Does Mitch Have A Lifetime Contract?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Does Mitch Have A Lifetime Contract?

I have to ask because the team is 57-157 since the start of the 2013-14 season.

I hear a lot of carping about Byron, but I am not sure any coach wins with this roster as constructed...frankly, it stinks.

Will Mitch continue to be as safe in his job as a Supreme Court Justice if the team continues to lose at this historic pace. A loss tomorrow night gives this club longest Lakers losing streak of all time.

Yikes. Time for a change in my opinion and not just at head coach.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject:

I don't see how any of this is really Kupchak's fault. He has maximized opportunities with the draft, signed Bass, Hibbert, Lou... which are really solid gets.

But, the talent on the floor is definitely being optimized. That part is obvious.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Mitch Have A Lifetime Contract?

LakerLanny wrote:

I hear a lot of carping about Byron, but I am not sure any coach wins with this roster as constructed...frankly, it stinks.

Will Mitch continue to be as safe in his job as a Supreme Court Justice if the team continues to lose at this historic pace. A loss tomorrow night gives this club longest Lakers losing streak of all time.

Agree.

This roster is pathetic. It is so bad that I cannot understand how Jim Buss can tell the media before this season that this team had "turned the corner" and we were in "dynamite position".

My gosh what is he thinking about!!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Mitch Have A Lifetime Contract?

LakerLanny wrote:

I don't have a problem with Mitch. He has drafted well and made some nice trades. Can't blame him for injuries and some of the other issues we've had.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Mitch Have A Lifetime Contract?

laker4life wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Agree.

This roster is pathetic. It is so bad that I cannot understand how Jim Buss can tell the media before this season that this team had "turned the corner" and we were in "dynamite position".

Look at it this way.

Talent-wise, the Lakers are vastly improved from two years ago.

Even MDA won more games at this point.

silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Howard leaving, Nash getting perma-injured and Kobe being perma-injured... to go along with the Paul deal killed us in the short term. Only mistake I saw from Kupchak was the Gasol situation.

Jim hires the coaches so there's nothing he could do there.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject:

It is a stunted roster

1 center
3 undersized PF's
Our only legitimate SG plays SF
Our only legitimate SF is a rookie
Our SG's are midgets and one is playing PG
Our best PG is a rookie

Terribly constructed roster
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Mitch Have A Lifetime Contract?

Mike@LG wrote:
laker4life wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Agree.

Look at it this way.

I am not sure about that. The roster from two years ago was not that bad.

We had Gasol. Nick Young was playing his mind out.

I recognize that coaching is important but you need players.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Do people really want Jim Buss to hire a new GM? Seriously?

I'm sure Kupchak likes his salary, but he could easily find a cushy consulting gig similar to what West is doing with 1/10th the stress. The guy isn't blameless, but he's one of the few competent minds in the front office, he's a professional with integrity, and the guy clearly loves the Lakers and is willing to put up with the Buss kids' bickering in order to get the Lakers back on track.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Problem here is the coach. Again, lakers don't need to win anything this season, but the youngsters need to be coached in the game and outside the game, not in the press...
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject:

No way we are less talented than less year. I think Brad Stevens puts to rest the whole notion that you need talent to win. Boston is less talented than we are but on pace to win at least 40 games.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
It is a stunted roster

1 center
3 undersized PF's
Our best PG is a rookie

Disagree that it's terrible constructed. I could get into a long argument why I think it's just a severely underperforming roster.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Mitch Have A Lifetime Contract?

laker4life wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
laker4life wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Agree.

Look at it this way.

I am not sure about that. The roster from two years ago was not that bad.

We had Gasol. Nick Young was playing his mind out.

I recognize that coaching is important but you need players.

He has players. Does Randle not get double doubles? Is Nick Young not shooting the best in his entire career?

So, what's his excuse? Clarkson was a stud at the end of last year. Jeremy Lin was completely misused. Russell and Nance do things in limited PT that we rarely saw out of Laker players the past two years.

Nevermind the fact how injury riddled the past two years were. This team is relatively healthy. There's no excuse for just 9 wins. Really.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

I'm sure Kupchak likes his salary, but he could easily find a cushy consulting gig similar to what West is doing with 1/10th the stress. The guy isn't blameless, but he's one of the few competent minds in the front office, he's a professional with integrity, and the guy clearly loves the Lakers and is willing to put up with the Buss kids' bickering in order to get the Lakers back on track.

The only move I have disagreed with is acquiring Steve Nash.

How are the rest of the moves not seen as an advantage for the Lakers in the past 3 seasons?

GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Mitch gets a lifetime pass on LG for whatever reason. Any GM that allows this mockery that's going on needs to get evaluated hard. It's one thing to have an incompetent coach, it's another thing to not even intervene when you know what's happening is wrong. How do you draft a 19 year old kid 2nd pick and let this bum of a coach just destroy him. But it's all Jim Buss' fault here.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject:

What happened to everyone saying "Mitch slap?"

He must run things through his bosses (Buss family). I have confidence he will turn this ship around in 2016-18.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
He has maximized opportunities with the draft, signed Bass, Hibbert, Lou... which are really solid gets..

I think saying "maximized" is a stretch.

He hit nice on late picks of Clarkson and even Nance.

Randle was a good pick at his slot.

The Russell pick was not good at the 2 spot. I think that is obvious at this point but I said as much on draft night. Maybe it will change in the future, I hope so.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
Mitch gets a lifetime pass on LG for whatever reason. Any GM that allows this mockery that's going on needs to get evaluated hard. It's one thing to have an incompetent coach, it's another thing to not even intervene when you know what's happening is wrong. How do you draft a 19 year old kid 2nd pick and let this bum of a coach just destroy him. But it's all Jim Buss' fault here.

He's looking like one of the worst GMs in the NBA. Signs up a useless players like Lou and Nick. Keeps around waste of space Sacred, Kelly, Heurtas. Its time to start scrounging up some talents in D-league, like Vander Blue. I'm starting to get sick of his passiveness.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
He has maximized opportunities with the draft, signed Bass, Hibbert, Lou... which are really solid gets..

The Russell pick was not good at the 2 spot. I think that is obvious at this point but I said as much on draft night. Maybe it will change in the future, I hope so.

What's so obvious? Guys like Jerry West and Phil Jax were gushing over DLO. And I'm almost 100% certain that philly/ny both would taken DLO at #2.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I understand that Russell doesn't look as good at #2. Every Laker game I watch, I see how poor the spacing is on offense, and that's note solely on Russell, and yet, he finds subtle ways to excel.

Understand he doesn't pass the eye test, but the dude raises Clarksons FG% to 45% FG and 40% 3ptFG on the floor. I'd even argue that he has a higher rate hitting the roll-man on PnR with greater conversion rate too.

All four of those picks are good picks. Even Anthony Brown. Even gave Robert Upshaw a chance. I used to really dislike Kupchak's drafting. Across the board with the draft, sans Upshaw, he has taken guys that we have generally liked. It's not just a 4-year college guy in Cook and Walton. It's athletic 4-year college guys with defensive credentials (Nance) and 3 and D roles (Brown).

That's huge. I mean really, what other opportunities has he not tried to maximize? Other teams are not looking to help the Lakers in any way.

defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
defense wrote:
It is a stunted roster

1 center
3 undersized PF's
Our best PG is a rookie

Disagree that it's terrible constructed. I could get into a long argument why I think it's just a severely underperforming roster.

I agree with you that it's under performing but I also believe that it is a bad roster as a whole. I mean everyone knew that aside from Roy no one was going to play good enough defense. Our size issue has been a problem all season long. Behind Hibbert who do we have that's not undersized? People act surprised when we get out rebounded and destroyed in the paint. Its a bad roster. We are under performing too, but its a bad roster.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

What's so obvious? Guys like Jerry West and Phil Jax were gushing over DLO. And I'm almost 100% certain that philly/ny both would taken DLO at #2.

It could be worse. Just the change in offensive philosophy has Okafor shooting 56% from the field, but not playing crunch time minutes.

And Porzingis? Sorry, but I still don't trust Scott and minutes, considering how much he is still overplaying Bryant and not really balancing rookie minutes together as a unit. The team was severely injured the past two seasons. Do I think Porzingis has a higher rate of injury if he goes to LA? Absolutely.

We can elaborate further. Do any of us think that Byron Scott would help Porzingis excel in any fashion?

GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:

He's looking like one of the worst GMs in the NBA. Signs up a useless players like Lou and Nick. Keeps around waste of space Sacred, Kelly, Heurtas. Its time to start scrounging up some talents in D-league, like Vander Blue. I'm starting to get sick of his passiveness.

Not only does he sign these guys like Nick Young, Lou Williams and that dumpster Luke Walton, he gives them extra years for absolutely no reason. Nick Young...4 years... out of prime Artest for 5 years, Luke Walton to 6 years, Lou Williams for 3 years. He has no clue what he's doing.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:

The only move I have disagreed with is acquiring Steve Nash.

How are the rest of the moves not seen as an advantage for the Lakers in the past 3 seasons?

Steve Nash was an overpay, dropping Bazemore was shortsighted, and there have been some FA decisions that bug me in a vacuum without knowing what other players might have been interested (not pursuing Koufos or Corey Joseph; Bass over Biyombo), but I'm a Kupchak supporter.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject:

So many Monday morning quarterbacks here. I recall a few of you jumping with joy about Nash/Howard, even cp3.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: