Byron-watch: Chasing History (Worst winning % of any coach w/1,000+ games, further <.500 than any coach, worst record as Laker coach, tied for worst loss & longest losing streak in Laker history)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Trusting your basketball decision makers and endorsing their decision is different from actually making the decision themselves. Their basketball people (Jim and Mitch) apparently told them that they could reward Kobe and give him a goodbye tour and it wouldn't affect their plans to improve the team and contend again within Jim's "three to four years", so why wouldn't they endorse it?

Trusting your basketball people and endorsing their moves while destroying the franchise could get you fired.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject:

Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Both Jim & Jeanie are culpable for both the Kobe extension, and the situation that we're in. I'm not sure what the heck the argument is about.

Nor am I, it was a family decision, that includes both of them (and their siblings). And I agreed with it at the time and still do. That being said, Jeannie wanting to extend Kobe this offseason is somewhat bothersome, luckily Kobe won't have any part of that.

I don't really care one way or the other but she's on record saying she didn't have a role in the decision. She says, "Jimmy and Mitch made that decision." Can't get more clear than that.

She can't simultaneously go on the radio and say "I'm the boss" and then absolve herself of responsibility on the major decisions that the franchise makes. If she didn't have a role in a decision that important, that's even worse.

Last edited by GoldenThroat on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Yes, she did support the decision, that is pretty much what I have been saying. She was in agreement and had no issues with it. It was an organizational decision and the voting members were all for it. If there is "blame" to be had (which I disagree with, I think it was the right choice as well), it is with the Buss children. Without their support, it never would have happened. As Jeannie has told us over and over, she could have killed the extension if she had wanted to. She didn't and it happened.

venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Jeanie did force the Kobe extension under her power to make business decisions. The move has negatively affected every Lakers move since, other than draft position.

Though Jim and Mitch handle free agency, trades, and drafting, Jeanie has to sign off on everything but generally won't meddle with day-to-day operations.

Got a link for the bolded?

Not hard to find, the link has been posted here before

Sure seems like you're trying to say here that she was the one who forced the extension since you posted in support of Dynasty's original quote. You seem to have only backed off due to the actual quotes that were posted.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Yes, she did support the decision, that is pretty much what I have been saying. She was in agreement and had no issues with it. It was an organizational decision and the voting members were all for it. If there is "blame" to be had (which I disagree with, I think it was the right choice as well), it is with the Buss children. Without their support, it never would have happened. As Jeannie has told us over and over, she could have killed the extension if she had wanted to. She didn't and it happened.

Okay but to be clear supporting a decision and making a decision are not the same thing. It's not a family decision if one of the family members say they had no part in making it, support it though she does.

Jeannie made a decision, she decided to approve Kobe's extension. Why is that so hard to grasp? Could it be any clearer?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Both Jim & Jeanie are culpable for both the Kobe extension, and the situation that we're in. I'm not sure what the heck the argument is about.

Nor am I, it was a family decision, that includes both of them (and their siblings). And I agreed with it at the time and still do. That being said, Jeannie wanting to extend Kobe this offseason is somewhat bothersome, luckily Kobe won't have any part of that.

I don't really care one way or the other but she's on record saying she didn't have a role in the decision. She says, "Jimmy and Mitch made that decision." Can't get more clear than that.

She can't simultaneously go on the radio and say "I'm the boss" and then absolve herself of responsibility on the major decisions that the franchise makes. If she didn't have a role in a decision that important, that's even worse.

Apparently she doesn't need to do that, she has plenty of posters here trying to say it for her.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject:

This kind of goes back to the most important question...who the hell is running this circus? I always knew that Dr. Buss was in charge, and so did everyone else. Who is that person now? Jeanie tells us that it's her, but then takes a "don't blame me for this mess" stance. I don't like that at all. Someone needs to take ownership of this, pun intended.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Based on this interview, it seems to me she draws the distinction between basketball and business. But maybe she's said the opposite elsewhere, I really don't know.

Q: But more on the TV side and the idea that Kobe being here is good for that side of the business.

A: "No. Business is not making the basketball decisions, you know? My job is to generate the revenue so that they can spend it on the basketball team of their choice. It's their choice. If that was the case, if I was running the basketball side, then Phil would be here. That's only from my own bias, but if you think I have that kind of power to push my own agenda, that should say it right there."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Jeanie did force the Kobe extension under her power to make business decisions. The move has negatively affected every Lakers move since, other than draft position.

Though Jim and Mitch handle free agency, trades, and drafting, Jeanie has to sign off on everything but generally won't meddle with day-to-day operations.

Got a link for the bolded?

Not hard to find, the link has been posted here before

Sure seems like you're trying to say here that she was the one who forced the extension since you posted in support of Dynasty's original quote. You seem to have only backed off due to the actual quotes that were posted.

Well I never said that, so I guess your thinking was off despite what I posted. She made the final decision on the extension, but it seems like nothing was forced from anyone.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

venturalakersfan wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
sirronstuff wrote:
Because I'm in a helping mood.....

Article saying Jeannie pushed for extension

Just remember.....

This is what's said in the LA Times article:

Quote:
One choice Jeanie shaped last November was to sign the team's aging superstar, Bryant, 35, to a two-year, $48.5-million contract extension.

Jeanie was enamored by the idea of Bryant spending his entire career with the Lakers and pushed for an extension to get him to 20 years with the team. The deal honored Bryant's long career but also limited the Lakers' rebuilding possibilities while anchoring them to a suddenly injury-prone player.

As you can see Bresnahan has no sources to back up his claim or theory. He simply states this, like a lot of long time members on LG, as fact and continues on with his article. No actual source for this theory.

Seriously? So Bresnahan has to cite sources every time he makes a statement, otherwise it's just his opinion, making him no different than an LG member? Where exactly do you think he got this crazy idea?

Yes, I expect him to cite his sources. He's supposed to be a credible journalist and he should be able to tell us where he got this information from because it isn't just his opinion on the matter but an outright statement. I don't know where he got that idea from because he doesn't tell us in the article how he came to that conclusion. You can't just write things as facts and then not back them up with sources and expect everyone to go along with it.

Jeannie herself came out with a statement that the Buss children had agreed to extend Kobe so that he would finish his career here. Or do you expect Jeannie to cite a source as well?

So now you say the Buss kids all decided to give Kobe the extension? Just a few posts ago you were saying that Jeanie by herself forced it

I never said that because, according to what Jeannie has said, I know it isn't true. She said the kids all agreed that extending Kobe was what should be done.

Looks like Jeanie was in full support of Jim's decision to sign Kobe. And it should be that way otherwise the ownership would look a little dysfunctional.

That is pretty much what I said, though according to Jeannie her siblings were also in approval. It was a decision that they all agreed with, I am not sure what they issue is. Jeannie was part of it, Jim was part of it, Janie was part of it, etc. To blame one is wrong (though I would never use the word "blame" for that decision). Jeannie is the President, she has the last word on everything. And her last word on the Kobe extension was something that I agreed with. As far as family dysfunction, really? You honestly think they care about that?

If Jim who runs the basketball side of things (personal, coaches etc..) wants something done and Jeanie is not supportive then yes it would look dysfunctional in the eye's of media/fans. This is a little different from Jerry Buss not agreeing with something Mitch or Jerry West would have suggested. As owners Jeanie should let her brother who runs basketball operations do his job and have faith in his decisions 100 percent..

Last edited by Nnamdi21 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

GoldenThroat wrote:
Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Why? That's the way her dad apparently wanted it. She trusted her father, so she's giving Jim time to prove himself. Jim even helpfully provided his own timeline. She lets him play it out, and if the basketball side delivers, all is good. If they don't, then changes need to be made. Until then, why would she interfere? She has been quoted that she knows she isn't a basketball mind so she leaves that to the experts. Nothing wrong with that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

GoldenThroat wrote:
This kind of goes back to the most important question...who the hell is running this circus? I always knew that Dr. Buss was in charge, and so did everyone else. Who is that person now? Jeanie tells us that it's her, but then takes a "don't blame me for this mess" stance. I don't like that at all. Someone needs to take ownership of this, pun intended.

If one is not the "chief executive," then one should stop touting being the "chief executive."
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Okay but to be clear supporting a decision and making a decision are not the same thing. It's not a family decision if one of the family members say they had no part in making it, support it though she does.

Jeannie made a decision, she decided to approve Kobe's extension. Why is that so hard to grasp? Could it be any clearer?

Yes, it could be clearer if you provided quotes to support your assertions as some of us have done. She said outright "Jim and Mitch made that decision." Where did you get the part that she approved it?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

According to Jeannie she is running things, but I share your confusion. I think there is a lot of covering your aholes going on.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Math wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Based on this interview, it seems to me she draws the distinction between basketball and business. But maybe she's said the opposite elsewhere, I really don't know.

Q: But more on the TV side and the idea that Kobe being here is good for that side of the business.

A: "No. Business is not making the basketball decisions, you know? My job is to generate the revenue so that they can spend it on the basketball team of their choice. It's their choice. If that was the case, if I was running the basketball side, then Phil would be here. That's only from my own bias, but if you think I have that kind of power to push my own agenda, that should say it right there."

Is there a larger revenue generator in the entire Laker organization than Kobe Bryant? How is the decision to sign Kobe Bryant to an extension not both a business AND basketball decision?

BTW, I'm fine with Kobe signing the extension. That's pretty low on my list of complaints. I just don't think anyone in ownership can plausibly wash their hands of that decision.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yes, it could be clearer if you provided quotes to support your assertions as some of us have done. She said outright "Jim and Mitch made that decision." Where did you get the part that she approved it?

She is the freakin President and she has said she has control of all decisions. Sometimes common sense needs to enter the conversation, do you need to find quotes that she is the President of the organization? Try Google.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Owners who know nothing or only superficial things about their sports let their experts handle the team decisions everywhere. If the experts fail and the team sucks for a while, they replace the experts. How is that a problem?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Math wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Is there a larger revenue generator in the entire Laker organization than Kobe Bryant? How is the decision to sign Kobe Bryant to an extension not both a business AND basketball decision?

BTW, I'm fine with Kobe signing the extension. That's pretty low on my list of complaints. I just don't think anyone in ownership can plausibly wash their hands of that decision.

I agree entirely. I too was and am still for the extension and I wouldn't absolve anyone in the FO of that decision. And from the quotes posted, I don't think anyone in the FO would see where blame is necessary either.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

She is the freakin President and she has said she has control of all decisions. Sometimes common sense needs to enter the conversation, do you need to find quotes that she is the President of the organization? Try Google.

When I provide a quote of Jeanie saying she didn't have a role in making the decision and you repeatedly say that she did, yeah you should provide a quote to support your position. I'm not arguing a point. I'm not making assumptions. I'm quoting someone.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Owners who know nothing or only superficial things about their sports let their experts handle the team decisions everywhere. If the experts fail and the team sucks for a while, they replace the experts. How is that a problem?

I don't know, take it up with Jeannie, she is the one telling everyone she is in charge. Until there is criticism, then it is a basketball decision, not a business decision. That is why Dr. Buss arranged things the way he did, he knew Jim could handle the criticism while Jeannie couldn't.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Math wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

I'm not saying it isn't basketball and business decision. Jeanie is saying she didn't have a say it in it though. And to illustrate her point says that if it were up to her Phil would be here right now.

So if she's the boss and it's up to her and she wants Phil here then why isn't he here?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

When I provide a quote of Jeanie saying she didn't have a role in making the decision and you repeatedly say that she did, yeah you should provide a quote to support your position. I'm not arguing a point. I'm not making assumptions. I'm quoting someone.

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2014/03/21/jeanie-buss-i-am-the-one-voice/

"I am that one voice and that one person, Lakers President Jeannie Buss said. I am at the top of the food chain." She is the one in charge, she is the final say in decisions.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Math wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Math wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

I'm not saying it isn't basketball and business decision. Jeanie is saying she didn't have a say it in it though. And to illustrate her point says that if it were up to her Phil would be here right now.

So if she's the boss and it's up to her and she wants Phil here then why isn't he here?

Because her family could vote her out of the President position if they wanted to. And there are likely 3 votes that would vote to do so. It is smart of her to not force the issue.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Jim and Mitch.

Jeanie is the owner every team's fan base that has an owner that perpetually oversteps wants. She is the owner that let's the basketball people run the basketball operations. She provides full autonomy.

She is not going to step in and veto basketball decisions because she admittedly isn't a basketball person. What more can you want? I don't understand why there is a question as to where blame should go. The people actually making decisions. But here you have people on this forum continually bringing up her name in regards to Kobe's extension, free agent decisions and coaching hires. All that's on Jim and Mitch. Yet people will flame her for saying she's going to remove these criminally underperforming executives while at the same time asking what she is actually doing with the power she wields.

So what do you want? Do you want her to butt in and veto basketball decisions? Do you want her to stay away(which is what she has been doing)?

Personally I like the role she has taken on. Let the basketball people run basketball operations, and if they don't perform in a given time, if their "plan" fails, remove them and put someone else in place.

You can't ask for a better owner.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

Regardless of who is "in charge," the product is terrible. Scott is killing the team and something needs to be done. Be it Jim or Jeannie making the final call.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2014/03/21/jeanie-buss-i-am-the-one-voice/

"I am that one voice and that one person, Lakers President Jeannie Buss said. I am at the top of the food chain." She is the one in charge, she is the final say in decisions.

From the article in your link:

Buss also said that, just like her father, she has deferred Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak and vice president of player personnel Jim Buss to oversee basketball operations.

“They are empowered to do that. My job is to make sure, as a boss, that I provide them the tools to do the job successfully,” Buss said. “But it’s up to them to make the day-to-day decisions on how they operate their area of the business.”
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12
Jump to: