Questions for those who contend Odom is a ROLE PLAYER
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

From what I know, the Lakers will have Bynum, Turiaf and Parker either signed or owning their rights.

Joking right? It's assume the Lakers cap is $45mil by 2007.

Combined salaries of Bryant and Odom is roughly $32mil. by then.

$13mil under the cap for a FA.

... Where's the extra $? Bynum is still on board... bites away at the max. Same for Turiaf and Parker.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject:

^
Mike the cap has already increased to 49. It's expected to increase into the 50's by 2007.

Also, I'm not sure what they plan on doing exactly - but I think on contract would be Bryant, Odom, Bynum, Turiaf (he was signed with a 3 year portion of the half MLE left this season) and Vujacic (if they want).

That amount should tally up to 37 million (Bryant 19, Odom 13, Bynum 2, Vujacic 1.3, Turiaf 0.7). They will also own early bird rights to Smush Parker.

If the cap is around 51-53 (that was what experts calculated to be), the Lakers can sign a Free agent for up to 14 million dollars.

I'm not sure about Smush's status - but I know for a fact that Bynum, Vujacic and Turiaf can all be part of the 2007-2008 roster if the Lakers want to and still have enough room to sign a FA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
Mike the cap has already increased to 49. It's expected to increase into the 50's by 2007.

Also, I'm not sure what they plan on doing exactly - but I think on contract would be Bryant, Odom, Bynum, Turiaf (he was signed with a 3 year portion of the half MLE left this season) and Vujacic (if they want).

That amount should tally up to 37 million (Bryant 19, Odom 13, Bynum 2, Vujacic 1.3, Turiaf 0.7). They will also own early bird rights to Smush Parker.

If the cap is around 51-53 (that was what experts calculated to be), the Lakers can sign a Free agent for up to 14 million dollars.

I'm not sure about Smush's status - but I know for a fact that Bynum, Vujacic and Turiaf can all be part of the 2007-2008 roster if the Lakers want to and still have enough room to sign a FA.

Yep. Read that somewhere else on this site.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike - Here's confirmation for you

The cap for this season is 49.5 million

Quote:
Season Defined percentage of BRI
Actual salary cap
2005-06 49.5%*
$49.5 million ($37.125 million for the Charlotte Bobcats

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#1

You can ask Larry Coon, he would know best (The man is a cap genious and the Lakers need to hire him !!)

But from what I understand, the Lakers can have early bird rights to Smush Parker and keep Bynum, Turiaf and Vujacic on K to go with Bryant and Odom. That's the basic roster they can have to open up space and sign and a FA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Okay wait. Assume it's $50mil. Let's say the Lakers keep Parker at around $3mil.

5 Players. Where's your other 8? No depth. Phoenix Suns minutes I'm assuming?

Not to mention, PJ still has to teach the triangle and may or may not retire by then.

I really hate wasting years for a FA pickup.

As I've said before, no player is worth the franchise "killing time"

What about the draft picks from now until then? Are they going to be kept or traded away? Even if two are kept... you can drop the $13mil max down to $11 by then.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject:

It's not supposed to be 50, Mike. It's assumed that it should be in the early 50's. Some say there's a chance it could go up to the mid-50's.

The greatest thing about the way Mitch has manipulated the cap is that if it rises, the Lakers would have room to sign a free agent in 2007 and 2008.

As for the roster in 2007 - I would think Odom, Bynum, Turiaf, Vujacic and Bryant know the Triangle well enough at that point.

You think Phil won't stick around if he likes the players the Lakers have and believes he can win rings with them? I'm sure he will.

He won a ring his first season running the Tri here with Kobe and Shaq. We went to the Finals in 2004 with Payton and Malone not really comfortable in the Tri

It's about talent. I think the Lakers could wind up with great talent after the FA period.

Time will tell though.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
It's not supposed to be 50, Mike. It's assumed that it should be in the early 50's. Some say there's a chance it could go up to the mid-50's.

The greatest thing about the way Mitch has manipulated the cap is that if it rises, the Lakers would have room to sign a free agent in 2007 and 2008.

As for the roster in 2007 - I would think Odom, Bynum, Turiaf, Vujacic and Bryant know the Triangle well enough at that point.

You think Phil won't stick around if he likes the players the Lakers have and believes he can win rings with them? I'm sure he will.

He won a ring his first season running the Tri here with Kobe and Shaq. We went to the Finals in 2004 with Payton and Malone not really comfortable in the Tri

It's about talent. I think the Lakers could wind up with great talent after the FA period.

Time will tell though.

I hadn't even realized that. NICE! Any idea how much we'd be able to spend on the two hypothetical FAs, wolf?
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I will calculate the numbers from my crappy resources (Hoopshype is the only place where I can find yearly numbers)

Let's assume the roster for 2007 is

Kobe 19.49
Odom 13.52
Bynum 2.17
Vujacic 1.75
Parker 1.03 (130% of players previous salary)
Turiaf 0.8
--------------
38.76 approx

So depending on the cap amount, the Lakers can choose who to waive or lose their rights to.

If the cap is 51, and they want to offer 13-14 million - Then they would have to lose 2 million in contracts (Goodbye Sasha LOL). If the cap goes up to the anticipated 53 million - then they don't really need to do anything.

If they fail to land the MAX guys - Lebron/Nowitzki/Bosh - then they can sign some of the cheaper FA's. Guys that could come here 6-7 million. What that does, is it allows the Lakers to add a FA that season, but also leave room for the next summer.

And by 2008, Once expects the cap to be well into the 50's - maybe even 56/57 due to inflation/league revenue dollar amounts being higher etc.

Odom is also a last year that season - and could be traded with relative ease in sign and trades as well as salary dumps to make space. Remember 2008 is the season where a ton of stud big's are UFA's (O'Neal, Brand) as well as some excellent RFA's (Howards, Okafur). Also your boy Iggy's a FA that season too.

If that KG dude is still ringless at that point, he might want to excercise that ETO and come to LA for whatever capspace we have at that time
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Lamar is not even an all star

Not a top 15 SF

Not a top 15 PF too

He gets paid all star money and is just a ROLE PLAYER !!!!!!!!!!!!!
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Ok, I will calculate the numbers from my crappy resources (Hoopshype is the only place where I can find yearly numbers)

Kobe 19.49
Odom 13.52
Bynum 2.17
Vujacic 1.75
Turiaf 0.8
--------------
38.76 approx

So depending on the cap amount, the Lakers can choose who to waive or lose their rights to.

If the cap is 51, and they want to offer 13-14 million - Then they would have to lose 2 million in contracts (Goodbye Sasha LOL). If the cap goes up to the anticipated 53 million - then they don't really need to do anything.

If they fail to land the MAX guys - Lebron/Nowitzki/Bosh - then they can sign some of the cheaper FA's. Guys that could come here 6-7 million. What that does, is it allows the Lakers to add a FA that season, but also leave room for the next summer.

And by 2008, Once expects the cap to be well into the 50's - maybe even 56/57 due to inflation/league revenue dollar amounts being higher etc.

Odom is also a last year that season - and could be traded with relative ease in sign and trades as well as salary dumps to make space. Remember 2008 is the season where a ton of stud big's are UFA's (O'Neal, Brand) as well as some excellent RFA's (Howards, Okafur). Also your boy Iggy's a FA that season too.

If that KG dude is still ringless at that point, he might want to excercise that ETO and come to LA for whatever capspace we have at that time

are you ready for another year of this? You sound like you are.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Kobe 19.49
Odom 13.52
Bynum 2.17
Vujacic 1.75
Turiaf 0.8
--------------
38.76 approx

are you ready for another year of this? You sound like you are.

I can handle mediocrity in the short term for a chance at true "greatness" in a year or 2.

btw, DAMN YOU WOLF!!! You jerk!! Now I'm salivating for the chance at IGGY POP!!!

Shew! Could you imagine this lineup? Sign and trade Bosh for Kwame and fillers in '07. S&T LO for Iggy in '08. Why do I do this to myself.

Bynum
Bosh/Turiaf
Iggy
Kobe
Smush/Sasha

It'll never happen.

Last edited by magic_bryant on Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

^He is. I'm not. Plan better work.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

Quote:
are you ready for another year of this? You sound like you are

When I heard about the capspace plan in the summer of 2004, I kinda assumed the Lakers would be a medoicre team in terms of depth.

I think they can become better with the progress of their bigs and Lamar Odom. They are the 2nd youngest team in the NBA (On active roster)

Young teams ussually get better.

While I don't expect contendership at all for another year and half - I think the Lakers should be better each year.

34 wins last season - should go into the 40's this season. Next season maybe try to hit 48 or 50. I expect Bynum to be a quality player. I expect the Lakers will be able to sign a quality FA or two in 07+08.

I can line with it, knowing that the Lakers didn't want to wait another 10+ years for a title run this time around .....

They aimed for maximum impact and they planned it 3 years in advance.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
It'll never happen

That's what they always say to Kobe and the Lakers.

We'll see what happens in the end.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Okay wait. Assume it's $50mil. Let's say the Lakers keep Parker at around $3mil.

5 Players. Where's your other 8? No depth. Phoenix Suns minutes I'm assuming?

Not to mention, PJ still has to teach the triangle and may or may not retire by then.

I really hate wasting years for a FA pickup.

As I've said before, no player is worth the franchise "killing time"

What about the draft picks from now until then? Are they going to be kept or traded away? Even if two are kept... you can drop the $13mil max down to $11 by then.

Well, don't forget the MLE, the vet's min, and the league min.... after all, we were able to get decent role players around Shaq and Kobe with these kinds of contracts.

The real question is NOT whether we can manipulate the cap space to sign a great player, but whether there will be any such players on the market.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
It'll never happen

That's what they always say to Kobe and the Lakers.

We'll see what happens in the end.

You're really trying to put me on pins and needles aren't you wolf? Now I'm going to EXPECT Bosh and Iggy. I WON'T allow myself to think it. I just won't. It's just such a "dream" lineup I've played out in my mind and on NBA Live so many times, to always have to come back to reality and see Kobe and the Kobe-aires that it's too hard to believe in such mythical S&T occurring.

Hopefully, Kupchak will randomly call my house for suggestions.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject:

the funny thing is that we arent good ...at all. Kobe is but thats it. we may not make the playoffs. I dont see what can happen in the offseason that cant happen now. Basically we are wasting a year of Kobe and PJ. No guarentee PJ will be back
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
the funny thing is that we arent good ...at all. Kobe is but thats it. we may not make the playoffs. I dont see what can happen in the offseason that cant happen now. Basically we are wasting a year of Kobe and PJ. No guarentee PJ will be back

I think PJ is more likely to stay on after the 3 years than he is to leave again. Nothing bothered him more than knowing MJ, Pippen, Rodman, and those guys didn't get the chance to fully instill their places in history. It's the very reason he didn't allow Kupchak to make the trade for Terry and Rahim in '03, when they could have been had for basically Horry's expiring K. It's also the same reason he left last year, cause he felt it was too wrong to break up Kobe and Shaq and not let them fully instill THEIR places in history.

I don't think Phil quits this time around until he knows full and well, that Kobe's had his FULL chance.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Well, don't forget the MLE, the vet's min, and the league min.... after all, we were able to get decent role players around Shaq and Kobe with these kinds of contracts.

When you're under the salary cap, you don't get an MLE.

As for vet min and league min, what else did you think I was referring to by merry minimums?

I think with the capspace plan, both the Lakers and some fans are banking on definite improvement by specific players to become starter worthy.

Both the Spurs and Pistons were essentially built around 1 max player. Kinda love the fact that they built around draft and MLEs to build championship rosters... yet for some reason, the Lakers can't do the same.

bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
bounty wrote:

I think PJ is more likely to stay on after the 3 years than he is to leave again. Nothing bothered him more than knowing MJ, Pippen, Rodman, and those guys didn't get the chance to fully instill their places in history. It's the very reason he didn't allow Kupchak to make the trade for Terry and Rahim in '03, when they could have been had for basically Horry's expiring K. It's also the same reason he left last year, cause he felt it was too wrong to break up Kobe and Shaq and not let them fully instill THEIR places in history.

I don't think Phil quits this time around until he knows full and well, that Kobe's had his FULL chance.

IMO-his biggest problem is with KUP. You notice how every time he comes out now its pointed at the TALENT on the team. the onus is on the GM etc. I can see PJ leaving. You never know
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
bounty wrote:

IMO-his biggest problem is with KUP. You notice how every time he comes out now its pointed at the TALENT on the team. the onus is on the GM etc. I can see PJ leaving. You never know

PJ generally has a problem with Management. He always has and always will. Because of the sour taste left in his mouth by the way the Bulls ended their Dynasty and the Shaq trade, I really think PJ feels it necessary, to not let it happen again. He's so into the spiritual side of things. I'm sure he believes in Karma. He's just the kind of kooky guy, to believe in "righting the wrongs of his past", such as the Bulls versus management and Shaq trades. Both things ended two of the greatest players ever, MJ and Shaq, chances to continue on their dominance. Phil is just the kind of guy to hold that close to his heart when deciding whether or not Kobe deserves a few more years. Especially with this almost "friendship" that has emerged between the two.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Mike.

I thought you would know better with all your excellent draft knowledge.

Is it easier to find a triple threat guard in the draft to compliment Duncan or a 18/10 Bigman to compliment Kobe?

Come on man. You are a basketball genious. I can't believe I'm reading the comparison of building a team around the best bigman in the game to building a team around the best perimeter player in the NBA.

The Spurs have guards that compliment Duncan (Parker, Ginobli) that would be the equivalent of a C-PF combo that gives Bryant 15-10 and 18-10 respectively. Yes, it would be the equivalent of having two all-star calibar bigmen at C-PF. A great example would be the Wallace duo in Detroit. That's the kind of help Timmy has at guard.

Noway can you find that type of bigman easily in the draft. Not to mention, Duncan's game allows the Spurs to have an interior presence. Kobe's defense is elite when he wants it to be - but it makes nowhere near the impact Duncan's low post defense does.

Are you going to dispute what I have said above?

Just answer me this.

Who would you rather build around? Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan?

Funny how people want a help around Kobe through the draft, yet complain about the drafting of a highschooler (Hello, he's the best chance Kobe has of a true two-way Center)

If you want a stud bigman without a top 2 pick - get ready to take on a 3-4 year project.

Jermaine O'Neal
Zack Randolph
^
Went late but their teams had to wait 2-3 years before they could get real impact out of them.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

When you're under the salary cap, you don't get an MLE.

Maybe I misunderstand things, but once they signed their maxed-out stud and reached the cap, wouldn't they be eligible for an MLE signing?
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Mike.

I thought you would know better with all your excellent draft knowledge.

Is it easier to find a triple threat guard in the draft to compliment Duncan or a 18/10 Bigman to compliment Kobe?

Come on man. You are a basketball genious. I can't believe I'm reading the comparison of building a team around the best bigman in the game to building a team around the best perimeter player in the NBA.

The Spurs have guards that compliment Duncan (Parker, Ginobli) that would be the equivalent of a C-PF combo that gives Bryant 15-10 and 18-10 respectively. Yes, it would be the equivalent of having two all-star calibar bigmen at C-PF. A great example would be the Wallace duo in Detroit. That's the kind of help Timmy has at guard.

Noway can you find that type of bigman easily in the draft. Not to mention, Duncan's game allows the Spurs to have an interior presence. Kobe's defense is elite when he wants it to be - but it makes nowhere near the impact Duncan's low post defense does.

Are you going to dispute what I have said above?

Just answer me this.

Who would you rather build around? Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan?

Funny how people want a help around Kobe through the draft, yet complain about the drafting of a highschooler (Hello, he's the best chance Kobe has of a true two-way Center)

If you want a stud bigman without a top 2 pick - get ready to take on a 3-4 year project.

Jermaine O'Neal
Zack Randolph
^
Went late but their teams had to wait 2-3 years before they could get real impact out of them.

Solid post Wolf.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I

just

Quote:
am

tired

Quote:
of

reading

Quote:
threads

Quote:
this.

Can't

Quote:
we

just

Quote:
scale

back

Quote:
the

unadulterated

Quote:
hate

a

Quote:
teeeeeeeeeeensy-weeeeeeeeensy

bit?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: