Lakers in the News 12/14/15 - 12/20/15: Lakers' weak team remains a strong draw, thanks to Kobe's farewell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell Finally Beginning to Actualize His Potential
by Eric Yee - lakeshowlife.com

Lakers rookie D’Angelo Russell is finally beginning to find his groove, just as he said he would prior to the season

Fans have been quick to criticize D’Angelo Russell for being a bust. Almost as quickly as fans have recently jumped back onto his ever growing band wagon.

Coming into the season, Lakers point guard D’Angelo Russell made it publicly known that patience would be key for his development. Still, the media and fans alike placed unrealistic expectations on him the very instance he laced up for the Purple and Gold.

I always have trouble figuring it out early but as the season progresses I kinda figure it out. In college being a combo guard is tough — knowing when to get guys involved and knowing when to score. And as the season went along I started to figure it out. At this level I feel like it’s going to be the same.

His struggles were apparent to start the season and his numbers directly reflected this. Through his first 20 games, all of which he started, Russell failed to score 20 points one time and his assist numbers lingered around an underwhelming three per contest.

The NBA is a galaxy far, far away from the competition found in the NCAA and unless your name is Lebron James, the learning curve is steep. Players are faster, stronger, smarter, and down right just better in the NBA. Heck, insert almost any positive adjective you can muster up and it’ll likely be true.

With that in mind, Russell’s self-fulfilling prophecy is finally beginning to take shape. Despite going 1-3 in the past four games and coming off the bench for two of them, Russell is hovering around 20 points, 3 rebounds and 5 assists per game.

Continued....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject:

D’Angelo Russell Learning To Pick His (Efficient) Spots For Lakers
by lakersnation.com

Perhaps it’s only appropriate that the Los Angeles Lakers, sparked by the improved offensive game of D’Angelo Russell, are facing off tonight against the Houston Rockets. In some ways, the rookie guard has made recent progress by taking a page from his opponents’ playbook.

Over the past several years, the Rockets have been one of the leading practitioners of efficient scoring opportunities. They’ve strategically reduced their mid-range jumpers in favor of restricted-area and three-point shots. Although they’ve struggled this season, their “Moreyball” approach (named after their general manager Daryl Morey) has remained influential throughout the NBA.

How do these analytics relate to Russell’s improvements? The connection is admittedly figurative, but when we explore how his points per game has risen from 10.4 in November to 15.6 in December, we can see the familiar features of Moreyball.

For example, witness the shift in Russell’s shot locations (courtesy of NBA Savant):

Continued....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Julius Randle working on his shooting touch
by Mike Bresnahan - latimes.com

It's an hour before Thursday's game.

Most fans who came early wanted to catch a glimpse of Kobe Bryant. Maybe only a handful notice Julius Randle's dutiful workout with Lakers shooting coach Tracy Murray.

He moves around the perimeter and finds a groove on the right side, about 16 feet from the basket. He makes one, two, three in a row. The lefty doesn't miss until his 10th attempt.

He looks relaxed, as if outside shooting isn't the main thing he needs to improve in his first full NBA season. But it is, narrowly nosing out the need to use his right hand. (He practices that too, moving slowly around the lower part of the key and flipping the ball in with his right hand.)

Randle, 21, has shown an affinity for rebounding and no one questions his work ethic. His shot needs fixing, his accuracy hovering at 43% before the Lakers played the Houston Rockets.

He was at 52.2% within five feet of the basket but it dropped from there: 39.6% from 5-9 feet, 15.4% from 10-14 feet, 23.3% from 15-19 feet.

In today's stretch-the-floor NBA, that's a problem for an undersized power forward. Randle and the Lakers are working on it.

"If you watch in warmups or practice or shoot-around, he'll knock those shots down," Murray said. "He has to transform that mentally to the game. I think he's a little too fast — adrenaline."

Murray once scored 50 points for the Washington Wizards in an NBA career that spanned 12 seasons, including a brief stop with the Lakers in 2002-03.

The former UCLA star is trying to get Randle to s-l-o-w d-o-w-n.

Continued....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Julius Randle Not Fazed By Star Opponents Because Of Kobe Bryant
by Corey Hansford - lakersnation.com

Los Angeles Lakers forward Julius Randle has been one of the team’s most consistent players this season and one thing that has stood out about him has been a lack of fear regardless of his opponent.

On opening night, Randle got in the face of Kevin Garnett, and he has already matched up with some of the NBA’s best players such as Dirk Nowitzki, LaMarcus Aldridge, and Chris Bosh.

Next up for Randle is a game against former MVP Kevin Durant and the Oklahoma City Thunder, but Randle says playing with Kobe Bryant has removed any sort of special feeling when facing off against star players according to Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News:

Julius Randle rolled his eyes on playing against star opponents (ie Kevin Durant). Randle: "I play with Kobe so I'm past that."

Continued....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Larry Nance Jr. Thriving in New Role as Starter
by Anthony Yassa - lakeshowlife.com

Since being inserted into the starting lineup, Lakers rookie Larry Nance Jr. has steadily proved his value

When Larry Nance Jr. was drafted by the Los Angeles Lakers, the thought that he would be challenging Julius Randle and Brandon Bass for a starting role would have seemed ridiculous. Now it has become reality, as Nance Jr. was inserted into the starting line up with Randle falling into the second unit, and Bass seeing his minutes disappear entirely.

Although decreasing Randle’s minutes remains a highly questionable decision, Nance Jr. has played quite well since becoming a starter. As a high energy player, his rebounding and defense has helped to balance out some of his teammate’s most glaring weaknesses.

As a defender, Jr. brings the ability to switch onto most players, as well as the athleticism to block shots at the rim after rotating over. These skills, along with his willingness to fight for rebounds on both ends, helps to improve the overall strength of the starting unit on the defensive end.

Nance Jr.’s athleticism has also allowed him to be an exceptional finisher at the rim. Moving well both off the ball and as the screener in the pick and roll, Nance has proven to be one of the Lakers best options for high percentage opportunities. His size and explosiveness have already led to multiple highlight dunks like this one.

Continued....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject:

Larry Nance Jr.'s Consistency Sets Him Apart
by Hannah Kulik - lakeshowlife.com

Larry Nance Jr. has been a reliable option for a Lakers team craving just that

The Los Angeles Lakers were criticized last summer when they used the 27th pick of the 2015 NBA Draft to select Larry Nance Jr. There were other higher profile players still on the board at the time, and questions were raised whether the team had squandered a valuable first round choice. In this instance, the Lakers appear to have proven everyone wrong.

No one could have predicted that, a third of the way through the season, Nance would be in the starting lineup while D’Angelo Russell and Julius Randle would be reserves. The Lakers’ third rookie, Anthony Brown, was projected to be drafted higher than Nance and he has hardly played at all. While Russell, Randle, and Jordan Clarkson are believed to be the future of the franchise, they continue to have their ups and downs while Nance keeps plugging away night after night, consistently making a valuable contribution.

In the Lakers’ most recent contest, their second blowout loss to the Houston Rockets in the past week, the team reverted to its season-long pattern of getting off to a slow start and falling behind by double-digits early; the game was essentially over by the end of the first quarter. Nance, however, had perhaps his best individual game of the season, while Russell, Clarkson, and Randle struggled. Nance played 28 minutes while scoring 11 points on 5-8 shooting, with five rebounds and a lot of good defense.

Continued....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject:

Can LA Lakers’ young core entice Kevin Durant this offseason?
by Mark Medina - dailynews.com

The Lakers’ game plan will call on guards D’Angelo Russell and Jordan Clarkson to find a way somehow to slow down Thunder guard Russell Westbrook. The Lakers’ scouting report will also call on Kobe Bryant to defend Oklahoma City forward Kevin Durant, adding another intriguing wrinkle toward how Bryant will match up with another younger player that emulated many of his scoring traits.

But the Lakers (4-22) face a heavy assignment that goes beyond whether they can upset the Oklahoma City Thunder (17-9) on Saturday at Chesapeake Energy Arena. It also marks the first of many positive impressions the Lakers hope they can leave on Durant, who will surely represent the Lakers’ primary target in free agency this offseason.

“We have to develop our core players,” Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said in an interview with Los Angeles News Group. “When you’re recruiting a veteran free agent, especially a free agent that may have to take less money to come to your city, they want to know who they’re going to play with.”

Free-agent prospects, such as Durant, should know who they will play with should they join the Lakers. Although he considered it “not an easy thought,” Kupchak acknowledged Bryant’s pending retirement this season will open up enough cap space to sign two free agents to maximum-size contracts. Meanwhile, Russell, Clarkson and Julius Randle are expected to represent the Lakers’ long-term future.

But will those three players blossom enough to persuade a marquee free agent enough that a future partnership would lead to NBA championships?

“It’s hard to convince a veteran free agent to come to L.A. because they’re going to love our No. 2 pick (Russell). Or they’re going to love playing with our seventh pick from a year ago (Randle),” Kupchak said. “But we’re hoping that all three of these guys can develop and go into the offseason so that we can say to prospective veteran free agents, ‘Listen you’ve seen them play this year, come play with them.’”

Continued....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject:

Lakers Free Agency: Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant Ate Dinner Together (Pic)
by Cody Williams - lakeshowlife.com

Lakers star Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant ate dinner together on Friday with KD’s 2016 free agency looming

The NBA free agency frenzy surrounding Kevin Durant in the summer of 2016 is going to be mass insanity. Not only is the salary cap going to have jumped, leaving numerous teams the option of throwing a huge contract at Durant, but he’s also one of the most dominant and unique players in the league. With the over $65 million in cap-room that the Los Angeles Lakers are set to have next summer, you have to imagine they’ll be involved in the Durant sweepstakes.

The question, however, is going to be just how seriously the Lakers plan to pursue the current Oklahoma City Thunder forward and the 2013-14 NBA MVP or, rather, how seriously Durant would consider coming to the Lakers. Free agency is still almost seven full months away, but Durant is at least interested in associating with Lakers players at this point.

Ahead of the Lakers’ matchup with the Thunder on Saturday afternoon, Durant and Kobe Bryant were seen eating together in OKC on Friday night:

Continued....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Kobe Bryant downplays sore shoulder, says he'll be fine in a couple days
by Mike Bresnahan - latimes.com

Kobe Bryant said his shoulder soreness did not seem serious and he hoped to play in the Lakers' next game on Tuesday at Denver.

Bryant sat out the Lakers' 118-78 loss Saturday to Oklahoma City after experiencing discomfort in his right shoulder. He sustained a torn rotator cuff in the same shoulder after a dunk last January that ended his season.

Bryant's first dunk this season came two days ago.

"I'm sure it didn't help," he said. "It was [bothering] me before then."

Bryant said he would let the shoulder rest and didn't plan on seeing a doctor. He wasn't surprised there would be soreness in it after undergoing surgery 11 months ago to repair the rotator cuff.

"It's just something that needs a couple days," he said.

Continued....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Kevin Durant downplays dinner with Kobe Bryant
by Mark Medina - insidesocal.com

The words flowed out endlessly as Oklahoma City forward Kevin Durant gushed about Kobe Bryant’s mentorship. Durant admired Bryant’s work ethic. Durant cherished playing with Bryant on two U.S. Olympic teams. Durant appreciated Bryant’s support after the Thunder’s star broke his right foot last season.

But Durant suddenly became less talkative surrounding his dinner with Bryant on Friday night in Oklahoma City.

“It was cool,” Durant said before the Lakers played the Thunder on Chesapeake Energy Arena.

What did Bryant discuss with Durant?

“We had a good meal,” Durant said, “at a nice restaurant.”

Lakers coach Byron Scott sounded amused about the subject, saying “it was just two great players and good friends having dinner.” But with the Lakers planning to pursue Durant next summer during free agency, it was only natural to wonder if Bryant made any early sales pitch.

For what it’s worth, Durant admired how Bryant will end a 20-year career solely with the Lakers, something Durant may try to do with the Thunder.

“That’s a dream. That’s a type of career you wan to have when you first come into this league,” Durant said. “When you win a title, it makes it easier to ride it out.”

Continued....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell says Byron Scott's offensive system is part of the Lakers' problem
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

D'Angelo Russell thinks part of the problem is the system head coach Byron Scott is running.

The Los Angeles Lakers were blown out by the Oklahoma City Thunder, facing a 20-point deficit by the end of the first quarter. They shot just 34.9 percent from the field through the game, scoring 15 points in the first quarter and 14 points in the third. The Lakers lost by 40 points for a variety of reasons -- not just because they struggled to get the ball through the hoop -- but the lack of rhythm on offense made things easy for the Thunder. D'Angelo Russell gave his own thoughts on why they couldn't make a push or change the flow of the game, pointing to the "system" the Lakers are running as part of the problem.

"You try to make a run and sustain the run. There's not much you can do when we're trying to stay within the system," Russell said during his postgame availability.

The Lakers hardly had anything resembling a run in their ugly loss in Oklahoma City, mostly hearing the clunk of the rim as they missed from beyond the arc and just about everywhere else on the court. Russell's three-point shooting struggles continued, even with a handful of open looks. Still, D'Angelo pointing directly at the offensive system Lakers head coach Byron Scott has implemented as part of the problem is damning.

A quick look at the shot chart -- which only tells a part of the story -- shows just how ineffective they were against the Thunder:

Continued....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Byron Scott: Lakers Played Scared In 40-Point Loss To Thunder
by Corey Hansford - lakersnation.com

The Los Angeles Lakers turned in one of their worst performances of the season against the Oklahoma City Thunder and that did not sit well with head coach Byron Scott.

With Kobe Bryant sitting out, the Lakers were dominated from the start and ultimately fell by 40 points to one of the NBA’s top teams.

Afterwards, Scott called his team’s performance pathetic and said they looked scared according to Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times:

Byron says this game was "pathetic." Thought the Lakers played scared in 40-point loss.

Continued....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

D’Angelo Russell, Julius Randle Say They Were Not ‘Scared’ Vs. Thunder
by Ryan Ward - lakersnation.com

Following the ugly 40-point loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder, Los Angeles Lakers head coach Byron Scott ripped into his team for their poor effort. Scott believed his players were playing scared against a very good Thunder squad led by Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.

Coach Scott went as far as to say the Lakers were “pathetic” on Saturday. The 54-year-old head coach with an old-school mentality called out his team for being in “awe” of the Thunder.

After being told about Scott’s comments to the media about their performance, Julius Randle and D’Angelo Russell both disagreed with Scott’s assessment. The young duo didn’t think they were playing scared against a much better team led by two superstars via ESPN’s Baxter Holmes:

Both D’Angelo Russell and Julius Randle said they didn’t agree with Byron Scott’s assessment that the Lakers were “scared” vs. OKC.

Continued....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
FromMagicToKobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 03 Nov 2015
Posts: 665

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Kevin Durant downplays dinner with Kobe Bryant
by Mark Medina - insidesocal.com

The words flowed out endlessly as Oklahoma City forward Kevin Durant gushed about Kobe Bryant’s mentorship. Durant admired Bryant’s work ethic. Durant cherished playing with Bryant on two U.S. Olympic teams. Durant appreciated Bryant’s support after the Thunder’s star broke his right foot last season.

But Durant suddenly became less talkative surrounding his dinner with Bryant on Friday night in Oklahoma City.

“It was cool,” Durant said before the Lakers played the Thunder on Chesapeake Energy Arena.

What did Bryant discuss with Durant?

“We had a good meal,” Durant said, “at a nice restaurant.”

Lakers coach Byron Scott sounded amused about the subject, saying “it was just two great players and good friends having dinner.” But with the Lakers planning to pursue Durant next summer during free agency, it was only natural to wonder if Bryant made any early sales pitch.

For what it’s worth, Durant admired how Bryant will end a 20-year career solely with the Lakers, something Durant may try to do with the Thunder.

“That’s a dream. That’s a type of career you wan to have when you first come into this league,” Durant said. “When you win a title, it makes it easier to ride it out.”

Continued....


KD is gonna leave OKC unless they win a title this year
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TDRock
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 9847
Location: LA to the Bay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject:

I'm not generally a "shots fired!" type of gal but those comments from DLO and Randle sound as though things are coming to a head.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 4776

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
D'Angelo Russell says Byron Scott's offensive system is part of the Lakers' problem
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

D'Angelo Russell thinks part of the problem is the system head coach Byron Scott is running.

The Los Angeles Lakers were blown out by the Oklahoma City Thunder, facing a 20-point deficit by the end of the first quarter. They shot just 34.9 percent from the field through the game, scoring 15 points in the first quarter and 14 points in the third. The Lakers lost by 40 points for a variety of reasons -- not just because they struggled to get the ball through the hoop -- but the lack of rhythm on offense made things easy for the Thunder. D'Angelo Russell gave his own thoughts on why they couldn't make a push or change the flow of the game, pointing to the "system" the Lakers are running as part of the problem.

"You try to make a run and sustain the run. There's not much you can do when we're trying to stay within the system," Russell said during his postgame availability.

The Lakers hardly had anything resembling a run in their ugly loss in Oklahoma City, mostly hearing the clunk of the rim as they missed from beyond the arc and just about everywhere else on the court. Russell's three-point shooting struggles continued, even with a handful of open looks. Still, D'Angelo pointing directly at the offensive system Lakers head coach Byron Scott has implemented as part of the problem is damning.

A quick look at the shot chart -- which only tells a part of the story -- shows just how ineffective they were against the Thunder:

Continued....
DLO's words would have more credibility if spoken during his recent steak of games where he was playing well.

What system would DLO prefer, a Spurs/Warriors-type system with MDA influences seen everywhere, and can he be 1/4th as effective as Curry or Parker?

Is Byron perfect - definitely wrong

Has DLO earn the right or respect to make demands

Are Randle/DLO entitled to play the way they want

Just wondering
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 May 2003
Posts: 11720

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
D'Angelo Russell says Byron Scott's offensive system is part of the Lakers' problem
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

D'Angelo Russell thinks part of the problem is the system head coach Byron Scott is running.

The Los Angeles Lakers were blown out by the Oklahoma City Thunder, facing a 20-point deficit by the end of the first quarter. They shot just 34.9 percent from the field through the game, scoring 15 points in the first quarter and 14 points in the third. The Lakers lost by 40 points for a variety of reasons -- not just because they struggled to get the ball through the hoop -- but the lack of rhythm on offense made things easy for the Thunder. D'Angelo Russell gave his own thoughts on why they couldn't make a push or change the flow of the game, pointing to the "system" the Lakers are running as part of the problem.

"You try to make a run and sustain the run. There's not much you can do when we're trying to stay within the system," Russell said during his postgame availability.

The Lakers hardly had anything resembling a run in their ugly loss in Oklahoma City, mostly hearing the clunk of the rim as they missed from beyond the arc and just about everywhere else on the court. Russell's three-point shooting struggles continued, even with a handful of open looks. Still, D'Angelo pointing directly at the offensive system Lakers head coach Byron Scott has implemented as part of the problem is damning.

A quick look at the shot chart -- which only tells a part of the story -- shows just how ineffective they were against the Thunder:

Continued....


D'Angelo was working a bit extra with Thad Matta to make the offense work in Ohio. Thad Matta even said that D'Angelo was able to point out things that he couldn't see.

D'Angelo essentially went from a basketball genius and top 10 coach in the NCAA to someone who does not have an elementary understanding of basketball. If he knew he was going to be in this kind of situation, I'm sure he would have opted to stay another year in Ohio.
_________________
"Stats are killing basketball. This is a very subjective game, a lot of things happen that you can't measure with stats. Very different details matter. The way I see basketball, the most important things don't show up in statistics." - Marc Gasol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 11075

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
D'Angelo Russell says Byron Scott's offensive system is part of the Lakers' problem
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

D'Angelo Russell thinks part of the problem is the system head coach Byron Scott is running.

The Los Angeles Lakers were blown out by the Oklahoma City Thunder, facing a 20-point deficit by the end of the first quarter. They shot just 34.9 percent from the field through the game, scoring 15 points in the first quarter and 14 points in the third. The Lakers lost by 40 points for a variety of reasons -- not just because they struggled to get the ball through the hoop -- but the lack of rhythm on offense made things easy for the Thunder. D'Angelo Russell gave his own thoughts on why they couldn't make a push or change the flow of the game, pointing to the "system" the Lakers are running as part of the problem.

"You try to make a run and sustain the run. There's not much you can do when we're trying to stay within the system," Russell said during his postgame availability.

The Lakers hardly had anything resembling a run in their ugly loss in Oklahoma City, mostly hearing the clunk of the rim as they missed from beyond the arc and just about everywhere else on the court. Russell's three-point shooting struggles continued, even with a handful of open looks. Still, D'Angelo pointing directly at the offensive system Lakers head coach Byron Scott has implemented as part of the problem is damning.

A quick look at the shot chart -- which only tells a part of the story -- shows just how ineffective they were against the Thunder:

Continued....


D'Angelo was working a bit extra with Thad Matta to make the offense work in Ohio. Thad Matta even said that D'Angelo was able to point out things that he couldn't see.

D'Angelo essentially went from a basketball genius and top 10 coach in the NCAA to someone who does not have an elementary understanding of basketball. If he knew he was going to be in this kind of situation, I'm sure he would have opted to stay another year in Ohio.


I'm sure he wouldn't and is happy to live his dream and become a laker. He is smart enough to know that this BS situation is only temporary. Even if he gets disgruntled, he is tied up with us until his late 20s. It's in his best interest to make things work with whoever Mitch puts as coach.
_________________
Compiled Lakers 2016-17 Advanced Stats(UPDATED)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 May 2003
Posts: 11720

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
D'Angelo Russell says Byron Scott's offensive system is part of the Lakers' problem
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

D'Angelo Russell thinks part of the problem is the system head coach Byron Scott is running.

The Los Angeles Lakers were blown out by the Oklahoma City Thunder, facing a 20-point deficit by the end of the first quarter. They shot just 34.9 percent from the field through the game, scoring 15 points in the first quarter and 14 points in the third. The Lakers lost by 40 points for a variety of reasons -- not just because they struggled to get the ball through the hoop -- but the lack of rhythm on offense made things easy for the Thunder. D'Angelo Russell gave his own thoughts on why they couldn't make a push or change the flow of the game, pointing to the "system" the Lakers are running as part of the problem.

"You try to make a run and sustain the run. There's not much you can do when we're trying to stay within the system," Russell said during his postgame availability.

The Lakers hardly had anything resembling a run in their ugly loss in Oklahoma City, mostly hearing the clunk of the rim as they missed from beyond the arc and just about everywhere else on the court. Russell's three-point shooting struggles continued, even with a handful of open looks. Still, D'Angelo pointing directly at the offensive system Lakers head coach Byron Scott has implemented as part of the problem is damning.

A quick look at the shot chart -- which only tells a part of the story -- shows just how ineffective they were against the Thunder:

Continued....


D'Angelo was working a bit extra with Thad Matta to make the offense work in Ohio. Thad Matta even said that D'Angelo was able to point out things that he couldn't see.

D'Angelo essentially went from a basketball genius and top 10 coach in the NCAA to someone who does not have an elementary understanding of basketball. If he knew he was going to be in this kind of situation, I'm sure he would have opted to stay another year in Ohio.


I'm sure he wouldn't and is happy to live his dream and become a laker. He is smart enough to know that this BS situation is only temporary. Even if he gets disgruntled, he is tied up with us until his late 20s. It's in his best interest to make things work with whoever Mitch puts as coach.


That's probably true, but he's a very competitive individual. I suppose this early adversity is good for him. I think this will only make him a better player in the long run.
_________________
"Stats are killing basketball. This is a very subjective game, a lot of things happen that you can't measure with stats. Very different details matter. The way I see basketball, the most important things don't show up in statistics." - Marc Gasol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 5924

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
D'Angelo Russell says Byron Scott's offensive system is part of the Lakers' problem
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

D'Angelo Russell thinks part of the problem is the system head coach Byron Scott is running.

The Los Angeles Lakers were blown out by the Oklahoma City Thunder, facing a 20-point deficit by the end of the first quarter. They shot just 34.9 percent from the field through the game, scoring 15 points in the first quarter and 14 points in the third. The Lakers lost by 40 points for a variety of reasons -- not just because they struggled to get the ball through the hoop -- but the lack of rhythm on offense made things easy for the Thunder. D'Angelo Russell gave his own thoughts on why they couldn't make a push or change the flow of the game, pointing to the "system" the Lakers are running as part of the problem.

"You try to make a run and sustain the run. There's not much you can do when we're trying to stay within the system," Russell said during his postgame availability.

The Lakers hardly had anything resembling a run in their ugly loss in Oklahoma City, mostly hearing the clunk of the rim as they missed from beyond the arc and just about everywhere else on the court. Russell's three-point shooting struggles continued, even with a handful of open looks. Still, D'Angelo pointing directly at the offensive system Lakers head coach Byron Scott has implemented as part of the problem is damning.

A quick look at the shot chart -- which only tells a part of the story -- shows just how ineffective they were against the Thunder:

Continued....


D'Angelo was working a bit extra with Thad Matta to make the offense work in Ohio. Thad Matta even said that D'Angelo was able to point out things that he couldn't see.

D'Angelo essentially went from a basketball genius and top 10 coach in the NCAA to someone who does not have an elementary understanding of basketball. If he knew he was going to be in this kind of situation, I'm sure he would have opted to stay another year in Ohio.


I'm sure he wouldn't and is happy to live his dream and become a laker. He is smart enough to know that this BS situation is only temporary. Even if he gets disgruntled, he is tied up with us until his late 20s. It's in his best interest to make things work with whoever Mitch puts as coach.


That's probably true, but he's a very competitive individual. I suppose this early adversity is good for him. I think this will only make him a better player in the long run.


Well, Byron's offensive system is offensive
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 10107

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject:

Russell is being too respectful to even suggest BS has a "system."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 27363

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Russell has time on his side....the fans have lost patience with the coach, Kobe is retiring after this year. Laker fans know if they want to be successful in the future they have to give Russell the tools to succeed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
M2K
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Feb 2011
Posts: 1783

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Byron Scott is a terrible coach.

Byron's history as coach with the Lakers will be measured by how many Top 10 draft picks we ended up.
_________________
A new era of Lakers basketball has just begun!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Lakers' weak team remains a strong draw, thanks to Kobe's farewell
by Mike Bresnahan - latimes.com

Followers of the Lakers are painfully aware of it: Their team is one of the NBA's worst.

Trackers of leaguewide popularity are acutely aware of a different notion: The Lakers are among the NBA's best.

Win or lose, the Lakers are a strong draw in many basketball corners because of Kobe Bryant's final season.

The Lakers are a weak 2-15 away from Staples Center but own the NBA's best road attendance with an average of 19,223 fans. Cleveland is next at 18,979.

In the days after Bryant's retirement announcement three weeks ago, ticket resales to see the Lakers spiked 85%, with an almost equal increase for home and away games, according to Ticketmaster.

On top of it, the Lakers are screaming toward their worst-ever record and remain the second-most popular team in single-game sales on NBA League Pass, where viewers pay $6.99 to watch a live out-of-market game. Golden State is the most popular.

Bryant's retirement has been a huge assist to many bottom lines.

Continued....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Apr 2001
Posts: 12389
Location: Riverside Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

TDIKH: December 20, 2005
by nba.com

At his most brilliant, Kobe Bryant was able to take on a whole team nearly singlehandedly.

Facing a Dallas squad that would go on to play in the NBA Finals, Bryant made the Mavericks look foolish, as he outscored them by himself through three quarters, 62-61.

The Staples Center crowd erupted into chants of “We want Kobe!” during the fourth quarter, but there was no need, as Bryant’s 62 points powered the eventual 112-90 victory.

“I was very angry,” Bryant told reporters. “I felt like I wanted to come out and send a message that we’re going to dominate at home. We’re going to hit you. We’re going to bring it to you. I wanted to send that message.”

Bryant finished the game by shooting 18-of-31 from the field and 22-of-25 at the foul line in 33 minutes.

He scored a franchise-record 30 points in the third quarter alone, which he capped off by draining a 3-pointer with 4.4 seconds remaining.

“We had no answer for him,” Dallas coach Avery Johnson said. “We tried to double-team him. We tried to zone him. We tried to trap him in the backcourt. And nothing worked. He had his way with us tonight.”

No other Laker scored in double figures on a night when additional offense was largely unnecessary. In fact, Bryant even managed to collect eight rebounds and three steals when not putting the ball in the bucket.

Bryant overshadowed everyone that night, including Santa Claus himself, calling his performance “an early Christmas present” for the home crowd.

Continued....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB