ESPN Films announces a 30 for 30 on the 1990s Orlando Magic to air April 14th

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: ESPN Films announces a 30 for 30 on the 1990s Orlando Magic to air April 14th

http://orlandomagicdaily.com/2016/01/07/espn-films-announces-1990s-orlando-magic-30-for-30/

Quote:

ESPN Films announces 1990s Orlando Magic 30 for 30

What if I told you?… ESPN will answer that question this April when it debuts a 30 for 30 documentary on the mid-1990s Orlando Magic

The critically acclaimed 30 for 30 documentary series on ESPN will turn its attention to the mid-90s Orlando Magic in April, ESPN Films announced.

In the latest batch of 30 for 30 documentaries, ESPN Films will profile the 1985 Chicago Bears that won the Super Bowl, the Duke Lacrosse scandal, the connection between Darryl Strawberry and Dwight Gooden with the New York Mets and, in a first for the series, a multi-part miniseries examining O.J. Simpson.

Magic fans though will surely be glued to their TVs for that April premiere date of the documentary on one of the most interesting and promising teams of that era. Orlando Magic fans certainly look back at those mid-90s teams as the greatest in franchise history and the most promise the team has ever had to win a title.

The documentary was produced by the stars of that team, Shaquille O’Neal and Anfernee Hardaway, so there is the potential for it getting a bit too nostalgic and not diving deep enough into the story of the rise and fall of that stellar team.

It was directed by Erin Leyden, who previously directed the documentary The ’99ers for ESPN’s 9 for IX series examining women’s sports. The ’99ers used handheld camera footage taken during the U.S. Women’s National Team’s run to the World Cup title in the 1999 World Cup, an iconic moment in women’s sports and in U.S. sports history.

Leyden was a senior producer for 16 episodes of the 30 for 30 documentary series. And The ’99ers was a very good documentary. The storytelling was in very good hands and Magic fans should look forward to seeing the final product. It is the only documentary she has previously directed.

The mid-90s Magic have become a bit of a fascination 20 years now since the team surprisingly upset Michael Jordan and reached the NBA Finals in 1995.

Last April, Jonathan Abrams wrote an oral history of the team for Grantland, going into the rise and fall of the young team that had so much promise.

During All-Star Weekend in Orlando in 2012, Shaquille O’Neal, Anfernee Hardaway and Dennis Scott sat down for one of the first frank and honest conversations the stars of the team have had about those years since they retired:

That Magic team still holds a lot of resonance and fascination even 20 years after its break up. Shaquille O’Neal and Anfernee Hardaway certainly still resonate with the fans in Orlando and around the NBA world.

The 30 for 30 will hopefully recapture the hope and excitement of those teams and introduce the team again to a younger and national audience.

Of course, in the end, the story is a tragedy. A footnote in the story of Michael Jordan in the larger NBA narrative. The 30 for 30 series though is supposed to memorialize these kind of stories.

It will be good to see the Magic and this team specifically get their turn.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2016/03/espn-films-30-30-volume-iii-continues-magic-moment-premiering-april-14/

Quote:
ESPN Films’ 30 for 30 Volume III Continues with “This Magic Moment” Premiering April 14

Documentary Executive Produced by Shaquille O’Neal and Penny Hardaway Looks at the Rise and Fall of the Orlando Magic in the Mid-90s

ESPN Films’ Peabody and Emmy Award-winning 30 for 30 documentary series returns with “This Magic Moment” on Thursday, April 14, at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN. The film will chronicle the birth and rapid growth of the Orlando Magic franchise in the 1990s, with the help of Shaquille O’Neal and Penny Hardaway.

They were a fairy tale team in a fairy tale setting, with a cast of larger-than-life characters and a Cinderella plot line that featured magical Ping-Pong balls and a talking puppet. For four years in the mid-1990s, Orlando offered one of the most captivating shows in the NBA, both on and off the court.

Directed by Gentry Kirby (“Abby Head On”) and Erin Leyden (“The 99ers,” “Abby Head On”), “This Magic Moment” explores those heady days when Shaq and Penny ruled not only pro basketball, but popular culture as well. The film features in-depth testimony from the two stars as well as the executives, coaches, teammates, observers and opponents who were there for the stardust—and the breaking of the spell. Laced with archival footage, “This Magic Moment” is not only a trip down memory lane, but also a tale of what might have been.

“Orlando will always mean a lot to me,” O’Neal said. “Making this film truly made me realize what could have been. We were young, we were having fun, and the fans were coming out in full force. I can only imagine how much we could have done if we stayed together.”

Added Hardaway: “The memories I have of my time playing with the Magic and Shaq will last a lifetime. It might not have ended the way we all wanted, but the journey was legendary and it was great to reflect on that while producing this piece.”

Hardaway and O’Neal earned All-NBA honors as they helped make the Orlando Magic one of the top teams in the league in 1995 and 1996 before O’Neal left for the Lakers. The film will premiere at the 15th annual Tribeca Film Festival on the same evening of the ESPN debut. Advance film screener available for press upon request.

“It’s been fun for us to have Shaq and Penny involved and to give their inside account of how it all came together and how it all fell apart,” said ESPN Films vice president and executive producer John Dahl. “It’s easy for that story to get lost in the dominance of the Bulls in the 90’s and what happened in LA after Shaq went to the Lakers, but the Orlando Magic captured the imagination of so many fans at the time.”
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Is this gonna be the kind of 30/30 where they pretend Penny didn't get injured for the sake of the storyline (ie: that Shaq and Penny woulda won 2,3,4 titles there)? In other words, will it be like the one about Petrovich, where they lied about him scoring 40 on MJ and claimed he gave Mike problems on D in general?

The one who screwed them up more than anyone was Nick Anderson. That dude couldn't hit a big free throw to save his life. He was Orlando's John Starks. Not only was he streaky as hell, but you could see the panicked expression as he stood at the line on those foul shots.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject:

I think it's a worthwhile story, they were an uber-talented and young team that looked poised to be a dynasty, and just fell apart into nothing.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject:

Yeah, they looked poised for greatness, but that's a recurring story in the NBA, where misfortune and mismanagement ruin emergent teams.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Yeah, they looked poised for greatness, but that's a recurring story in the NBA, where misfortune and mismanagement ruin emergent teams.

Yeah it's not that unique. People are just obsessed with that team for whatever reason.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject:

Saw it. They brought up the point that Penny was hampered by knee injuries beginning the same year Shaq left, but they glossed over the very obvious implications of that when the parties involved talked about how they would've won X number of titles had Shaq stayed. They weren't going to win titles with Penny being a knee case in 97. They got to the Finals in 95 because he was a superstar. Duh...

This was a fairly weak one on new info save for a few tidbits on how they mishandled Shaq's extension. I browse RealGM to the detriment of mind, body, and soul. The average age of their frequent posters is probably between 23-26 and they seem to understand the gist of the mid-90s Orlando Magic. Shaq going to LA was too major a story for younger fan to have never bothered to investigate. Then add in playing against Jordan/Bulls in 95 and 96 -- Nick Anderson's steal on Mike in #45 etc. You play those Bulls teams and you're not gonna fall into obscurity only 20 yrs later. Not the worst 30/30, but not the most enthralling.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject:

I enjoyed it. I didn't know:

- How Penny and his agent worked their way to Orlando. That was pure hustle and smart.
- That Orlando was being cheap with Shaq. That was idiotic.
- That Shaq and Penny were beefing over whose team it was.
- That Shaq's mental state was so weak at the time. He didn't fight till the end vs Houston or Chicago. It's like he accepted defeat.
- I hadn't seen any of those Rocket postgame scenes from G1 before. Minor, but still cool to see Dream and Drexler discussing the game winning tip.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Yeah it's not that unique. People are just obsessed with that team for whatever reason.

They were one of the few teams to beat the Bulls, albeit this was MJ wearing the number 45....
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject:

No matter how many times the story of the Nick Anderson FTs gets told, it never fails to amaze me. That may have been the greatest choke in this history of the NBA Finals. It's right there with Bill Buckner's croquet moment, Jackie Smith's drop in the end zone, and Chris Webber's time out.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject:

It's amazing that some of the players in this league weren't even born when Shaq/Penny was happening. Okay, I'm just old.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
It's amazing that some of the players in this league weren't even born when Shaq/Penny was happening. Okay, I'm just old.

Yet, KG is still supposed to be playing next year....
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:

- How Penny and his agent worked their way to Orlando. That was pure hustle and smart.
- That Shaq's mental state was so weak at the time. He didn't fight till the end vs Houston or Chicago. It's like he accepted defeat.

- I hadn't seen any of those Rocket postgame scenes from G1 before. Minor, but still cool to see Dream and Drexler discussing the game winning tip.

Those 3 were pretty well established. Orlando was given many opportunities to sign Shaq first but didn't budge, to the Lakers' benefit of course. Shaq/Penny fighting was also pretty well chronicled at the time as well. Shaq had a defeatist attitude knowing that his team, i.e. Nick Anderson, choked 4 freaking free-throws and then promptly rolled over in the next 3 games.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Those 3 were pretty well established. Orlando was given many opportunities to sign Shaq first but didn't budge, to the Lakers' benefit of course. Shaq/Penny fighting was also pretty well chronicled at the time as well. Shaq had a defeatist attitude knowing that his team, i.e. Nick Anderson, choked 4 freaking free-throws and then promptly rolled over in the next 3 games.

Add:
- the Magic's bench was horrible and the investment was not pouring
- the bulls they beat were the '95 ones, with a rusty MJ
- Horace Grant had entered his 30s at the time
- Dennis Scott was way overrated - 1-D should have been the nickname
- Nick Anderson was way overrated before the choke (never an All Star for some reason)

A healthy Penny would've maybe taken a Shaq-less magic to a couple of 2nd rounds, nothing more.
He would have traded injured or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Add:
- the Magic's bench was horrible and the investment was not pouring
- the bulls they beat were the '95 ones, with a rusty MJ
- Horace Grant had entered his 30s at the time
- Dennis Scott was way overrated - 1-D should have been the nickname
- Nick Anderson was way overrated before the choke (never an All Star for some reason)

A healthy Penny would've maybe taken a Shaq-less magic to a couple of 2nd rounds, nothing more.
He would have traded injured or not.

Disagree about Nick Anderson being overrated before the choke. The choke did him in though. I still remember watching that and you could just see him melt away. Very few times you see a career you know isn't going to recover from this.

The magic being cheap really ultimately did it all in. Yes they got Horace Grant, but they were low balling Shaq. Who knew it was the Miami Heat deal with Zo that essentially got Shaq to LA. Shaq seemed like he was willing to take less until he saw that offer. Then all bets were off for him.

The thing is, and the Cavs figured this out too and frankly got a second chance here. When you have a once in a generation talent, you can't go cheap at that point (PS OKC also screwed this up with dealing Harden for horse manuer).

The value of a franchise goes up when you have a history of success, and so many small market teams forget this. If Orlando had paid Shaq his money they would have had 2-4 rings. Which then ups that franchises value long term in unique ways... not to mention you cash in on the years you're a title winner with merchandise sales, advertising revenues, etc.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Saw it. They brought up the point that Penny was hampered by knee injuries beginning the same year Shaq left, but they glossed over the very obvious implications of that when the parties involved talked about how they would've won X number of titles had Shaq stayed. They weren't going to win titles with Penny being a knee case in 97. They got to the Finals in 95 because he was a superstar. Duh...

This was a fairly weak one on new info save for a few tidbits on how they mishandled Shaq's extension. I browse RealGM to the detriment of mind, body, and soul. The average age of their frequent posters is probably between 23-26 and they seem to understand the gist of the mid-90s Orlando Magic. Shaq going to LA was too major a story for younger fan to have never bothered to investigate. Then add in playing against Jordan/Bulls in 95 and 96 -- Nick Anderson's steal on Mike in #45 etc. You play those Bulls teams and you're not gonna fall into obscurity only 20 yrs later. Not the worst 30/30, but not the most enthralling.

thanks. truth.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: