Plan to neutralize Kobe...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Plan to neutralize Kobe...

It is basically a plan to have someone stay in front of him then have some length to prevent the pass and distract him while the speed tries to force the turnover, be it steal, foul or walk...

-Have a smaller, quicker player guard him 1-on-1...

-Send a BIG to trap and/or deny Kobe in post-iso...

-Rotate to cover the middle to prevent an easy pass...

-Make the rest of the team have to swing the ball to the other side or take long Js, which few of them are going to hit consistently...

-Continue this trend until you have a comfortable lead and you have Kobe launching 30 fters...

Kobe may still get 35 but you will win against his team every time...he can't be the go-to guy and the one to setup the rest of his teammates...it's sad, but right now, Kobe HAS to put up 40+ for this team to win...

As long as they are allowed to double and triple Kobe, he will NEVER AGAIN be a factor in our games...the rest of the team sucks that bad.

How do we counter? I don't know...

If I had to guess, I would send Kobe off multiple screens...or have him bring the ball up and attack which could/would draw enough attention away from his teammates to get a few quick hitters every now and then...

What do you guys think of this new defensive strategy of putting pee-wees on Kobe and swarming with help? Pretty effective don't you think???
novano2004
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject:

you probably mean Kobe has to put 40+15=55points for the lakers to win
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Plan to neutralize Kobe...

GameCock-MD wrote:
It is basically a plan to have someone stay in front of him then have some length to prevent the pass and distract him while the speed tries to force the turnover, be it steal, foul or walk...

-Have a smaller, quicker player guard him 1-on-1...

-Send a BIG to trap and/or deny Kobe in post-iso...

-Rotate to cover the middle to prevent an easy pass...

-Make the rest of the team have to swing the ball to the other side or take long Js, which few of them are going to hit consistently...

-Continue this trend until you have a comfortable lead and you have Kobe launching 30 fters...

Kobe may still get 35 but you will win against his team every time...he can't be the go-to guy and the one to setup the rest of his teammates...it's sad, but right now, Kobe HAS to put up 40+ for this team to win...

As long as they are allowed to double and triple Kobe, he will NEVER AGAIN be a factor in our games...the rest of the team sucks that bad.

How do we counter? I don't know...

If I had to guess, I would send Kobe off multiple screens...or have him bring the ball up and attack which could/would draw enough attention away from his teammates to get a few quick hitters every now and then...

What do you guys think of this new defensive strategy of putting pee-wees on Kobe and swarming with help? Pretty effective don't you think???

I agree with you. Even with Odom and Mihm, the opposition was starting to double Kobe early and even sending a 3rd guy at him down low. The only real solution is wide open supposed NBA players hitting their shots. Ultimately when your opposition chooses to guard 1 guy with most of their team, it should be an advantage for us. Instead, our scrubs aren't able to score on dunks, 5 footers and even layups. Ulimately it will be up to said scrubs to hit a few shots. If they can, the triple will ease up on Kobe and the right balance can be set again.
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:

The short version: put one adequate defender on Kobe and have one or two spies.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:

The thing I don't understand is the coaching staff and the players know full well a double/triple team is coming. And even when Kobe swings the ball the rest of the team doesn't know what to do!
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject:

This is where we're missing LO, people. His ability to force a BIGGER guy to guard him on the perimeter while HE sets Kobe up in INVALUABLE.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
mrdectown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:

I realize now why odom is untradable. i never called for his trade. but i never understood why he was untouchable. i know now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject:

Odom does create some matchup problems. When Bynum gets his game together more, he will also create some problems.
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject:

mrdectown wrote:
I realize now why odom is untradable. i never called for his trade. but i never understood why he was untouchable. i know now.

Oh good grief. Odom was untouchable in Indiana wasn't he? Odom is about the only chip we have. If I'm Mitch, I get his ass back on the court, feature him and then trade him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: