Should the Lakers be gifted players?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject:

PatRileysHair wrote:
thehotsung8701A wrote:
PatRileysHair wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Lakers '16-17 roster:

DeMarcus Cousins/Hassan Whiteside
Anthony Davis/Blake Griffin/Julius Randle
Lebron James/Kawhi Leonard
Kevin Durant//Paul George/Klay Thompson/Jordan Clarkson
Stephen Curry/Russell Westbrook/D'Angelo Russell

you know, back when i was just regular superboy...i was getting really angry at the fans here for not being upset more vocally at the officials. All the illegal screens, pushes in the back, unfavorable officiating on kobe, etc. I was getting banned left and right, posters here were justifying the refs, saying how it all balances. i was pissed.

I was pissed because of this...we are the biggest fanbase, we might be bigger than all the other fanbases combined. so we have a lot of power as fans compared to other teams. the NBA,as you can see, is not a very balanced league. basketball is a difficult sport to balance compared to football or soccer, etc. because there are so many points. there's no 7 point play that instantly changes the game. usually, in a consistently called league (not the NBA), the better team wins 99% of the time, and if you are a lot better, you are up by 20 by halftime. anyone who has played leagues knows this.

i felt that if the Laker fans were not vocal about their displeasure about all this (and we were not), the NBA gets away with all their business goals like parity and such. If the Laker fans are happy either way, who cares? even now, the fans are nowhere near as angry as they should be about that veto. You know how crazy that was???

well, it happened. and the lakers and ONLY the lakers paid the price. sucks. i mean, i hate to say it but i was really frustrated with our fans on that stuff. and now i still see it...a lot of influential posters here won't allow any criticism against curry, lebron...but it's open season on any lakers...including legends! magic, byron, kobe get routinely hammered here, but god forbid you say something bad about curry or lebron. it's like this crazy over compensation. this is LA guys, Lakerland. this is basketball mecca. there's no other pro sports team that was this successfull...10 rings in 30 years? 15 finals in 30 years??

and we lost it in 2011. and we barely made a stink about it. and here we are marveling at the warriors, a laughingstock organization until recently, praising lebron...an overhyped, unskilled, all muscle no brains klunky superstar...over most likely the most skilled player ever. and he plays for the cavs, owned by the guy RESPONSIBLE for the 2011 fiasco. i mean, it gets me mad.

i remember when Sam Bowie (picked first over MJ in the draft) was a Laker, and then wondering what if Jordan was a Laker. Then Kobe turned out to be Jordan a handful of years after we thought we'd never see a guy like MJ for a long time...and I just feel we've lost all this once in a not a lifetime, but like national history...kind of thing we had with the Buss Lakers.

I honestly don't expect to see a decade like the 80s or the 2000s for the Lakers in my lifetime again. And that's not pessimism, that's just pure logic. It is highly highly unusual to have two of those decades.

the warriors have a chance now for a decade of their own. although it won't line up properly with the decades, but they are poised for an amazing 10 year run like a 2015-2025 decade.

I may remember your posts from those years. I had different username back then.

I'm a realist and a rationalist. The way i see things, every fan base thinks their team get's jobbed by refs. EVERYONE. Every fan base thinks they get the short end of the stick somehow, the other team cheated somehow, the league hates them for some reason. I had my complaints about reffing but i stopped. I had to stop making those complaints because i don't wanna look like one of those stark raving lunatic fans who sound whiny all the time. Reality check is that EVERYONE IS BIASED TOWARD THEIR OWN TEAM. You see things based on your own biases. Go on other message boards and see how they're biased toward their own team and how refs "screw them over"

Oh and the Chris Paul screwage. I've moved on. When you dwell on crap like that, you get eaten up by your own thoughts of how badly things are now and how much better they should've been. That's why i choose to make peace with it or else it's stark raving lunatic fan all over again

No way, every championships since 2011 should be ours man. There is no Miami Big 3, no stupid GS 13 year old looking superstar, no OKC, no Spurs, no nothing. Kobe would have way more championship than MJ.

Don't you understand? The Lakers would have their 20th or 21st championship right now. How are you going to let that stuff go?

Yea posts like these i can't take you seriously. How do you know it'll reach to a 21st championship right now? How do you trust Jimmy Buss to allow Mitch to build the right team around CP3 & Kobe? Yea adding superstars isn't a sure fire thing or else the Miami Heatles would be continually running the table.

regarding the officials...it's not that everyone is biased, that's not an accurate way to say what is happening. I think the more honest depiction is that the officials are highly inconsistent. The truth is...they ARE screwing all the teams, just at different times. That also doesn't "balance everything out". It just makes for messy basketball. the officials are inconsistent with all the teams in an unbalanced manner. the fans complain mostly about their own teams. the complaints are justified in most of the cases that I've heard. Very rarely do i hear a vehement complaint from a fan from another team, and upon closer inspection, it is not justified.

take this example....dare i bring it up...lakers and kings.
kings did get screwed in game 6, shaq got a lot of free throws. Yes, they were fouls, that's not the complaint. he wasn't called like that in all the other quarters, so the inconsistency got more noticed. kings fans are correct. However, laker fans also got screwed the game after.

how about portland game 7...(why the hell am I bringing these up? i shouldn't)
truth is...shaq got away with a very crucial foul on steve smith towards the end of the rally. total game changing play.

the problem is the ridiculous inconsistency. again, these are complicated social matters, but the nfl seems to do a better job at it.
PatRileysHair
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
PatRileysHair wrote:
thehotsung8701A wrote:
PatRileysHair wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Lakers '16-17 roster:

you know, back when i was just regular superboy...i was getting really angry at the fans here for not being upset more vocally at the officials. All the illegal screens, pushes in the back, unfavorable officiating on kobe, etc. I was getting banned left and right, posters here were justifying the refs, saying how it all balances. i was pissed.

I was pissed because of this...we are the biggest fanbase, we might be bigger than all the other fanbases combined. so we have a lot of power as fans compared to other teams. the NBA,as you can see, is not a very balanced league. basketball is a difficult sport to balance compared to football or soccer, etc. because there are so many points. there's no 7 point play that instantly changes the game. usually, in a consistently called league (not the NBA), the better team wins 99% of the time, and if you are a lot better, you are up by 20 by halftime. anyone who has played leagues knows this.

i felt that if the Laker fans were not vocal about their displeasure about all this (and we were not), the NBA gets away with all their business goals like parity and such. If the Laker fans are happy either way, who cares? even now, the fans are nowhere near as angry as they should be about that veto. You know how crazy that was???

well, it happened. and the lakers and ONLY the lakers paid the price. sucks. i mean, i hate to say it but i was really frustrated with our fans on that stuff. and now i still see it...a lot of influential posters here won't allow any criticism against curry, lebron...but it's open season on any lakers...including legends! magic, byron, kobe get routinely hammered here, but god forbid you say something bad about curry or lebron. it's like this crazy over compensation. this is LA guys, Lakerland. this is basketball mecca. there's no other pro sports team that was this successfull...10 rings in 30 years? 15 finals in 30 years??

and we lost it in 2011. and we barely made a stink about it. and here we are marveling at the warriors, a laughingstock organization until recently, praising lebron...an overhyped, unskilled, all muscle no brains klunky superstar...over most likely the most skilled player ever. and he plays for the cavs, owned by the guy RESPONSIBLE for the 2011 fiasco. i mean, it gets me mad.

i remember when Sam Bowie (picked first over MJ in the draft) was a Laker, and then wondering what if Jordan was a Laker. Then Kobe turned out to be Jordan a handful of years after we thought we'd never see a guy like MJ for a long time...and I just feel we've lost all this once in a not a lifetime, but like national history...kind of thing we had with the Buss Lakers.

I honestly don't expect to see a decade like the 80s or the 2000s for the Lakers in my lifetime again. And that's not pessimism, that's just pure logic. It is highly highly unusual to have two of those decades.

the warriors have a chance now for a decade of their own. although it won't line up properly with the decades, but they are poised for an amazing 10 year run like a 2015-2025 decade.

I'm a realist and a rationalist. The way i see things, every fan base thinks their team get's jobbed by refs. EVERYONE. Every fan base thinks they get the short end of the stick somehow, the other team cheated somehow, the league hates them for some reason. I had my complaints about reffing but i stopped. I had to stop making those complaints because i don't wanna look like one of those stark raving lunatic fans who sound whiny all the time. Reality check is that EVERYONE IS BIASED TOWARD THEIR OWN TEAM. You see things based on your own biases. Go on other message boards and see how they're biased toward their own team and how refs "screw them over"

Oh and the Chris Paul screwage. I've moved on. When you dwell on crap like that, you get eaten up by your own thoughts of how badly things are now and how much better they should've been. That's why i choose to make peace with it or else it's stark raving lunatic fan all over again

No way, every championships since 2011 should be ours man. There is no Miami Big 3, no stupid GS 13 year old looking superstar, no OKC, no Spurs, no nothing. Kobe would have way more championship than MJ.

Don't you understand? The Lakers would have their 20th or 21st championship right now. How are you going to let that stuff go?

Yea posts like these i can't take you seriously. How do you know it'll reach to a 21st championship right now? How do you trust Jimmy Buss to allow Mitch to build the right team around CP3 & Kobe? Yea adding superstars isn't a sure fire thing or else the Miami Heatles would be continually running the table.

regarding the officials...it's not that everyone is biased, that's not an accurate way to say what is happening. I think the more honest depiction is that the officials are highly inconsistent. The truth is...they ARE screwing all the teams, just at different times. That also doesn't "balance everything out". It just makes for messy basketball. the officials are inconsistent with all the teams in an unbalanced manner. the fans complain mostly about their own teams. the complaints are justified in most of the cases that I've heard. Very rarely do i hear a vehement complaint from a fan from another team, and upon closer inspection, it is not justified.

take this example....dare i bring it up...lakers and kings.
kings did get screwed in game 6, shaq got a lot of free throws. Yes, they were fouls, that's not the complaint. he wasn't called like that in all the other quarters, so the inconsistency got more noticed. kings fans are correct. However, laker fans also got screwed the game after.

how about portland game 7...(why the hell am I bringing these up? i shouldn't)
truth is...shaq got away with a very crucial foul on steve smith towards the end of the rally. total game changing play.

the problem is the ridiculous inconsistency. again, these are complicated social matters, but the nfl seems to do a better job at it.

If the original argument was explained in this manner, i would nod my head in agreement from the get go. What you stated was well said.

I still stand by my bias statement though when speaking generally about the common fan.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject:

yea, you're right about the letting go bit. Let it go! sheesh, how many parents have been driven nuts about that song??

yea...i shouldn't think about it, lol...not healthy. I'm in a mood today.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject:

What's the point of dwelling in the past? Even if we got CP3, are we even certain that we could've fit together the pieces to make a championship caliber roster? Who would we have had at the power forward slot? Emeka Okafor? How would the spacing work with Okafor and Bynum? How would have Kobe and CP3 worked out together? They're two hyper competivive athletes sure, but whether they could've worked out on the basketball court, I have my doubts.

Maybe it's different for some of you fans, but as a basketball player, I respect the game, just as much as I love the Lakers. That's why I can respect the greats, whether it be Kobe, Lebron, Curry, or MJ. What the Warriors are doing is historically great and, their core is just in their prime right now, which is scary. It's a pity that not everyone can respect greatness/the beauty of the game. I loved it when the Spurs beat Miami, not because I hated Lebron, but because how beautiful the Spurs played basketball, the way it's meant to be played: 5 players working together offensively and defensively to dominate the series and stop the best player on the planet at that time.
PatRileysHair
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
What's the point of dwelling in the past? Even if we got CP3, are we even certain that we could've fit together the pieces to make a championship caliber roster? Who would we have had at the power forward slot? Emeka Okafor? How would the spacing work with Okafor and Bynum? How would have Kobe and CP3 worked out together? They're two hyper competivive athletes sure, but whether they could've worked out on the basketball court, I have my doubts.

Maybe it's different for some of you fans, but as a basketball player, I respect the game, just as much as I love the Lakers. That's why I can respect the greats, whether it be Kobe, Lebron, Curry, or MJ. What the Warriors are doing is historically great and, their core is just in their prime right now, which is scary. It's a pity that not everyone can respect greatness/the beauty of the game. I loved it when the Spurs beat Miami, not because I hated Lebron, but because how beautiful the Spurs played basketball, the way it's meant to be played: 5 players working together offensively and defensively to dominate the series and stop the best player on the planet at that time.

You make some very valid points on Chris Paul

Talking to a couple of friends who are Warrior fans (the non bandwagony kind) they're not 100% sure about getting KD. Giving up Bogut, Iguodala, Barnes, and Shaun Livingston is a hefty price in the depth department. Adding Durant seriously hamstrings their cap space and its not so simple as adding any player with Durant, Curry, Thompson, Green. You don't just plug in any players thinking it'll be fine with a superstar core. My friends also worry if Durant plays too much isolation when the Warriors play a lot of team ball. And heck, maybe there's some nagging injuries we're not so sure of.

I remember when Dwight Howard came through LA. The excitement was all over. Look how that turned out. Oh and the Miami Big 3... there was talk that Lebron/Wade/Bosh would be long lasting dynasty. Then Wade looked diminished in the last finals appearance maybe due to nagging injuries with a huge part of their Big 3 breaking down.

I know i'm looking at things in hindsight. The point being is that what looks like a no brainer decision to land a superstar doesn't always turn out to be the big success everyone is projecting. My Warrior friends make some legitimate points on why KD isn't a clear cut thing for the longevity of the Warriors' greatness. Some things you just don't see immediately that can backfire on you.
thehotsung8701A
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject:

[quote="PatRileysHair"]
thehotsung8701A wrote:
PatRileysHair wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Lakers '16-17 roster:

Yea posts like these i can't take you seriously. How do you know it'll reach to a 21st championship right now? How do you trust Jimmy Buss to allow Mitch to build the right team around CP3 & Kobe? Yea adding superstars isn't a sure fire thing or else the Miami Heatles would be continually running the table.[/quote

Cp3 and Kobe is like poetry in motion. It would be Showtime Lakers all over again. You don't really need the right team about CP3 and Kobe, they alone are like Westbrook and Durant nowadays and Howard is better than Ibaka.

Miami didn't win cause Lebron is a loser and other than 2004, Kobe has never lost to a team that is inferior to a Lakers team. I mean Kobe lost to the Celtics but end up beating the Celtics 2 years later. Don't group Lebron with Kobe, one has a loser mentality and the other is a plain winner.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject:

thehotsung8701A wrote:
PatRileysHair wrote:
thehotsung8701A wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Lakers '16-17 roster:

Now your just trolling.... not cool Bro! not cool mate. This is a serious discussion on a very serious thread.

i feel like this whole thread is just a troll thread because it's delusional. the NBA owned the New Orleans Hornets/Pels at the time of the trade. they could've sent CP3 to any team and rescinded the trade. i've moved on

Nope they are not allow to do that, Stern broke the rule cause he hates the Lakers organization. Without the Lakers, Stern doesn't have a job and there is no basketball without the Lakers. The Lakers are basketball. Lakers are bigger than basketball itself.

So what rule did Stern break? I am curious about that one.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

I prefer the following ..

- a redo of the CP3 trade
- a redo of the Nash trade
- a redo of the 2015 NBA Draft

#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject:

But we were already gifted the legendary Dwight Howard!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject:

not gifted but i think we've 'earned' a top 3 pick this coming draft... i mean we have suffered for multiyears now
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject:

No.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject:

I don't even follow the NBA anymore because of the CP3 Veto.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject:

Oh great, let's enact a welfare state within the NBA Billionaire's Club. What next, government cheese for the concession stands at Staples?
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject:

At first I thought you asked if our players should be special ed
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject:

By "gifted players" are we talking like X-Men? Like someone who can alter the trajectory of a basketball with his mind? Or a 12 foot tall PG?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject:

We must quarantine this thread before the stupidity takes over all of LG
thehotsung8701A
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject:

Peoples Hernandez wrote:

You are a good person. All fans should feel like this but unfortunately that not the case.

I don't even know how most Lakers fan on here can let that stuff go, cause I can't, it too deadly!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject:

thehotsung8701A wrote:
Peoples Hernandez wrote:

You are a good person. All fans should feel like this but unfortunately that not the case.

I don't even know how most Lakers fan on here can let that stuff go, cause I can't, it too deadly!

So to right one wrong, we should have the system gamed for us?
thehotsung8701A
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
thehotsung8701A wrote:
Peoples Hernandez wrote:

The system didn't game for us, we had a guarantee a bit via word and not contract like the whole DJ summer fiasco.
FromMagicToKobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Maybe we shouldn't be gifted players, but I'd definitely say we should be gifted the #1 pick this year
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Exhibit 374 on why drugs are bad kids.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject:

thehotsung8701A wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
thehotsung8701A wrote:
Peoples Hernandez wrote:

The system didn't game for us, we had a guarantee a bit via word and not contract like the whole DJ summer fiasco.

Yes but poppycock happenstance wasn't a factor during bing bang era.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject:

This thread is volt-worthy, first page is straight out of the Bizarro World. Like Tommy Wiseau if he went on First Take.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: