Jim Buss
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Jeanie is worse than jim

both need to go

Why does Jeanie get blamed for what are clearly Jim's decisions as a personnel guy? He got the players, and he hired the coaches.

If you want to blame Jeanie for Kobe, whatever. What were the Lakers realistically supposed to do about Kobe? Let a Laker legend who is still a cash cow walk to another team? If anything, it was a sound financial choice to extend Kobe. And there was still enough cap space to sign players.

Jim made the choice to try to hit Free Agency homeruns which blew up in his face. He even drafted Russell with the assumption that he would be able to convince Aldridge to come here.

Jeanie's job doesn't really involve basketball operations, that's Jim's job.

I still support Jeanie. She needs to fire Jim, and hire a new personnel guy to help Mitch.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Jeannie was asked about the timeline a few days ago on AM 570. I didn't get the feeling the timeline was that serious, she more or less dodged the question. She said they haven't even talked about it because with the young players we have, the assumption is that the team is going to do well in the future.

It was a PR move, like the KFT now. Anything to take the focus off the team.

Good point.

Great PR strategy; take the heat off the team by placing the blame on family incompetence. Yeah, that makes total sense. /sarcasm

The timeline was real. It was a tool to place the heat on Jimmy. Jimmy will obviously violate the timeline, but that won't necessitate his removal. What it does provide Jeanie with is another bullet point in a long list of grievances against Jimmy. Violating the timeline will demonstrate that Jimmy either doesn't have a realistic plan, or that Jimmy is inept at carrying out his improvement plan. That's a powerful message, and hardly a "PR move".

I'm sure Jeanie will remind the family members of that promise (and other "accomplishments") at future family meetings.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Jeanie is worse than jim

both need to go

Why does Jeanie get blamed for what are clearly Jim's decisions as a personnel guy? He got the players, and he hired the coaches.

If you want to blame Jeanie for Kobe, whatever. What were the Lakers realistically supposed to do about Kobe? Let a Laker legend who is still a cash cow walk to another team? If anything, it was a sound financial choice to extend Kobe. And there was still enough cap space to sign players.

Jim made the choice to try to hit Free Agency homeruns which blew up in his face. He even drafted Russell with the assumption that he would be able to convince Aldridge to come here.

I still support Jeanie. She needs to fire Jim, and hire a new personnel guy to help Mitch.

That's a no brainer. He should have been fired nearly a decade ago.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject:

I was listening to an interview with Howard Stern interviewing Magic Johnson and Dennis Rodman at the Playboy Mansion yesterday and it occurred to me that the there was an allure for young NBA superstars to Jerry Buss' swinging lifestyle that Jimbo just doesn't have. Dr. Buss used to hang out with Hef at the Playboy Mansion all the time. He would date Playboy Playmates all the time. He introduced the sexy Laker Girls in an era where there were no NBA dancers. (I remember as a kid going to games in the early 70's and watching the Laker girls grinding on the court, and thinking this is the best thing ever! The players thought that too.) Dr. Buss represented Hollywood glitz and glamor and the hedonistic lifestyle that can come with it that was so appealing to young burgeoning NBA superstars.

The Buss kids don't have any of that. They've tried to recruit based on a tradition of winning. It's just not enough. Hollywood is still there, it's just that the Laker org no longer has a direct legitimate connection.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Jeanie is worse than jim

both need to go

The most recent coaching hire was made by committee, including both Jeanie and Jim. You could say it was a mistake, but it also got us lottery picks. It's also a mistake that can be fixed this off season.

Russell was a good pick. We also got some late round steals.

There's nothing really wrong with the players other than they're still young. That they didn't squander the cap space and end up in mediocrity forever is a credit to them.

The FO has some blind spots but none that can't be fixed in time, while getting the big things (drafting, cap management) right. If they keep the head coach another year though, then I'll change my tune quickly.

Quote:
That's a no brainer. He should have been fired nearly a decade ago.

You mean not too long before the two championship years?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
OdomGrab wrote:
I have been wondering why this guy did not bring back PJ.

Can you imagine

GM: Phil Jackson
HC: Luke Walton

I also have a issues with people complaining about PJ trying to take over
the lakers and hiring Mike D was somehow Jerry's decision. Jerry Buss
probably thought JIM would be thrown out soon after he was gone if
PJ was around long enough since PJ is PJ.

Protecting JIM, if thats what he was thinking will only hurt us in the long
run.

The reason was Dr. Buss. He never liked PJ, he thought he was a snake, and didn't want him in the Laker FO. Even Jeannie towed that company line. Jim did offer Phil a consulting gig, but Phil wanted more.

Personally, what is wrong with having a snake in the FO if the team is winning championships or at least competing for championships?

I mean why does it matter if PJ or whoever was even an (bleep).

If he is able to put together a team that competes for championships, I would think ownership would not care.

Look at Knicks, they just want to win so they gave Phil the control that he needed.

If the Lakers was about winning, they probably could have done the same thing.

When Phil came the first time, Jerry West did not like Phil but Jerry Buss wanted to win.

They could have done the same thing.

Only Dr. Buss didn't do the same thing, he did the opposite which was to keep Phil as far away from him family as he possibly could. Do you have a family? Would you actively seek out someone that would tear them apart? If so, thankfully Dr. Buss is smarter than you.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Jeanie is worse than jim

both need to go

Jeannie's job as President involves everything about the Lakers. That includes personnel.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Jeannie was asked about the timeline a few days ago on AM 570. I didn't get the feeling the timeline was that serious, she more or less dodged the question. She said they haven't even talked about it because with the young players we have, the assumption is that the team is going to do well in the future.

Good point.

Great PR strategy; take the heat off the team by placing the blame on family incompetence. Yeah, that makes total sense. /sarcasm

The timeline was real. It was a tool to place the heat on Jimmy. Jimmy will obviously violate the timeline, but that won't necessitate his removal. What it does provide Jeanie with is another bullet point in a long list of grievances against Jimmy. Violating the timeline will demonstrate that Jimmy either doesn't have a realistic plan, or that Jimmy is inept at carrying out his improvement plan. That's a powerful message, and hardly a "PR move".

I'm sure Jeanie will remind the family members of that promise (and other "accomplishments") at future family meetings.

Actually that was the plan, they knew things weren't going to be pretty and decided that since Jeannie couldn't handle the criticism, Jim would be the fall guy since he was tougher. Good plan or not, it was what they had intended to happen if things went bad. If things went good, who would care.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Good point.

Actually that was the plan, they knew things weren't going to be pretty and decided that since Jeannie couldn't handle the criticism, Jim would be the fall guy since he was tougher. Good plan or not, it was what they had intended to happen if things went bad. If things went good, who would care.

Yep, Jim's very accustomed to failure so he's used to it.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Good point.

Right. According to ... who? Link?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Can't link conversations, nor would I name names. Though there is some reports out there that say similar things.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Can't link conversations, nor would I name names. Though there is some reports out there that say similar things.

We are collectively witnessing failure, yet every failed season of late has been punctuated by apologists posting that the Lakers front office intends to lose by design, as some sort of perpetual tank strategy. That's kind of like Pee Wee Herman falling off his bike, and then pretending to onlookers that he meant to fail:

Needless to say, I question the veracity and agenda of any sources who pretend that Jimmy and Jeanie are orchestrating failure and have plotted together Jimmy being made the scapegoat because he is stronger (ha). Given the dysfunction within the family, Jimmy and Jeanie do not see eye to eye and probably have trouble conspiring to have lunch together.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Good point.

Right. According to ... who? Link?

vlf is a self appointed insider
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
I was listening to an interview with Howard Stern interviewing Magic Johnson and Dennis Rodman at the Playboy Mansion yesterday and it occurred to me that the there was an allure for young NBA superstars to Jerry Buss' swinging lifestyle that Jimbo just doesn't have. Dr. Buss used to hang out with Hef at the Playboy Mansion all the time. He would date Playboy Playmates all the time. He introduced the sexy Laker Girls in an era where there were no NBA dancers. (I remember as a kid going to games in the early 70's and watching the Laker girls grinding on the court, and thinking this is the best thing ever! The players thought that too.) Dr. Buss represented Hollywood glitz and glamor and the hedonistic lifestyle that can come with it that was so appealing to young burgeoning NBA superstars.

The Buss kids don't have any of that. They've tried to recruit based on a tradition of winning. It's just not enough. Hollywood is still there, it's just that the Laker org no longer has a direct legitimate connection.

On top of what you said I think Dr. Buss had a knack for being a fatherly type figure for players. These factors always contributed to separating the Lakers from the rest of the NBA but now that both of those are gone we're left with another faceless "corporate" organization that no longer feels like a family. That can be problematic when the team is utter crap. If Dr. Buss was still around I wouldnt hesitate to say that even if the Lakers sucked there would be a bigger draw. People make decisions based on emotion most of the time and Jerry was great at connecting with people.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject:

K28 wrote:

I don't believe any of VLF's sources, it doesn't pass the giggle test. From what we can see, Jeanie isn't exactly blameless, but Jimmy is the one in-charge of basketball operations. In fact the entire timeline was intended to put pressure on Jimmy to take a stand: Make a forecast, following it with a plan, and then execute on that plan. Management 101. And now we're supposed to believe that the timeline was some ruse so we wouldn't blame the team, or Jeanie for the failure? Again, none of us with a brain find that believable. Fans will and should blame Jeanie. Fans will and should blame Jimmy. Fans will and should blame Byron. Why? Because this is a cluster (bleep), not a clever PR strategy. No PR strategy could ever hide this degree of failure. And now we're supposed to believe that failure is being laid at Jimmy's feet (despite his obvious innocence!) because he's some macho dude? Incredible.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject:

PushingtheLimit wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

On top of what you said I think Dr. Buss had a knack for being a fatherly type figure for players. These factors always contributed to separating the Lakers from the rest of the NBA but now that both of those are gone we're left with another faceless "corporate" organization that no longer feels like a family. That can be problematic when the team is utter crap. If Dr. Buss was still around I wouldnt hesitate to say that even if the Lakers sucked there would be a bigger draw. People make decisions based on emotion most of the time and Jerry was great at connecting with people.

All great points here. Dr Buss was one of those guys you wanted to hang out with. He had "swag" with the beautiful women at courtside, the Forum Club, his poker matches, etc. One look at Jimbo and you want to hand him some change and tell him "That's all I got".
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
K28 wrote:

I don't believe any of VLF's sources, it doesn't pass the giggle test. From what we can see, Jeanie isn't exactly blameless, but Jimmy is the one in-charge of basketball operations. In fact the entire timeline was intended to put pressure on Jimmy to take a stand: Make a forecast, following it with a plan, and then execute on that plan. Management 101. And now we're supposed to believe that the timeline was some ruse so we wouldn't blame the team, or Jeanie for the failure? Again, none of us with a brain find that believable. Fans will and should blame Jeanie. Fans will and should blame Jimmy. Fans will and should blame Byron. Why? Because this is a cluster (bleep), not a clever PR strategy. No PR strategy could ever hide this degree of failure. And now we're supposed to believe that failure is being laid at Jimmy's feet (despite his obvious innocence!) because he's some macho dude? Incredible.

Disagree.

She has literally let Jim make every single decision and has not flexed her muscle once. That is the very definition of blameless. She did not place Jim in the position he currently sits in, he is not the man she wants in that seat. But she has empowered him all the same. And she has put him on the clock. He's going to own these failures just as he's going to own his successes. Because he's the one running basketball operations.

When you can actually blame Jeanie, when she can be judged for her decision making, it's going to be about whom she hires to replace Jim and the outcome of that decision.

Right now, her hands are absolutely clean.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
K28 wrote:

Disagree.

She has literally let Jim make every single decision and has not flexed her muscle once. That is the very definition of blameless. She did not place Jim in the position he currently sits in, he is not the man she wants in that seat. But she has empowered him all the same. And she has put him on the clock. He's going to own these failures just as he's going to own his successes. Because he's the one running basketball operations.

When you can actually blame Jeanie, when she can be judged for her decision making, it's going to be about whom she hires to replace Jim and the outcome of that decision.

I don't know about that. I think Jimmy is a Man's Man, shouldering the blame for his sister's mistakes. When she asked Jimmy for a timeline on when the Lakers were to compete for a Championship, it was a ruse to fool the fans that she was responsible for the seasons of subsequent failure. Jimmy only pretended to promise Championship contention to save his sister from taking the blame for any basketball decisions. In fact, I'm sure if you Google really, really hard you'll find articles that will somehow confirm that bull excrement.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
K28 wrote:

Disagree.

I don't know about that. I think Jimmy is a Man's Man, shouldering the blame for his sister's mistakes. When she asked Jimmy for a timeline on when the Lakers were to compete for a Championship, it was a ruse to fool the fans that she was responsible for the seasons of subsequent failure. Jimmy only pretended to promise Championship contention to save his sister from taking the blame for any basketball decisions. In fact, I'm sure if you Google really, really hard you'll find articles that will somehow confirm that bull excrement.

For his sister's mistakes?

How can she be making mistakes when she is literally making 0 basketball decisions? None. I think it is quite ridiculous that any blame should be put on her. This has been confirmed by all involved parties, Jim and Mitch are making all the basketball decisions. It's their show.

But let's just put blame on Jeanie because...because...nothing. Don't pass the buck. Jeanie is as much to blame for our current situation as Derek Jeter. Which is to say, well, I think you know what that is to say.

Like I said, Jeanie should be judged for when she actually puts her man in place of basketball operations, the outcome of that decision. Jim is not on her. This mess is not on her. It's more on Jerry than it is on Jeanie. He is the one who put Jim in place.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Wait, how old is Phil? Do we really want to pit the Lakers rebuild for the next decade, heck, half decade on Phil who is 70 right now?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
K28 wrote:

Disagree.

She approved and supported every decision that was made. If blame it so be assigned then there is no one who is blameless.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
K28 wrote:

Disagree.

Jeannie has some blame.

However, most will fall on Jim which it should.

Bottom line is this lack of accountability is messing up this team.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject:

K28 wrote:

Personally, I don't think much of either Jim or Jeanie. And realistically, I don't know if Jeanie actually can fire him. No matter what titles they hold, that depends as much on the power/support they have with the other Busses. For all we know, the other Busses don't care about the Lakers w-l record, as long as the checks keep on a coming.
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
laker4life wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
OdomGrab wrote:
I have been wondering why this guy did not bring back PJ.

Can you imagine

GM: Phil Jackson
HC: Luke Walton

I also have a issues with people complaining about PJ trying to take over
the lakers and hiring Mike D was somehow Jerry's decision. Jerry Buss
probably thought JIM would be thrown out soon after he was gone if
PJ was around long enough since PJ is PJ.

Protecting JIM, if thats what he was thinking will only hurt us in the long
run.

The reason was Dr. Buss. He never liked PJ, he thought he was a snake, and didn't want him in the Laker FO. Even Jeannie towed that company line. Jim did offer Phil a consulting gig, but Phil wanted more.

Personally, what is wrong with having a snake in the FO if the team is winning championships or at least competing for championships?

I mean why does it matter if PJ or whoever was even an (bleep).

If he is able to put together a team that competes for championships, I would think ownership would not care.

Look at Knicks, they just want to win so they gave Phil the control that he needed.

If the Lakers was about winning, they probably could have done the same thing.

When Phil came the first time, Jerry West did not like Phil but Jerry Buss wanted to win.

They could have done the same thing.

Only Dr. Buss didn't do the same thing, he did the opposite which was to keep Phil as far away from him family as he possibly could. Do you have a family? Would you actively seek out someone that would tear them apart? If so, thankfully Dr. Buss is smarter than you.

I don't know VLF. Sounds to me like Jerry knew Jim well. I am not
saying you have to make PJ part owner. In business, especially a cash
cow that the lakers are, there will always be someone out there trying to
get more than they deserve. That is where good judgement keeps you
ahead of the game. And good guidance. Jim respects neither. (Firing staff)

Why should phil not get what he can get. He doesn't ask his daddy
for handouts, the man is self made and a bbal genius.
Glory should go to those who deserve it. Not daddy's first born.
That is how businesses fail and empires fall. I miss Jerry but this
guy Jim is a certified failure.

At this moment keeping the family together has got us 10-40. :/
Lakers are tanking instead of competing.
Their market share is shrinking
No one wants to come here.
People have moved on.

It's only a matter of time before all we talk about is past glory.

45+ mil for grandpa kobe ....like he needs more money?
Business is business.

LWilliams is our best offensive tool. LOL

Different coach every couple of years. Not to mention coaching, system
and players do not compliment one another.

Exactly who are we even supporting anymore?
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Blood is thicker than business. Unless you're the Lannisters or the Lyons.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: