HAPPY THANKSGIVING

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Wishing the LG family a happy and safe Thanksgiving. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject:

Have a good time fellas
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject:

So THAT'S why there's football on!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject:

Happy Thanksgiving, LG!

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject:

List what you had to eat afterwards. Let's see who played Thanksgiving the right way.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Gobble, gobble.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Happy Thanksgiving!
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Happy thanksgiving my southern neighbours. Heading down to Portland for the Game on Saturday!!!!!!!
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Turkey came out great, although I've known how to cook delicious turkeys for years now. I have a tradition of smothering leftover turkey with campbells cream of mushroom soup the next day, putting some of the sauce over the mashed potatoes.

Only downside is that we did a 15 pound bird. I usually like something in the 20-25 pound range, so that the leftovers are plenty.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Turkey came out great, although I've known how to cook delicious turkeys for years now. I have a tradition of smothering leftover turkey with campbells cream of mushroom soup the next day, putting some of the sauce over the mashed potatoes.

Only downside is that we did a 15 pound bird. I usually like something in the 20-25 pound range, so that the leftovers are plenty.

How do you do it? Doesn't it make sense to cook the white and dark meat separately?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

How do you do it? Doesn't it make sense to cook the white and dark meat separately?

How would you do that?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

How would you do that?

You have to be SUPREMELY racist.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Didn't see the reply, but now that the thread is bumped. I give the turkey a good brine in a salt/sugar solution (part water, part broth), with lots of herbs, garlic, etc. For cooking, I prepare an herb butter (thyme, sage, rosemary, garlic, salt, etc.), and put it under the skin, and a little over the bird. Rub the outside of it with a good spice mix, and I personally stuff the turkey with regular stuffing.

For cooking, don't use a rack. Put lots of aromatic vegetables & herbs on the bottom of the pan. Add some flavorful liquid to the pan (i.e. broth and something else, like a good white wine or apple cider) to prevent it from drying out. Cook the turkey upside down, covered in foil like 80% of the time. Turn over and uncover the foil to brown.

Always err on the side of caution and pull your bird earlier. Let it rest fully, and then see where you're at. Sometimes, it's pretty difficult to cook the thigh/legs perfectly, without overcooking the breast, so I am not opposed to cutting of the thigh/leg at that point, and finishing it off in another pan.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject:

I'm kind of curious to make a turkey from a premium brand. Maybe they will be discounted now. Also, I've never tried roasting in one of those roasting bags (heard good things about this method).
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject:

You gotta keep basting that bird to keep it moist, and it increases the chance of the drum sticks and wings from drying out. I do it at 30 minute intervals. I don't do the rack either, I jump start it by pouring a little chicken stock in the base along with some veggies. The bigger the bird, the less stock is needed as the fat will start melting and fill the bottom (I like 25 lb. birds). I prefer a bit of butter and a little rub rather than brine. With that size bird there's plenty of fat for gravy, I like adding a bit of brandy and a little wild mushroom for flavor.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
You gotta keep basting that bird to keep it moist, and it increases the chance of the drum sticks and wings from drying out. I do it at 30 minute intervals. I don't do the rack either, I jump start it by pouring a little chicken stock in the base along with some veggies. The bigger the bird, the less stock is needed as the fat will start melting and fill the bottom (I like 25 lb. birds). I prefer a bit of butter and a little rub rather than brine. With that size bird there's plenty of fat for gravy, I like adding a bit of brandy and a little wild mushroom for flavor.

Had grown so tired of bird duties (I usually cover everything) that I finally handed the turkey franchise over to my sister and took care of the sides and the ribeye roast. But this gets my juices going again. My bird has been so inconsistent the past 8 years.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:

im not a big fan of Turkey but Im always asked to cook it among other things because I do it so well.
I brine but dont over brine since the standard turkey is essentially pre-brined, pat it down dry with paper towels, spatchcock it, season and oil it, and grill on my kamado grill indirect at 380 degrees. The key is to have a meat thermometer and pull it off before it over-cooks. Result is nice crispy skin and with nice juicy meat.
this year I wasnt going to cook one but got one very last minute since it was dirt cheap at Winco. Defrosted overnight, skipped the brine, rubbed in a canola oil+duck fat and some herb seasoning I had. And injected with a melted butter plus herb seasoning. Still came out great.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject:

I wonder if any of the locals bagged a "free" wild turkey out here. The population exploded the past few years, but then this year it seems like they've all but disappeared from some reason.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject:

Biggest mistake made cooking turkey is over cooking. 15 minutes per pound is adequate. The next week the turkey is still moist.

Basting is a must while cooking. Cooking the bird on the breast instead of the back allows the white meat to be more moist.

30 minuets before done, turn the bird on it's back uncover and let brown. Keep basting.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: