Does Mitch Have A Lifetime Contract?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
QuadDouble wrote:
As a GM he's making lemonade- keep Byron. Keep the pick. Move on.

Fire Byron. Let an interim run the squad with a singular focus on the youngsters playing. Keep the pick.

That is where the stupidity enters the discussion, there is no keep the pick. Only luck keeps the pick. Nothing but pure luck.

Do you really think we're arguing otherwise?

I do when people post that we need to keep the pick. It isn't ours to keep unless we get real lucky.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

He won't be around much longer if we continue to lose like this.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

I am not sure what makes you think that. And if Jeannie is filling personnel positions, the circus will likely come to town. Most of the ideas that can be identified as hers were horrible ones.
QuadDouble
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject:

sickside323 wrote:
How quickly people forget when you start to lose a bit.

He got us CP3, and we got screwed by the commissioner.
He got us D12 and Nash, and we got screwed by 2 MAJOR injuries, along with D12 bolting.

All this AFTER winning 2 out of 3 finals not long before.

This is what rebuilding looks like. Suck it up because Mitch isn't going anywhere, nor should he.

THIS. ALL DAY.

How quickly they forget.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

You know he drafted your boy Jordan Clarkson. A little appreciation?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
I am extremely happy with Mitch Kupchak. It took a few years for him to shed his "Mitch Kupcake" persona, but he has definitely earned a lot of respect by us. He is no Logo, but who is?

Thank you! Once he got away from drafting "Triangle players" for Phil Jackson in the early-2000s, he's had an impressive track record compared to the other yahoos around the league, many of whom no longer have jobs.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject:

You can't blame Mitch for this mess. The downfall started when the decision to hire MDA over Phil was made, and that's not on Mitch. Ever since then, this organization has gone further and further down the toilet.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
QuadDouble wrote:

Fire Byron. Let an interim run the squad with a singular focus on the youngsters playing. Keep the pick.

That is where the stupidity enters the discussion, there is no keep the pick. Only luck keeps the pick. Nothing but pure luck.

I do when people post that we need to keep the pick. It isn't ours to keep unless we get real lucky.

i thought that if we finish with the worst record we are assured a top 3 pick, am I wrong?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
QuadDouble wrote:

i thought that if we finish with the worst record we are assured a top 3 pick, am I wrong?

Yes, you're wrong. Worst record is only guaranteed a top 4 pick.

Worst Record = 35% chance of losing the pick. If we finish second worse, 50% chance of losing it.

People need to view it as us having no pick at all, with a chance at maybe getting one.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
QuadDouble wrote:

Yes, you're wrong. Worst record is only guaranteed a top 4 pick.

Worst Record = 35% chance of losing the pick. If we finish second worse, 50% chance of losing it.

People need to view it as us having no pick at all, with a chance at maybe getting one.

we are screwed!

worst case scenario, we lose our pick, NJ gets the #1 pick that goes to Boston
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
QuadDouble wrote:

Context. The discussion was about maximizing our chances to keep the pick. It was centered around whether firing Byron would help or hinder our chances at keeping the pick. More specifically, does firing Byron hurt the tank?

"Real lucky" is not accurate. Currently our odds are 55.8% to keep the pick. To put it another way, there is a better chance that we keep it than not. If we finish in last place our odds are 64.3%.

So... keep Byron = preserve the tank = max our chances at keeping the pick was the argument.

To which I countered... fire Byron = let an interim play the young guys = preserve the tank = max our chances at keeping the pick.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Just found out we have to be in the top three next year as well (2017) to have one of our owed picks become two second round picks instead. Still would want Ingram or Simmons or the #3 pick, but if it drops to #4 or worse we get a shot with next year's class, at least.

Just hoping that if we do get leapfrogged, its the teams around 6-14 and not the 3-5 spots. That would really suck because we would have been 3-5 w/ a good coach.

As for the topic, I have a hard time telling what is Mitch and what is Jim. AFAIK, Jimbo's biggest moves were drafting Bynum and acquiring Nash.

Last edited by Laker_Dynasty_01 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject:

QuadDouble wrote:
sickside323 wrote:

He got us D12 and Nash, and we got screwed by 2 MAJOR injuries, along with D12 bolting.

This is what rebuilding looks like. Suck it up because Mitch isn't going anywhere, nor should he.

THIS. ALL DAY.

How quickly they forget.

This is akin to getting to the finish line but then holding up and showboating only to have someone else actually finish and win the race.

Got CP3, but was not able recover from it when it got vetoed. Could have gotten more aggressive but walked away only to let the Clippers take him and look where they are now.
Got Nash but mortgaged the franchises future in doing so, failed and now we witness the need to fail hard this season.
Got nothing for D12 before he bolted, nor Pau, spent a lot of time chasing shadows in free agency and lost out on pieces that could build a team that free agents actually would want to come to.

This is not nursery school where you get a prize for trying your best, the results speak for themselves. The last time the FO did good was with the initial Pau trade which won those championships. Since then they have failed harder each year.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Mitch Have A Lifetime Contract?

LakerLanny wrote:
I have to ask because the team is 57-157 since the start of the 2013-14 season.

I hear a lot of carping about Byron, but I am not sure any coach wins with this roster as constructed...frankly, it stinks.

Will Mitch continue to be as safe in his job as a Supreme Court Justice if the team continues to lose at this historic pace. A loss tomorrow night gives this club longest Lakers losing streak of all time.

Yikes. Time for a change in my opinion and not just at head coach.

It would be one of the worst decisions the team has ever made. Ever.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
QuadDouble wrote:
sickside323 wrote:

THIS. ALL DAY.

How quickly they forget.

This is akin to getting to the finish line but then holding up and showboating only to have someone else actually finish and win the race.

Got CP3, but was not able recover from it when it got vetoed. Could have gotten more aggressive but walked away only to let the Clippers take him and look where they are now.
Got Nash but mortgaged the franchises future in doing so, failed and now we witness the need to fail hard this season.
Got nothing for D12 before he bolted, nor Pau, spent a lot of time chasing shadows in free agency and lost out on pieces that could build a team that free agents actually would want to come to.

This is not nursery school where you get a prize for trying your best, the results speak for themselves. The last time the FO did good was with the initial Pau trade which won those championships. Since then they have failed harder each year.

A month before the trade deadline is when the team started playing better that year. You don't just trade that guy unless there's a really good deal. Kobe was averaging like 28-5-5 at that point in the season at Age 34; you don't just trade one of his best teammates unless it helps you get better during this small window.

As for the big free agents, remember Mitch does not have unilateral control over the franchise. He has bosses. He probably has enough wiggle room (e.g. on drafts, input on free agents is taken) on certain things but if his bosses, i.e. the Buss children, insist we go for the mega free agents (who aren't going to come here), there's not much he can do.

Without a sense of the FO dynamic it's unknown how much blame rests on Kupchak's feet, but we definitely have to acknowledge the circumstances. I think with our draft choices, Kupchak has proven he gets the modern game, which makes me think that (bleep) like the Byron hiring or chasing after Melo is not his idea... but that's just my take.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Just found out we have to be in the top three next year as well (2017) to have one of our owed picks become two second round picks instead. Still would want Ingram or Simmons or the #3 pick, but if it drops to #4 or worse we get a shot with next year's class, at least.

Just hoping that if we do get leapfrogged, its the teams around 6-14 and not the 3-5 spots. That would really suck because we would have been 3-5 w/ a good coach.

As for the topic, I have a hard time telling what is Mitch and what is Jim. AFAIK, Jimbo's biggest moves were drafting Bynum and acquiring Nash.

Did not know about next year.

If we lose the pick this year and next and we do not sign an all star free agent this summer, Jim Buss should just resign early.

No Need to wait to see if this team compete in a few years.

I can tell you the answer is NOT.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
Mitch gets a lifetime pass on LG for whatever reason.

Probably because most posters have memories that go back further than a season or two.

Seriously, what other GM - in any sport - has had the league commissioner veto a deal because the rest of the league was so badly torched? And this is after the Gasol deal in 2008.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Mitch Have A Lifetime Contract?

activeverb wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I hear a lot of carping about Byron, but I am not sure any coach wins with this roster as constructed...frankly, it stinks.

Will Mitch continue to be as safe in his job as a Supreme Court Justice if the team continues to lose at this historic pace. A loss tomorrow night gives this club longest Lakers losing streak of all time.

I don't have a problem with Mitch. He has drafted well and made some nice trades. Can't blame him for injuries and some of the other issues we've had.

On top of things, remember that the team was split on the draft, it was really Scott that convinced them that they should draft DLO, which is really odd.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Math wrote:
QuadDouble wrote:

How lucky is "real lucky"
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

Did not know about next year.

If we lose the pick this year and next and we do not sign an all star free agent this summer, Jim Buss should just resign early.

No Need to wait to see if this team compete in a few years.

I can tell you the answer is NOT.

If we lose the pick this year we keep our pick next offseason.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:

1. That is a TERRIBLE analogy. A more accurate analogy would be getting to the finish line and having someone cut your legs off right before you cross.

2. What future did we mortgage with the Nash trade? We're rebuilding and have gotten 2 top-10 picks and 2 steals (clarkson and nance) in the last 2 years. Kobe also comes off the books in 3 months.

3. How hard is it to realize what the game plan is? They are making efforts to bring in major free agents while simultaneously rebuilding through the draft which obviously takes a little longer. So far, no one has wanted to come through free agency but they will eventually. If we're not in the playoffs after next season, i'd be extremely shocked.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject:

sickside323 wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

1. That is a TERRIBLE analogy. A more accurate analogy would be getting to the finish line and having someone cut your legs off right before you cross.

2. What future did we mortgage with the Nash trade? We're rebuilding and have gotten 2 top-10 picks and 2 steals (clarkson and nance) in the last 2 years. Kobe also comes off the books in 3 months.

3. How hard is it to realize what the game plan is? They are making efforts to bring in major free agents while simultaneously rebuilding through the draft which obviously takes a little longer. So far, no one has wanted to come through free agency but they will eventually. If we're not in the playoffs after next season, i'd be extremely shocked.

Didn't we give up 2 firsts and 2 seconds?
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
sickside323 wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

Didn't we give up 2 firsts and 2 seconds?

did we not have two top-10 picks in the last 2 years with a chance for a top 3 next year?
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Honestly I think Magic is the biggest guy to blame, as to why the team blew up. After we got swept by Dallas, I remember him saying that Mitch needed to blow the team up, when we just came off of three Finals appearances and were facing the eventual champion Mavericks. After that Mitch pulled the trigger on the CP3 trade, Stern and the league vetoed it, Lamar fell off the deep end, and Pau was never really the same with us. Sessions was also a pretty terrible fit with us. Took some of the ball handling responsibilities off Kobe, but he couldn't space the floor when Kobe had the ball, which made Blake a more viable option down the stretch than him. Had Magic not made those comments on national TV, Lakers wouldn't have panicked, Lamar would still be in the league, and Pau would've had more of an incentive to stay.

I have a very hard time believing that the Lakers made any move based on something that Magic said.

And trading for Chris Paul isn't exactly what I would call a panic move.

If one of the GOATs who represents that respective team is on national TV after a humbling loss and says his team needs to blow it up, there's bound to be some repercussions. Sure, the CP3 trade wasn't necessarily a panic move, but trading Lamar a few days afterward certainly was.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Does Mitch Have A Lifetime Contract?

LakerLanny wrote:

Mitch would have to step down himself before he ever gets fired. So I say, yes, he has something of a lifetime job.

IMO, this has to do with the Buss clan being who they are. They have a close knit relationship with Mitch.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: