Lakers in the News 11/30/15 - 12/06/15: Jordan Clarkson Says He Was ‘Playing Selfish’ In Loss To Pistons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbrawler
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
Kobe's biggest regret might be 2004 Finals
by Mike Bresnahan - latimes.com

To know Kobe Bryant is to understand one thing. He patterned his basketball career after Michael Jordan, with one major exception — he wanted to top Jordan in everything, primarily NBA championships.

It looked good for Bryant after the Lakers won a second consecutive title in 2010. He had five rings at age 31, with help that year from Pau Gasol's finesse, Lamar Odom's versatility, Derek Fisher's tranquillity and Metta World Peace's toughness.

A sixth never came for Bryant. He'll finish with one fewer championship than Jordan.

He says he's OK with it now, seemingly resigned to coming up a little short.

"Listen, I worked as hard as I [expletive] possibly could. I did everything I could," Bryant said Saturday. "I'm fine with that."

He says it calmly, not with eyes ablaze. There's nothing left to prove.

It doesn't, however, mean Bryant has forgotten the NBA Finals he lost.

There was the 39-point demolition the Boston Celtics handed the Lakers in the clinching Game 6 of the 2008 Finals. More on that later this month, when Bryant visits TD Garden for the final time.

There was also that unsettling loss to the Detroit Pistons in the 2004 Finals, a five-game series that easily could have been a sweep. It's a theme Bryant would rather forget as he makes his last trip to the Palace for Sunday's game.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-report-20151206-story.html

No question about it.
One of the shadiest Finals, until 2006 which should have been embarrassing to the league. The Celtics in 2008 was pretty bad also, but by then we were used to this. I never noticed it so strongly until 2004.

not 4peat, but cost that group a 4th ring.
it cost Shaq the 4peat, and his exit.
cost Payton/Malone a ring.
Billups is a joke.
Wallace was praised, and to this day, is NOT given enough credit for instigating the brawl (always considered a "gentle giant" BS). Artest took the brunt of that whole thing.
Just a free throw joke of a championship.
Wasted 0.4
Malone would not have helped, in Bryant's opinion.

"I don't think it would have made much of a difference," Bryant said. "We didn't know how to run the offense. We didn't understand when to backdoor step, when to run a blind pig, when to run a reverse action.… We didn't understand any of that.

"Throughout the year, we weren't religious about how we executed our offense. We tried to rely on talent a lot more than the offense itself. We managed to pull a rabbit out of a hat and beat San Antonio. We were down 0-2 [in the conference semifinals]. But it caught up to us."

Thank you Kobe! I always found it comical how many around here think 40 yr old past his prime Malone was a 3 game swing in that series. We were beat easily 1 to 4. I can understand if the series was 3-3 and we lost cause we didn't have Malone. I could understand how he might have been a 1 game swing. But 3 games? I always said if Laker fans believe that, then they should be ashamed of the two guys who is supposed to be the most dominant duo in NBA history. That a championship series was in the hands of a 40 yr old Malone.

Even though Kobe won the only game for the Lakers, he was terrible the entire series. That was his worst finals ever. And from Kobe's quote, it doesn't seem like PJ did much coaching. The Pistons were simply better.
With all the bashing that Byron has received and the unquestioned reputation of the Zen Mastee being perfect - especially in the playoffs, interesting to read about criticism of his coaching (something I saw during his tenure

It's also interesting to speculate what would have happened if we had won three more games. Shaq may have stayed, this changes the whole course. Do they win 2 more and get to six? If Shaq stays, does Kobe's legacy change to a sidekick? Does Kobe stay a laker? While the series may be his greatest regret, it also may have been a key to his ascent up the Lakers power ladder.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject:

Jerry West ‘Conflicted’ About Kobe Bryant’s Retirement
by Serena Winters - lakersnation.com

Kobe Bryant caught many by surprise when he announced that he would be retiring at the end of the 2015-16 season, prior to the Los Angeles Lakers vs. Indiana Pacers game last Sunday, via a poem he penned for The Players’ Tribune. Over the past several days, there has been an outpouring of support and acknowledgment for his immense success from dozens of current and former NBA players.

This week, NBA Hall of Famer Jerry West joined the Dan Patrick Show to talk about his reaction to the news.

“I’m very conflicted,” West said when asked if he was in a way relieved upon hearing Bryant’s announcement. “I don’t like to watch him play this way, I really don’t. I want him to be remembered for what he is. He was an absolute incredibly great player. He wasn’t great. He was incredibly great. And, to watch him now, it’s hard for me to imagine, knowing him, and I’ve had very little contact with him in the last eight years, very little, but watching him right now, as much as he likes to win and playing with a team that frankly is not capable of winning at a high level, I’m conflicted about that. I don’t know how he goes to bed at night, knowing how much he loves to win.”

West, of course, is largely credited with acquiring the 17-year-old Kobe Bryant in the 1996 NBA Draft, via a trade that sent center Vlade Divac to the Charlotte Hornets in exchange for Bryant’s draft rights. That day, West told the late Dr. Buss, that they just got the best player in the draft.

Since then, Bryant has won five championships with the Lakers, including two NBA Finals MVPs, and dozens of accolades that include 17X NBA All-Star and Lakers all-time leading scorer.

Unfortunately, the final years of Bryant’s career won’t be remembered by championships or even playoff berths. In fact, coming off the their worst season in franchise history, the Lakers have now started the 2015-16 season, just 3-16. West hopes Bryant’s remembered for all that he’s accomplished, rather than their record in the final season of his career.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-jerry-west-conflicted-about-kobe-bryants-retirement/2015/12/05/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Jordan Clarkson Says He Was ‘Playing Selfish’ In Loss To Pistons
by Ryan Ward - lakersnation.com

The most consistent player on the Los Angeles Lakers during the 2015-16 NBA season thus far has been Jordan Clarkson.

The second-year guard out of Missouri hasn’t missed a beat since his impressive rookie campaign but was hard on himself after the loss to the Detroit Pistons on Sunday night.

After the loss to the Pistons at The Palace of Auburn Hills, Clarkson spoke to the media about his uncharacteristically poor play. Clarkson blamed himself for playing a selfish style of basketball in the loss to Detroit via Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times:

Jordan Clarkson is not happy with his game. "I missed shots today because I was playing selfish...taking shots that I don't usually take."

Clarkson finished with seven points on 3-for-11 shooting. The 23-year-old added three rebounds, an assist and a steal in his 30 minutes on the floor. This was only the fourth time this season Clarkson has failed to reach double-digit in the scoring column.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-jordan-clarkson-says-he-was-playing-selfish-in-loss-to-pistons/2015/12/06/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Byron Scott blames Kobe's bad shooting on illness instead of bad shooting
by Harrison Faigen - silverscreenandroll.com

The Lakers coach has some interesting reasoning for Kobe's struggles against the Detroit Pistons.

The Los Angeles Lakers lost to the Detroit Pistons 111-91 on Sunday afternoon for the team's 17th loss in 20 games, and Kobe Bryant had one of his worst games of the year. Bryant scored just 5 points, missing 13 of his 15 field goal attempts while suffering from a stomach virus that caused him to end his night early after playing all 12 minutes of the Lakers' third quarter.

Bryant was a game-time decision, and Lakers head coach Byron Scott told Mark Medina of the L.A. Daily News that he was unsure if Kobe would play less than an hour and a half before the Lakers tipped off. However, Scott left the decision of whether Bryant would play up to the man himself, and Kobe decided to play because it would be his last chance to do so in Detroit. Given that the Lakers have little chance of making a hoped for playoff run due to their moribund record, Scott was asked why he let an ill Bryant play after the game:

Why not sit Kobe? Byron: "That was going to be totally up to him." Byron said he told Kobe to value health more than making venue fans happy

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/12/6/9859578/la-lakers-kobe-bryant-bad-shooting-byron-scott
Travers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

The most consistent player on the Los Angeles Lakers during the 2015-16 NBA season thus far has been Jordan Clarkson.

The second-year guard out of Missouri hasn’t missed a beat since his impressive rookie campaign but was hard on himself after the loss to the Detroit Pistons on Sunday night.

After the loss to the Pistons at The Palace of Auburn Hills, Clarkson spoke to the media about his uncharacteristically poor play. Clarkson blamed himself for playing a selfish style of basketball in the loss to Detroit via Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times:

Jordan Clarkson is not happy with his game. "I missed shots today because I was playing selfish...taking shots that I don't usually take."

Clarkson finished with seven points on 3-for-11 shooting. The 23-year-old added three rebounds, an assist and a steal in his 30 minutes on the floor. This was only the fourth time this season Clarkson has failed to reach double-digit in the scoring column.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-jordan-clarkson-says-he-was-playing-selfish-in-loss-to-pistons/2015/12/06/

JC hinted that the problem of team's struggling is playing selfish.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Travers wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

He didn't hint anything. He said he played selfishly today.
And several players have been playing selfishly at various times during the season.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
Travers wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

And several players have been playing selfishly at various times during the season.

And who would be the one to set the tone for selfish or unselfish play? Hmm....... maybe I should just fold my arms, man up and really think about it.

Bye.
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
SweetP wrote:
Travers wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

And who would be the one to set the tone for selfish or unselfish play? Hmm....... maybe I should just fold my arms, man up and really think about it.

Bye.

In the foxhole you go!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: