Lillard vs Curry: I prefer Lillard?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
I would expect people to say Curry is better than prime Kobe if Curry wins it this year and wins the Finals MVP. Kobe haters will probably put up a list like this (and argue that as Curry continues his career he will accomplish a lot more and blow Kobe away):

MVPs: Curry 2, Kobe 1 (just saw a report that Curry is winning it this year)

70 win seasons: Curry 1, Kobe 0

65 win seasons: Curry 2, Kobe 1

Finals MVP: Curry 0, Kobe 2

Rings as "the man": Curry 2, Kobe 2 (I've seen several people dismiss the rings with Shaq)

Then we'll also see trollish comments like Kobe was a ballhog, Kobe chased Shaq away, Curry is more of a team player and more likeable, etc.

fixed. Iggy won finals mvp last year. Curry played like (bleep).

You do realize that Curry averaged 26/6/5 in the Finals, right?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
I would expect people to say Curry is better than prime Kobe if Curry wins it this year and wins the Finals MVP. Kobe haters will probably put up a list like this (and argue that as Curry continues his career he will accomplish a lot more and blow Kobe away):

Rings as "the man": Curry 2, Kobe 2 (I've seen several people dismiss the rings with Shaq)

Then we'll also see trollish comments like Kobe was a ballhog, Kobe chased Shaq away, Curry is more of a team player and more likeable, etc.

The NBA was desperate to give the MVP to Lebron but knew they couldn't legitimetly do it so they gave it to the guy who held him to 30 a game. It was pretty ridiculous that the NBA did that.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

The NBA was desperate to give the MVP to Lebron but knew they couldn't legitimetly do it so they gave it to the guy who held him to 30 a game. It was pretty ridiculous that the NBA did that.

I think it was more that the sportswriters who voted (not the NBA) to gave the award to the guy on the winning team who held LeBron to a low shooting percentage.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:

Kobe had two 65-win seasons. 2000 and 2009.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
still overated and overhyped. but that was a high moment and amazing game for him..

If anything, I don't know if people really understand how good this guy is. I actually put the DVR in slow-mo to watch the dribbling exhibition he put on before that dish to Green for the OT dunk.

I don't know if I've seen a ball-handler that good. Even if he were just an average shooter he'd still be really, really good.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
still overated and overhyped. but that was a high moment and amazing game for him..

Irrational hate brings out the worst in people.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Irrational hate brings out the worst in people.

He just thinks any praise given to Curry is somehow praise that is stolen from Kobe. Weird, but true.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

True but Kobe wasn't "the man" when Shaq won the MVP in 2000. I've seen many comments from other fans who dismiss much of what Kobe accomplished because they think Shaq was #1 and Kobe was #2 on those teams. So they would say Curry LED his team to 2 65 win seasons, and Kobe only did that once.

On this forum the comments are as biased in favor of Kobe as any you'll ever see so I think it's interesting to see what other fans think.

And Kobe clearly was the #2 in 2000. After that year the gap between him and Shaq got closer.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

True but Kobe wasn't "the man" when Shaq won the MVP in 2000. I've seen many comments from other fans who dismiss much of what Kobe accomplished because they think Shaq was #1 and Kobe was #2 on those teams. So they would say Curry LED his team to 2 65 win seasons, and Kobe only did that once.

On this forum the comments are as biased in favor of Kobe as any you'll ever see so I think it's interesting to see what other fans think.

And Kobe clearly was the #2 in 2000. After that year the gap between him and Shaq got closer.

you guys are throwing a lot of numbers around as if you are trying to prove scientifically who is number 1 and 2 on a team. you realize no amound of formulizing and number throwing will tell you that? shaq did most of the offensive damage in those years, sure. and he was the overt leader. so in that sense kobe took a backseat. but against certain teams and individual games and playoff situations, kobe was definitely more of the leader. so it's fluid, dynamic like that. vs the spurs and portland, kobe had to do more. vs sac and indiana, shaq got to do more. it's the situation.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Yup. At 44% and 38% from 3pt. Game 2, he shot 21% and in game 6, he shot 44%. Ok, maybe "played like (bleep)" is a bit harsh but, he was not consistent. Hell, they almost gave Lebron the MVP and I would've been okay with it. And, I NEVER liked Lebron.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Yup. At 44% and 38% from 3pt. Game 2, he shot 21% and in game 6, he shot 44%. Ok, maybe "played like (bleep)" is a bit harsh but, he was not consistent. Hell, they almost gave Lebron the MVP and I would've been okay with it. And, I NEVER liked Lebron.

Curry had one really bad game in the series, game 2, which tanked his overall averages. But apart from that he played well. Yes he shot so so in game 6 but he also had something like 6 rebounds, 8 assists and 3 steals. I don't think he would have made an unreasonably finals mvp
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

you guys are throwing a lot of numbers around as if you are trying to prove scientifically who is number 1 and 2 on a team. you realize no amound of formulizing and number throwing will tell you that? shaq did most of the offensive damage in those years, sure. and he was the overt leader. so in that sense kobe took a backseat. but against certain teams and individual games and playoff situations, kobe was definitely more of the leader. so it's fluid, dynamic like that. vs the spurs and portland, kobe had to do more. vs sac and indiana, shaq got to do more. it's the situation.

I love when people try to take accomplishments away from Kobe because he played with Shaq.

Let's take away steph's since he's played with Klay Thompson and Draymond Green It makes no sense. Don't penalize people for their teammates smh

Without Curry having ankle issues early on, they wouldn't have been able to even afford the team they have now. None of that matters though. The more he wins, you just say congrats and tip your hat. People shouldn't try to diminish Steph, and they certainly shouldn't try to diminish Kobe
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject:

no one is taking anything away. stop saying that whenever there is anything slightly negative said about curry.

some people don't think he is better than the top 10 players ever.

stop taking things away from lillard just because he doesn't play with team usa.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject:

kobe and steph are different.

we're saying this about curry after he's been in the league for a while. Nobody was saying curry was the best ever at anything but shooting 3s in the beginning. now we are saying he is so good he's hacked the game. weird.

when kobe came in the league, there were similar questions. some thought he was great, some thought not. the difference...he was 19 and nobody had seen anything.

in kobe's 7th year, still no one was really calling him the greatest ever of anything. the question was whether he was carrying the MJ torch. And the other candidates were guys who have since faded.

Curry's 7 year, he is all of a sudden the most amazing thing anyone has seen. this screams of overhyping. why? because he won one championship? Kobe had 3 by that time, and he was younger, and was doing a lot more for his team. kobe had shaq, and because of that, nobody was rushing to crown him king. other than shaq, kobe did not have any other top 20 players or even close. different times. but remember that nobody was crowning him king of anything.

kobe's rep was hard fought, it seems.
curry's rep has seemed instant, out of the blue.
again, screams of overhype.

nobody is taking anything away. he still has his ring, team, awards, etc. but once you start comparing him to kobe, that is questionable. for a guy who has had something like two amazing seasons....and the amazing is really just one kind of shot (albeit amazing). what i'm taking away, if anything, is this title of greatest ever at basketball or anything close to that. and i'm not taking it away. he never had it.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject:

Curry will retire the GOAT 3 baller of all time. That's an almost an in the refrigerator prediction, baring some catastrophe.

Curry also is the first guy I believe could top 100 points in a game. Even in Kobe's heyday, I never saw the potential for over 100. Curry, it honestly could be done. He puts up so many points so quickly and has such a quick trigger - he just needs to be hot and have a quick trigger and his teammates have to want to have him get it.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Did you watch the games, and not just the stat lines? Did you know the Warriors plan was to let Lebron get his, while the Cavs plan were to get the ball out of Curry's hands? How do you think Iggy got all those open threes? The trophy Iggy got should have been called "the not effing it up" award. If it goes down like that again this year, Curry gets MVP. He didn't really have that clout yet, and the voters didn't respect Curry like they would a Kobe. You know who could have gotten the 2010 finals MVP if Kobe was new to the scene and didn't have all that clout on his resume? Pau Gasol. But you can't do that to Kobe. They did it to Curry, but they can't this year. If the Cavs double and triple Curry again, then he will get MVP this time without having to score a ton.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Even statistically, 26/6/5 on 58.5 TS% is astounding. And yes, they were intentionally leaving Iguodala unguarded for much of that series. Curry should have won Finals MVP.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
kobe and steph are different.

we're saying this about curry after he's been in the league for a while. Nobody was saying curry was the best ever at anything but shooting 3s in the beginning. now we are saying he is so good he's hacked the game. weird.

It's not weird if you realize he just had a historic season -- he was the first unanimous MVP; he led a team that beat an iconic Bulls record; he shot 3 pointers at a rate no one has before; he put up mind-boggling stats. He epitomizes the current iteration of how the NBA game is played.

If the Warriors win a ring, Curry's season will go down as one of the best ever.

Whether that sticks or not is anyone's guess. Hard to imagine someone's final reputation while they are in the middle of their career. He could decline or he could keep it up, and cruise toward Top 10 of All Time Lane.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Curry had one really bad game in the series, game 2, which tanked his overall averages. But apart from that he played well. Yes he shot so so in game 6 but he also had something like 6 rebounds, 8 assists and 3 steals. I don't think he would have made an unreasonably finals mvp

Not trying to be a hater but aren't those numbers better than Kobe's career averages? Those numbers aren't terrible at all. Its just that Curry and Lebron have set such a high standard in terms of efficiency that people forget that 44 and 38 is pretty good. I mean Lillard is at like 41 and 37 and everyone can admit what a talent he is. I have never seen a player that can do what Curry can do consistently and I have seen Magic, Isaiah, Jordan, Kobe and so on and so forth.

edit: sorry meant to quote the one above you
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
Curry also is the first guy I believe could top 100 points in a game. Even in Kobe's heyday, I never saw the potential for over 100. Curry, it honestly could be done. He puts up so many points so quickly and has such a quick trigger - he just needs to be hot and have a quick trigger and his teammates have to want to have him get it.

No. just no.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: