Is Steph Curry on the same level as Kobe (in his prime)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
^ You're being too sensitive about this. I don't think most people are saying Curry is better than Kobe. Is that what you thought?

It's whether what Curry is doing this season, is right up there in terms of dominance, the way some of Kobe's seasons were.

It's not really Curry vs Kobe. It's Curry's play vs a standard of play.

the distinction doesn't make any sense.

i actually do think people are saying curry is better than kobe. i don't think all the comments i am hearing are being as subtle as what you wrote there...and it is very subtle.

Of course you do. You can tell from your posts. I think we all need to regain some perspective. Because we can't even compare primes yet. Curry's still in his.

So anyone comparing entire primes, on either side of the discussion, would be a moot point since Curry's prime is ongoing.

To me, there is only one discussion. Is what Curry doing comparable, to the level of domination we saw with Kobe? I think it is comparable.

My favorite part about this debate is that I see a lot of the same people who have said Kobe is better than Jordan because Kobe faced zone defenses and had a better jumper. And thus, Jordan wouldn't have fared as well in the 2000s as he did in the 90s. Meanwhile, Curry is currently demolishing zone defenses with a far superior jumper than Kobe's and now the argument is Curry couldn't do this in the 90s. Before my post gets misconstrued by agenda-driven posters, I am not advocating that either Curry or Jordan are better than Kobe. What I am illustrating is how conveniently the goal posts and criteria shift depending on the desired outcome. I'm not going to name names, but if your criteria consistently changes, it's clear that your criteria is essentially worthless because your opinion was already formed and you backwards rationalize "supporting" reasoning.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject:

I can't believe this thread is still here....
Prime Kobe vs prime curry one on one, who wins?
If AI was in this GS team, he would score more than curry.
If you put curry in that lakers team Kobe was in, no way they make the playoffs
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
^ You're being too sensitive about this. I don't think most people are saying Curry is better than Kobe. Is that what you thought?

It's whether what Curry is doing this season, is right up there in terms of dominance, the way some of Kobe's seasons were.

i actually do think people are saying curry is better than kobe. i don't think all the comments i am hearing are being as subtle as what you wrote there...and it is very subtle.

Of course you do. You can tell from your posts. I think we all need to regain some perspective. Because we can't even compare primes yet. Curry's still in his.

So anyone comparing entire primes, on either side of the discussion, would be a moot point since Curry's prime is ongoing.

To me, there is only one discussion. Is what Curry doing comparable, to the level of domination we saw with Kobe? I think it is comparable.

My favorite part about this debate is that I see a lot of the same people who have said Kobe is better than Jordan because Kobe faced zone defenses and had a better jumper. And thus, Jordan wouldn't have fared as well in the 2000s as he did in the 90s. Meanwhile, Curry is currently demolishing zone defenses with a far superior jumper than Kobe's and now the argument is Curry couldn't do this in the 90s. Before my post gets misconstrued by agenda-driven posters, I am not advocating that either Curry or Jordan are better than Kobe. What I am illustrating is how conveniently the goal posts and criteria shift depending on the desired outcome. I'm not going to name names, but if your criteria consistently changes, it's clear that your criteria is essentially worthless because your opinion was already formed and you backwards rationalize "supporting" reasoning.

If you are thinking the debate is about who is better then you do not understand what the debate is about.
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Curry is allowed to play one on one every night because his team is so loaded. And he plays zero defense. Comparing him to prime Kobe is ridiculous IMO
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KBH wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

If you are thinking the debate is about who is better then you do not understand what the debate is about.

If you think that's what I was saying you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. I explicitly stated that I wasn't advocating for any player above another. I was making a point regarding shifting argumentation depending on the players involved. But I know you've well-established yourself as LG's resident contrarian no matter the subject. VLF gon' VLF.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Yeah, I agree with you. Bottom line, if we're thin-slicing to the point where we're talking about nuances of players' eras, we're essentially saying they're comparable.

We don't need to get there with a guy like Klay Thompson. Or Bradley Beal. Or even Carmelo Anthony or Dwayne Wade. We don't get to that point because there's no basis for comparison there.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject:

If curry was on prime Kobe's teams he would be option B or 2b (with Gasol as 1b) or he would be behind Kobe and Shaq in the pecking order on the 2000 to 2002 teams. He'd be considered a valuable outside shooter, nothing more.

To sum it up, no, he's not on Kobes level

Now Mcgrady at his peak or Durant, those guys are more in Kobes league.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
If curry was on prime Kobe's teams he would be option B or 2b (with Gasol as 1b) or he would be behind Kobe and Shaq in the pecking order on the 2000 to 2002 teams. He'd be considered a valuable outside shooter, nothing more.

You do know that what Curry is doing right now, has never been done before, by anyone, right?

But that McGrady, oh boy, watch out!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject:

Kobe2Clark wrote:
Curry is allowed to play one on one every night because his team is so loaded. And he plays zero defense. Comparing him to prime Kobe is ridiculous IMO

Not really. You can make an argument that Curry is having a season that is better than any season that Kobe ever had. Heck, Curry is on pace to set the all time record for single season PER, higher than any season by Wilt or Lebron. His defense rates a lot better than Kobe by statistical measures. Actually, the argument is pretty overwhelming in favor of Curry. The argument for Kobe is reliant on the usual mix of claims about teammates, rules, competition, etc. (or irrelevant stuff like who would win one-on-one). That's all great, but it's really not a close discussion.

If Curry manages to stay healthy and string together five to six seasons at this level, he's going to go down as one of the greatest players ever. We just need to accept that, if Curry racks up a string of seasons playing at an otherworldly level that no one else can match, he deserves full credit for it. This does not diminish Kobe.

I have a funny feeling that this is not going to happen, though. I won't surprised if Curry has the First Big Injury by the end of this season.
fredthered
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject:

before the start of this season, this post would give people a laugh
Money23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject:

https://t.co/fet1lITrBU

Horry says Curry is better the Kobe in his prime hmmm offensively

Former NBA player Robert Horry was put on the spot during an interview with Justin Termine on SiriusXM NBA Radio when asked to choose between Stephen Curry and peak Kobe Bryant as the most dangerous offensive player.

Horry, who played six and a half years and won three NBA championships next to Bryant, surprisingly picked Curry.

“Kobe in his prime really wasn’t that great of a three-point shooter,” Horry said. “He was a drive, get-to-the-hole, dunk-on-you type of guy. Steph can drive and float you. He can shoot it from half court. You have to guard him at all times.”
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject:

Money23 wrote:
https://t.co/fet1lITrBU

Horry says Curry is better the Kobe in his prime hmmm offensively

Former NBA player Robert Horry was put on the spot during an interview with Justin Termine on SiriusXM NBA Radio when asked to choose between Stephen Curry and peak Kobe Bryant as the most dangerous offensive player.

Horry, who played six and a half years and won three NBA championships next to Bryant, surprisingly picked Curry.

“Kobe in his prime really wasn’t that great of a three-point shooter,” Horry said. “He was a drive, get-to-the-hole, dunk-on-you type of guy. Steph can drive and float you. He can shoot it from half court. You have to guard him at all times.”

The same Kobe who holds the record for three-point shots made in a game?

Kobe wasn't a bad three-point shooter. He wasn't elite, but he was above average. That being said, the pace didn't favor three-point shooting teams. He mastered the art of the midrange and didn't have to rely on three-point shots. Prime Kobe in today's league would be a good three point shooter. He'd adapt easily.

Horry also said he'd take Hakeem over Shaq, so take what he says with a grain of salt.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

You do know that what Curry is doing right now, has never been done before, by anyone, right?

he's a deadly accurate shooter playing against zone on a team loaded with deadly accurate shooters. Kobe was dominating on substandard teams against double and triple teams. People need to put down the stat sheets, and re-watch Kobe's past games and compare them to Curry's present.

Put curry, on the teams with Smush, Kwame....well through LO in there too and lets watch him dominate like Kobe did
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
I can't believe this thread is still here....
Prime Kobe vs prime curry one on one, who wins?
If AI was in this GS team, he would score more than curry.
If you put curry in that lakers team Kobe was in, no way they make the playoffs

If AI was on this Warriors team, their ball movement would suck. Also, AI was a volume scorer who couldn't shoot anywhere close to Curry.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject:

If AI was on GSW, they'd be a lottery team/1st round exit. Green and Thompson are so successful because of the culture embedded by Kerr and the way how Curry plays so effectively within the system. AI was just a selfish, inefficient ballhog.
gorila
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

seriously it's disgusting how several nba fans are undervauling what Curry is doing right now, Kobe did it for more years than Curry, being elite, but lets not pretend what curry is doing right now is not special.. I've even read somewhere in this thread that curry wouldn't be nothing if he played in the 80's. Disgusting.
gorila
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject:

Also it's kinda funny how everyone probably thought this would be still Lebrons era and here comes this guy taking it away
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject:

Can we all just agree that what Steph Curry is doing is unparalleled and move on? I feel ashamed knowing that fans of other teams are reading this thread and forming in their head a stereotype of the average delusional Laker fans.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

gorila wrote:
Also it's kinda funny how everyone probably thought this would be still Lebrons era and here comes this guy taking it away

Yeah, the script said that the baton would go from Lebron to Durant. No one saw Curry coming.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
gorila wrote:

Yeah, the script said that the baton would go from Lebron to Durant. No one saw Curry coming.

part of the reason why no one saw curry coming is because it is partly a creation. media and the warriors have really run with the idea that curry is responsible for all this vs the sophisticated strategy they've come up...which is such that you can stick any talented 3point shooter in curry's spot and it will do fine.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject:

no, not yet. Curry is a game changer, but I don't think he could carry a team, while consistently getting doubled and triple teamed and still dominate. He doesn't have to carry his team or get doubled or tripled, but he hasn't shown he has that capability. when he goes out, the team is still a playoff team and Klay becomes the star. Steph never had to play with a kwame, smush, etc. type of talent team and carry them to the playoffs. we could also talk about the level of defensive competition in this era; I could go on, but no, not yet.

Last edited by Outspoken on Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
gorila
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
gorila wrote:

part of the reason why no one saw curry coming is because it is partly a creation. media and the warriors have really run with the idea that curry is responsible for all this vs the sophisticated strategy they've come up...which is such that you can stick any talented 3point shooter in curry's spot and it will do fine.
"partly a creation" You cannot be serious, Curry created his own destiny by hard work, nothing has been made up about his amazing season.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
gorila wrote:

Oh right, the media again. Is this what folks resort to when there are no more straws to grasp? It's, frankly, embarrassing.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
gorila wrote:

Oh right, the media again. Is this what folks resort to when there are no more straws to grasp? It's, frankly, embarrassing.

that's right, the media. it's embarrassing that you don't acknowledge the role of media in all of this. it's a big part of the basketball world, you know.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
gorila wrote:

Curry is shooting 43% from 27 feet plus. To put this in perspective, you're elite if you hit that percentage from midrange. But yeah, Curry is just any three point shooter. lmao
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 24 of 73
Jump to: