Lakers in the News 11/30/15 - 12/06/15: Jordan Clarkson Says He Was ‘Playing Selfish’ In Loss To Pistons
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Lakers in the News 11/30/15 - 12/06/15: Jordan Clarkson Says He Was ‘Playing Selfish’ In Loss To Pistons

Posted in The Players Tribune

Dear Basketball,

From the moment
I started rolling my dad’s tube socks
And shooting imaginary
Game-winning shots
In the Great Western Forum
I knew one thing was real:

I fell in love with you.

A love so deep I gave you my all —
From my mind & body
To my spirit & soul.

As a six-year-old boy
Deeply in love with you
I never saw the end of the tunnel.
I only saw myself
Running out of one.

And so I ran.
I ran up and down every court
After every loose ball for you.
You asked for my hustle
I gave you my heart
Because it came with so much more.

I played through the sweat and hurt
Not because challenge called me
But because YOU called me.
I did everything for YOU
Because that’s what you do
When someone makes you feel as
Alive as you’ve made me feel.

You gave a six-year-old boy his Laker dream
And I’ll always love you for it.
But I can’t love you obsessively for much longer.
This season is all I have left to give.
My heart can take the pounding
My mind can handle the grind
But my body knows it’s time to say goodbye.

And that’s OK.
I’m ready to let you go.
I want you to know now
So we both can savor every moment we have left together.
The good and the bad.
We have given each other
All that we have.

And we both know, no matter what I do next
I’ll always be that kid
With the rolled up socks
Garbage can in the corner
:05 seconds on the clock
Ball in my hands.
5 … 4 … 3 … 2 … 1

Love you always,
Kobe

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/dear-basketball/


Last edited by lakersfreak on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:55 pm; edited 23 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject:

Kobe to retire after this season: 'My body knows it's time to say goodbye'
by Eric Pincus and Broderick Turner - latimes.com

Lakers All-Star guard Kobe Bryant announced that the current NBA season will be the final one of his storied career.

"This season is all I have left to give," writes Bryant on The Players Tribune in a letter he opens directly to the sport itself with the words, "Dear Basketball."

Bryant is in his 20th season, all with the Lakers since a draft-day trade in 1996 that sent Vlade Divac to the Charlotte Hornets in return for a 17-year old kid taken with the 13th overall pick.

Bryant won five NBA titles. He was still playing at an elite level until April 2013 when he tore an Achilles' tendon. Knee and shoulder injuries have limited Bryant the last two seasons.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-kobe-bryant-announces-retirement-after-season-20151129-story.html

Kobe makes it official: He'll retire after this season
by Bill Oram - ocregister.com

The end.

It is the thing he has pushed away as if it were an annoying defender; a subject that until very recently induced one of his dramatic eye rolls.

As injuries ended each of his last three seasons and his 20th year was being dominated by serious concerns over his shot selection and minutes. By Sunday, there was no more hiding a truth that had been confirmed night after night by a steady stream of off-the-mark 3-pointers and mounting frustration.

Kobe Bryant will retire following this season.

The announcement came in the form of a letter, a poem, posted to The Players’ Tribune hours before the Lakers (2-14) suffered a 107-103 loss to the Indiana Pacers at Staples Center.

Bryant had long said he expected this to be his final season, but said only recently did he get over the final hump of knowing that he did not want to endure the mental and physical rigors of the game for another year.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bryant-694207-season-kupchak.html

With more pain and less game, Lakers' Kobe Bryant decides he'll retire after season
by Mike Bresnahan - latimes.com

Kobe Bryant delighted in putting himself through as much pain as possible. Whatever it took to make him stronger.

He once got water-boarded just to see how it felt. He delighted in giving team employees the "Saw" horror movies, grinning while saying he could survive any of the grisly do-or-die propositions in them.

Ask anyone on the Lakers about Bryant. Pain tolerance ranks high on his most notable skill list.

He finally yielded to it Sunday, announcing his retirement after this season — 55,785 NBA minutes after it began as a 17-year-old whose last amateur game came against Erie (Pa.) Cathedral Prep.

"My body knows it's time to say goodbye," Bryant said on The Players' Tribune website, to which he was an early investor and is an occasional contributor.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-kobe-bryant-retires-20151130-story.html

Kobe says decision to announce plans to retire was an ‘internal’ one
by Mark Medina - dailynews.com

The man once became fixated on nothing more than winning NBA championships. He woke up everyday wanting nothing more than to play on the hardwood. His happiness depended on victories and defeats.

But Kobe Bryant decided this past summer he would retire following the 2015-16 season for one simple reason.

“My mind always started drifting to basketball. It doesn’t do that anymore,” Bryant said following the Lakers’ 107-103 loss to the Indiana Pacers on Sunday at Staples Center. “It does that sometimes. It doesn’t do that all the time. To me, that was the first indicator.”

It appeared the second indicator entailed the Lakers’ 2-14 record. It seemed the third indicator involved the 37-year-old Bryant averaging 15.7 points, while shooting a career-low 31.5 percent from the field and 19.5 percent from 3-point range in his 20th NBA season. Yet, Bryant maintained his decision to formally announce his retirement on Sunday had nothing to do with what he called “outside circumstances.”

“It’s an internal decision,” Bryant said. “I had to accept that I don’t want to do this anymore. I’m OK with that. Once I accepted that, I was OK and wanted to let everyone know.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151129/la-lakers-kobe-bryant-says-decision-to-announce-plans-to-retire-was-an-internal-one

Byron Scott said Kobe Bryant “at peace” with retirement decision
by Mark Medina - insidesocal.com

The news left Lakers coach Byron Scott feeling “sad” as Kobe Bryant informed him at some point on Saturday night that he planned to retire following the 2015-16 NBA season. But even if Scott nursed those feelings leading into Sunday’s game against the Indiana Pacers at Staples Center, Scott noticed that Bryant appeared “at peace” with his decision.

“It was so matter of fact,” Scott recalled in a press conference on Sunday evening. “After I thought about it, I felt better about that. It wasn’t like he was agonizing over anything.”

Bryant formally announced his plans in an article for The Players’ Tribune website that was published Sunday afternoon.

“You gave a six-year-old boy his Laker dream, and I’ll always love you for it,” Bryant wrote in the article. “But I can’t love you obsessively for much longer. This season is all I have left to give. My heart can take the pounding. My mind can handle the grind. But my body knows it’s time to say goodbye.”

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2015/11/29/lakers-byron-scott-said-kobe-bryant-at-peace-with-retirement-decision/#more-29707

Kobe Bryant provides the ultimate finish
by Jeff Miller - ocregister.com

The greatest closer I’ve ever witnessed – basketball or otherwise – finally figured out Sunday how best to provide the ultimate finish.

Kobe Bryant officially proclaimed that this will be his farewell season, an announcement not at all unexpected yet still somehow hard to hear.

“I finally just had to accept the fact that I do not want to do this anymore,” Bryant explained. “And I’m OK with that. Once I accepted that, it became time to just let everybody know.”

And with one simple nod to the obvious, Bryant did what he once used to routinely do better than anyone in all of sports: He commanded the deciding moment.

In an instant, what had become a condemnation now turns into a celebration, one Bryant might not necessarily want but one he wholly deserves.

The criticism of his lacking performance will soften. The questions about his deteriorating skills will lessen. The speculation on his fading future will disappear.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bryant-694212-kobe-lakers.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject:

Kobe Retirement Announcement Videos
by lakersnation.com

Kobe Bryant On Announcement To Retire (PT. 1): 'I Don't Want To Do This Anymore'

Kobe Bryant On Announcement To Retire (PT. 2): Talks Phil Jackson

Kobe Bryant On Retirement Announcement (PT. 3): Favorite Moment

Mitch Kupchak On Kobe Bryant's Retirement Announcement

Byron Scott On Kobe Bryant's Retirement Announcement (PT. 1)

Byron Scott On Kobe Bryant's Retirement Announcement (PT. II)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Mitch Kupchak reflects on Kobe Bryant’s past, looks to future
by Mark Medina - insidesocal.com

The soda stayed firmly in Mitch Kupchak’s hand. The Lakers’ general manager soon joked he had actually been nursing his third Rum and Coke.

Did it reflect Kupchak’s sorrow over Kobe Bryant’s announcement on Sunday that he would retire following the 2015-16 season? Or did it convery Kupchak’s celebration on having clarity on Bryant’s ending? The answer is neither. Kupchak obviously wasn’t drinking. The Lakers’ general manager also offered pragmatism on the implications on Bryant retiring after the final year of his contract worth $25 million ends.

“I’m not surprised, the surprising part of this is that he made this announcement,” Kupchak said. “My understanding all along was that this was going to be his last year. Certainly there’s been speculation and this puts an end to any speculation that he may come back for another year. But it was my understanding all along.”

Bryant had partly fueled that speculation both because of his star power and his insistence to leave his future open-ended. After playing only 35 games last season before needing surgery on his right shoulder, Bryant had publicly said he leaned toward retiring once his contract ended. But he said he “probably” would not know about his future until the 2015-16 season ended.

With Bryant formalizing his decision sooner than expected, Kupchak reflected on the development in two ways.

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2015/11/30/lakers-mitch-kupchak-reflects-on-kobe-bryants-past-looks-to-future/#more-29718
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject:

Kobe's retirement could open new vistas and bring new hope for Lakers
by Mike Bresnahan - latimes.com

Kobe Bryant's decision to retire brings to a close one of professional basketball's most storied careers.

But it also gives the Lakers, mired in one of their worst seasons ever, a big gift and hope for a new era: Bryant's $25-million salary is coming off the books, allowing Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak to go shopping for some free agents with money in his pocket, raising hopes that the team can return to its former glory.

In fact, the Lakers have only seven players under contract next season for a total of $26.3 million. NBA team payrolls will spike to about $90 million thanks to a lucrative new national TV deal, so it's hard not to envision Lakers executives smiling a bit despite the team's worst start since 1957.

The Lakers are a pitiful 2-14 and almost certainly will miss the playoffs for the third consecutive season — a first for the proud franchise. They are about to start an eight-game trip, but the chances are improving that they'll keep their top-three-protected lottery pick next year because of their poor record. And there will be a potential shopping spree next July.

The team must build around its younger starters, point guard D'Angelo Russell, 19, forward Julius Randle, 21, and shooting guard Jordan Clarkson, 23. The rebuilding plan also includes landing some key free agents.

Whether any free agents take the Lakers' money is another story. They struck out on the last six big-name free agents they pursued: Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, Carmelo Anthony, LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Monroe and DeAndre Jordan.

It's not clear what kept those stars away. Maybe they didn't want to play with an aging Bryant, or maybe they didn't want to join a team coming off so few victories. For whatever reason, even the Lakers' vastly successful tradition didn't bring them in.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-kobe-bryant-lakers-20151201-story.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject:

Pau Gasol Recognizes Kobe Bryant as 'One of the Best Ever' Ahead of Retirement
by Sean Highkin - bleacherreport.com

In his foreword to Caron Butler’s recently released memoir, Tuff Juice, Kobe Bryant revealed that over the course of his 20-year career with the Los Angeles Lakers, there have been just four teammates that he considers friends. Butler was one of them, as were Derek Fisher, Ronny Turiaf and, most notably, Pau Gasol.

The Lakers’ midseason trade for Gasol in 2008 radically transformed their fortunes as a franchise, as well as Bryant’s own legacy. Gasol was the missing piece to a talented core—a second star and a perfect complementary player to Bryant. After the trade, the Lakers made the NBA Finals in 2008 and won back-to-back titles the following two seasons.

Since Sunday evening, when Bryant made the announcement that the 2015-16 season will be his last, tributes and memories have poured in from all corners of the NBA—from former teammates, coaches, opponents and even commissioner Adam Silver.

Like most people, Gasol had no heads-up before Bryant’s announcement on the Players’ Tribune. He found out with the rest of the world, but knowing Bryant as well as he did, the news didn’t come as much of a shock.

“I had a feeling that this was probably going to be his last season,” Gasol said Monday evening at his locker at the United Center, before the start of the Chicago Bulls’ game against the San Antonio Spurs. “Just by the way things were going.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2594581-pau-gasol-recognizes-kobe-bryant-as-one-of-the-best-ever-ahead-of-retirement
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Kobe says 'it would be an honor' to remain involved with Lakers once he retires
by Bill Oram - ocregister.com

When Kobe Bryant disusses his plans for post-retirement, basketball is rarely among them. Earlier this season he joked that he is uninterested in coaching because he doesn't "feel like dealing with divas."

But how about a different role?

Before his final game in his native Philadelphia, Bryant told reporters at Wells Fargo Center that it would be “an honor” to remain involved with the Lakers organization in some capacity.

“Me and the Buss family, we grew up together,” Bryant said, via a video stream of his press conference. “(Part-owners and top executives) Jeanie and Jimmy, they’ve known me since I was a kid. It would be an honor to help them with their transition to get them back to the top.”

In a subsequent interview on Time Warner Cable SportsNet, Jeanie Buss said, “I think Kobe can do anything. If that’s something that interests then absolutely I would talk to him about it.

“Not only does he have basketball IQ, but he knows marketing, he knows customer relations, media relations, he can do anything. … It warms my heart that he knows how connected he is to my family.”

Bryant’s comments came hours after Magic Johnson reportedly suggested during a news conference at Dodger Stadium that the 76ers should give Bryant an ownership stake.

Ownership is not something for which Bryant “has had a burning desire to look into too much,” Bryant said.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bryant-694405-kobe-coaching.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 4674

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Kobe says 'it would be an honor' to remain involved with Lakers once he retires
by Bill Oram - ocregister.com

When Kobe Bryant disusses his plans for post-retirement, basketball is rarely among them. Earlier this season he joked that he is uninterested in coaching because he doesn't "feel like dealing with divas."

But how about a different role?

Before his final game in his native Philadelphia, Bryant told reporters at Wells Fargo Center that it would be “an honor” to remain involved with the Lakers organization in some capacity.

“Me and the Buss family, we grew up together,” Bryant said, via a video stream of his press conference. “(Part-owners and top executives) Jeanie and Jimmy, they’ve known me since I was a kid. It would be an honor to help them with their transition to get them back to the top.”

In a subsequent interview on Time Warner Cable SportsNet, Jeanie Buss said, “I think Kobe can do anything. If that’s something that interests then absolutely I would talk to him about it.

“Not only does he have basketball IQ, but he knows marketing, he knows customer relations, media relations, he can do anything. … It warms my heart that he knows how connected he is to my family.”

Bryant’s comments came hours after Magic Johnson reportedly suggested during a news conference at Dodger Stadium that the 76ers should give Bryant an ownership stake.

Ownership is not something for which Bryant “has had a burning desire to look into too much,” Bryant said.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bryant-694405-kobe-coaching.html
Curious that a lifelong legendary Laker would tell another lifelong legendary Laker to seek ownership stake in another franchise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject:

Lakers could retire Kobe’s jersey number as early as next season
by Mark Medina - insidesocal.com

Kobe Bryant suddenly has a good problem to have. It’s far less serious than the Lakers’ persistent losing, or Bryant’s endless shooting inaccuracy.

Does Bryant have a preference on the Lakers retiring his No. 8 or No. 24 jersey?

“Not really,” Bryant laughed.

Well, it could happen soon.

The Lakers have had conversations in the past on which of Bryant’s jersey numbers they will retire, and they plan to have more discussions on that issue, according to a team source.

When the Lakers would retire Bryant’s jersey also remains undetermined. But that could happen as early as next season instead of waiting for the requisite five-year grace period before Bryant would enter the Hall as a first-ballot inductee, the team source added.

The Lakers retired jerseys for Magic Johnson, Jerry West, Kareem-Abdul-Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor, Gail Goodrich, James Worthy and Jamaal Wilkes at varying times after they had already been inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. But the Lakers do not hold that honor as a requirement before retiring a jersey. For example, the Lakers retired Shaquille O’Neal’s No. 34 jersey on April, 2, 2013, though he does not become eligible for a Hall of Fame induction until 2017.

As for Bryant, former Lakers Magic Johnson told reporters at a Dodgers press conference that he’s “going to have the next statue and the next jersey up.”

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2015/12/01/lakers-could-retire-kobe-bryants-jersey-number-as-early-as-next-season/#more-29757
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject:

Magic Johnson criticizes Lakers' Jim Buss, says he needs help to be great owner
by Mike Bresnahan and Bill Shaikin

You never know what Magic Johnson is going to say.

But you always know he wants the Lakers to win. Badly.

The minority owner of the Dodgers criticized one of the Lakers' owners Tuesday, and it wasn't the first time.

"I'm going to say it again: I love Jim Buss. He should just be the owner, like his dad was just the owner," Johnson said. "Let's go back with facts, so I can back this up with facts: 27 wins a couple years ago, 21 wins last year. Three summers now, we haven't signed anybody. I am backing this up with facts. We haven't signed any superstar. We've had cap space. We had cap space last summer. We're going to have more this summer."

Jim Buss is one of six family members who inherited a majority share of the Lakers in 2013. He is also the team's vice president of basketball operations.

Johnson, who led the Lakers to five championships as a player, was speaking after the Dodgers' introductory news conference for new Manager Dave Roberts.

"You've got to get somebody to help [Buss] out," said Johnson, an unpaid Lakers vice president. "Just play your role. There's nothing wrong with being a great owner.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-report-20151202-story.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Jun 2005
Posts: 11163

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Magic Johnson criticizes Lakers' Jim Buss, says he needs help to be great owner
by Mike Bresnahan and Bill Shaikin

You never know what Magic Johnson is going to say.

But you always know he wants the Lakers to win. Badly.

The minority owner of the Dodgers criticized one of the Lakers' owners Tuesday, and it wasn't the first time.

"I'm going to say it again: I love Jim Buss. He should just be the owner, like his dad was just the owner," Johnson said. "Let's go back with facts, so I can back this up with facts: 27 wins a couple years ago, 21 wins last year. Three summers now, we haven't signed anybody. I am backing this up with facts. We haven't signed any superstar. We've had cap space. We had cap space last summer. We're going to have more this summer."

Jim Buss is one of six family members who inherited a majority share of the Lakers in 2013. He is also the team's vice president of basketball operations.

Johnson, who led the Lakers to five championships as a player, was speaking after the Dodgers' introductory news conference for new Manager Dave Roberts.

"You've got to get somebody to help [Buss] out," said Johnson, an unpaid Lakers vice president. "Just play your role. There's nothing wrong with being a great owner.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-report-20151202-story.html


Hey Magic, the worst thing Buss did was hire Byron.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 17958

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
Magic Johnson criticizes Lakers' Jim Buss, says he needs help to be great owner
by Mike Bresnahan and Bill Shaikin

You never know what Magic Johnson is going to say.

But you always know he wants the Lakers to win. Badly.

The minority owner of the Dodgers criticized one of the Lakers' owners Tuesday, and it wasn't the first time.

"I'm going to say it again: I love Jim Buss. He should just be the owner, like his dad was just the owner," Johnson said. "Let's go back with facts, so I can back this up with facts: 27 wins a couple years ago, 21 wins last year. Three summers now, we haven't signed anybody. I am backing this up with facts. We haven't signed any superstar. We've had cap space. We had cap space last summer. We're going to have more this summer."

Jim Buss is one of six family members who inherited a majority share of the Lakers in 2013. He is also the team's vice president of basketball operations.

Johnson, who led the Lakers to five championships as a player, was speaking after the Dodgers' introductory news conference for new Manager Dave Roberts.

"You've got to get somebody to help [Buss] out," said Johnson, an unpaid Lakers vice president. "Just play your role. There's nothing wrong with being a great owner.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-report-20151202-story.html


Hey Magic, the worst thing Buss did was hire Byron.

Byron was hired to placate Kobe (thanks Bard207 for the correction ). The Lakers knew it would be Kobe's final 2 seasons. They wanted a "yes man" coach for him - Enter Byron Scott, the TANK Commander. "You go as Kobe goes"
_________________
New Beginings


Last edited by LakersMDGurl on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
danzag
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Posts: 8969
Location: Brazil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Magic Johnson criticizes Lakers' Jim Buss, says he needs help to be great owner
by Mike Bresnahan and Bill Shaikin

You never know what Magic Johnson is going to say.

But you always know he wants the Lakers to win. Badly.

The minority owner of the Dodgers criticized one of the Lakers' owners Tuesday, and it wasn't the first time.

"I'm going to say it again: I love Jim Buss. He should just be the owner, like his dad was just the owner," Johnson said. "Let's go back with facts, so I can back this up with facts: 27 wins a couple years ago, 21 wins last year. Three summers now, we haven't signed anybody. I am backing this up with facts. We haven't signed any superstar. We've had cap space. We had cap space last summer. We're going to have more this summer."

Jim Buss is one of six family members who inherited a majority share of the Lakers in 2013. He is also the team's vice president of basketball operations.

Johnson, who led the Lakers to five championships as a player, was speaking after the Dodgers' introductory news conference for new Manager Dave Roberts.

"You've got to get somebody to help [Buss] out," said Johnson, an unpaid Lakers vice president. "Just play your role. There's nothing wrong with being a great owner.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-report-20151202-story.html


What about critizing Byron Scott, the worst coach the Lakers ever had?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jul 2002
Posts: 5578
Location: searching for the mojo of Dr. Buss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject:

Who hired Jim though... and Mike Brown and MDA (although i think MDA is a good coach who got a raw deal). That's not on Magic as much as i don't like the Magic post playing career.
_________________
"He may say it's not you, it's him.... but it's really you."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
driver
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Dec 2010
Posts: 6771

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
Magic Johnson criticizes Lakers' Jim Buss, says he needs help to be great owner
by Mike Bresnahan and Bill Shaikin

You never know what Magic Johnson is going to say.

But you always know he wants the Lakers to win. Badly.

The minority owner of the Dodgers criticized one of the Lakers' owners Tuesday, and it wasn't the first time.

"I'm going to say it again: I love Jim Buss. He should just be the owner, like his dad was just the owner," Johnson said. "Let's go back with facts, so I can back this up with facts: 27 wins a couple years ago, 21 wins last year. Three summers now, we haven't signed anybody. I am backing this up with facts. We haven't signed any superstar. We've had cap space. We had cap space last summer. We're going to have more this summer."

Jim Buss is one of six family members who inherited a majority share of the Lakers in 2013. He is also the team's vice president of basketball operations.

Johnson, who led the Lakers to five championships as a player, was speaking after the Dodgers' introductory news conference for new Manager Dave Roberts.

"You've got to get somebody to help [Buss] out," said Johnson, an unpaid Lakers vice president. "Just play your role. There's nothing wrong with being a great owner.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-report-20151202-story.html


Hey Magic, the worst thing Buss did was hire Byron.


It's possible at this point, he's indirectly saying that without hurting Byron's feelings. Even Worthy has begun to turn and he's still trying to handle his words carefully.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Laker_Town
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 22402

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject:

So we gonna start with that crap again magic? Any comment on your boy?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
55
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 10775

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject:

I thought Mitch was the help. In a way, Magic is criticizing Mitch as well by saying that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject:

'Extremely unlikely' Lakers fire Byron Scott, seen as 'innocent bystander' in Kobe Bryant farewell tour
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

The Los Angeles Lakers may have hit a new season low with their loss to the Philadelphia 76ers, but they don't plan on making a head coaching change time any time soon, reports Sam Amick of USA TODAY Sports. Scott is viewed as an "innocent bystander" as Kobe Bryant struggles through his final season and it's "extremely unlikely" the Lakers make a head coaching switch midseason, according to an anonymous source that spoke with Amick.

The Lakers sit at 2-15 on the season and are currently on a seven-game losing streak, hitting a new low as they opened an eight-game road trip. Amick points to there still being a chance the Lakers soften their stance on sticking with Scott should the losing streak get out of hand, but it appears the front office is essentially handing Scott a pardon for any results during a season that is very important to the start of their rebuilding process.

These paragraphs from Amick are the most telling in his report on the front office's view of Scott, who "wont be held responsible" for the horrendous season transpiring for the Lakers:

While there's a never-say-never qualifier to the notion that coach Byron Scott could be replaced midseason, it appears for now that he won't be held responsible for either the dreadful record or the fruitless way in which Bryant continues to play. The coaching component, it should be noted, could always change if this losing streak (currently seven games) grew too big to bear.

The strong sense, however, is that Scott is seen largely as an innocent bystander in Bryant's bon voyage campaign. Scott signed a four-year, $17 million deal in July 2014 to reunite with his former teammate, but the contract is only guaranteed through next season.


http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/12/2/9835186/la-lakers-byron-scott-safe-not-fired-kobe-bryant-news
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
P.K.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2003
Posts: 18386

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
'Extremely unlikely' Lakers fire Byron Scott, seen as 'innocent bystander' in Kobe Bryant farewell tour
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

The Los Angeles Lakers may have hit a new season low with their loss to the Philadelphia 76ers, but they don't plan on making a head coaching change time any time soon, reports Sam Amick of USA TODAY Sports. Scott is viewed as an "innocent bystander" as Kobe Bryant struggles through his final season and it's "extremely unlikely" the Lakers make a head coaching switch midseason, according to an anonymous source that spoke with Amick.

The Lakers sit at 2-15 on the season and are currently on a seven-game losing streak, hitting a new low as they opened an eight-game road trip. Amick points to there still being a chance the Lakers soften their stance on sticking with Scott should the losing streak get out of hand, but it appears the front office is essentially handing Scott a pardon for any results during a season that is very important to the start of their rebuilding process.

These paragraphs from Amick are the most telling in his report on the front office's view of Scott, who "wont be held responsible" for the horrendous season transpiring for the Lakers:

While there's a never-say-never qualifier to the notion that coach Byron Scott could be replaced midseason, it appears for now that he won't be held responsible for either the dreadful record or the fruitless way in which Bryant continues to play. The coaching component, it should be noted, could always change if this losing streak (currently seven games) grew too big to bear.

The strong sense, however, is that Scott is seen largely as an innocent bystander in Bryant's bon voyage campaign. Scott signed a four-year, $17 million deal in July 2014 to reunite with his former teammate, but the contract is only guaranteed through next season.


Okay, that's this year's excuse
what was the excuse for last year?
_________________
BI, DLo, Zu: future core
Never argue with a fool - listeners can't tell you apart
Wilt's unstoppable fadeaway: www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O9MgNfcGJA
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 16331

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
'Extremely unlikely' Lakers fire Byron Scott, seen as 'innocent bystander' in Kobe Bryant farewell tour
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

The Los Angeles Lakers may have hit a new season low with their loss to the Philadelphia 76ers, but they don't plan on making a head coaching change time any time soon, reports Sam Amick of USA TODAY Sports. Scott is viewed as an "innocent bystander" as Kobe Bryant struggles through his final season and it's "extremely unlikely" the Lakers make a head coaching switch midseason, according to an anonymous source that spoke with Amick.

The Lakers sit at 2-15 on the season and are currently on a seven-game losing streak, hitting a new low as they opened an eight-game road trip. Amick points to there still being a chance the Lakers soften their stance on sticking with Scott should the losing streak get out of hand, but it appears the front office is essentially handing Scott a pardon for any results during a season that is very important to the start of their rebuilding process.

These paragraphs from Amick are the most telling in his report on the front office's view of Scott, who "wont be held responsible" for the horrendous season transpiring for the Lakers:

While there's a never-say-never qualifier to the notion that coach Byron Scott could be replaced midseason, it appears for now that he won't be held responsible for either the dreadful record or the fruitless way in which Bryant continues to play. The coaching component, it should be noted, could always change if this losing streak (currently seven games) grew too big to bear.

The strong sense, however, is that Scott is seen largely as an innocent bystander in Bryant's bon voyage campaign. Scott signed a four-year, $17 million deal in July 2014 to reunite with his former teammate, but the contract is only guaranteed through next season.


Okay, that's this year's excuse
what was the excuse for last year?


And I love how it says they'd consider a coaching change if the losing streak becomes too big to bear.

Uhhh. We're 2-15 and have lost 7 straight. It doesn't get significantly worse than that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TDRock
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 9471
Location: LA to the Bay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject:

So then they're saying Byron isn't a head coach. The HC's job is to control a situation, not idly stand by and watch. DLo, Randle, etc. as well as Lakers fans would be the innocent bystanders of this shamockery... More excuses and putting words together that don't make sense, in an attempt to deflect...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
danzag
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Posts: 8969
Location: Brazil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Innocent bystander? That's the fans, who've been watching this SH*T every freaking night.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Posts: 5036

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
'Extremely unlikely' Lakers fire Byron Scott, seen as 'innocent bystander' in Kobe Bryant farewell tour
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

The Los Angeles Lakers may have hit a new season low with their loss to the Philadelphia 76ers, but they don't plan on making a head coaching change time any time soon, reports Sam Amick of USA TODAY Sports. Scott is viewed as an "innocent bystander" as Kobe Bryant struggles through his final season and it's "extremely unlikely" the Lakers make a head coaching switch midseason, according to an anonymous source that spoke with Amick.

The Lakers sit at 2-15 on the season and are currently on a seven-game losing streak, hitting a new low as they opened an eight-game road trip. Amick points to there still being a chance the Lakers soften their stance on sticking with Scott should the losing streak get out of hand, but it appears the front office is essentially handing Scott a pardon for any results during a season that is very important to the start of their rebuilding process.

These paragraphs from Amick are the most telling in his report on the front office's view of Scott, who "wont be held responsible" for the horrendous season transpiring for the Lakers:

While there's a never-say-never qualifier to the notion that coach Byron Scott could be replaced midseason, it appears for now that he won't be held responsible for either the dreadful record or the fruitless way in which Bryant continues to play. The coaching component, it should be noted, could always change if this losing streak (currently seven games) grew too big to bear.

The strong sense, however, is that Scott is seen largely as an innocent bystander in Bryant's bon voyage campaign. Scott signed a four-year, $17 million deal in July 2014 to reunite with his former teammate, but the contract is only guaranteed through next season.


http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/12/2/9835186/la-lakers-byron-scott-safe-not-fired-kobe-bryant-news


Wow what a cop out. How about grow a set and take control of the situation.
_________________
"We are the goodest." - Shaq ESPN interview
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject:

The young Lakers were excited to watch Kobe Bryant's clutch finish against the Wizards
by Harrison Faigen - silverscreenandroll.com

Literal kids in a figurative candy store.

D'Angelo Russell may not have played a second in the Lakers close win over the Washington Wizards on Wednesday night, but the young point guard could not have sounded less bothered by that fact after the game. "I was a fan. Just to get to really witness it and see it in person." Russell said after the game, as captured by Serena Winters of Lakers Nation. " The second overall pick in the 2015 Draft was in awe of the effect Bryant had on the road crowd. "Man he makes it feel like it's a home environment," Russell said, a sentiment Jordan Clarkson shared with Mike Trudell when interviewed on Time Warner Cable Sportsnet before the game.

"It's a little emotional, most of the time we're coming in here it's almost like a home game for us, these arenas are sold out, filled with Lakers fans." Clarkson said. "It makes you want to go out there and play much harder and hopefully get a win, but at the same time we have to forget about it and just go out and compete. We are doing this for him and also for the organization, just trying to get wins."

Anthony Brown was less impressed with the affect on the arena than the throwback clutch performance from Bryant:

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/12/2/9839366/la-lakers-kobe-bryant-clutch-wizards-dangelo-russell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject:

TDIKH: December 3, 2000
by nba.com

It was an early duel between future Hall of Famers, as Kobe Bryant barely bested Dirk Nowitzki at Staples Center.

Bryant erupted for 38 points on 15-of-28 shooting, while Nowitzki countered with 25 points and 11 rebounds, while the Lakers squeezed out a 99-97 victory.

Shaquille O’Neal provided 25 points and 14 rebounds, but was also part of the reason for Dallas’ near-comeback, as he went just 5-of-19 at the free throw line.

In fact, the Lakers led 83-71 midway through the fourth quarter when Dallas ran off 11 unanswered points. The Mavericks kept their deficit to one with 1:50 left, but L.A. never surrendered its advantage.

From there, Bryant — who poured in 12 points in the final period — scored the Lakers’ next six points to hold off the Mavs.

Dallas actually outshot the Lakers, 50.0 percent to 44.0, but L.A. enjoyed a 21-9 advantage in offensive rebounds.

Bryant did more than just score, as he also provided 10 rebounds and six assists.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/tdikh/1203
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB