Trades of the last year: did we give up too much talent?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hydro21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject:

all i know is this years draft pick better be a scorer . a player that can still get his points and doesnt need kobe to get it for him.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject:

C/Fs always come at a premium. It takes a very good SF to get just a good PF. Kwame's price was relatively low for a C/F. Kwame's contract is also very cap friendly. The Lakers would have destroyed their planning had they kept Caron Butler. As it is, the Lakers have great flexibility. The best result would be for Kwame to get his act together. He's only 23, so he should improve. Kwame doesn't have to become a star for this to be a good trade. If you look at what Dale Davis 8.4/8.2 and Antonio Davis 10.1/7.5 made in their careers and the fact that both made the All-Stars once, it won't take a huge improvement for Kwame to reach the same level. Kwame reached 10.9/7.4 in his third season. If he can improve on that at all and improve his defense, he will be worth giving up Butler.

People were pretty happy just to see Chucky leave. He was more addition by subtraction. Profit may not be the offensive player Chucky is, but Lakers allowed a tremendous number of points last season. In some ways Profit was better than Chucky.

Rush played 48 games last season. Rush has only played 27 games this season. He's only shooting 37.3% from the field this season. He shot 38.7% from the field last season. Chronic injuries have taken their toll. Rush wasn't going to be the same player he was prior to his injuries. Ronny Turiaf and Charlotte's #2 pick in 2008 was a good deal.

JJ for a #2 pick and a trade exception was a strategic move. The Charlotte #2 pick in 2007 should be fairly low in the second round, almost a first round pick. The draft in 2007 should be much better than 2006. I'm not sure how close the Lakers are to the "Luxury Tax" threshold, but they figure to be a one and out in the Playoffs. The salary is relatively high, so the team may have a hard time making a profit this season. After the problems with Rush, they owed Charlotte a little more favorable deal. JJ would have created a problem in retaining his services. Moving him also created a roster spot.

Overall, the Lakers did get value for their players. They may have given up some talent, but that talent was 2 SFs out of a glut of SFs, a chronically injured SG and an undersized offensive minded PG. The Lakers filled the need for a C/F with potential, a big defensive minded guard, a two-way PF, and the flexibility of two draft picks. The Lakers traded players they didn't need for players to fill needed roles on the team.
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Darkndeep wrote:
The LA Times article talks about three games, Tony, are you going to base the Lakers entire future on that?

You read too much into that. I wasn't using it to quantify the last 1 1/2 season's; it was just timely in being posted at the very same time we were discussing SOME of the issues it brought up, so I reposted it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject:

twoface723 wrote:
Yup, those were horrible trades. No doubt we have a worse roster than last year.

That is flat out wrong. Last year the team had SFs filling too many positions. This year, we have Smush, who is much better defensively than Chucky and Kwame, who is much better defensively than anyone at the PF position last season. The team has been slumping defensively, but overall, they are giving a much better defensive effort. This roster is better balanced than last year's was.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
twoface723 wrote:
Yup, those were horrible trades. No doubt we have a worse roster than last year.

That is flat out wrong. Last year the team had SFs filling too many positions. This year, we have Smush, who is much better defensively than Chucky and Kwame, who is much better defensively than anyone at the PF position last season. The team has been slumping defensively, but overall, they are giving a much better defensive effort. This roster is better balanced than last year's was.

Can't argue with this post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
twoface723 wrote:

Co-signed.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
twoface723 wrote:

Really? Honestly now, who wouldn't rather have Caron Butler than Kwame Brown? Who wouldn't rather have Jumaine Jones than a future 2nd rounder? Sure Smush is something of an upgrade over Chucky, but all in all, I think our actual roster had more talent last year.

This suggests that despite all of the demands for a trade (my own included) we might be better off not trading, considering we seem to always get the short end of the stick!
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
twoface723 wrote:

Really? Honestly now, who wouldn't rather have Caron Butler than Kwame Brown? Who wouldn't rather have Jumaine Jones than a future 2nd rounder? Sure Smush is something of an upgrade over Chucky, but all in all, I think our actual roster had more talent last year.

This suggests that despite all of the demands for a trade (my own included) we might be better off not trading, considering we seem to always get the short end of the stick!

Are you serious? Kwame gives this team a BIG body. Without him, any viable offensive threats in the frontcourt wash ANY thing that Caron or JJ do offensively in the back court and wings.

btw, JJ is a ROLE player. At best, he's DG part 2. Why do people think he's this great stud player? Laron Profit filled in better and FIT better than JJ EVER would have in the triangle.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Darkndeep wrote:
Who would you trade, Tony, and what do you think the rest of the league would give up for them? None of this Smush for Ben Wallace stuff (although you seem more reasonable than that).

First of all, I would be willing to trade anyone not named Kobe Bryant or Andrew Bynum (unless Bynum could help get me KG, then I would have to consider it; I think Bynum's upside potential is just scary; unfortunately he won't be a true help for awhile, but he's worth the wait).

I respect Odom's rebounding, and role in initiating the triangle offense, and all-around game. He is not a second option, however, so he is not untouchable, but I want some damn good value for him at the same time, so he is not going easily.

I would have dealt Luke before JJ. I would not have signed Aaron McKie; I knew he would be a physical liability, and have been proven right. Raja Bell would have been a much better choice. I would have traded for Diaw. Oh, wait, don't want to get into a Mitch bashing session of how we could ALREADY have been better and had some answers to this question. Yes, what can be done with this current mess?

-There are some expiring contracts the Lakers have, so there is some value for guys like Slava, George, etc; more value then they actually bring to the court....
-I wouldn't mind picking up a guy like Tony Delk. Probably can be had somewhat cheaply;
-Deng + Henrich for Lamar/filler?
-Sasha for a happy meal and a pack of Slim Jims, and a case of Diet Pepsi.
-Expiring contracts + Kwame Brown for Al Harrington (have no idea if this would be enough for Atlanta, or if salary matches; I don't go on realgm and do that sort of thing);
-George for Delfino?
-any deal that ditches Slava's expiring contract, sends Luke, Cook, and Sasha away (I know people argue for Cook, but I really hate the guy, but's that's another thread).

I'm sure there are plenty of people who can chime in with some ideas as well. I'll probably have some more tomorrow as well, but my brain is fried today...
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
twoface723 wrote:

I really haven't been impressed by Smush's defense, myself. I think a lot of the improvement overall in the Laker defense is a credit to Phil Jackson and his emphasis on it, not by a marked inprovement in defensive players (slight upgrade, but mainly, I think it is coaching).
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Vlade wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
twoface723 wrote:

Are you serious? Kwame gives this team a BIG body. Without him, any viable offensive threats in the frontcourt wash ANY thing that Caron or JJ do offensively in the back court and wings.

btw, JJ is a ROLE player. At best, he's DG part 2. Why do people think he's this great stud player? Laron Profit filled in better and FIT better than JJ EVER would have in the triangle.

I'll give you the point about JJ, but Kwame vs. Caron... come on!

Kwame Brown
Los Angeles Lakers
2005-06 Statistics
PPG 6.0
RPG 6.0
APG .9
SPG .41
BPG .65
FG% .460
FT% .522
3P% .000
MPG 25.8

Caron Butler
Washington Wizards
2005-06 Statistics
PPG 16.2
RPG 5.4
APG 2.5
SPG 1.60
BPG .26
FG% .434
FT% .870
3P% .256
MPG 33.6
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Last year's aren't of great value right now. The amnesty provision this summer allowed most teams to dump the players that they wanted to dump. And with guys like Penny Hardaway (some 15 million??) and Antonia Davis (15+ million) hanging out there as expiring contracts, DG and Slava aren't of real great value right now.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
Vlade wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
twoface723 wrote:

Kwame Brown
Los Angeles Lakers
2005-06 Statistics
PPG 6.0
RPG 6.0
APG .9
SPG .41
BPG .65
FG% .460
FT% .522
3P% .000
MPG 25.8

Caron Butler
Washington Wizards
2005-06 Statistics
PPG 16.2
RPG 5.4
APG 2.5
SPG 1.60
BPG .26
FG% .434
FT% .870
3P% .256
MPG 33.6

Well, as long as you keep using "stats" as a way of valuing a player, you'll continue to think Kwame is a horrible player. In case you didn't realize, he's our best post defender. Who was going to man the post in your "Butler should have stayed" scenario?
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Vlade wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
Vlade wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
twoface723 wrote:

Kwame Brown
Los Angeles Lakers
2005-06 Statistics
PPG 6.0
RPG 6.0
APG .9
SPG .41
BPG .65
FG% .460
FT% .522
3P% .000
MPG 25.8

Caron Butler
Washington Wizards
2005-06 Statistics
PPG 16.2
RPG 5.4
APG 2.5
SPG 1.60
BPG .26
FG% .434
FT% .870
3P% .256
MPG 33.6

Well, as long as you keep using "stats" as a way of valuing a player, you'll continue to think Kwame is a horrible player. In case you didn't realize, he's our best post defender. Who was going to man the post in your "Butler should have stayed" scenario?

Hell, that would open up more time for Bynum, whom I prefer on the court anyway. I'll grant that Kwame does a decent job in the post. He is our only guy who consistently holds his position... but you can get guys like that w/o giving up so much talent. If the Lakers thought this was all they were getting, no way they make the trade. Also, though Kwame holds his position well one-on-one, he gets lost whenever any help defense is required. Nobody's talking about him for the All-Defensive Team!
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
Vlade wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
Vlade wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
twoface723 wrote:

Kwame Brown
Los Angeles Lakers
2005-06 Statistics
PPG 6.0
RPG 6.0
APG .9
SPG .41
BPG .65
FG% .460
FT% .522
3P% .000
MPG 25.8

Caron Butler
Washington Wizards
2005-06 Statistics
PPG 16.2
RPG 5.4
APG 2.5
SPG 1.60
BPG .26
FG% .434
FT% .870
3P% .256
MPG 33.6

Hell, that would open up more time for Bynum, whom I prefer on the court anyway. I'll grant that Kwame does a decent job in the post. He is our only guy who consistently holds his position... but you can get guys like that w/o giving up so much talent. If the Lakers thought this was all they were getting, no way they make the trade. Also, though Kwame holds his position well one-on-one, he gets lost whenever any help defense is required. Nobody's talking about him for the All-Defensive Team!

That's cause nobody is willing to admit that he's NOT as big a bust as thought to be. He's a great man defender in the post.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject:

And considering Bynum can't be effective for more than 10+ minutes per game, you're then asking for Mihm, Cook and LO to man the 4/5 position for roughly 80 minutes between them. It's simply too much to ask. And NO, you can't just get a "find" anybody to play post D the way Kwame does. If that were the case, no teams would ever worry about Tim Duncan or Shaq.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
And considering Bynum can't be effective for more than 10+ minutes per game, you're then asking for Mihm, Cook and LO to man the 4/5 position for roughly 80 minutes between them. It's simply too much to ask. And NO, you can't just get a "find" anybody to play post D the way Kwame does. If that were the case, no teams would ever worry about Tim Duncan or Shaq.

Sorry, I just think you are overstating Kwame's defensive presence. As I've stated, he is a good (not great) man defender, and a poor help defender. Offensively he shows potential, and then drops the ball out of bounds.
loyola66
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject:

offseason,

shoulda kept butler and jurmaine, even if it was for temporary or better trade bait, get rid of luke and devean instead,

if you really wanted kwame, im pretty sure you could get him for less, much less than a caron butler

i dont see the lack of "bigs" being such a huge deal, or at least it would be one easier to fix during the season rather than trying to find consistent offensive threats...
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject:

loyola66 wrote:
offseason,

shoulda kept butler and jurmaine, even if it was for temporary or better trade bait, get rid of luke and devean instead,

if you really wanted kwame, im pretty sure you could get him for less, much less than a caron butler

i dont see the lack of "bigs" being such a huge deal, or at least it would be one easier to fix during the season rather than trying to find consistent offensive threats...

Yep, since every team in the league is willing to give up their bigs, since they're not very valuable right now. :roll:

And we all KNOW offensive minded players are non-existant in this league. :roll:
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
loyola66 wrote:
offseason,

Yep, since every team in the league is willing to give up their bigs, since they're not very valuable right now. :roll:

And we all KNOW offensive minded players are non-existant in this league. :roll:

Look... we could have just signed Elden Campbell to do what Kwame is doing...
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
loyola66 wrote:
offseason,

OMG...

OK Vlad. I'm not even going to argue this anymore. Not after that kind of solution...36+ yr old ass Elden Campbell.

OMG...

WOW....
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Vlade wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
loyola66 wrote:
offseason,

OMG...

OK Vlad. I'm not even going to argue this anymore. Not after that kind of solution...36+ yr old ass Elden Campbell.

OMG...

WOW....

I thought you'd get a kick out of that one...
But really, though I like the post defense aspect of Kwame's game, I really do think that thus far he has been a bust, even compared to our modest expectations. I hope that changes, I really do...
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Oh...OK. Good, I thought you were serious about Elden Campbell. I didn't know how to respond to that. Unfortunately, now someone is going to take that idea and run with it.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Yes... and maybe we can get Cedric Ceballos back as well!
loyola66
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject:

kwame=10 pts inconsistently (very)

butler and jurmaine= 30 pts consistently

I'd rather we run and gun and win games this way as we bring in our rookies and add different peices, and develop our defense as we go.

Anybody can play D, it's just a mindset, you'd think most players in the league can sink an open shot, well apparently most of the players on this team cant, and thats why i said what i said
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: