What is DLo's true position?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which position do you think he should start at?
PG
65%
 65%  [ 39 ]
SG
18%
 18%  [ 11 ]
Neither
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 60

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject:

People are underestimating Curry's passing skill though. He's become this sort of scorer - and with Kerr they installed a similar offense (in principle) to what the Triangle is all about. Multiple playmakers, many guys interchanging in roles as the guy at the top making the passes to set up teammates. There's no real "position".

However Curry playing more traditional basketball offense - under Mark Jackson - he had averages of 8.5 apg. Even last year he had an average of 7.8 apg. The emergence of Green has helped Curry play more off the ball. But if we had rookie Curry, he'd be shooting lights out, and he'd be raking up the assists as well. His shot was always so natural and beautiful. He emerged in other areas, but if rookie Curry were on the team, he'd be showing his case for ROY. Byron Scott or not. Can't stop a shooter like that from showing his ability. And Curry would have played great off Bryant IMO, because again, he's a lethal shooter. Probably one of the few guys who I think would have made a stud backcourt pairing with Bryant in his prime would have been Curry. Not Chris Paul (would have been disaster IMO). Curry and prime Kobe. Oh man - just sick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
People are underestimating Curry's passing skill though. He's become this sort of scorer - and with Kerr they installed a similar offense (in principle) to what the Triangle is all about. Multiple playmakers, many guys interchanging in roles as the guy at the top making the passes to set up teammates. There's no real "position".

However Curry playing more traditional basketball offense - under Mark Jackson - he had averages of 8.5 apg. Even last year he had an average of 7.8 apg. The emergence of Green has helped Curry play more off the ball.

People aren't underestimating it at all. Everyone's simply saying that top guards these days can typically do either and pigeon holing them does no service to any of them. You're reinforcing that point.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject:

SG with insane play making abilities

Harden/Nash hybrid by style.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject:

I would have to go with Power Forward actually... Elite post game, above-average paint protector, and good midrange jumper. Good upper-body strength which allows him to bully defenders in the paint. Can also slide over and play Center in a pinch. I see him as sort of an Elton Brand/Carlos Boozer hybrid.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject:

He's a playmaking SG like Ginobli/Roy. He's at his best when he looks to score first then pass.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
He's a playmaking SG like Ginobli/Roy. He's at his best when he looks to score first then pass.

I gotta say, I don't get this at all. I don't see anything like Manu or Brandon Roy when I watch DLo. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see it.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

However Curry playing more traditional basketball offense - under Mark Jackson - he had averages of 8.5 apg. Even last year he had an average of 7.8 apg. The emergence of Green has helped Curry play more off the ball.

People aren't underestimating it at all. Everyone's simply saying that top guards these days can typically do either and pigeon holing them does no service to any of them. You're reinforcing that point.

And a guy like Curry looks to score first, and looks to dish it if he gets the attention of a second defender. If it's one-on-one and no help comes...the shot is going up.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

I gotta say, I don't get this at all. I don't see anything like Manu or Brandon Roy when I watch DLo. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see it.
He's 19 and will get stronger, quicker in the offseason. He doesn't have the ball handling or quickness of Curry but he's cerebral and crafty like Ginobli.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

He's 19 and will get stronger, quicker in the offseason. He doesn't have the ball handling or quickness of Curry but he's cerebral and crafty like Ginobli.

But Manu was never a high usage rate guy.

I see Dlo eventually as a guy with the ball in his hands a lot.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

But Manu was never a high usage rate guy.

I see Dlo eventually as a guy with the ball in his hands a lot.

Manu athleticism is so underrated here. The guy was kinda Kobe light, he could slash and dunk over and over. There is no comparison between him and Russell. Russell's game is paced.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"Like I dsaid, he was one of my favorite players growing up. Some say Michael Jordan and like that, but I always used to say Manu Ginobili, Brandon Roy, players like that
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Ginobli was a high usage rate guard with an avg of 25 .Parker avg was 25.5. Both took turns destroying teams in P&R. I see the same with JC playing Parker's role and Russell Ginobli. They just need better coaching.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Ginobli was a high usage rate guard with an avg of 25 .Parker avg was 25.5. Both took turns destroying teams in P&R. I see the same with JC playing Parker's role and Russell Ginobli. They just need better coaching.

Wow, I didn't realize that. Still, I don't know what it is, but I have a hard time seeing Manu in Dlo.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Wow, I didn't realize that. Still, I don't know what it is, but I have a hard time seeing Manu in Dlo.
I know it's hard to see but I do. He's just 19, Ginobli was 25 as a rookie. Just wait until he gets stronger in the offseason, he's still a kid.

Both JC and Russell usage rate is low because of Kobe and Lou. When both of those guys are gone, I think we'll see both JC and Russell take off.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers are grooming him as a "PG."

If he was playing pure "SG," I don't think Scott would jerk him around as much if his only job was to score.

I think that is the problem.

So your solution is what exactly? I think it's a waste of JC's talents to have him "set up" Byron's offense each time. I toyed around with the idea of DLO being a shooting guard earlier this year too, but I think he just facilitates passing better than any of the PG options we have.

Solution, let him play SG more and learn.

I'm not sold on JC and locking him up this summer. I'm open to the idea of getting a TRUE PG to run the team ... Mike Conley or Jeff Teague.

I like the versatility of DLo at 6'5" to defend both the 1 & 2.

If the Lakers whiff on Durant, my dream scenario is to have Westbrook as our PG. DLo play the 2. DeRozan at the 3.

Use DLo almost like a swiss army knife at the Guard spot.

The solution is to hire a real NBA coach.
scott12199
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Ginobli type of SG.
Harden if he peaks as a scorer and learns to act like Harden has (to draw extra FT's he doesn't really deserve).

Even defensively, in his peak, with about 10 pounds on him, do we really want him defending the quicker PG's in the league? We want him at 2 match up wise.

Success wise it's been shown - GST or great Triangle teams or the Spurs - multiple playmakers is what works. Not one ball dominant PG who runs everything ala Chris Paul.

I disagree but I suppose we will find out one way or the other. I would try to make him a PG to use his size as an advantage as opposed to making him a SG which negates his size on both offense and defense. Hes big for a PG but hes a bit small and unathletic for SG. Of course I could be wrong and he turns out to be a great SG. I just don't see it.

Brandon Roy was not that athletic but he was a great shooting guard. He should model his game after Roy.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject:

PG obviously, so what are the "neither" votes trying to say? (or better yet what is the OP trying to say by including the choice )

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I would have to go with Power Forward actually... Elite post game, above-average paint protector, and good midrange jumper. Good upper-body strength which allows him to bully defenders in the paint. Can also slide over and play Center in a pinch. I see him as sort of an Elton Brand/Carlos Boozer hybrid.

Put on 50 pounds and become the next Barkley.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:

Manu athleticism is so underrated here. The guy was kinda Kobe light, he could slash and dunk over and over. There is no comparison between him and Russell. Russell's game is paced.

I agree, Manu in his younger days was pretty darn athletic and could dunk over guys and did so pretty regularly. He also had a fantastic first step and was very tough to stop on his drives with his determination.

He also has been part of winning teams wherever he has been and plays hard defensively. Russell could learn from that, Manu plays hard on both ends consistently even now as an old guy.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

However Curry playing more traditional basketball offense - under Mark Jackson - he had averages of 8.5 apg. Even last year he had an average of 7.8 apg. The emergence of Green has helped Curry play more off the ball. But if we had rookie Curry, he'd be shooting lights out, and he'd be raking up the assists as well. His shot was always so natural and beautiful. He emerged in other areas, but if rookie Curry were on the team, he'd be showing his case for ROY. Byron Scott or not. Can't stop a shooter like that from showing his ability. And Curry would have played great off Bryant IMO, because again, he's a lethal shooter. Probably one of the few guys who I think would have made a stud backcourt pairing with Bryant in his prime would have been Curry. Not Chris Paul (would have been disaster IMO). Curry and prime Kobe. Oh man - just sick.

Take Curry after 1 year of college and put him on this team, he would be on the bench as well.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject:

scott12199 wrote:
defense wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Ginobli type of SG.
Harden if he peaks as a scorer and learns to act like Harden has (to draw extra FT's he doesn't really deserve).

Even defensively, in his peak, with about 10 pounds on him, do we really want him defending the quicker PG's in the league? We want him at 2 match up wise.

Success wise it's been shown - GST or great Triangle teams or the Spurs - multiple playmakers is what works. Not one ball dominant PG who runs everything ala Chris Paul.

I disagree but I suppose we will find out one way or the other. I would try to make him a PG to use his size as an advantage as opposed to making him a SG which negates his size on both offense and defense. Hes big for a PG but hes a bit small and unathletic for SG. Of course I could be wrong and he turns out to be a great SG. I just don't see it.

Brandon Roy was not that athletic but he was a great shooting guard. He should model his game after Roy.

Roy was underrated athletically. Decent quickness with some hops.

I think if DLo gets stronger, you will see his athleticism a bit more.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: