I'm not convince the Warriors are better than the Spurs.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thehotsung8701A
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: I'm not convince the Warriors are better than the Spurs.

I didn't get to watch the game live so I re-watch the entire game again last night and the box score doesn't do the game justice.

There was too many uncaring turnovers that really seem like the Spurs did it on purpose. Turnover that not even bad teams would make that often in such a short span. LMA was just awful and was not even close to a starting PF level. I know he probably not as good as he was on the Blazers but this is uncanny of him. Another thing that really stand out is how Leonard only got 6 shot attempts.

Then there the fact that for some mysterious reason, Duncan is not in this game... oh POP you....

My conclusion is the Warriors play their A game while the Spurs were probably just testing the water. The Spurs player didn't seem to care about this game nor did they really feel frustrated. Pop didn't care and neither did the rest of the team.

If the Spurs play their A game and LMA putting up 20/10 along with having Duncan back with Parker and Ginobili who need to play better and Green to have a more productive game while having Leonard carry the team with more than six attempt, I think the Spurs can easily beat the Warriors in a 7 game series.

The Spurs purposely threw this game away to see what are the strength of the Warriors and who could be a bright spot for the Spurs. The Spurs learn that Bohan and Simmon provide good bench and with Simmon a guy who not afraid of the moment and can drive to the basket. The Spurs learn that David West, Boris Diaw, and Rasual Butler who are all veteran are not afraid of big games and make the Spurs bench very good.

Also if worst come to worst, the Spurs would have Leonard guard Curry all game but Curry wasn't really needed for this game. There was no drop-off in production when Livingston sub in for Curry.

I think the Spurs got a lot of people fool in last night game. It all about testing the water for Pop and seeing what adjustment need to be made. Pop didn't show any of his card today and if you look at Pop and the players while they were on the bench after losing by 20+, they seem very calm and collected and didn't seem to care or took this game as a playoff game. There is a big different between playing your best and losing to the Warriors by 30 and there is a different between playing your worst and not caring and losing by 30.

By the time the playoff roll around, the Spurs will make it to the final.

That my analyse so let me know what you guys think.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject:

The box score didn't do that game justice because the Warriors called off the dogs in the 4th. Duncan doesn't swing that game, not even close.
thehotsung8701A
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
The box score didn't do that game justice because the Warriors called off the dogs in the 4th. Duncan doesn't swing that game, not even close.

I think the Spurs have gotten everyone fool including those on realgm. But pop doesn't fool me, he operate and work very similar to Phil Jackson and their mind games.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject:

So basically you're saying Pop threw the game?

I've seen that theory tossed around
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject:

The Warriors were clearly the better team last night. They won by 30 points for God's sake. This isn't 2005 Duncan so I doubt he would've made enough of a difference in that margin of defeat. The Warriors forced those turnovers with great defense. They were suffocating. Green did a great job pushing Aldridge away from the box. Curry got into the lane at will, but also disrupted the Spurs rhythm with his quick and active hands. Golden State had a number of off ball cuts to the basket. Green and Bogut did a great job dissecting the Spurs defense. The Spurs simply got beat.

Last edited by Lakers2015 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
thehotsung8701A
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Yes that what I'm saying. The Spurs did not even play their C game much less D game last night. They are just testing the water and see what strength the Warriors process. Basically none of the cards that Pop has for the playoff was presented but at the same time now the Spurs know all of the Warriors hand because Kerr isn't as smart as Pop.

Pop know what he doing. He knows the Warriors strength but the Warriors don't know what the Spurs true strength are.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject:

You may be right with Pop, but I still think the Warriors are just that good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

The only thing Pop did was sit Tim. It was a win/win for him to do so. GSW wins and it's "we didn't have our whole roster". If Spurs won, it would have been "holy cow, they just beat you guys without their anchor". Brilliant on Pop's part.

As far as willfully throwing the game? I've heard that supposition and it doesn't fly for me. So the collective Spurs decided to miss baskets and turn the ball over. Aldridge intentionally put up a stinker to the point that he had to shut down his Twitter as he was being harassed so bad by Spurs fans (sad but true).
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject:

One thing people don't seem to realize.
There's the regular season.
Then there's the playoffs.

The playoffs are a different animal and season.

For teams like the Spurs, the guys have been there so many years and so many times - they'll always choose the playoffs as the time to bring it.

I think it'll be interesting to see what happens in the playoffs. I also think match up wise, OKC is a strong match up for the Warriors, in regards to having someone that can go back at Curry, a wing that can attack just as much as Curry can and athletic big like Ibaka who can play 5 to match small. They can go Ibaka/Durant/Roberston/Waiters/Westbrook which matches up well with them IMO.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject:

The notion that the Spurs threw the game is preposterous. Pop is certainly clever, but even he is not going to throw a big, nationally televised game just to test out another team. The playoffs are all about mental edge and regular season games like this between potential rivals mean something. So the Spurs played possum. The Warriors still go into the next game with tons of confidence that they can beat the Spurs.

Both coaches have stuff they're not showing. That is always how it goes in the playoffs. But seriously, what information was there to be gleaned from throwing the game? Did they find out that Curry can shoot from anywhere he feels like, anytime, with any defender, and pretty much make it most of the time? Cause their take away message should be that the best defender in the league cannot hang with Curry, ergo game over.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Kawahi Leonard needs to take more than 7 shots.
thehotsung8701A
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
The notion that the Spurs threw the game is preposterous. Pop is certainly clever, but even he is not going to throw a big, nationally televised game just to test out another team. The playoffs are all about mental edge and regular season games like this between potential rivals mean something. So the Spurs played possum. The Warriors still go into the next game with tons of confidence that they can beat the Spurs.

Both coaches have stuff they're not showing. That is always how it goes in the playoffs. But seriously, what information was there to be gleaned from throwing the game? Did they find out that Curry can shoot from anywhere he feels like, anytime, with any defender, and pretty much make it most of the time? Cause their take away message should be that the best defender in the league cannot hang with Curry, ergo game over.

Think about it. I got a good look at this game cause I didn't watch it live so I can pause the action and slow it down. Pop didn't call a timeout when Warriors went on a run. He didn't even stand up at all all game or yell at his player or the ref when they made careless boneheaded play nor complaint about calls to the ref. He sat in his chair the whole time. He took out Danny Green and put in Simmon even though Green a great transitional defensive player. He pull Leonard out so early when they were only down by 20 points in the third. He let Parker and Mills get abuse by Curry to make a statement and to bring them down to earth.

Pop wasn't his usual self and neither was the spurs. Look at their press conference, they didn't give a damn about this game. They treated it as a practice game. Sure they try some but they didn't game plan and it was just another meaningless game for them. The Spurs are all about the playoff and even during their championship year, they have had 30 points blowout before. Remember when the Heat dismantle the Spurs every game in the regular season only to get their butt handed to them by the Spurs in the final?
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject:

the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject:

I don't think the Spurs tanked vs. the Warriors, but I wouldn't be surprised to discover that some mild sandbagging was afoot, either. As we've all seen, Pop clearly isn't above that level of maneuvering for some advantage. And I like Steve Kerr a lot, but I've known a few individuals over the years who know him pretty well (unrelated to the NBA), and none of these characterize his as a particularly elite mind. In that same vein, I think anybody drawing rigid conclusions based on the outcome of a game in late January is either unfamiliar with the ebb-and-flow of NBA seasons, bereft of intellectual curiosity, trolling for attention, or a Warriors frontrunner needing to believe that one game is a sign from above. Whether you're backing the Warriors or the Spurs, you badly want to win that game. But I'm afraid it just doesn't mean that much in the big picture ...

Wake me up in May ...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject:

thehotsung8701A wrote:
Remember when the Heat dismantle the Spurs every game in the regular season only to get their butt handed to them by the Spurs in the final?

The Heat and Spurs played two games in the regular season in the year where the Spurs beat the Heat in the finals.

The Spurs lost the first game where Green and Kwami sat out. The Spurs beat the Heat by 24 points the next time they played.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject:

thehotsung8701A wrote:
RG73 wrote:

Think about it. I got a good look at this game cause I didn't watch it live so I can pause the action and slow it down. Pop didn't call a timeout when Warriors went on a run. He didn't even stand up at all all game or yell at his player or the ref when they made careless boneheaded play nor complaint about calls to the ref. He sat in his chair the whole time. He took out Danny Green and put in Simmon even though Green a great transitional defensive player. He pull Leonard out so early when they were only down by 20 points in the third. He let Parker and Mills get abuse by Curry to make a statement and to bring them down to earth.

Pop wasn't his usual self and neither was the spurs. Look at their press conference, they didn't give a damn about this game. They treated it as a practice game. Sure they try some but they didn't game plan and it was just another meaningless game for them. The Spurs are all about the playoff and even during their championship year, they have had 30 points blowout before. Remember when the Heat dismantle the Spurs every game in the regular season only to get their butt handed to them by the Spurs in the final?

I'd put money that the bolded is what is going on. I don't think they "threw" the game. The bolded is somewhat common for championship contending teams, PJ did it often with the Lakers.

The Spurs are most likely hiding some strategies more so than the Warriors. The Warriors don't need to hide right now, they need to just continue dominating. We will see the Warriors make some adjustments, I'm guessing, once teams figure out some strategies that work against Curry.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Playoff veteran teams aren't going to show their entire hand during the regular season when they know they'll probably meet in the future in the playoffs. Does it mean they are throwing away games? No, but they aren't going to go all in just to win a regular season game. If they feel like the game is out of hand they will bench their starters so they can get rest for their next game. Meanwhile, in the playoffs usually a loss is more critical this is why teams don't quit even when they are down 20+ pts.
thehotsung8701A
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
thehotsung8701A wrote:
RG73 wrote:

I'd put money that the bolded is what is going on. I don't think they "threw" the game. The bolded is somewhat common for championship contending teams, PJ did it often with the Lakers.

The Spurs are most likely hiding some strategies more so than the Warriors. The Warriors don't need to hide right now, they need to just continue dominating. We will see the Warriors make some adjustments, I'm guessing, once teams figure out some strategies that work against Curry.

I notice Leonard on Barnes was working for a few possession and Pop notice it too so it quickly got Leonard out of the game because he know what match up work. He saving all the match-up advantage for the playoff.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject:

thehotsung8701A wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
thehotsung8701A wrote:
RG73 wrote:

I notice Leonard on Barnes was working for a few possession and Pop notice it too so it quickly got Leonard out of the game because he know what match up work. He saving all the match-up advantage for the playoff.

Anyone on Barnes has been working since he returned from his ankle injury. He has played poorly on offense, period. I'm sure even if Barnes was on top of his game Leonard could at least slow him down, but who cares? He's hardly the engine that drives that team.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject:

The Spurs usually control pace a lot better. It did appear, as if Pops let them 'play more freely' which isn't a really good thing exactly for this team. Resulted in tons of TO's. Maybe he was doing it for ammo to use against his team down the road or in the playoffs.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject:

They have the best player. And a great (bleep) team.

That is enough for them to prevail.

As if Duncan would have made a difference against Curry.

Yeah, he could have been freelancing against a 6'3" guard out there.

His ballhandling and poise is really good. And his control of tempo is pretty good too. He reminds me of Nash making the defense fall asleep with his dribbling and keeping control. But this man is so much better.

And then his (bleep) shot. Yeah, it's good that such a skilled player pretty much took over the top spot from Kobe. It may not have been LeBron that was meant to be the chosen one.

And Curry's play is just so much more beautiful to watch.

LeBron looks like a mechanical bull out there. His post-ups look ridiculous. He looks so stiff.

I wonder if the LeBron jockers moved onto Curry now.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
gill2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject:

#1 defensive team in the NBA... gets burned by 30 by the best team in the league and defending champions.

Haters gonna hate...
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: I'm not convince the Warriors are better than the Spurs.

thehotsung8701A wrote:
If the Spurs play their A game and LMA putting up 20/10 along with having Duncan back with Parker and Ginobili who need to play better and Green to have a more productive game while having Leonard carry the team with more than six attempt, I think the Spurs can easily beat the Warriors in a 7 game series.

The Spurs purposely threw this game away to see what are the strength of the Warriors and who could be a bright spot for the Spurs. The Spurs learn that Bohan and Simmon provide good bench and with Simmon a guy who not afraid of the moment and can drive to the basket. The Spurs learn that David West, Boris Diaw, and Rasual Butler who are all veteran are not afraid of big games and make the Spurs bench very good.

I don't think the Spurs need to throw away a game to see the strength of the Warriors or to learn about their own players. (Diaw has been a Spur for five years and helped them win a ring -- I can't imagine this game told Pops anything about him he didn't know long long ago.)

One thing this game did do, though, is make it more difficult for the Spurs to gain home court advantage over the Warriors.

That said, I think a 7-game series could go either way. Both the Spurs and Warriors are hugely talented.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

The only thing Pop did was sit Tim. It was a win/win for him to do so. GSW wins and it's "we didn't have our whole roster". If Spurs won, it would have been "holy cow, they just beat you guys without their anchor". Brilliant on Pop's part.

As far as willfully throwing the game? I've heard that supposition and it doesn't fly for me. So the collective Spurs decided to miss baskets and turn the ball over. Aldridge intentionally put up a stinker to the point that he had to shut down his Twitter as he was being harassed so bad by Spurs fans (sad but true).

Agreed JB
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject:

I think people just need to accept the fact that this Warriors team is THAT good.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: