Fan contradiction about Odom and LAL
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
novano2004
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Fan contradiction about Odom and LAL

when LAL loses with Odom on, we say its Odom's fault, when he is out we say LAL can't win without him.

I really feel bad about some of the fans just don’t know what they want and keep changing their minds so many times about a player. Odom or no Odom that is the question.
With Odom on the team LAL has 50/50 chance to win, without Odom LAL has 20/80 chance to win, that’s the stats you can check for your self. i don’t see any difference. Odom can take some pressure off Kobe at some times, but also it put more pressure on other players and they are not responding. Losing Mihm to me is big; Kwame is still living dreamland in his mind. but lets just give this team a chance to figure things out in the next few weeks before the all-star. A trade will not help unless its a trade that has an expiring contract for next season otherwise no trade can help because not everyone can play triangle and learn it in few months.

One big problem is, most of the players on the roster don’t know or don’t understand their role yet. And its not enough to just know their role they have to know how to achieve it which it has not been done yet, including Kobe (nothing against him, but it has to do with everyone). When the team loses the leader will have also part of the responsibility even if he is putting numbers and doing what he has to do, that’s why they call him a leader.
All what I hope for is that this team can still make the payoff just an experience continuation for the new guys so they can see it all and then move on. The playoffs means a lot for the young players it gives you more confidence and a difference prospective about the game and matchups.

Last edited by novano2004 on Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
B-Scott
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject:

i think ppl underestimate Lamar's rebounding ability. The guy gets key rebounds at the right times. Allows kobe to play without the ball in his hands.

Without Lamar,even if we play solid defense on a possession,we will give up that frustrating rebound. AND 1. 3 point play

That happened last yr,thats why we finished 2-18
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject:

Great post novano2004...

And I certainly do agree with you B-Scott. Last year's finish without Odom is telling... Not to mention the recent one sided losses without Odom.

Odom and Mihm are critical players on this roster and will impact our W/L percentage certainly in a negative way until we get them both back.

We have lost a ton of rebounding, which asks a lot of the players to make up for. Also teams will tend to key even more on Kobe until we get healthy.

So many people complain that we don't have a bonfide "2nd option" in Odom. But the fact remains that Odom does a number of (unselfish) things on the court which helps the other players do better.

And if anyone doesn't think losing Mihm isn't a big time loss, just look at his recent stats (last 4 games only):

mpg: 30 ppg: 14 rpg: 8 fg%: 52 ft%: 80

Some have actually suggested Mihm is our "2nd best" player, maybe a bit overstated, but it shows how much Mihm has improved in the past few weeks.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject:

I agree. When something goes wrong, they have to point fingers at someone. Last year it was Chucky. This year its Odom.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject:

Odom is what he is. A newbie Facilitator that rebounds and is only average at defense. If we had more scorers around Odom, his value would skyrocket.

What good is a gun if there's no bullets? But do you sell your only gun to buy bullets?

I want to keep Odom, and get at least one more scorer - even if it takes till '07. But, if he went for a first tier scorer (Pierce) or quality Big, I wouldn't mind because there are a few other facilitators we could shoot for.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

^ Excellent post, totally agree.

I like your analogy:
Quote:

What good is a gun if there's no bullets? But do you sell your only gun to buy bullets?

Odom is the "gun" that would really benefit a team with good shooters. And I totally agree, Odom's stock would certainly sky rocket.

Odom is the right answer for any team that has the players that can put the ball in the basket either by spotting up or going to the hole and finishing. Right now we only have Kobe and that is just not enough to succeed against the elite teams in the league.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:

Who is "we" again? The party that says Odom is at fault is not the same group that says that the team can't win without him. :roll:
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
I agree. When something goes wrong, they have to point fingers at someone. Last year it was Chucky. This year its Odom.

That's not fair, I wasn't pointing all my fingers at Chucky I was just pointing one of them........guess which?
Mamba
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:

Ive brought this point up before but i think it needs to be addressed once more. Lamar Odom should be a post up player. In Miami he did so and got 19 a night. If the term "point forward" is what Lamar Odom really is, then why does he never post up anymore. Basically its either post up Kobe or post up Chris Mihm. Lamar Odom is a unique player but his body is too big to be out on the perimeter all of the time. He is constantly getting offensive fouls called on him when he drives to the basket and he is not a consistent shooter to say the least. He belongs on the block because thats where his talent lies. Its up to Phil to realize that. If anybody knows how to get the best talent from a good player its Phil.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject:

1. Thanks for starting yet another Lamar Odom post. We really needed another one.

2. The belief that Odom is a flawed player is not inconsistent with the belief that we're worse without him. That's because we don't have a quality backup at the position. Just because Odom is better than George, Cook, and Walton does not mean that Odom is a star quality player. Mihm is a mediocre center, but we're worse without him, too.
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:

We can't win with him and we can't win without him.

What I mean when I say that is that we aren't going to be a contender with ONLY Odom playing alongside with Kobe, we need another player, a 2nd scorer. At the same time, we can't trade Odom away, he makes life a LOT easier for Kobe Bryant.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject:

Considering that we have Gump and Luke backing up Lamar, Lamar is gonna look pretty good when he is out. And the same can be said for Mihm and his backups. Reality is that Lamar and Mihm are our 2nd and 3rd best players. That ain't gonna get it done. But when they are hurt we really get to see how sad our "bench" is. Nice job, Mitch. You put together a real stinker of a roster here.

Jake Speed, 1986
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
^ Excellent post, totally agree.

I like your analogy:
Quote:

Odom is the "gun" that would really benefit a team with good shooters. And I totally agree, Odom's stock would certainly sky rocket.

Odom is the right answer for any team that has the players that can put the ball in the basket either by spotting up or going to the hole and finishing. Right now we only have Kobe and that is just not enough to succeed against the elite teams in the league.

How does Odom make it easier for Kobe to spot up or go to the hole? As someone mentioned before, Odom plays much of the game on the perimeter, thus forcing Kobe (probably by Phil's recommendation) to post up. Odom also is constantly drawing offensive fouls on him. He can beat an opposing PF off the dribble, but he takes so long to get there that someone just steps in front of him and draws a charge. If Odom were such a great "facilitator" he would dish the ball to an open man instead of charging all the time. He doesn't though.

Odom's post game is not that good. If we want a PF to post up, lets go after one that does so automatically. If we want a guy to facilitate the offense and also be able to score, lets go after a PG that does so. This would open the floor a lot more than Odom has been able to do.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject:

This is the exact reason why we can never trade Odom, as long as we can get that elusive second scorer without giving him up. Odom is a third option who fills in the holes for everything else. Every championship calibur team needs a player like him. Like him or not, he does everything consistent except score and those things are as important to winning as scoring.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject:

^ Another exellent post...

We need a 2nd option to score, but otherwise Odom can be invaluable to a team in regards to so many other things he does.

Of course the big question remains is there enough $ to go around and keep Odom.

LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Quote:

Odom's post game is not that good. If we want a PF to post up, lets go after one that does so automatically. If we want a guy to facilitate the offense and also be able to score, lets go after a PG that does so. This would open the floor a lot more than Odom has been able to do.

The crux of the matter is you get what you get with Phil. Phil's approach in regards to his Triangle does not support a "true" PG in his view. He has always liked tall guards in the backcourt and I think that using Odom in the manner that he does is just another illustration of Phil's approach.

We can either blame Phil and complain and complain or we can hope that Phil knows what he is doing and remain patient. Not an easy proposition either way, but the fact remains that nothing is going to change as far as his approach to the game and the way he uses his players and as long as Phil is at the helm we might as well get used to it.

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan contradiction about Odom and LAL

novano2004 wrote:
when LAL loses with Odom on, we say its Odom's fault, when he is out we say LAL can't win without him.

although i have been quick to blame odom after a loss i hate the overracting 7-10 TRADE ODOM posts after a loss.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
^ Another exellent post...

We need a 2nd option to score, but otherwise Odom can be invaluable to a team in regards to so many other things he does.

Of course the big question remains is there enough $ to go around and keep Odom.

Thanks.

I just noticed your sig. But mines better than yours.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
1. Thanks for starting yet another Lamar Odom post. We really needed another one.

2. The belief that Odom is a flawed player is not inconsistent with the belief that we're worse without him. That's because we don't have a quality backup at the position. Just because Odom is better than George, Cook, and Walton does not mean that Odom is a star quality player. Mihm is a mediocre center, but we're worse without him, too.

Perfect response...I can add nothing that can not be summed up here...
qreus-76
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Couldn't agree more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject:

it's not odom's fault, it's the fault of the team that just isn't that good outside kobe. odom just isn't what the lakers need and it would be extremely hard for them to add someone that will make a difference without getting rid of odom in the process. i don't think anyone is denying that lamar is a good player, so obviously the lakers are going to be weaker without him, but that doesn't mean he's the difference between the lakers being a contender and last place, he's not THAT good. i'd just prefer the lakers to replace him with someone better, because they can't do it with just kobe and odom, but they could with say bosh and kobe.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Odom is what he is. A newbie Facilitator that rebounds and is only average at defense. If we had more scorers around Odom, his value would skyrocket.

I want to keep Odom, and get at least one more scorer - even if it takes till '07. But, if he went for a first tier scorer (Pierce) or quality Big, I wouldn't mind because there are a few other facilitators we could shoot for.

^^See, i was with you, until you said you would give up LO for pierce, because there are a few other facilitators we could shoot for. WHO? WHO? and WHO?

they dont exist. this is why everyteam thats winning either has steve nash, or a Very Very Very good team of guys (detroit, san an, dallas, miami(in the east pads their stats).

There are no lamar odoms out there. perhaps AK47's numbers are similar, and every now and then he looks like he can run the offense form the sf/pf position. but for the most part, he cant, and he doesn't. so who else. and even if we did say AK47 for LO. So what. we would still be missing those Bullets. SMush could be that bullet, if someone tells him, to attack everynight, no matter whats going on. not just shoot the open 3. but attack like he knows he can. no matter what the refs are callin on him on defense. keep attacking. your man scores, you score. its to that point now. if we just cant play the pick and whatever, so be it. score back on these guys.

but see thats the problem i mentioned last year about the triangle, without having pippen, horace, and mjay, manning the tank. even the shaq and kobe lakers, never played the pick and roll/pop well. NEVER. WHY? because when you practice an offense like the triangle, that really doesn't make use of the pick n roll/pop. then you are not gearing up to play against MOST TEAMS. now back then our offense was so potent, that it was defense. shaq/kobe would have guys in such severe foul trouble that they couldn't play lockdown hard nose de when the game was on the line.

but we dont have that now, and we cant trade LO to get it. so stop asking. THis means, we cant expect to see any decent defense on the pick n whatever until next year sometime. hopefully by then, they know enough of the tri to not have to go thru it all practice, then we can go over pick n roll defense and also running it on offense.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject:

I don't think many fans are flip flopping. One side just becomes more vocal, that's all. Most people realize Odom is overpaid and has a LONG way to go if he's ever going to fulfill his potential. This team is just ridiculously thin, which only exacerbates the loss of a role player such as Odom.
pawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:
This is the exact reason why we can never trade Odom, as long as we can get that elusive second scorer without giving him up. Odom is a third option who fills in the holes for everything else. Every championship calibur team needs a player like him. Like him or not, he does everything consistent except score and those things are as important to winning as scoring.

Championship caliber teams may need a player like Lamar, but, for 13 million per? I think not. Funny how everyone overlooks that GLARING fact as they do their best to pump up the potential of this team.

Kobe gets the max - that's a given. But, when someone like Lamar gets huge bank every payday playing alongside Kobe - we don't need to wait around for a 2nd option. That 13 million per player needs to be the clearcut 2nd option right now - no exceptions. This isn't the Knicks! It's not remotely acceptable for Lamar to be paid what he earns and simultaneously not cut it as our consistent 2nd option. It's truly unnerving to watch people argue this back and forth. Where is the logical argument? He is not worth his salary - period.
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:
Considering that we have Gump and Luke backing up Lamar, Lamar is gonna look pretty good when he is out.

True
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: