Lillard vs Curry: I prefer Lillard?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:
The only thing that can prevent Curry from becoming an all-time great is injury. He's really that good. I sense someone deeply wishes Kobe played at this level.

And thats pretty much what kept him sidelined the first couple of seasons. If he was healthy no way the Warriors would be able pay peanuts for his production.

omg, you are trolling me hard...

i sure hope you mean that i wish kobe played at his level NOW. if you are saying kobe has never surpassed this level of play, you are nuts.

Depends on what your standards are. Didn't realize Kobe was a 50/45/95 guy. The only thing Curry doesn't do is dunk a lot, nor does he need to slash or draw a lot of free throws. Crazy part is that Curry is doing much of this while sitting out 4th quarters.

Depending on what you value, you could argue that Curry, to date, is having the best season of any player in NBA history.

The guy is putting up 32-5-6 on 53-46-90 shooting for a 23-0 team.

This has been a season for the ages for Curry and the Warriors. Never seen anything like it. The team doesn't lose, and he launches and makes shots from everywhere on the court.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Lol. The first sentence should have saved you guys from reading the rest. He was forced to post that. By whom??? Lol
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject:

today's game is yet another reason why i might prefer lillard over curry.

If you swap the two, does Lillard do as good? or better? I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised. He's more athletic than Curry. And I also think, individually, he's more intimidating to the defender than Curry. He'll dunk on you, Curry won't. The ending to today's game was, uh, astounding. Curry has been amazing also, but (trying to ignore my disgust at the hype) when i watch Curry, i see 2-3 guys having a significant hand in his shots. Lillard also gets screens and stuff, but it's should be clear that he generates more of the offense himself. This might be because Portland as a team is not as good as the warriors, but that is what is happening.

(ESPN has an article asking if Draymond Green should be an MVP candidate. lol! thought that was funny)

for those that love numbers, i hate to do this...
curry makes about 10/19 shots a game
lillard makes about 8/20 shots a game

lillard doesn't have the gsw offense. he lost aldridge also.
curry is on an offense that is the "best ever" at getting open 3point shots.
end result? 1-2 shots a game difference.

[edit]
I was curious...so I'll add a couple more. Kobe's 2006 season that people are comparing this season of Curry to...
about 12/27 shots a game. this is a bad team with kobe doing everything. given all these things are showing a 1-2 shot difference, I feel like a 4-7 shot difference is a huge deal.

MJ's 37 ppg season:
about 13/28 shots. again, bad team, he is doing everything. man-man defense, no less.

and just for fun, wilt's 50ppg season:
about 20/40 shots a game. lol! crazy. this is probably with guys hanging on his arms.

question:
who scores the most in their respective eras taking the same number of shots as wilt? it ain't curry.
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject:

1. the gsw offence benefits from curry not the other way around.
2. lillard can dunk? so can kwame brown.

OP...please go and play a little basketball for a few years then come
back and apologize to everyone for wasting their time...
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject:

OdomGrab wrote:

wow personal attack. i'm almost positive that i've played more basketball than you.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
OdomGrab wrote:

wow personal attack. i'm almost positive that i've played more basketball than you.

If that's true I pity the people you played with.

Obviously Curry is on another level from Lillard and OP is crazy but we are ignoring the most asinine thing he said in the original post. LEBRON ISNT THAT GREAT. WHAT???? You lost all credibility after that one. Everything else was just frosting on the stupid cake. You can say he isn't the best player in the NBA right now. Ill even accept an argument saying that he has underachieved but he is without a doubt great and in the conversation for best NBA player of the past ten years. Put the pipe down and watch some ball before you post again, for your own sake.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
OdomGrab wrote:

If that's true I pity the people you played with.

Obviously Curry is on another level from Lillard and OP is crazy but we are ignoring the most asinine thing he said in the original post. LEBRON ISNT THAT GREAT. WHAT???? You lost all credibility after that one. Everything else was just frosting on the stupid cake. You can say he isn't the best player in the NBA right now. Ill even accept an argument saying that he has underachieved but he is without a doubt great and in the conversation for best NBA player of the past ten years. Put the pipe down and watch some ball before you post again, for your own sake.

Superbly does love the ISO, tough shot, raise over you, stagnant offense - type stuff. lol
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject:

I'm amazed that you bumped this, but what the heck.

I kind of see where you're coming from on the offensive side. Lillard is a good scorer, and his numbers might look better if he was on a better team. Of course, that isn't automatically true. His numbers were actually worse last year with Aldridge still on the roster. Still, I can sort of see where you're coming from. Lillard is a grittier, more athletic player.

But on the defensive side . . . sheesh. Lillard is just an awful defender, especially this year when he is focusing on scoring. He reminds me more of Kyrie Irving than Kobe or MJ.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Hes just putting down players that are a threat to Kobe's legacy. Its quite pathetic.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject:

If Westbrook wins a chip and finals MVP this year, I'm gonna make a thread entitled Westbrook > Curry .
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
OdomGrab wrote:

I seriously doubt that.
You may have spent more time dribbling a ball but its nothing to me.

I can easily tell who is fundamentally more sound because ever year of my life I have added skills/strength/fitness/knowledge to my own game.

That's why its so easy for me to tell who is a more complete player. Who has more value to a team. Who worked harder on their game. Who has the right attitude towards basketball and who is just plain old better.

OP only a real student can appreciate a good teacher.
Lillard over Curry LOL
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:07 am    Post subject:

OK guys, this is perfect. Both of these games happened this week, within days of each other...perfect timing for a comparison.

Both teams on the verge of a furious 4th quarter comeback. Portland was down way more, in fact IIRC.

Curry:
http://espn.go.com/blog/golden-state-warriors/post/_/id/1143/draymond-green-rests-and-stephen-currys-flurry-cant-keep-warriors-from-third-loss
Makes about 3 really amazing tough threes as well as some nifty drives. I was worried I'd have to acknowledge the Kobe-esque performance. But, at the crucial moment, he does a FOOLISH hot dog dribble and loses the ball and they lose the game. Had he made a 3 instead of the TO right there, that would have been an EPIC moment and I'd have to shut my trap about the greatest ever stuff for at least a month or so. So that was today.

Lillard:

A few days ago, Portland vs OKC...Portland is down by a lot and Lillard just goes off and hits 4 impossible threes in a row or something. And he gets something like 17 points in 3 minutes. It's really quite amazing. So both of these are I guess Kobe-esque moments. Lillard's is more impressive in every way, I think, I'll let the number guys say whatever. Curry's is great, too...but in this comparison I think he falls short. If only the turnover was less embarrassing even, it wouldn't have stnak so much.

[edit] I think it was 5 threes in a row! Lillard is da bomb guys. He's better than Curry.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject:

So forget about all the clutch shots this season and last season Curry has made. Just take these two games to determine Lilliard is better than Curry. LOL

Classic. Everyone in the world knows that if you put Lilliard on the Dubs, they're not 36-3 and probably behind San Antone.

Last edited by doughboy90650 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject:

This thread is just flame bait.

BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
OK guys, this is perfect. Both of these games happened this week, within days of each other...perfect timing for a comparison.

Both teams on the verge of a furious 4th quarter comeback. Portland was down way more, in fact IIRC.

Curry:
http://espn.go.com/blog/golden-state-warriors/post/_/id/1143/draymond-green-rests-and-stephen-currys-flurry-cant-keep-warriors-from-third-loss
Makes about 3 really amazing tough threes as well as some nifty drives. I was worried I'd have to acknowledge the Kobe-esque performance. But, at the crucial moment, he does a FOOLISH hot dog dribble and loses the ball and they lose the game. Had he made a 3 instead of the TO right there, that would have been an EPIC moment and I'd have to shut my trap about the greatest ever stuff for at least a month or so. So that was today.

Lillard:

A few days ago, Portland vs OKC...Portland is down by a lot and Lillard just goes off and hits 4 impossible threes in a row or something. And he gets something like 17 points in 3 minutes. It's really quite amazing. So both of these are I guess Kobe-esque moments. Lillard's is more impressive in every way, I think, I'll let the number guys say whatever. Curry's is great, too...but in this comparison I think he falls short. If only the turnover was less embarrassing even, it wouldn't have stnak so much.

[edit] I think it was 5 threes in a row! Lillard is da bomb guys. He's better than Curry.

You are so desperate to prove your point that you are saying things that are simply not true. Steph has made countless tough shots throughout his career and on way to an MVP and a ring. A play before that turnover he pulled up from about 35 feet and hit a 3 to get the game in reach. That was clutch. Yes that was a foolish turnover but it was also very Kobe-esque in itself. Kobe had the ball in his hands many times at the end of games and often couldn't make the play. He's actually missed more game winning shots in his career than he has made. What makes Kobe, Kobe is the willingness to take the ball in those moments and put the team on his back. Make or miss, turnover or assist he wanted to be the guy responsible for the team and that is exactly what Steph did and has done for the last couple years.
Also, it takes a lot of nerve(and frankly stupidity) to call Curry supporters stats guys. He won the championship last year, not because of stats but because he is an elite player on the court. Your argument is actually with people who call Curry great because his team is great and you think they make him look better. In reality, he makes every single person on his team better when they are on the court with him. The stats, standings, eye test all prove that correct whether you want to believe it or not. Its about time you give up on this argument and understand that Kobe is great and the fact that other players are too is not a knock on Kobe.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't being desparate! Don't you think it's a coincidence these two games just happened a few days apart, that is all? And it so happens Lillard could be argued to have performed better. that is all!

I feel as though what I'm saying is sounding like a personal attack on Curry. I don't know why that is.
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject:

That's like saying Steak vs Tofu: I prefer Tofu?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
I wasn't being desparate! Don't you think it's a coincidence these two games just happened a few days apart, that is all? And it so happens Lillard could be argued to have performed better. that is all!

I feel as though what I'm saying is sounding like a personal attack on Curry. I don't know why that is.

I guess its a coincidence but what does that have to do with what we are discussing. What I'm saying is your analysis of the two games is so off base that you must be attacking Curry. There is no other explanation for your commentary on those games other than you desperately looking for proof to pump up Lillard and take credit away from Curry. When people want to attack Kobe they point at his shooting percentage at the end of games. Its nitpicking to take credit away from Kobe. The same thing you are doing with Steph. As a true Kobe lover you should realize what you are doing as well as anybody.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

I guess its a coincidence but what does that have to do with what we are discussing. What I'm saying is your analysis of the two games is so off base that you must be attacking Curry. There is no other explanation for your commentary on those games other than you desperately looking for proof to pump up Lillard and take credit away from Curry. When people want to attack Kobe they point at his shooting percentage at the end of games. Its nitpicking to take credit away from Kobe. The same thing you are doing with Steph. As a true Kobe lover you should realize what you are doing as well as anybody.

Whatever. There is no secret about where I stand on those issues. Instead of trying to pick apart my mentality about why I do this or that, why not just comment on the subject (which i created) which was to compare lillard and curry. again, no secret that i prefer lillard or whatever it is you are trying to point out.

I'm pumping up lillard because when you overhype a guy like Curry, it takes away from guys who can do similar things. The way people are talking now, the thought of comapring Lillard to Curry is like "What?!! Are you nuts?!' it's almost like Curry is Jordan and Lillard is Ehlo.

Again, not necessary to point it out, it's already obvious.

The point is, they were similar situations a few days apart, with two guys that I already like to compare. And it just so happens that Lillard performed better (and did more with less) and Curry didn't do as well in this specific situation (and did less with more). This doesn't prove Lillard is better, but at least it's something that happened that we can look at and discuss.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Whatever. There is no secret about where I stand on those issues. Instead of trying to pick apart my mentality about why I do this or that, why not just comment on the subject (which i created) which was to compare lillard and curry. again, no secret that i prefer lillard or whatever it is you are trying to point out.

I'm pumping up lillard because when you overhype a guy like Curry, it takes away from guys who can do similar things. The way people are talking now, the thought of comapring Lillard to Curry is like "What?!! Are you nuts?!' it's almost like Curry is Jordan and Lillard is Ehlo.

Again, not necessary to point it out, it's already obvious.

The point is, they were similar situations a few days apart, with two guys that I already like to compare. And it just so happens that Lillard performed better (and did more with less) and Curry didn't do as well in this specific situation (and did less with more). This doesn't prove Lillard is better, but at least it's something that happened that we can look at and discuss.

That is a completely reasonable response.

I'm addressing your mentality out of respect because no intelligent basketball fan would come to the conclusions you are coming to. Maybe it isn't your mentality though.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject:

PurpleAndGOAT wrote:
That's like saying Steak vs Tofu: I prefer Tofu?

Spurs probably would have liked tofu tonight
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject:

lol. come on.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject:

Honda Civic vs. Bugatti Veyron: I prefer Civic?
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lillard vs Curry: I prefer Lillard?

SuperboyReformed wrote:
With all this Curry hype lately, the thing is happening again where I am now forced to say negative things about him even though I think he's great. This is NOT like my disgust of lebron fans, because besides the fans, I just don't think Lebron is that great. Curry is.

Now Lillard. When these guys came in the league, I always thought they were very similar. I personally like Lillard better. He's not the better 3point shooter, but he's not that far. And he's very athletic, clutch, and has a great style. I like that he gets more lift on his jumper than Curry (he's more traditional). To me, this means he's a more versatile shooter. he can jump over guys instead of the herky moves Curry uses to get open (and Lillard can do those as well).

Maybe he's as good or better than Curry, it's possible. But he doesn't have that system.

Comparing him to other highly ranked short guards like:
Curry
Harden
CP3
Westbrook
Wall
Irving

I would prefer Lillard over all those except maybe Curry, and even that is not very convincing for me. I need to study Wall more, I am least familiar with him.

Also, looking at the other players ranked higher than him that aren't really guards, there are a few there that I would flat out just take Lillard over:
Bosh
Horford
Dwight
Butler
Love
Duncan
Kawhi
Griffin
Lebron
^^ all these depend on the circumanstances, like what the team needs. But overall I'm more impressed by Lillard than these guys. There's a little short guy bias there, I suppose.

so yea

You need rehab man. You have got to be on something.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject:

do people realize Curry is doing what he is doing with a very LOW minutes per game (for an all star)?

It's honestly ridiculous, him vs lebron isnt even a comparison this season in my eyes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: