Jim Buss
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcup
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Jim Buss

So when is his time up?

He said (and I don't remember when,) if he didn't get the Lakers to the playoffs that he would give up his position. So when is that? The end of this season? The end of next? I would love to know so I can publish a countdown clock to his imminent dismissal.

Because I'll be honest with all of you. I am seething and I'm sure most of you on here are too. I want him gone, and Byron.

I know this isn't a creatively unique take on the laughably bad state of the franchise and this has been uttered millions upon millions of times, so I won't go any further but...

I just wanted to know; how much time do we have left with this clown shoe?
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject:

tcup
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject:

LG doesn't have an emoticon to accurately convey how I feel. It's a combination of the following: + + +
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Jim Buss:

http://i.imgur.com/c4jt321.png
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Well since Byron gets multiple threads why not.

Jim need to go, Jeanie need to go. They need to sell the team to someone with a plan and direction that hire people who actually know about basketball and want to put a winning team on the court.
prestige
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:

Jim need to go, Jeanie need to go. They need to sell the team to someone with a plan and direction that hire people who actually know about basketball and want to put a winning team on the court.

100% agree! Jeanie and Jim should not be running the team at all
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Buss

tcup wrote:
So when is his time up?

He said (and I don't remember when,) if he didn't get the Lakers to the playoffs that he would give up his position. So when is that? The end of this season? The end of next? I would love to know so I can publish a countdown clock to his imminent dismissal.

Jeanie has said Jim will be gone if the team doesn't make a deep playoff run by 2017. That would be the end of next season.

That said, it's not like this is some legal contract. If Jeanie and Jim decide, "Hey, we like the core we've built so we are extending the deadline," there's nothing to say they can't. And there's nothing to say they can't decide "2017" actually means the end of the 2017-18 season.

If Jim wants to stay, and he can get the support of his family, he won't have any trouble rationalizing the deadline away.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Buss

activeverb wrote:
tcup wrote:
So when is his time up?

Jeanie has said Jim will be gone if the team doesn't make a deep playoff run by 2017. That would be the end of next season.

That said, it's not like this is some legal contract. If Jeanie and Jim decide, "Hey, we like the core we've built so we are extending the deadline," there's nothing to say they can't. And there's nothing to say they can't decide "2017" actually means the end of the 2017-18 season.

If Jim wants to stay, and he can get the support of his family, he won't have any trouble rationalizing the deadline away.

The deadline is a really dumb thing to have when you don't have full control of choosing the coach (not saying that I know he would have done differently). It really makes a big difference on whether a team starts to make that climb towards contention, especially in this era.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Buss

fiendishoc wrote:
activeverb wrote:
tcup wrote:
So when is his time up?

The deadline is a really dumb thing to have when you don't have full control of choosing the coach (not saying that I know he would have done differently). It really makes a big difference on whether a team starts to make that climb towards contention, especially in this era.

I am no fan of either of the Busses, and wouldn't shed a tear if Jim or Jeanie is gone, but I've always taken the deadline with a grain of salt.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Buss

activeverb wrote:
tcup wrote:
So when is his time up?

Or we can just watch these two idiot's (Jeanie and Jim) fight over who's right like they have likely been doing since they were 10 years old (probably fought over who got to sit on ulcle magics lap also) while the franchise and fans go down the toilet.. Frick them both, get em outta here and let them fight over dads money not his team.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Jeannie was asked about the timeline a few days ago on AM 570. I didn't get the feeling the timeline was that serious, she more or less dodged the question. She said they haven't even talked about it because with the young players we have, the assumption is that the team is going to do well in the future.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Buss

fiendishoc wrote:
activeverb wrote:
tcup wrote:
So when is his time up?

What?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Buss

USCandLakers wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
activeverb wrote:
tcup wrote:
So when is his time up?

What?

eznoh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:

+1

As often happens with scions, the business has been ruined. Time to move on.

Mike
alohalakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Buss

USCandLakers wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
activeverb wrote:
tcup wrote:
So when is his time up?

What?

I've always wondered if Byron was Jeanie's choice and not Jim's. After all I think they brought Byron back to interview 3 times before they hired him. He was pretty much their last choice and I think they knew what they were going to get. But Byron's hire is a typical let's relive Showtime - and the Laker's Glorious Past schtick that Jeanie loves, much the same as Kobe's sweatheart contract.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Jeannie was asked about the timeline a few days ago on AM 570. I didn't get the feeling the timeline was that serious, she more or less dodged the question. She said they haven't even talked about it because with the young players we have, the assumption is that the team is going to do well in the future.

if this is true....its my last year as a season ticket holder. Done!!!!
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Here is a link to the interview They ask about the timeline around the 9-10 minute mark:

LINK
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

The timeline was never realistic though. Jeanie jumped the gun. It just isn't enough time for even god to construct a good team. Time is needed. Now, if we blow it the next 3-5 years across the board, then you can start saying: "JIM RUINED LAKERZ".
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:

Yeah hire someone like Mitch Kupchak
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Here is a link to the interview They ask about the timeline around the 9-10 minute mark:

LINK

if she back tracks..... after making that bold statement....then she is an idiot just like her brother and I don't believe in her either. Exactly what have we seen over the last 3 or 4 years which would make a fan base believe they have this under control.....what would make a fan base believe that things will get better.....What I have been hoping for is the last days of jim buss. Now she might take that away........Well I haven't been watching the games over the last 2 years.....10 more years wont hurt...
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Jim to lose his job ... there are only fans not shareholders.

And that is today's lesson in the REAL WORLD.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

Yeah hire someone like Mitch Kupchak

Mitch is a professional and I feel terrible for him. If Mitch had full control I doubt things would be this way.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Jim Buss's role is completely pointless.

Mitch Kupchak doesn't need somebody telling what he can and cannot do, especially a son of the old owner who has never accomplished anything else in life. Just let him run everything basketball and sign the checks when he brings them to you. It's not like ownership has ever had a problem paying the enormous luxury tax payments when we are in contention.

Just make Kupchak both president and gm and get out of his way.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject:

I don't think he's leaving in 2017.
The Lakers have hit rock bottom in 2016.
They'll likely draft another stud in 2016 draft.

Randle, Russ, possibly Ingram. Then JC/Nance. Sign some vet FA's. Get an associate head coach or replace Byron. You're looking at a roster that likely doubles it wins next season.

Even though he promised the playoffs or I walk, I think he'll stay on. He'll point to the young talent on the roster and talk about the huge improvement in wins the last season (which would be next season).

Yes these are the times. 4 straight lottery seasons and I think he still keeps his job. The level of where an executive had the standard of being a playoff team every year and missing maybe once a decade, in Laker land, are over. We're no different than OKC, Clippers or any franchise now. It's just the reality. It's nice to talk about it and all, the Lakers history etc. all that, but in reality by summer of 2017 if he has Randle, Ingram, Russ and JC and has signed a couple of solid FA's, he's going to keep his job based on what the future after that could be like. The times and expectations have changed. Buss kids brought in a different culture and expectation, even if they don't say it in public. The very fact that they're willing to stay bad for so many years shows this. We're doing things we never ever would have in the past - simply because Dr Buss wouldn't have tolerated it. It's a different regime and for all that talk about Jeannie vs Jim, in the end they come from the same family and bottom line is the Lakers are worth almost 3 billion. Just get used to things being done more in line with other franchises vs being something extra special.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject:

Jeanie is worse than jim

both need to go
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: