Jahlil Okafor gets into TWO street fights in Boston (Pg 8: Video of 2nd fight)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Involved in another incident in October...

http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/philly/sports&id=356308201

Maybe the Lakers saw a hint of this a during workouts.

still doesn't seem like a good enough reason to pass on Okafor and Porzingis.

Yes is does for okafor now that it's been established this is a recurring incident.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
Really is bizarre - the other poster was definitely telling the truth about Sixers fans. About 60-70% of them are defending what he did.

Old hat. Chuck. He and Jayson Williams got into a bar scrap where J-Will conked a fellow patron with a beer mug. Those two actually did worse than JO.

Chuck once threw a guy through a plate glass window at a club.

I saw Chuck's SportsCentury epi on YT about a month ago. He went over that and the spitting incident and the other stuff he pulled to get out of Philly. It wasn't as violent an offense as advertised, apparently Idiot #2 fell backwards into a glass case or somethin. Media made it seem like WW3. However, not to absolve Chuck, he said he decided to snap on Idiot 2 because he didn't feel like getting heckled, basically the same thing as this Okafor fracas.

As an aside, Jayson Williams going to Philly as a rookie was not good for him. He was already troubled. He got PHX to trade him after saying it was a racist city and he had his first public gun incident where he expelled a firearm in a parking lot. Chuck got him into trouble. Chuck had Moses, religious Bobby Jones, and Dr. J, Jayson got Chuck, who took him to bars where trouble would eventually find them. Charles Barkley was an outright goon in his early years, but escaped all the negatives that guys like Rodman, Coleman, and Oakley got because people liked his personality. At MSG, he jumped over the scorer's table and chased down Mike Mathis in the tunnel and had a televised yelling match with him. Imagine what that would cost a player these days.

Folding chair incident at St. John's.
http://www.nytimes.com/1988/03/06/sports/college-basketball-st-john-s-loses-fight-marred-game.html

Last edited by non-player zealot on Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:
PurpleAndGOAT wrote:
I think Jahlil did what I would've done tbh, you can't start throwing around fighting words and not back it up and he was instigating Jah and Jah got heated

but if you're Jah, you are not just an average joe anymore. You are a professional and you carry the name of your team in front of your jersey on or off the court and more importantly, he carries the NBA brand name.

Pro athletes need to be more patient. I know they're just humans but they need to learn that they can't be baited into nonsensical matters.

I disagree, i think the world needs to realize these guys are human and will act accordingly, Okafor did nothing wrong here and was the victim in the matter and had finally had enough and stood up for himself. Heckle a guy all you want during the game, but don't throw something at him and don't continue the heckling from the street, at that point he is no longer a professional, he's just a guy walking down the street.

Being human also means recognizing the situation and acting appropriately. It doesn't mean you're free to act like an idiot. Being told the 76ers suck is on the low end of the totem pole in terms of insults. It's not worth the trouble of attacking someone. The only people who would do so aren't human.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject:

From the guy who got his butt kicked:

Quote:
According to a statement issued Friday evening by Boston police, a man filed a police report Friday morning stating he was the victim of assault and battery outside the Storyville nightclub on Exeter Street in Boston at around 2 a.m. Thursday. The man said Okafor and another man approached his group and asked some of the women for their phone numbers. When the women declined, a verbal altercation ensued, followed by a physical scuffle. The man said Okafor pushed him and punched him, knocking him to the ground and causing a cut over his eye that later required stitches.

and now ESPN is reporting some earlier incident involve Okafor and hecklers:

Quote:
A heckler pointed a gun at Okafor's head following a verbal exchange in October at a Philadelphia club, the Inquirer reported, citing five sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

There is no known report of the incident and Okafor declined to address it, according to the Inquirer report. However, a source told the newspaper that federal officers witnessed the encounter.

Federal officers witnessed someone pointing a gun at someone else and no arrests were made? Must have been happy hour.

ESPN
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject:

welp having a gun pulled on you and still starting fight dude is deranged.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

The on court stuff provides the reason to pass on Okafor. But you are correct, Jahlil Okafor getting into two separate incidents at two separate clubs within a month's time doesn't seem like a good reason to pass on Porzingis. You don't say.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:
PurpleAndGOAT wrote:
I think Jahlil did what I would've done tbh, you can't start throwing around fighting words and not back it up and he was instigating Jah and Jah got heated

but if you're Jah, you are not just an average joe anymore. You are a professional and you carry the name of your team in front of your jersey on or off the court and more importantly, he carries the NBA brand name.

Pro athletes need to be more patient. I know they're just humans but they need to learn that they can't be baited into nonsensical matters.

I disagree, i think the world needs to realize these guys are human and will act accordingly, Okafor did nothing wrong here and was the victim in the matter and had finally had enough and stood up for himself. Heckle a guy all you want during the game, but don't throw something at him and don't continue the heckling from the street, at that point he is no longer a professional, he's just a guy walking down the street.

Good grief.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:
PurpleAndGOAT wrote:

Your defense of Okafor on and off the court has now gone into crazy territory.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Careful he's about to Oak you.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

44-25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject:

Best post

Re: Okafor involved in a street fight in Boston per TMZ

Post#168 » by rusoopE » Today 10:07 am
i love the sixers forum, keep it up boys, you make my days
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:

One of the advantages humans have over other mammals is our impulse control and reasoning abilities. To say it is merely being human to respond to a situation with violence is to suggest adult humans have no self control.

There is no reason to give the guy an excuse for his lack of maturity or common sense.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject:

See what you did Jim!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject:

PurpleAndGOAT wrote:

How is saying "Sixers suck" fighting words? You just can't go around punching people.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Everyone was saying defense was why the Tim Duncan comparisons weren't accurate, but forget that. Duncan is calm and collected whereas Okafor seems like a headcase.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Just one of many reasons to pass on Okafor
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:
PurpleAndGOAT wrote:

And that's obviously not ok for any guy walking down the street to do. You can't just assault people for heckling no matter who you are.

And you are an NBA player the year round, not just when you are playing.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:
PurpleAndGOAT wrote:

Being human also means recognizing the situation and acting appropriately. It doesn't mean you're free to act like an idiot. Being told the 76ers suck is on the low end of the totem pole in terms of insults. It's not worth the trouble of attacking someone. The only people who would do so aren't human.

It isn't even an insult, it is a well established fact.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Yes is does for okafor now that it's been established this is a recurring incident.

You've never seen a 19 year old get into a drunken fight outside of a club?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Well, we're now up to two known Okafor fights in six weeks, both of which he may have aggravated from verbal to physical altercations. That he had a gun drawn on him during the first incident and still got into a second altercation weeks later...? He seems like a 19-year-old jerk with anger management issues.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

Quote:
Well, we're now up to two known Okafor fights in six weeks, both of which he may have aggravated from verbal to physical altercations. That he had a gun drawn on him during the first incident and still got into a second altercation weeks later...? He seems like a 19-year-old jerk with anger management issues.

He's angry because he thought he'd be a Laker. Though if he had become one he might be twice as angry. At least he'd have two wins here.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Yes and we call those guys crazy. I think okafor would like to hold himself in higher standards since "he got money" in his own words.

It doesn't appear to be the case if he can't take a hint from a gun.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:

Quote:

He's angry because he thought he'd be a Laker. Though if he had become one he might be twice as angry. At least he'd have two wins here.

Funny, I was wondering if he's still pissed we passed on him and he ended a sixer

And that really is where you go end
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject:

More and more stories come out as it goes on, makes you wonder if the Lakers knew some of it.

Last edited by MJST on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Plenty of times and they're usually the (bleep) morons we steer away from.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13
Jump to: