Report: Fox and WWE Close to Massive Five-Year, $1 Billion Deal for 'SmackDown'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Report: Fox and WWE Close to Massive Five-Year, $1 Billion Deal for 'SmackDown'

Quote:
Fox will be the anticipated home of WWE's SmackDown Live in a massive new five-year deal worth more than $1 billion, sources close to the negotiations tell The Hollywood Reporter. The new deal, which is nearing completion and is worth $205 million annually, is expected to begin in October 2019 and will mark a three-fold increase over what NBCUniversal is currently paying WWE to air SmackDown on its USA network.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fox-wwe-close-massive-five-year-1-billion-deal-smackdown-1113701
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject:

I had no idea that WWE was still that popular. That's impressive.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Or depressing
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject:

IIRC, Fox has been doing well in the 18-49 demo with shows like Empire and 9-1-1, this deal seems to be a win-win for both sides.

Haven't really followed the WWF/WWE since the Saturday Night Main Event days, heard that McMahon expanded it with a women's league and one of the former Laker Girls is the current women's champion. At least someone from the Laker Org (past/present) is doing well.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Surprised it's taken this long for FOX and the WWF to join up.
Laker4andmore
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject:

WWE's stock going up

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

As a kid I thought wrestling was real. I was a Argentina Rocca fan. He would be getting beat down. Just when you thought he was done he do a Rocca flying drop kick and pull it out.

As an adult I don't think a man could survive a 3 hundred man jumping from the top rope of a ring, landing full body on someone and that person getting up ready to go. I now know it's entertainment not real. I think there are some who do.

I haven't researched the numbers. How profitable is wrestling? What's the fan base number?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Or depressing

How so?
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject:

fake news finally meets fake fighting
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

Thats funny considering NBC has been supporting the WWE since the 80's....Saturday Night Main Event and showing WWE Raw on the USA Network, an NBC Universal owned channel....and the owners of CNN even formed their own wrestling league called the WCW. My opinion is that they overpaid for this....the program that has the bigger ratings is RAW and that is still on USA Network.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Thats funny considering NBC has been supporting the WWE since the 80's....Saturday Night Main Event and showing WWE Raw on the USA Network, an NBC Universal owned channel....and the owners of CNN even formed their own wrestling league called the WCW. My opinion is that they overpaid for this....the program that has the bigger ratings is RAW and that is still on USA Network.

Word is USA is going to pay $300 million a year to keep Raw.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
As a kid I thought wrestling was real. I was a Argentina Rocca fan. He would be getting beat down. Just when you thought he was done he do a Rocca flying drop kick and pull it out.

As an adult I don't think a man could survive a 3 hundred man jumping from the top rope of a ring, landing full body on someone and that person getting up ready to go. I now know it's entertainment not real. I think there are some who do.

I haven't researched the numbers. How profitable is wrestling? What's the fan base number?

Outside of the WWE, most professional wrestling shows are comprised of basically a ring set up inside a high school gym or a Wal Mart parking lot.

WWE remains relevant because a lot of ex-wrestlers make it to the mainstream and go Hollywood, like the Rock, John Cena, Hulk Hogan. And then you have guys that "crossover" into MMA like Brock Lesnar.

Even if wrestling is "fake," like so many detractors like to point out, at least these guys do their own stunts and they sacrifice their bodies and personal lives working show after show year round.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
As a kid I thought wrestling was real.

Well, sure. You were listening to it on the radio, except when FDR was giving a fireside chat.

Last edited by Aeneas Hunter on Tue May 22, 2018 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Even if wrestling is "fake," like so many detractors like to point out, at least these guys do their own stunts and they sacrifice their bodies and personal lives working show after show year round.

It was the ancestor of reality TV. I’m serious.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Well, sure. You were listening to it on the radio, except when FDR was giving a fireside chat.

“The only thing we have to fear, is the DDT”
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

(bleep) roasted
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Outside of the WWE, most professional wrestling shows are comprised of basically a ring set up inside a high school gym or a Wal Mart parking lot.

WWE remains relevant because a lot of ex-wrestlers make it to the mainstream and go Hollywood, like the Rock, John Cena, Hulk Hogan. And then you have guys that "crossover" into MMA like Brock Lesnar.

Yeah, so does the cast of Jackass.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

(bleep) roasted

That's OK. He lives across the hall. AH is just living in the past. I think he misses rabbit ear antennas.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

(bleep) roasted

That's OK. He lives across the hall. AH is just living in the past. I think he misses rabbit ear antennas.

That’s right. Don’t let no other codgers give you crap. That’s what your laxative is for.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

(bleep) roasted

That’s right. Don’t let no other codgers give you crap. That’s what your laxative is for.

Can you die of constipation? I ask because I’m worried about how full of (bleep) you are.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

(bleep) roasted

Please, save your breath. You’ll probably need it to blow up your next date.
lol, you have to use yours semi inflated. The doll too.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

(bleep) roasted

Please, save your breath. You’ll probably need it to blow up your next date.
lol, you have to use yours semi inflated. The doll too.

Laker4andmore
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:

Yup

Fake is a terrible world to describe wrestling.

Its takes a lot of talent to put on an entertaining wrestling match with psychology. Character development and mic skills also take talent.

Saying wrestling is fake is like saying movies are fake. Dumb way to look at it.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

I can't wait until Vince McMahon retires from WWE in 2020 to run the XFL and let Triple H take over and make pro wrestling great again. Cuz right now, WWE sucks. WWE sucked since 2006 when John Cena became World Heavyweight Champion. Even with their stacked roster, WWE Raw and Smackdown shows suck. The only thing good about WWE is NXT and 205 Live shows. Smackdown still probably won't be a good show with the move to FOX.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: