Don MacLean vs Byron Scott FEUD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject:

http://i.imgur.com/lpToakx.jpg

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject:

As amusing as this all is, I really wished Byron was asked why do the Lakers play a style of basketball that is no longer conducive to winning. Which by the way, Don talked about as well.

!...
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject:

The sad part is once the shackles and lousy lineups are finally removed and he naturally starts to play better Byron and his supporters will use this as ammo to say "See, I told you it was working". It was the same con job last season with Clarkson.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
The sad part is once the shackles and lousy lineups are finally removed and he naturally starts to play better Byron and his supporters will use this as ammo to say "See, I told you it was working". It was the same con job last season with Clarkson.

And every point guard who flourished IN SPITE of Scott.
Jbar805
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject:

During Football Season I eat Dinner and watch football with DMac and some buddies at a restaurant in Westlake. He's a super down to earth. Very nice guy who knows his Shizzz.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject:

Jbar805 wrote:
During Football Season I eat Dinner and watch football with DMac and some buddies at a restaurant in Westlake. He's a super down to earth. Very nice guy who knows his Shizzz.

Sounds like it. I wish he had a twitter account. Spoke some damn truth to power. If you see him, do give him our regards from all Lakers fans.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Jbar805 wrote:

Sounds like it. I wish he had a twitter account. Spoke some damn truth to power. If you see him, do give him our regards from all Lakers fans.

Agreed, please tell him how much we appreciate him speaking up for us!

Someone brought this up in the Scot P&M thread:

Kobe gets 38 on high efficiency, all the young guys play well, we're playing the wolves, and yet we only win by 4.

That right there tells you our system is trash. Both offensively and defensively. This is why I don't agree when people accuse the young guys on our team of being ISO prone. Those are literally the ONLY opportunities this system is designed to get them!

I yearn for a true team oriented system for these guys! I yearn for it!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Drifts wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Megaton wrote:
tnell wrote:
These Scott defenders have to be some of his relatives or something geez lol

It's mostly just Drifts doing his same old shtick again.

why, because I don't think letting Russell commit 15 turnovers in 36 minutes is a good thing?

if Byron Scott allows one guy that much leeway, he better give that same leeway to everybody, or else he'll lose the WHOLE team. Coaches should always look fair, favoritism will RUIN the entire team Scott is trying to develop. Some may even become resentful to Russell if Scott allows that kind of thing.

It's weird to see most only concerned about how much Russell eat and want him to more and more, without consideration from other guys on the team. Bewildering to say the least.

Scott needs to look after the whole TEAM, not just ONE guy.

The reason you're seeing a focus on Dlo is because he was the #2 pick. I'm not sure why you feel like everything has to be equal. Some players are better than others. Some are believed to have more potential.

I think the reason you're seeing a focus on Russell is because he is believed to have the highest potential of the young guys. That's why you don't see folks clamoring for more shots for Sacre. It's not arbitrary. The Lakers basically tanked to get Dlo so it's only that they, and the fans, want Dlo, perhaps even more so than the others, to be put in a position to maximize the realization of that potential.

there is more to developing a young guy than just throwing him out in the wild and hope he survives. That is a double edged sword; maybe he survives and we see him revealed a hero, or he dies and is never heard of again.

But Scott is not going the lazy route, and is taking Russell's development in stride, based on his assessment. Besides, Russell is barely past half a season goodness sake...

Rather than focus on minutes, or how many plays he gets or how many shots he takes or whether he has the keys to the car or not, Russell needs to focus on the more important things of being a pro like working hard, being a good teammate, listening to the coach, playing with the team, and most of all, accountability. Because after all those, minutes and plays and shots will follow.

You're right. Throwing a guy out to the wild comes with risk. But so does keeping a young guy in a bubble he's never able to break out of.

The key is balance. And a good coach will find that balance. I'm just not seeing that from Byron, are you? I mean, what specifically, are you seeing from Byron that is deliberately being undertaken in order to maximize DLO's potential?

We don't run any schemes out there for DLO, and when he is out there, he's tasked to give up the ball early and go run to the corner.

Do you think the reason we're doing that is for KFT perhaps?

Russell is playing under a system, and majority of his shots are within the system - which I am happy with. He goes out of the system sometimes, but it's at an acceptable rate, I have no complaints about it...
actually, I have very little complaints with how Russell has played the past month. He's struggled, but that's just probably the wall hitting him a little.

I just don't agree with McClean plain and simple, and I think Byron is right. I don't think throwing him into the wolves is the right way to go. I can see Byron giving him more minutes in due time. But I don't really see the urgency though.

Lol@ System. DLO goes out of the system? What exactly is the system? I see a bunch of one on one play until DLO comes into the game so what system is this you speak of and is DLO the only playing in it?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject:

You know who else played in the "system?"

Civil War soldiers who lined up and directly faced their enemies.

Or Custer's last stand?

Or WWI trench warfare where guys just ran straight at machine gun fire.

Commander Byron: "Just stay in the damn system..."
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
I don't think drifts is saying he's happy with Byron's system; I think he's saying he's happy that Russell is playing within Byron's system.

This doesn't make sense though.

If you don't like the system, how can you be happy a player is playing within it???

Unless ... You want said player to be in something you don't like.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
I don't think drifts is saying he's happy with Byron's system; I think he's saying he's happy that Russell is playing within Byron's system.

If you don't like the system, how can you be happy a player is playing within it???

Ahh ha
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject:

The Gr8 Lakes wrote:
I've been around a loooong time on this board. This nonsense about Russell is really ruining the site. I love debating and the Lakers but the blatant misuse of stats and facts to fit ones disdain and agenda is boring. I don't quite understand the idea behind this. Almost anyone that reads Don Mclean's quites understand what he meant. Take the shackles off Russell and Byron is a poor coach. What's so difficult?? Byron is historically bad. Lots of basketball minds see that. He's a relic and can't get out of his own way. The complete opposite of a visionary. In regards to Russell, yes we want our rookies to be brought along and given the best chance at success. Is that playing him 27 minutes and throwing him under the bus every turn?? Is that holding him accountable for all his failures while ignoring his accomplishments?? I for one, don't see many teams draft a player 2nd and make him the back up PG to a gunner 6th man. Lou is a scorer. That's all. His deficiencies trump DLO. Yea he can draw fouls and score. That's it. I digress. Bottom line here is certain posters love to be the fat kid with the football in this debate. It's very tiresome. Don't dig your heels in the ground so deep on an issue that only you agree with. That tells you a lot.

Well said and your time on the board has made me feel much better about my low post count.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject:

The Gr8 Lakes wrote:
I've been around a loooong time on this board. This nonsense about Russell is really ruining the site. I love debating and the Lakers but the blatant misuse of stats and facts to fit ones disdain and agenda is boring. I don't quite understand the idea behind this. Almost anyone that reads Don Mclean's quites understand what he meant. Take the shackles off Russell and Byron is a poor coach. What's so difficult?? Byron is historically bad. Lots of basketball minds see that. He's a relic and can't get out of his own way. The complete opposite of a visionary. In regards to Russell, yes we want our rookies to be brought along and given the best chance at success. Is that playing him 27 minutes and throwing him under the bus every turn?? Is that holding him accountable for all his failures while ignoring his accomplishments?? I for one, don't see many teams draft a player 2nd and make him the back up PG to a gunner 6th man. Lou is a scorer. That's all. His deficiencies trump DLO. Yea he can draw fouls and score. That's it. I digress. Bottom line here is certain posters love to be the fat kid with the football in this debate. It's very tiresome. Don't dig your heels in the ground so deep on an issue that only you agree with. That tells you a lot.

Slow clap
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:

Lol@ System. DLO goes out of the system? What exactly is the system? I see a bunch of one on one play until DLO comes into the game so what system is this you speak of and is DLO the only playing in it?

the system is questionable, I grant you that. But there is more to learning than style of play. Coaching changes happen frequently and with that comes a change with style of play... but rookies learning hard work, team work, respect, accountability and the intangibles of the game will last them their whole careers.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like a recruiting pitch by a Division 3 coach to a top ranked high school basketball player.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

He's happy that D'Angelo is listening to the coach and showing discipline, by playing within the system. It makes perfect sense.

Last edited by Outspoken on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Car54 wrote:

the system is questionable, I grant you that. But there is more to learning than style of play. Coaching changes happen frequently and with that comes a change with style of play... but rookies learning hard work, team work, respect, accountability and the intangibles of the game will last them their whole careers.

Byron is teaching no one on that roster any of those things you mentioned.

Maybe "respect your elders" that's about it. That's the central frustration with him. I think if he were doing everything else right, people wouldn't be so critical on this issue.
jumpinmp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sounds like a recruiting pitch by a Division 3 coach to a top ranked high school basketball player.

Haha. That's hilarious.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19
Jump to: