 5, 3, 1)
Dallas (Better at 4, 3, 2)
Denver (Better at 4, 3)
BRK (Better at 5)
Knicks (Better at 5, 4, 3)
Miami (Better at 5, 4, 3, 2, 1)
Magic (Better at 5, 4, 2)
Dallas again
Magic again
Det (Better at 5, 2 and 1)
Pheonix (Better at 5, 2, 1)
POR (Better at 2, 1)
GST (Better at 5, 4, 2, 1)

I'm looking at those teams, most of them are.500 or better. Most of them have better rosters and talent than us. Outside of Brooklyn and Portland, I think every team we've faced is better talent wise than us as a starting 5. Denver is about the same. So I give the coaches of Denver and Portland a lot of credit. But even with that in mind - Portland and Denver have players like Galli or that POR backcourt. There's some firepower there. Guys that can give you 20-22 points a night at times. We're sorely lacking those kinds of players. Russ and Randle could be that - but it may take them a year or two.

Again don't confuse that with saying Byron is adding value to the team, he isn't. He's been a liability. But I think talent wise, we're in the bottom 6-7 of the league. I say this not as someone who just watches the Lakers these days, I watch a lot more NBA now than in the past. If Kobe keeps playing this way and none of the kids step up. I don't know of a single competitive team that has a player like Kobe playing how he is, and a group of guys like Clarkson/Randle/Russ who are good but not earth shattering. Most teams that are good have more to work with IMO.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
Well, isn't it somewhat understandable though?

MDA never should have been hired and unfortunately he had to be fired. Not because he was a bad coach but because the fanbase would never forgive him being hired over Phil.
Jimbo is stuck trying to appease to the fanbase for not hiring Phil. Therefore he hired BScott, a former Laker and a popular choice. He drafted Dlo over Porzingis even though I'm pretty sure they knew Porzingis would be better. How the hell could they not? Short sighted decisions though, both backfired and keep backfiring.

I also think MDA decision has made Jim/Mitch a little gun shy. Moreover, I think it is clear the conflicting divergent visions within the organization.

Mitch and Jim want to go up tempo modern. In that vein, all of their decisions are in line with that i.e. Nash, MDA, Randle, DLO, Abrown, JC, Nance.

Jeanie and Showtime guys want to stay more with the past and this explains Kobes K, Byron being hired, etc.

They have tried to fuse these visions but its not coming together
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

No way, but the schedule has also been really tough.

The teams we've faced IMO are mostly better than us.

Sota (Better at 5, 3, 1)
Kings (Better at 5, 3, 1)
Dallas (Better at 4, 3, 2)
Denver (Better at 4, 3)
BRK (Better at 5)
Knicks (Better at 5, 4, 3)
Miami (Better at 5, 4, 3, 2, 1)
Magic (Better at 5, 4, 2)
Dallas again
Magic again
Det (Better at 5, 2 and 1)
Pheonix (Better at 5, 2, 1)
POR (Better at 2, 1)
GST (Better at 5, 4, 2, 1)

I'm looking at those teams, most of them are.500 or better. Most of them have better rosters and talent than us. Outside of Brooklyn and Portland, I think every team we've faced is better talent wise than us as a starting 5. Denver is about the same. So I give the coaches of Denver and Portland a lot of credit. But even with that in mind - Portland and Denver have players like Galli or that POR backcourt. There's some firepower there. Guys that can give you 20-22 points a night at times. We're sorely lacking those kinds of players. Russ and Randle could be that - but it may take them a year or two.

Again don't confuse that with saying Byron is adding value to the team, he isn't. He's been a liability. But I think talent wise, we're in the bottom 6-7 of the league. I say this not as someone who just watches the Lakers these days, I watch a lot more NBA now than in the past. If Kobe keeps playing this way and none of the kids step up. I don't know of a single competitive team that has a player like Kobe playing how he is, and a group of guys like Clarkson/Randle/Russ who are good but not earth shattering. Most teams that are good have more to work with IMO.

So the lakers are a combination of (bleep) talent and (bleep) coaching. Fantastic.

!...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately until Kobe plays better and the kids grow - yes and yes. At least with the roster the draft picks like Russ, Randle etc will get better with time. And there's cap space to add more talent. But the coaching my god will always be awful so long as Byron is at the helm.

At this point I'm just hoping I see some progress in the draft picks' games by season end and then start fresh with some talent added via FA, possibly the draft lotto and hopefully a new coach as well.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
Yeah... i never expected the showtime crew to criticize Scott. I understood that. I just hope they don't try to make him sound competent. Then i'll be upset. As long as they stay quiet, i don't have a problem.

This is a good point, but the hypocrisy of it all is the fact that Magic openly bashed the coaching and FO of our organization when it wasn't what HE wanted. Now he is nowhere to be found. Time to "man up" Magic.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: