David Alridge reports D'angelo Russell has no idea what to ask Byron in order to improve and is completely lost as a point guard
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject:

Byron defenders remind me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_holdout
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
younggrease wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
nshid wrote:
I don't see why DLO can't just ask Kobe about improving himself as a PG and player. I personally would never ask the head coach about my improvement offensively and defensively. I would ask the coach about plays, sets, defensive strategies, and team play...but never about how to improve overall as a player.

This shows a lack of confidence and accountability on DLO, in my opinion.

So it's the 19 year old rookie's fault that his coach won't talk to him about his role? That he finds out about his bench demotion basically through the media, hears constant criticism against him while his starting lineup is even more of an offender re: things like defense?

if he is confused about his role why wouldn't he ask the coach or the coaching staff? if he doesn't know what to ask, why doesn't he start there?

it's not like he is the first 19 year old to ever be confused about his role on the basketball court. It happens every year in college and for older rookies, in the NBA.

I hope he will mature with age but doing the way he is handling this is immature.

Apparently Scott doesn't want rookies to talk TO him...just that they should sit there and take orders. Scott has actually said that.

Byron Said his office is always open if they ever need to speak with him.

Yeah. And I believe that as much as I believe 2Pac is still alive.

2pac is still alive
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject:

nshid wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
nshid wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
nshid wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
nshid wrote:
I don't see why DLO can't just ask Kobe about improving himself as a PG and player. I personally would never ask the head coach about my improvement offensively and defensively. I would ask the coach about plays, sets, defensive strategies, and team play...but never about how to improve overall as a player.

It's obvious that he's already constantly going to Kobe for advice. The issue is about what he can do so that Byron will stop jerking around his minutes and throwing him under the bus to the media, not about how to play.

Since he is a rookie, it is warranted that his minutes be jerked around. I just don't get the unreasonable expectations on the progression of our younger players. As a coach, you've got to be careful overplaying rookies, as their bodies are still getting used to the NBA style of play and they can get hurt (ala Julius Randle). I can give you multiple reasons not to overplay rookies, but the number one reason is because you want them to learn from vets.

Aside from minutes, DLO really shouldn't want a defined role at this point. This what separates role players from superstars...their mentality. If he wants to be a superstar, stop complaining and put in the work.

Man up. We got it. So Scott is playing him 23-24 mpg to protect his body? I mean why is Anthony Brown going from 0 minutes to starting and playing 35 minutes and guarding Kevin Durant?

Or is it to teach DLO that he's in charge and can yank his minutes any time he wants?

But isn't MANning-up really what's it about for these younger players? Does playing more minutes necessarily mean he will get better next year and be more consistent in his play? Really Anthony Brown hasn't had a chance to play, and I'm sure Scott wants to give him some PT considering the losses. The way I see it BS has allowed the rooks to make mistakes and learn from them. At the beginning of the season, Julius Randle was playing PG and DLO wasn't even demanding the ball. I guess he thought it was okay to just hang out around the perimeter. But if you look at those players mid-season, now DLO is demanding the ball and Julius knows when to go one-on-one.

BS is doing his job, we just have rookies with holes in their games, and a team with holes in their defense.

All this is assuming Byron actually knows what he is doing, and that whatever he is telling the kids to do would help them win ball games. But the reality is that every year Byron has fallen further and further behind the rest of the league in offensive and defensive strategy. His tendencies go against everything that successful NBA franchises have learned in the past ten years.

He doesn't even know which players are playing better than others. His new starting lineup turned out to be worse than his old starting lineup, especially on defense. A backup big who fills a ton of needs for this team rots on the bench because he was "too nice". Lou Williams has been a disaster on defense and as a floor general, and continually gets rewarded with minutes. He's told Russell at separate points not to look to score, not to look to run the PnR and not to look to take over games. Not on decision he's made makes sense. When you are outperforming your teammates and your coach has to invent tortured explanations as to why you suck more than everyone else, of course you're going to be confused.

Lakers have lost 8 close games this within a margin of 4 points. Let's say they won those games which would put their record at 17-33, which would had given them a reasonable shot a magic number 8 playoff spot.

They lost those 8 close games because of inexperience and inconsistency. It is a coaches job to put his players in a good position to win. It is the players' jobs to close out games with good defense and consistent scoring. Considering this roster and their lack of consistency, it is in no way time to let these younger players loose...they're simply not ready.

I'll agree that they're probably not ready, but I disagree that these close games mean that Scott has put them in a position to win. His middle school level set plays are a disservice to this team. Second, Scott does not seem to make game time adjustments consistently. As a coach of a young team, he should be helping them form an identity. Instead these players look lost and defeated.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject:

If we lost the next 25 games with Lou/Kobe finishing games, that's a waste.

If we lose the next 25 games with DLO/JC finishing games, you've given them valuable experience in a year that is already lost, and gives the FO better opportunities to evaluate that backcourt.
nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
nshid wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
nshid wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
nshid wrote:

It's obvious that he's already constantly going to Kobe for advice. The issue is about what he can do so that Byron will stop jerking around his minutes and throwing him under the bus to the media, not about how to play.

Since he is a rookie, it is warranted that his minutes be jerked around. I just don't get the unreasonable expectations on the progression of our younger players. As a coach, you've got to be careful overplaying rookies, as their bodies are still getting used to the NBA style of play and they can get hurt (ala Julius Randle). I can give you multiple reasons not to overplay rookies, but the number one reason is because you want them to learn from vets.

Aside from minutes, DLO really shouldn't want a defined role at this point. This what separates role players from superstars...their mentality. If he wants to be a superstar, stop complaining and put in the work.

Man up. We got it. So Scott is playing him 23-24 mpg to protect his body? I mean why is Anthony Brown going from 0 minutes to starting and playing 35 minutes and guarding Kevin Durant?

Or is it to teach DLO that he's in charge and can yank his minutes any time he wants?

But isn't MANning-up really what's it about for these younger players? Does playing more minutes necessarily mean he will get better next year and be more consistent in his play? Really Anthony Brown hasn't had a chance to play, and I'm sure Scott wants to give him some PT considering the losses. The way I see it BS has allowed the rooks to make mistakes and learn from them. At the beginning of the season, Julius Randle was playing PG and DLO wasn't even demanding the ball. I guess he thought it was okay to just hang out around the perimeter. But if you look at those players mid-season, now DLO is demanding the ball and Julius knows when to go one-on-one.

BS is doing his job, we just have rookies with holes in their games, and a team with holes in their defense.

To answer your question in bold...no, it doesn't necessarily make a young player better to give them more minutes. Constructive feedback and application of good feedback would help. However, Scott has openly said that he doesn't tell them what they need to do, that they're not owed an explanation for being taken out. This is crazy making.

Could you imagine being given the same exam by your professor multiple times without feedback, only to fail each time?

I agree with not explaining to these young players why I'm taking them out. As a coach, no explanation is needed at this point. Most games you can just look at the score, and sit on the bench and watch how we are being out-executed. No matter how we dislike Scott's game plan, if DLO is consistently not executing what he wrote up...take him out. DLO and the rest of the rooks are too young and inconsistent to warrant such an explanation.

Last edited by nshid on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:55 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject:

nshid wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
nshid wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
nshid wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
nshid wrote:

All this is assuming Byron actually knows what he is doing, and that whatever he is telling the kids to do would help them win ball games. But the reality is that every year Byron has fallen further and further behind the rest of the league in offensive and defensive strategy. His tendencies go against everything that successful NBA franchises have learned in the past ten years.

He doesn't even know which players are playing better than others. His new starting lineup turned out to be worse than his old starting lineup, especially on defense. A backup big who fills a ton of needs for this team rots on the bench because he was "too nice". Lou Williams has been a disaster on defense and as a floor general, and continually gets rewarded with minutes. He's told Russell at separate points not to look to score, not to look to run the PnR and not to look to take over games. Not on decision he's made makes sense. When you are outperforming your teammates and your coach has to invent tortured explanations as to why you suck more than everyone else, of course you're going to be confused.

Lakers have lost 8 close games this season within a margin of 4 points. Let's say they won those games which would put their record at 17-33, which would had given them a reasonable shot a magic number 8 playoff spot.

They lost those 8 close games because of inexperience and inconsistency. It is a coaches job to put his players in a good position to win. It is the players' jobs to close out games with good defense and consistent scoring. Considering this roster and their lack of consistency, it is in no way time to let these younger players loose...they're simply not ready.

Take those 8 games and go back to the game recaps for them. You're going to see that his direct actions cost the team a lot more than four points in each of them. And that's not even counting the lost points per possession added up because the team has less time on the clock, less space, and fewer passing options to work with than every team in the league.

In what world is playing Bass and Kelly for extended minutes a good idea? Playing Kobe 37 minutes early on when he was taking bad shots and missing everything? And like I mentioned before, his starting lineup change made it 5 points worse!

So you bringing up the close games actually makes it even worse. A half decent coach might actually have a half decent record with this team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject:

And why do you need the, "I don't need to explain to you" attitude?

Look at Scott's damn offensive system. DLO on multiple occasions last night was telling Huertas/Lou to leave the corner so that the big could have a post up (and passing opportunity while DLO cut baseline).

Did Huertas/Lou get thrown to the bench for this? Of course not.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject:

nshid wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:
nshid wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
nshid wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
nshid wrote:

To answer your question in bold...no, it doesn't necessarily make a young player better to give them more minutes. Constructive feedback and application of good feedback would help. However, Scott has openly said that he doesn't tell them what they need to do, that they're not owed an explanation for being taken out. This is crazy making.

Could you imagine being given the same exam by your professor multiple times without feedback, only to fail each time?

I agree with not explaining to these young players why I'm taking them out. As a coach, no explanation is needed at this point. Most games you can just look at the score, and sit on the bench and watch how we are being out-executed. No matter how we dislike Scott's game plan, if DLO is consistently not executing what he wrote up...take him out. DLO and the rest of the rooks are too young and inconsistent to warrant such an explanation.

This doesn't make sense to me. As an educator, I think it's paramount to teach about the process, not just the content (i.e., the score says we're losing), otherwise students will keep making the same mistake.

How about teaching a player how to set the screen when they have bad form?

How about teaching the ball handler how to brush the pick so the big doesn't cheat and get called for an offensive foul?

In other words, how is someone supposed to know that they don't know? Apparently, the coach should just cross their arms.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Look at Scott's damn offensive system. DLO on multiple occasions last night was telling Huertas/Lou to leave the corner so that the big could have a post up (and passing opportunity while DLO cut baseline).

For one, Hertas and Lou are not rooks (technically Huertas is, but for the sake of argument) and they both play the perimeter. DLO is a combo guard who should be using his size to get inside the 3 point line where he can make easy plays for our bigs at the basket. But to stay on point, we need to remember DLO is a rookie. You don't explain every single little detail to a rookie. If you did, he would never learn to think for himself (especially since he's supposed to be a PG).
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject:

Dlo could get bigs easy looks, but they've been pretty poor at rolling to the basket or diving after dribble penetration.

Nshid, I just don't get your take on instructing rookies, saying that teaching them would inhibit their critical thinking and creativity. I've always thought that a strong foundation of knowledge would actually lead to improved critical thinking.

fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject:

nshid wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

For one, Hertas and Lou are not rooks (technically Huertas is, but for the sake of argument) and they both play the perimeter. DLO is a combo guard who should be using his size to get inside the 3 point line where he can make easy plays for our bigs at the basket. But to stay on point, we need to remember DLO is a rookie. You don't explain every single little detail to a rookie. If you did, he would never learn to think for himself (especially since he's supposed to be a PG).

Did you ever consider a scenario where what the coach is telling them to do is bad for the team? Where the coach doesn't actually know what is the right way to win basketball games is anymore?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject:

nshid wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You're missing the point.

DLO was GUIDING the "vets" (Lou/Huertas) about the proper execution of Byron's stupid system. He was pointing to them that they were in the wrong spots. That play was designed in Byron's book to get the ball to the post man, and DLO would curl to the 3 and cut baseline for a pass from the big.

Can't do that with Huertas/Lou camping at the 3 point line.

So he didn't make the mistake. But Lou, for example, not a damn comment about him and his defense and chucking.
nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
Dlo could get bigs easy looks, but they've been pretty poor at rolling to the basket or diving after dribble penetration.

Nshid, I just don't get your take on instructing rookies, saying that teaching them would inhibit their critical thinking and creativity. I've always thought that a strong foundation of knowledge would actually lead to improved critical thinking.

If I was coach and had this roster, the #1 things I would stress to the rookies would be executing the game plan and consistently playing hard (same as BS). Whether that game plan was simply passing the ball at least once as PG, or playing hard through screens, I would expect that game plan to be executed. Rookies needs discipline for nurturance. We've all seen what coddling has done to superstars in the past...they don't consistently play hard.

If I benched a player, I wouldn't respond if he got angry or asked me why he was benched. I would expect him to review the tape, say hello in practice, and point out his own mistakes. If he was right, I would say good job.

Three things I would expect from rookies would be respect, obedience, and hard work. Right now I don't see many of our rooks making executing the game plan their #1 priority, or focusing solely on D, or diving on balls like Dellavadova...just saying.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Right now I don't see many of our rooks making executing the game plan their #1 priority

Which game plan are you referring to exactly?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

Quote:
Right now I don't see many of our rooks making executing the game plan their #1 priority, or focusing solely on D, or diving on balls like Dellavadova...just saying.

DLO isn't perfect, and he's making mistakes.

But there are repeated examples like the one I just pointed out to you where he's running Byron's system and the vets are simply ignoring it.

Do you see why it's hard to respect the coach when you get chewed out for...running his system, while the guys like Lou/Kobe who are deviating away from it are praised?

If you want accountability, then you need to show some level of equality. Don't want to criticize Kobe? Fine. But don't reward Lou with a starting position for not following your plays (and we are in a 10 game losing streak with the supposed better backcourt lineup).
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

nshid wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:

If I was coach and had this roster, the #1 things I would be stressing to the rookies was executing the game plan and consistently playing hard (same as BS). Whether that game plan was simply passing the ball at least once as PG, or playing hard through screens, I would expect that game plan to be executed. Rookies needs discipline for nurturance. We've all seen what coddling has done to superstars in the past...they don't consistently play hard.

If I benched a player, I wouldn't respond if he got angry or asked me why he was benched. I would expect him to review the tape, say hello in practice, and point out his own mistakes. If he was right, I would say good job.

Three things I would expect from rookies would be respect, obedience, and hard work. Right now I don't see many of our rooks making executing the game plan their #1 priority, or focusing solely on D, or diving on balls like Dellavadova...just saying.

The huge problem with this is, if your players are intelligent and they figure out that the things you are telling them to do are not successful, they are going to ask you to change your strategy. And if you don't and stubbornly insist they do the same ineffective things, their effort WILL DROP. Because smart people aren't going to waste their time on something THEY KNOW to not work.

And that's the problem you have with the current young guns.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

No game plan whatsoever may actually be better. Just treat it like an And1 game and go out and hoop.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject:

nshid wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:

If I was coach and had this roster, the #1 things I would stress to the rookies would be executing the game plan and consistently playing hard (same as BS). Whether that game plan was simply passing the ball at least once as PG, or playing hard through screens, I would expect that game plan to be executed. Rookies needs discipline for nurturance. We've all seen what coddling has done to superstars in the past...they don't consistently play hard.

That's the problem. The lack of consistency you speak of, also comes from Scott. He gets benched for running the system, while vets can deviate, as others have mentioned. Scott does a poor job of positively reinforcing what he wants.

Scott probably scolds his dog for pissing where it's supposed to.

Last edited by Fastbreak32 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:41 am; edited 2 times in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Quote:
Right now I don't see many of our rooks making executing the game plan their #1 priority

Manning up? I think Byron has an ancient code that he's trying to have the players crack. Once cracked, the ancient secrets of basketball will reveal themselves.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Quote:

Manning up? I think Byron has an ancient code that he's trying to have the players crack. Once cracked, the ancient secrets of basketball will reveal themselves.

BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Quote:

In order to play in barons system a man first need to forget who he is.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Quote:

Like Indiana Jones & Raiders of the Lost Ark?

QuadDouble
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Quote:

How do you kill a man with no fear?

You put the fear.... IN HIM.

BYRON = TANK G.O.A.T.
nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Quote:

nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Quote:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13
Jump to: