Observations from the Bobcats game...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Observations from the Bobcats game...

I was at the Bobcats game last night...

Short version? Kobe HATES this team, but not without good reason...I don't mean personally...

***Kobe looks like he is FORCED to play with a group of kids from the Special Olympics who just want to be on the floor...Kobe did NOTHING in the timeouts but shake his head and when he sat in the 2nd quarter, I saw him put his head down about 20+ times because of the boneheaded plays...

*LO sat on the bench expressionless...Funny how he tried to get on Luke about a bad pass during a timeout...pot, meet KETTLE!

*Brian Shaw is taking a very active role in coaching...he was one of the most vocal asst. coaches out there...

*Kareem is as cool as the other side of the pillow.

*Bynum can hit the 3. And he has nice form on his J. Kid has ALOT more potential than you see on the court. VERY good footwork but VERY SKINNY...needs more muscle before he can dominate the post. Great B-Ball IQ...VERY YOUNG mentally...he's 18 and it SHOWS. He's not nearly as ready mentally as you would think...you could see it in his mannerisms and he general interactions with Green and Von...

He's not ready.

*Von and Green need to work on consistency in their J. You could see it during the warmups. Both are AMAZING athletes...neither are ready to dominate (or contribute) offensively.

*Cook and Mihm are soft. I know that's not a revelation but I just had to reiterate that...if their shots aren't falling, neither has any use on the court.

*Luke won't be a very good player for us unless we get a post player with a decent back to the basket game...he's most confident feeding the post...he has great court vision but he is a PG in an under-sized PF's body...little offense, little defense...just a passer. If we had a 2nd option, we could live with his contribution as the facilitator...

*Kwame needs a brain transplant...but if we had a REAL PG, Kwame would be the MAN!!!!! When he catches the ball, it's like a DEER caught in the HEADLIGHTS!!!

*Smush has become that UGLY girl you woke up next to this morning who was HOT last night after a few drinks...but in his defense, he plays hard when he's featured (#1) in the offense...

*DG was DG...decent defender who doesn't have the highest basketball IQ...

***Back to Kobe - His body language is getting scary...it looks like he's starting to give up on this team...I don't really blame him but if he does give up, this season could get ugly real quick...

One more thing - nobody on this team knows how to swing the ball to the weakside...nobody picked up on the fact that CHARLOTTE was swarming Kobe and sending 3 people at him when ever LAL THREATENED to pass the ball to Kobe...how long does it take for you to realize that you can cut when your man is cheating???? How about pop out for the open 3?

To sum it all up - this is a bad team...they have Kobe - that's the only reason they are above .500...

I had fun and the new Bobcats Arena is GREAT!!!! Just wish they could have won...
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Kobe looked pretty pissed at the end of the first quarter last night. we should have traded for dirk.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Nice analysis. Kobe's body language started to tell his true feelings about the current roster.

It's Kobe and a bag of nothin'.

I expected Jumaine to have a great game but what he did out there last night made Laker management look like idiots.
Shapecity
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:

To quote Michael Jordan when he was told to make his teammates better. "Get me some better f'n teammates then."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kells1220
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for that. It was funny but sad.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject:

This is troubling. As long as the roster stays the way it is, the Lakers will be fighting for lower playoff seeds. I just don't see Kobe playing with this kind of mediocrity until 2007 or whatever year our current "Plan" is affixed to.
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:

I saw on TV during one timeout right after Sasha missed a WIDE OPEN three, when Kobe was doubled. Kobe yelled at him: "Make a (bleeping) shot!!"

I was frustrated as hell. Kobe was getting doubled, and hitting open men, but NONE could make a shot. Mitch needs to make a trade for a shooter, Somebody that can hit open shots. These scrubs on the Lakers aren't cutting it.
kells1220
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Knowing how competitive Kobe is, he must be pissed off and embarrassed.
mrdectown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject:

MyKRo wrote:
I saw on TV during one timeout right after Sasha missed a WIDE OPEN three, when Kobe was doubled. Kobe yelled at him: "Make a (bleeping) shot!!"

I was frustrated as hell. Kobe was getting doubled, and hitting open men, but NONE could make a shot. Mitch needs to make a trade for a shooter, Somebody that can hit open shots. These scrubs on the Lakers aren't cutting it.

You know i keep hearing this "trade" word when something goes wrong. i am sure mitch is trying but think about it. we wanna trade our sucky players for better ones right? why on god's green earth would the other Gms give up theier shooter for gump or whoever. we had good talent we sent it to charlaotte
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject:

MyKRo wrote:

Yes...he did.

I could hear it and I was on the side facing them, the OTHER side of the court!!!

He was MORE than pissed...he's almost to the point that he doesn't want to play with them...he spends more time YELLING at them to swing the ball than he does actually trying to score...

At this point, LAL is a CBA team...Kobe is good but Kobe has been instructed by Phil to STAY WITHIN THE OFFENSE!!!

I think that they are making a statement to management..."the triangle will NOT work with NBADL players"...

BTW, Turiaf is the man! He was encouraging and upbeat the whole time...he'd be the first person off the bench to greet the guys and the last person to sit down...can't wait til that guy gets on the court...
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Kwame plays like a guard that woke up one day, and found that he had a monstrous growth spurt, and he doesn't know what to do about it...

a bigman exudes confidence, and attempts to dominate the paint... Kwame looks like he wants to apologize, for being a 7 footer.
jmark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:

I agree Ronny will help by just hustling and rebounding. It was a tough ride home last night from Charlotte......
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
This is troubling. As long as the roster stays the way it is, the Lakers will be fighting for lower playoff seeds. I just don't see Kobe playing with this kind of mediocrity until 2007 or whatever year our current "Plan" is affixed to.

As long as the team keeps playing poorly what you say is true. But we've seen this team play better. Above everything else this team has to play defense. But you're right I don't see Kobe puting up with this kind of effort much longer.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Observations from the Bobcats game...

GameCock-MD wrote:
I was at the Bobcats game last night...

Short version? Kobe HATES this team, but not without good reason...I don't mean personally...

***Kobe looks like he is FORCED to play with a group of kids from the Special Olympics who just want to be on the floor...Kobe did NOTHING in the timeouts but shake his head and when he sat in the 2nd quarter, I saw him put his head down about 20+ times because of the boneheaded plays...

*LO sat on the bench expressionless...Funny how he tried to get on Luke about a bad pass during a timeout...pot, meet KETTLE!

*Brian Shaw is taking a very active role in coaching...he was one of the most vocal asst. coaches out there...

*Kareem is as cool as the other side of the pillow.

*Bynum can hit the 3. And he has nice form on his J. Kid has ALOT more potential than you see on the court. VERY good footwork but VERY SKINNY...needs more muscle before he can dominate the post. Great B-Ball IQ...VERY YOUNG mentally...he's 18 and it SHOWS. He's not nearly as ready mentally as you would think...you could see it in his mannerisms and he general interactions with Green and Von...

He's not ready.

*Von and Green need to work on consistency in their J. You could see it during the warmups. Both are AMAZING athletes...neither are ready to dominate (or contribute) offensively.

*Cook and Mihm are soft. I know that's not a revelation but I just had to reiterate that...if their shots aren't falling, neither has any use on the court.

*Luke won't be a very good player for us unless we get a post player with a decent back to the basket game...he's most confident feeding the post...he has great court vision but he is a PG in an under-sized PF's body...little offense, little defense...just a passer. If we had a 2nd option, we could live with his contribution as the facilitator...

*Kwame needs a brain transplant...but if we had a REAL PG, Kwame would be the MAN!!!!! When he catches the ball, it's like a DEER caught in the HEADLIGHTS!!!

*Smush has become that UGLY girl you woke up next to this morning who was HOT last night after a few drinks...but in his defense, he plays hard when he's featured (#1) in the offense...

*DG was DG...decent defender who doesn't have the highest basketball IQ...

***Back to Kobe - His body language is getting scary...it looks like he's starting to give up on this team...I don't really blame him but if he does give up, this season could get ugly real quick...

One more thing - nobody on this team knows how to swing the ball to the weakside...nobody picked up on the fact that CHARLOTTE was swarming Kobe and sending 3 people at him when ever LAL THREATENED to pass the ball to Kobe...how long does it take for you to realize that you can cut when your man is cheating???? How about pop out for the open 3?

To sum it all up - this is a bad team...they have Kobe - that's the only reason they are above .500...

I had fun and the new Bobcats Arena is GREAT!!!! Just wish they could have won...

Thanks for the recap. It sounds like Kobe is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If he plays the "right way," and listens to his coaches, his teammates are just not that good, and this team will probably bee a little below .500. Play the Kobe way, and this team can be about 4-5 games over .500 and most likely 7th, possibly 8th seed, get bounced in the first round for sure. Kobe knows that Phil knows the limits of this team, and thats why Phil doesnt mind kobe going off from time to time. If kobe plays the kobe way, and his shot is just a little off, the media will come crashing down on him. They did this shat at the start of the season when we started off with a decent record. The media was all over Kobe, talking him and Phil up and what a sucess it was. Then Kobe goes cold for 4-5 games and I see Pippen on ESPN talking about how uncoachable Kobe is. I can see how hard it must be for Kobe to actually trust these guys, and how he has to walk this fine line between team player and great player. If he gives in to the team concept this team will definately struggle, and Kobe will catch all the blame and BS from the media. He experienced what that was like last year and Kobe is afraid of that happening again. So the key question for me, is exactly how good can this team really be if Kobe gave in completely to the team concept? We have Phil, who is a great team coach, but is it enough to get us in the playoffs?
kells1220
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:

These guys are lucky they're in the NBA, let alone getting playing time. The least the can do is show some passion and aggression. I say that Kobe should do whatever it takes to win even if it means not passing to his teammates. Really, who is most likely to make a shot Kobe or Luke Walton. Maybe after awhile players will wake up and earn their money. Their paycheck doesn't match their production, after awhile they need to be fired, traded, something.
dadliboi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:

LakersSpirit wrote:
Kwame plays like a guard that woke up one day, and found that he had a monstrous growth spurt, and he doesn't know what to do about it...

a bigman exudes confidence, and attempts to dominate the paint... Kwame looks like he wants to apologize, for being a 7 footer.

That's an interesting way of describing Kwame, and I completely agree. Dude's just messed up mentally.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject:

We've known for a while that the Lakers just aren't very good outside of Kobe. But most nights won't be as bad as last night. Outside of Kobe and Smush, the rest of the Laker shot a dismal 24% from the field last night. I would bet that on most nights they will still hit 40% of their shots, which would have led to a win for us. But with that with that being said, it is still our lack of defense that is killing us.

Jake Speed, 1986
kells1220
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Question: Do you guys think that this years team is better than last season's? I don't mean record wise.
dadliboi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject:

kells1220 wrote:
Question: Do you guys think that this years team is better than last season's? I don't mean record wise.

Personally, I don't think so. If Kwame was contributing more, this team would be much better, but....

Kwame was a risk that I admit, I was ok with personally.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

I think we are better, but not by much. 5 to 7 games better in the end is my guess. Yup- that means 39 to 41 wins, which is where I think we will end up the season. Not enough to make the playoffs.

Jake Speed, 1986
jmfilter
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject:

This team is not as bad as people think. The only thing is at this point I would favor benching smush for his lack of aggressiveness on defense. He threw very lazy passes and does not hustle for the loose balls!
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject:

I saw Lamar actively supporting his teammates.
dadliboi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:
I think we are better, but not by much. 5 to 7 games better in the end is my guess. Yup- that means 39 to 41 wins, which is where I think we will end up the season. Not enough to make the playoffs.

Don't forget that last year we were riddled with injuries. That team last year underachieved.
Supa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject:

I was at the Detroit and Indiana games and when a timeout is called Kobe always goes straight to his spot (the first seat on the bench) and keeps to himself. It seems to be his routine. People have mentioned this before, so I don't think it's because he's upset or anything. But he does get visibly upset when boneheaded play are made (rightfully so, because there's way too many).

I didn't think Bynum was skinny. That's exaggerating a little. He's a pretty big guy. His upper body does need work, but did you see his calves? Wow, those things are impressive.. LOL.. He'll definately get bigger over time as long as he keeps up in the gym.

Some pics I got of Bynum

http://img417.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nba1019al.jpg
http://img472.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nba1029sn.jpg
http://img472.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nba1093qg.jpg
http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nba1101xm.jpg
http://img472.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nba1127zo.jpg
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject:

mrdectown wrote:
MyKRo wrote:

You know i keep hearing this "trade" word when something goes wrong. i am sure mitch is trying but think about it. we wanna trade our sucky players for better ones right? why on god's green earth would the other Gms give up theier shooter for gump or whoever. we had good talent we sent it to charlaotte

we could of had Kapono but Jimmy Buzz nixed the deal. Seems like we always get rid of our good shooters - Rush, JJ, Chucky.....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: