News 'n Views - Jan 2016: Byron Scott wants Larry Nance, Jr. and Julius Randle to compete for job as starting power forward
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Julius Randle gave Lakers fans a glimpse of his star potential in loss to Clippers
by Harrison Faigen - silverscreenandroll.com

Julius' game still has warts, but he's currently enjoying a nice upswing

After an eye-popping start to his sophomore season, Julius Randle stagnated a bit. His ability to finish around the rim seemed to desert him, and his jumper was finding everywhere but the bottom of the net. He was still rebounding, but his scoring efficiency still left a lot to be desired.

Randle's rebounding has still been there over the last three Lakers games (grabbing 33.3% of all opponent's misses while on the floor), but his scoring efficiency has skyrocketed. Randle's 46.4% true shooting percentage for the entire season ranks 11th on the Lakers, but in the team's last three games Randle has posted a TS% of 59.4%, a 13% increase and third on the team over that short span (second if you don't count Ryan Kelly, who played just 5 minutes in one of those three contests).

Randle was even better against the Clippers, posting a TS% of 64..8% on his way to a career-high 23 points, and in his mind the key to his success was simple.

"I just let it come to me, I didn't force anything, took the shots that were available," Randle said after the game. "[I am] just trying to stay extremely confident in [my jump shot]... Finding my pace, when and when not to take it. Sometimes I settle too much, sometimes I don't take it enough, so just trying to find that balance and still be aggressive and attack."

Against the Lakers' cross-hall rivals, Randle found that mix, going to the basket without hesitation directly after a catch:

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject:

TDIKH: January 30, 2001
by nba.com

With Shaquille O’Neal out for the second straight game, Kobe Bryant shouldered the Lakers’ offensive load by providing 47 points in 41 minutes.

He poured in 14 points in the third quarter to hand Los Angeles a 19-point lead by the end of the period. But Bryant wasn’t finished, as he added a dozen more in the fourth to key L.A.’s 102-96 win over Cleveland.

Bryant shot 12-of-26 from the field, but Cleveland simply couldn’t keep him off the free throw line, where he went a career-best 23-of-26.

Only nine players have made that many foul shots in one game since, including Bryant again.

Meanwhile, Horace Grant added 19 points, 14 rebounds and three blocks, as the Lakers shrugged off a 25-point game from Andre Miller.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell trying to turn criticism into motivation
by Eric Pincus - latimes.com

After a poor performance in the Lakers' loss to the Chicago Bulls on Thursday, rookie guard D'Angelo Russell called himself out for "lackadaisical" play.

Both Russell and the Lakers were more competitive on Friday, visiting the Clippers, but 18 turnovers doomed the team to their ninth straight loss.

The 19-year old rookie said he's trying to turn the negatives into positives.

"Any time anybody says something bad about me, that means I've got to work. If they say I'm not living up to what my potential is, I've go to work -- and that's every day," said Russell. "LeBron [James] still gets criticism .... You've still got to do something better."

Is he talking to fans or checking with the media? Who specifically is getting to Russell?

"My family is my biggest critic. My boys that I keep in my circle, my brothers that live with me -- they're my biggest critics," he said. "They're the first ones to tell me, 'You stunk it up tonight,' or, 'That kid made you fall."

Throughout the season, Russell has been relatively guarded in his conversations with the media. More recently, he's begun to open up about his motivation, and struggles as a rookie.

"When I play, I'm playing for myself and I'm playing for my family too," said Russell.

He said he was thankful that Lakers Coach Byron Scott even let him off the bench Friday, given how poorly he played on Thursday.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject:

Byron Scott Now Holds the Worst Win-Loss Percentage in LA History
by Eric Yee - lakeshowlife.com

With their latest loss, Byron Scott now holds the worst win-loss percentage in Lakers history

The saying goes, “Men lie, women lie, numbers don’t,” and for fans who’ve been hard on Lakers head coach, Byron Scott, since his hiring, more statistic ammunition has finally arrived.

Per ESPN’s Baxter Holmes’ Twitter account, “The Lakers have had 25 coaches. As of last night, Byron Scott has the worst winning percentage of any of them.”

Scott has made questionable decisions the entire season, from moving young players D’Angelo Russell and Julius Randle to the bench to simply just not having an established offensive scheme, Scott has failed on nearly every front. All except one and in the long run, for Los Angeles, that is actually a good thing.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject:

Tarik Black dominates in D-Fenders 99-90 win over Oklahoma City Blue

The sophomore forward brought plenty of energy and more notes from the D-Fenders victory

The Los Angeles D-Fenders used dominant second and third quarters to hang on for a late 99-90 win over the Oklahoma City Blue on Saturday night, outscoring the Blue by 19 points over those two periods. D-Fenders' guard Vander Blue (and newly named D-League All-Star) Vander Blue continued to demonstrate his prodigious bucket-getting ability, and if Oklahoma City was not already named the Blue, one would think it was just a tribute to the man that lit them up for 31 points on Saturday night. Blue also chipped in 7 rebounds and 4 steals in a well-rounded effort.

Additionally impressive was Los Angeles Lakers forward Tarik Black, who was assigned to the D-Fenders for the night in order to pick up minutes while he continues to be inexplicably benched by head coach Byron Scott with the parent club. Black scored 15 points on 5-7 shooting against the Blue, and also pulled down 14 rebounds and blocked 4 shots in the win.

While he was criticized earlier this year for not playing with enough energy, the game once again showed that is far from an issue for the energetic second-year pro.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject:

Lakers are on the doorstep of some bad history, hoping to avoid a club record-tying 10-game skid
by Mike Bresnahan - latimes.com

The Lakers' young players show the same reaction.

They frown in an animated, taken-aback fashion.

If the Lakers (9-40) lose to Charlotte on Sunday, they tie the franchise record of 10 consecutive defeats.

"Really? The record? Oh my,"
rookie D'Angelo Russell said with sad amazement.

The 1993-94 team managed to lose 10 in a row, a rough season with James Worthy and Kurt Rambis on the downside of their careers.

That team cobbled together 33 victories. This team is on pace to win 15, easily the fewest in the Lakers' 68-year history. The losses have come by an average of 16.6 points since a victory over New Orleans on Jan. 12.

Jordan Clarkson wasn't thrilled to hear about a possible run with infamy.

"We're just trying to get this thing together somehow," he said Friday after the Lakers fell to the Clippers, 105-93.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject:

Julius Randle unlikely to keep starting position
by Mark Medina - dailynews.com

The frustration does not emerge as much in Julius Randle’s body language. His jumper also reaches the basket with more dependable accuracy.

Since moving into the starting lineup seven games ago, a few things have happened for the better. Randle has posted four double-doubles. He has shot 51.4 percent from the field. He has logged just under 30 minutes per contest.

“That’s what he’s supposed to do,” Lakers guard Jordan Clarkson said. “He’s playing hard and competing. He’s doing everything we’ve asked for.”

But that might not be enough for Randle to retain his starting spot when the Lakers (9-40) host the Charlotte Hornets (22-25) on Sunday at Staples Center. Lakers coach Byron Scott has planned to start Larry Nance Jr. after gradually phasing him into the lineup amid a four-game absence last week because of a sore right knee.

“I still love what Julius has done,” Scott said. “But when Larry was in that starting role, he was playing extremely well.”

So has Randle.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Byron Scott wants Larry Nance, Jr. and Julius Randle to compete for job as starting power forward

Scott said he wants to hold an "open" competition between the first and second-year forwards, but the team might be better off seeing if they can play together

Julius Randle has started the last seven games at power forward for the Los Angeles Lakers, averaging 13.4 points on 45% shooting and 11.3 rebounds in 29.6 minutes per game while getting his shot in the starting role. Randle has additionally ranked first on the team in offensive rating among players playing more than 10 minutes per game in that span, with the Lakers scoring 100.6 points per 100 possessions while he is on the floor, better than their season average of 96.9, which ranks second to last in the league. He has demonstrated how he can be a difference maker for the team on that end.

The sophomore forward will get his eight straight start against the Charlotte Hornets on Sunday night as Larry Nance, Jr. will miss another game with his ongoing knee issues. According to Lakers head coach Byron Scott, Randle shouldn't get too comfortable in that role, because while he has played well, Scott liked how the team was performing in Nance, Jr.'s starts and wants to hold an "open competition" for the starting job (As captured by Mark Medina of the L.A. Daily News).

"Absolutely," Scott said. "I want it to be open competition. I think guys should feed off of that... Right now with Julius, because of Larry getting injured, he got that position back. But when Larry's healthy, he'll get it back."

"I don't know if [Nance, Jr. is] better as a starter But I think obviously we've played better at the beginning when he started. That's why I made the change because our starts were terrible in the first quarter. I thought a guy like Larry that brings energy and doesn't demand the ball would be a better fit."

Scott is not wrong about the team generally faring better overall with Nance, Jr. on the floor. While the team has a better offensive rating this season when Randle is on the floor than they post with Nance, Jr. (97.9 vs. 95), the team's defense has been significantly better with Nance, Jr (the rookie has a defensive rating of 106.6 as compared to Randle's 111.1).

Nance, Jr. is clearly a better defender than Randle at this point, which is reflected by the numbers but would probably be even more evident if Nance, Jr. had not spent the majority of him minutes with the otherwise defensively atrocious starting lineup going against opposing starters. The Lakers starters of Jordan Clarkson, Lou Williams, Kobe Bryant, and Roy Hibbert give up 116.6 points per 100 possessions with Nance, Jr. as the power forward, as compared to 127.6 with Randle in that role.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Byron Scott Considering Shutting Down Larry Nance Jr. Until After All-Star Break
by Corey Hansford - lakersnation.com

Very few people knew much about Larry Nance Jr. when the Los Angeles Lakers drafted him with the 27th overall pick, but he has quickly turned into a fan favorite thanks to his high energy and athleticism. Nance even worked himself into the starting lineup as his solid defensive play appealed to head coach Byron Scott.

Unfortunately for Nance, he has been slowed down by a knee injury, missing four straight games before returning to play in the team’s last three.

Scott announced that Nance would miss Sunday’s game against the Charlotte Hornets, and according to Lakers Nation reporter Serena Winters, is considering keeping Nance out until after All-Star Weekend:

Byron says his initial thought w/ Larry Nance (sore knee) is to shut him down until after the All-Star break, will to talk to Vitti first

This isn’t great news for Nance as he was really coming into his own before this knee issue flared up. His offense was continually improving and he is one of the team’s few good defenders.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject:

TDIKH: January 31, 2006
by nba.com

At the World’s Most Famous Arena, the NBA’s top scorer earned the greatest ovation a visitor could receive at Madison Square Garden: “MVP!” chants.

Kobe Bryant ignited for 16 of his 40 points in the first quarter alone to power the Lakers’ 130-97 victory over New York.

Bryant hit only one shot from the field in the second half, but he punished the Knicks at the free throw line. He finished the night by tying his career-high at the foul line (23-of-26).

As a team, the Lakers outscored the Knicks in just about every way, going 39-of-68 (57.4 percent) and hitting three more shots on 18 fewer attempts than their hosts.

Los Angeles also had a 43-20 advantage in made free throws. Led by Bryant — who shot 7-of-17 and had four steals — L.A. outscored New York by at least seven points in each quarter.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Marge Hearn passed away on Saturday night
by Mark Medina - insidesocal.com

Marge Hearn, the widow of former Lakers broadcaster Chick Hearn, died on Saturday night at age 98 of what the Lakers said were due to natural causes.

“We are very sad at the passing of our beloved Marge Hearn,” Lakers president Jeanie Buss said in a statement. “We consider ourselves blessed and fortunate, however, to have had her be a part of the Lakers family for six decades. She was truly the First Lady of the Lakers, sitting alongside her husband, the Voice of the Lakers, Chick Hearn.”

Chick Hearn spent 42 years broadcasting for the Lakers, which entailed calling 3,338 consecutive Lakers games from Nov. 21, 1965-Dec. 16, 2002. The streak stopped after Chick Hearn underwent heart surgery. Chick and Marge Hearn were married from 1938-2002 until Chick passed away.

Marge Heard attended the Lakers’ unveiling of Chick’s statue outside of Staples Center on April 21, 2010. Then, Marge kissed her hand and touched Chick’s bronze lips.

Chick and Marge are survived by their grandaughter (Shannon Hearn) and great-granddaughter (Kayla Hearn-Newman).

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject:

'Big possibility' Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook land in L.A.
by Ryan Ward - examiner.com

Once the 2015-16 NBA season officially comes to an end for the Los Angeles Lakers, things will start to get interesting for the storied NBA franchise. Kobe Bryant will finally walk away from the game after 20 years in Los Angeles, and the Lakers brass will potentially be armed with more cap space than any team in the league.

With an enormous amount of cap space and Bryant no longer in Los Angeles, general manager Mitch Kupchak and company will set their sights on luring superstar Kevin Durant to the Lakers. Although there will be plenty of teams reaching out to Durant this summer, the Lakers may have an advantage. Stephen A. Smith made an appearance on ESPN 710's Mason and Ireland on Friday and explained why the Lakers may be in an excellent position to bring in Durant in free agency:

"Keep in mind this, one of the biggest reasons I'm told, that Kevin Durant may have the Lakers at the top of his list, is because the Lakers have been led to believe, by whom specifically I do not know, but the Lakers have been led to believe that it is a very good chance that the following year Russell Westbrook is coming."

Durant's future will continue to be a hot topic of discussion with the one-time NBA MVP yet to make a decision publicly about whether he'll re-sign with the Oklahoma City Thunder or seriously consider other teams come July 1.

The Washington Wizards, New York Knicks, and even the defending NBA champion Golden State Warriors may make a run at Durant in free agency this summer. The Lakers brass will have their work cut out for them to land the biggest name on the free-agent market, but Smith believes they've got a great chance of getting him to sign long-term via ESPN 710:

"It's a big possibility," Smith said. "It's a big possibility."

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject:

How will Kobe Bryant handle his post-NBA career?
by Mark Medina - dailynews.com

The words sounded powerful to Kobe Bryant as he heard Michael Jordan gush about his on-court achievements.

Jordan praised Bryant’s competitiveness. Jordan complimented Bryant’s skills. Jordan highlighted Bryant’s influence on the NBA’s current generation.

Jordan, the Charlotte Hornets owner, spoke those words in a video tribute in Bryant’s final trip to Charlotte last month. It meant a lot to Bryant, who tried to be like Mike with his sharp fundamentals, thirst for championships and demanding personality.

Then, Jordan offered some perspective that could help Bryant with the next chapter once his 20th and final NBA season ends.

“Your next career is going to be something I’m pretty sure you will have to figure out,” Jordan said in the video tribute. “From a competitive standpoint, I’m pretty sure you’re just like me. You’re going to have to find ways to utilize that competitive drive.”

The Lakers (9-40) host the Charlotte Hornets (22-25) on Sunday at Staples Center, giving Bryant exactly 33 games before he will have to sweat out those competitive juices elsewhere. For once, Bryant will not try to be like Mike with how he handles his post-NBA career.

Bryant shot down any scenario he would reconsider retirement. Jordan did that twice, which led both to three more NBA titles with the Chicago Bulls (1996-98) and an underwhelming stint with the Washington Wizards (2001-03).

Bryant also ruled out having any ownership, front office or coaching role with any sports team. Jordan oversaw Charlotte’s basketball operations in 2006 before becoming the franchise’s majority owner in 2010. Jordan has overseen Charlotte making only two NBA playoff appearances and getting swept both times in the first round.

How will Bryant channel his basketball greatness into something else?

“Basketball or whatever sport you play, it comes easy,” Bryant said. “You were born and this is what you did at a young age. It’s very hard to figure out what the next thing is. But I’ll be fine.”

Continued....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12
Jump to: