News 'n Views - Jan 2016: Byron Scott wants Larry Nance, Jr. and Julius Randle to compete for job as starting power forward
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
lol@ anyone blaming the rookies when its the starting lineup getting blown out. Clarkson Kobe and Williams all suck on defense.

How dare you! Everyone knows its the young guys fault this team sucked last season and are even worse this season.
cycl0nus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject:

mde24 wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:
Byron gets away with this mess once again. Lets blame the young players! - leadership

Sorry but them young players are a sorry mess. Time for them to grow up!
sorry but the question should be...what comes first, grow up or man up??
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Car54 wrote:
lol@ anyone blaming the rookies when its the starting lineup getting blown out. Clarkson Kobe and Williams all suck on defense.

How dare you! Everyone knows its the young guys fault this team sucked last season and are even worse this season.

suck more with more offensive talent.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Scott's mission in deflecting blame onto the young players in the media has been accomplished.
Not running back on defense, waiting for rebounds, missing defensive assignments and making simple basketball mistakes is Byron's fault

His strategy, substition pattern and system might be flawed but being mentally/physically ready is their issue. If Kobe was in full Black Mamba mode or if they were playing with Magic - they would have been called out a long time ago.

How many times do they have to get embarrassed by having opponents score 100+ points by the end of the third quarter?

Go back and watch the game or even just Lillard's and McCollum's highlights. It was the STARTERS that got blown out- the unit with only one rookie. Lou and Hibbert got exploited over and over again. Kobe's effort on that end was poor. Randle missed some rotations, but he was as not as much to blame as the vets. DLO wasn't even part of that lineup and he was POSITIVE for the game- as in the Lakers outscored the other team when he was on the floor. I'm all for calling out the young guys when they make mistakes. But when you single those two out in a game where the vets and the coach are as much to blame or more, then they're just going to tune you out.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Scott's mission in deflecting blame onto the young players in the media has been accomplished.
Not running back on defense, waiting for rebounds, missing defensive assignments and making simple basketball mistakes is Byron's fault

His strategy, substition pattern and system might be flawed but being mentally/physically ready is their issue. If Kobe was in full Black Mamba mode or if they were playing with Magic - they would have been called out a long time ago.

How many times do they have to get embarrassed by having opponents score 100+ points by the end of the third quarter?

Go back and watch the game or even just Lillard's and McCollum's highlights. It was the STARTERS that got blown out- the unit with only one rookie. Lou and Hibbert got exploited over and over again. Kobe's effort on that end was poor. Randle missed some rotations, but he was as not as much to blame as the vets. DLO wasn't even part of that lineup and he was POSITIVE for the game- as in the Lakers outscored the other team when he was on the floor. I'm all for calling out the young guys when they make mistakes. But when you single those two out in a game where the vets and the coach are as much to blame or more, then they're just going to tune you out.

D'Angelo has the improbable job of not just bringing the team back to a reasonable margin, but also defending the players who were left unguarded by the starters. It's hard to pin this on him or Randle when it's a team effort. Team defense always, always, always takes precedence over individual defense. And Contrary to some of his other games, he actually did play decent defense in the Blazers game.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Kobe tells young Lakers teammates to take responsibility
by Eric Pincus - latimes.com

Add Kobe Bryant to the list of those unhappy with the Lakers' 9-37 record.

After the Lakers' sixth consecutive loss Saturday, falling 121-103 in Portland, Bryant pleaded with his young teammates to take responsibility and turn things around.

"His message was basically 'You've got to compete every night,' " Coach Byron Scott said. "The biggest thing I got from all the comments that he made was 'Don't blame it on anybody else. Don't blame it on the schemes, or you're not getting your minutes, or your touches.' "

Rookie forward Larry Nance Jr. said the message was well received.

"It was a very heartfelt, passionate speech to us," Nance said. "Everybody kind of took away the same message — nine and 37 is not all right. We've got to do what we can to change that. I think that started today."

Said second-year guard Jordan Clarkson: "A lot of guys are frustrated. You've got to want to change it. I think that's one of the big messages. If you want to carry this franchise, you need to find a way to change it. ... Some guys shut down. Some guys come here and work. It's a two-way street.

Added veteran forward Brandon Bass: "[Bryant] didn't like some of the things that he was seeing, and he just addressed it. I was cool with it."

Scott liked the energy his team brought to practice Monday.

"I think guys ... took it the right way," he said. "I think they understand that they have to work harder."

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject:

It remains to be seen how young LA Lakers will respond to Kobe Bryant’s criticism
by Mark Medina - dailynews.com

To the Lakers, the words sounded honest, critical and constructive as Kobe Bryant spoke. Following the team’s loss Saturday in Portland, Bryant unloaded a season-long buildup of frustration with the Lakers’ losing, their development and their attitude.

“Don’t blame it on anybody else,” Lakers coach Byron Scott recalled Bryant saying. “You can’t blame it on the schemes or you’re not getting the minutes, touches or anything like that. His message was, ‘You have to compete every night.’”

Lakers rookie forward Larry Nance Jr. described Bryant’s post-game critique as “a very heartfelt passionate speech.” Lakers forward Brandon Bass said “he was cool with it.” Scott believed all of Bryant’s teammates “took it the right way.”

And Scott predicted this could mark a turning point, even if the Lakers (9-37) enter Tuesday’s game against the Dallas Mavericks (25-21) at Staples Center far removed from the playoff picture.

“It’ll give them a wake-up call and it lets them know you have a lot of work to do,” Scott said. “You’re nowhere near where you think you are.”

But the main characters surrounding Bryant’s blistering critique did not address the issue. Bryant did not speak to reporters on Monday, since he missed practice for maintenance purposes. Although he responded to the question in a friendly manner, Bryant declined to confirm or deny what he said to the Los Angeles News Group on Saturday night.

After Bryant singled them out by name in front of the team, neither rookie point guard D’Angelo Russell nor second-year forward Julius Randle spoke to reporters Monday. The Lakers quickly mentioned both players already had previously scheduled appointments.

“It’s definitely frustrating. But you have to want to change it,” Lakers second-year guard Jordan Clarkson said. “If we want to carry the franchise, we have to figure out a way to change it.”

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Post Practice Videos - Jan. 25, 2016
by lakersnation.com

Lakers React To Kobe Bryant's Team Message After 37th Loss

Byron Scott On Kobe's 'Wakeup Call' To Team, Julius Randle's Progress

Lakers Practice: Larry Nance Jr. 'Can't Wait' To Match Up Vs. Dirk Nowitzki
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Larry Nance, Jr. will not participate in Slam Dunk Contest due to sore knee
by Harrison Faigen - silverscreenandroll.com

Lakers fans will have to wait at least one more year for Leapin' Larry to get his shot

One of the surprise highlights of a year lacking a lot of them for the Los Angeles Lakers has been the solid play of rookie power forward Larry Nance, Jr. The team has been better defensively with Nance, Jr. on the floor and the 27th overall pick in the 2015 NBA Draft has used his better than expected jumper to aid the team's offense as well. Both of those areas have been key to Nance, Jr.'s effectiveness this season, but they have not been at the center of his highlights.

Nance, Jr. has additionally lived up to the family name with his high flying dunks and seemingly boundless athleticism. His father, Larry Nance, Sr., was the champion of the NBA's inaugural Slam Dunk Contest in 1984, leaving some to hope that the younger Nance would be asked to follow in his father's footsteps, and try and become the only Lakers player to win the contest other than Kobe Bryant. According to a recent report from Baxter Holmes of ESPN, the NBA had some interest, but Nance, Jr. opted to turn down the opportunity due to an ongoing knee injury:

Continued....
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject:

I'm sure Randle and Russell will really turn things around for the team when they come in and the Lakers are already down 10-15 points. It should be good times.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I'm sure Randle and Russell will really turn things around for the team when they come in and the Lakers are already down 10-15 points. It should be good times.
It should be noted that when they were in the starting lineup together, the same thing happened - that's what prompted the lineup change
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
defense wrote:
It should be noted that when they were in the starting lineup together, the same thing happened - that's what prompted the lineup change

The starting lineup with Russell and Randle was almost ten points better on defense than the starting lineup with Lou and Nance. Also, as I recall, in the beginning of the year everyone was moaning about the Bass / Kelly lineup blowing leads off the bench.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject:

Russell and Randle would be on the starting lineup next year and on while currnet starters like Williams, Clarkson, Brown, Nance, Bass/Black may become second lineup. Thus Russell and Randle have to take up more responsibility.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell on what gives him confidence against elite guards: 'they’ve got to guard me too'
by Harrison Faigen - silverscreenandroll.com

Russell doesn't lack for confidence

D'Angelo Russell's play has been trending upward as the season goes on. The rookie has had his playing time limited to 24.8 minutes per game over the Los Angeles Lakers' last 15 contests, but over that time span he has averaged 18.7 points, 5.2 assists, and 3.7 rebounds on 45.9% shooting per-36 minutes, numbers that lend themselves to the idea that he could put up the types of eye-popping stats as some of his fellow rookies if given the minutes.

With that rising production has come more public displays of confidence from the rookie second overall pick. After one of his best games as a pro, scoring 27 points in a close game against the Sacramento Kings, Russell told reporters during his post-game availability "Y'all ain't seen nothing yet," and at the "Lakers All Access" event in Los Angeles, Russell and some of his teammates addressed the media and fans in question and answer session, which led to Russell's latest demonstration of self-confidence:

How's D'Angelo Russell's confidence despite having to guard Curry, Westbrook, etc? “I’ve still got it. I mean, they’ve got to guard me too.”

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject:

Shaquille O'Neal, who wasn't always so kind, speaks lovingly of Lakers, L.A. and the Buss family
by Mike Bresnahan - latimes.com

There were no basketball games Monday at Staples Center, only an event that might have patched up some differences between Shaquille O'Neal and the Lakers.

If time heals all wounds, O'Neal has tried to cleanse whatever ill will he created during his eight-season Lakers run.

He sparred publicly with Kobe Bryant back then, infamously bellowed "Now you gonna pay me?" at Jerry Buss during an exhibition game, and then did the unthinkable — won a championship with Miami two years after Buss, then the Lakers' owner, traded him in 2004.

Lakers fans forgot his immense talent, his magnetic personality, his never-ending desire to make people laugh — teammates, coaches, whomever. He was mainly booed when he returned to Staples Center for games with the Heat, the villain to Bryant's hero status.

O'Neal, now 45, had some revealing things to say Monday about the Buss family. Many of his comments expressed support for Jeanie Buss, the Lakers' president and also in attendance at the team's annual "All-Access" event for fans, sponsored by the L.A. Sports and Entertainment Commission.

"I love Jeanie. I love this organization. I love this city. I love this building. We had some great times here," O'Neal said. "I wish it could have played out where I played here forever, but business is business.

"Good thing about the Buss family is the day I got traded, I got a call from Jeanie and Dr. Jerry Buss [saying], 'We love you. . . . We want to do things different.' And you can only respect that.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject:

Breaking Down Lakers's Prospective 2016-17 Roster
by Ed Schrenzel - lakeshowlife.com

The Lakers continue to struggle as their winning percentage has dipped below 20 percent. The only thing fans can really cheer for is Kobe Bryant in his farewell NBA season.

But what about next year? What will the Lakers look like after Kobe has moved on to new challenges?

Only six current players are signed for next season: guards D’Angelo Russell, Lou Williams and Nick Young, and forwards Anthony Brown, Larry Nance Jr.and Julius Randle.

Russell, Randle, Nance and Brown represent the youthful nucleus of the team’s future hopes. In all likelihood, they will be joined by guard Jordan Clarkson, who is a restricted free agent. Indications are that the front office likes Clarkson and plans to re-sign him to a longer-term contract, or match any offers he receives.

Some have speculated that Williams could be traded. Lakers management like his ability to score, and he has two years remaining on a modestly-valued contract ($7 million per year). It would take a compelling offer to move him, so chances are he will be back.

Young, of course, is a different story. He has fallen out of favor with Coach Bryon Scott, and accordingly out of the playing rotation. Even given his questionable shot selection, he still can be a good, sometimes great scorer for the right team- just as JR Smith has been for Cleveland. Some offensively-deprived NBA team should be willing to take a chance on Young. So look for the Lakers to deal him, likely before the trade deadline.

That still leaves a roster with only five or six players and no centers, so GM Mitch Kupchak has his work cut out for him. He might engineer a trade or two this season, not only for Young but perhaps for center Roy Hibbert and/or power forward Brandon Bass, who Scott has used in the back-up center role.

It’s doubtful Kupchak is interested in getting back only draft picks or unproven younger players. With five youngsters (including Clarkson), his preference is to surround them with more experienced teammates.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 2015-16 Midseason Grades: Prospects
by Trevor Lane - lakersnation.com

The Los Angeles Lakers are just past the halfway point of the 2015-16 NBA season and it’s time to take stock of who is performing and who isn’t.

Yesterday, we passed out grades for the veterans and now it’s the prospects’ turn. Keep in mind that contracts matter, so a player performing poorly on a long-term deal will get a lower grade than one on an expiring contract.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Draft Prospects: Buddy Hield Breakdown
by Cody Williams - lakeshowlife.com

Breaking down 2016 NBA Draft prospect and possible Lakers pick Buddy Hield

The Los Angeles Lakers have had a rough go of it in the 2015-16 NBA season as the worst team in the Western Conference and one of the worst teams in the league as a whole. However, there’s potentially a light at the end of the tunnel in the form of the 2016 NBA Draft.

As of Jan. 26, the Lakers have the second best odds in the league at nabbing the No. 1-overall pick in the 2016 draft that would add another top prospect to their roster in addition to lottery picks from the last two draft classes in Julius Randle and D’Angelo Russell. This, of course, is assuming that their pick falls in the top-three and that it doesn’t transfer to the Philadelphia 76ers.

In the optimistic view that the Lakers keep their 2016 first-round pick, though, it’s important to assess the players who will be available and who have a high likelihood of being selected in the lottery. We’ve already broken down Duke freshman Brandon Ingram and Kentucky freshman Skal Labisseire. Now we’ll turn our attention to an upperclassman in Oklahoma senior guard Buddy Hield.

There’s no 2016 NBA Draft prospect whose stock has been as rapidly on the rise as Hield’s has been through the first few months of the 2015-16 college basketball season. He’s the second-leading scorer in the country right now and turning heads with jaw-dropping performances seemingly at every turn. Though he was always going to be a quality prospect for the 2016 draft, he’s vaulted himself heavily into the lottery conversation and could continue to be on the rise through the heart of Big 12 play and then the NCAA Tournament.

So let’s dive right into an in-depth breakdown of Hield as an NBA prospect in terms of his game and how he would potentially fit with the Lakers.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject:

TDIKH: January 26, 2001
by nba.com

Facing a formidable opposing duo, Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal provided matching 26-point efforts to lead the Lakers over New Jersey.

Despite Stephon Marbury and Keith Van Horn scoring 33 and 25, respectively, for the Nets, the Lakers nonetheless won, 113-101.

Bryant shot 10-of-20 from the field with nine rebounds, while O’Neal collected nine boards and eight assists while going 9-of-12.

Meanwhile, the Lakers had an unexpected X-factor off the bench in Isaiah Rider, who scored 24 points in just as many minutes.

The trio led the Lakers offense, which was clicking all night by shooting 50.6 percent with 28 assists.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Shaq on Lakers - Videos
by lakersnation.com

Shaq On Lakers Trading Him & Situation With Kobe Bryant

Shaq On Roy Hibbert & Lakers Future, Surprise Pickup Basketball Game With Kids

Shaq Talks Lakers Rebuild, Current Favorite Laker
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Samaki Walker Claims Kobe Bryant Sucker Punched Him Once Over $100 Gambling Debt (audio)
by complex.com

If you ever lose a bet to Kobe Bryant, you better pay up. Immediately. Or else…

That’s apparently the lesson that Kobe’s former teammate Samaki Walker learned more than a decade ago after he lost a $100 bet while playing a game that involved a bunch of different Lakers players shooting half-court shots. Walker was under the impression that he had 48 hours to pay Kobe what he owed. But according to Walker, Kobe approached him a short time after he won the bet and asked for his money. And when Walker didn’t pay up, he claims Kobe punched him in the face on the team bus.

“It was a sucker punch, right to the face,” Walker said on the Brown and Scoop show on the Play.it podcast network. “Out of nowhere."

You can listen to the entire story here (trust us, it's worth it!):

Continued....
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Sina wrote:
Russell and Randle would be on the starting lineup next year and on while currnet starters like Williams, Clarkson, Brown, Nance, Bass/Black may become second lineup. Thus Russell and Randle have to take up more responsibility.

Sina - as much as I have reservations about Russell getting singled out for his defense (I won't defend Randle's) when Williams, Kobe, Clarkson and others were getting burned even worse, I think you make a very good point. If these 2 are to be the cornerstone of the next great franchise, they do need to take responsibility for the team's performance. I can easily see Kobe singling them out because the future of the franchise rests on their improvement more than anyone else. Also, great leaders take responsibility for the whole team.

My one caveat in saying that is that Scott is not leading by example. He deflects responsibility for losses onto the players, and never assumes responsibility on himself for the results. If he wants to foster responsibility he needs to take responsibility.

Still - point well taken.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject:

Post Game Videos - Mavs at Lakers
by lakersnation.com

Dirk Nowitzki Anticipates Big Future For Julius Randle

Byron Scott On D'Angelo Russell's Confidence Vs. Cockiness

D'Angelo Russell After Lakers 90-92 Loss To Dallas Mavericks

Dirk Nowitzki On Kobe Bryant: 'Michael Jordan Of My Generation'
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject:

Kobe Bryant Makes Rookie Larry Nance Jr. Sit On Floor (Video)
by Cody Williams - lakeshowlife.com

An injured Kobe Bryant wanted a spot on the Lakers bench, so he made rookie Larry Nance Jr. sit on the floor

The Los Angeles Lakers and the Dallas Mavericks were doing battle at STAPLES Center on Tuesday night in what was supposed to be the final meeting between Kobe Bryant and Dirk Nowitzki ever.

However, Kobe was physically unable to deliver on that final matchup between two of the NBA’s legends as he had to sit out one Tuesday due to his lingering shoulder soreness. Bryant still wanted to be on the bench for the game, though, and wasn’t going to have any of the Lakers young guys taking his seat.

Early on against the Mavs as the Lakers were coming out of a timeout, Kobe was left without a chair on the end of the bench. Because being the Black Mamba has it’s advantages, he simply motioned to rookie Larry Nance Jr. and the first-year forward got up and sat in the floor to make way for Kobe:

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject:

TDIKH: January 27, 2006
by nba.com

In his first game since his historic 81-point night, Kobe Bryant entered the fourth quarter with only five points, but he finished the game with 30 and a victory.

Bryant poured in 16 fourth-quarter points to force overtime, then added nine in the extra period for a 106-105 win over Golden State.

Bryant told reporters: “It took me three quarters to kind of get the rhythm down on what they were trying to do defensively so I could go into attack mode in the fourth quarter, where I was able to start attacking the basket a little bit and get something going.

Bryant shot just 2-of-12 through the first three frames, but he turned it on in the final period, especially when his team needed it most.

Down by six with 2:13 left, Bryant started a parade to the free throw line. He went 6-of-6 on foul shots the rest o ft. way, including a pair with 7.1 seconds left to tie at the end of regulation.

He then provided nine of Los Angeles’ 12 points in overtime to seal the win.

Bryant — who also had eight assists — shot just 7-of-22 from the field, but hit 14-of-16 at the charity stripe to help fend off double-doubles from Golden State’s Baron Davis (29 points, 10 assists) and Mickael Pietrus (20 points, 10 rebounds).

Continued....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12
Jump to: