Byron Scott Praises Both Julius Randle and D'Angelo Russell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
I don't think Byron is a good coach for a ton of reasons, but he has good intentions and wants the kids to do well.

That you Jimbo?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Winning has a way of solving most problems in basketball and all areas or life. Whatever the motivation, this Byron is what has been needed since the beginning of the season as it relates to external communication.

He is not blushing over the young guys, but simply pointing out the few bad items, while highlighting the positives.

Also, he is providing explanations for decisions, whether you agree with the reasoning or not, it is a more professional manner than the usual arrogance he often has displayed....almost as if he should not have to explain his thought process and decisions.

Hope it continues.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron Scott Praises Both Julius Randle and D'Angelo Russell

Outspoken wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh2ewsts7UU

What I find funny about this is people always wanna post the negative things said about Byron, perceived negative things Byron says; there's a thread made, but when it's positive, it doesn't get posted. Also, people say Byron doesn't communicate with the players, but Clarkson and Randle says otherwise - Byron in the video says otherwise - I guess that's what happens when you're on the outside, assuming and/because you have an agenda.

Do I think he should be fired? Yes.
Do I think he's good at developing the young talent? Yes
Do I think things are over exaggerated on this site about Byron? Yes.

The Wolves game is Exhibit A of why this season has been a depressing disaster primarily due to Byron Scott.

The Byron apologists, mostly a dying breed of stubborn, bitter, old NBA players, who mostly played with Byron will talk about the challenges of Kobe's retirement, the lack of talent, and developing the young talent. This is all a misnomer and a straw man argument.

In fact, this team was well constructed and it has been obvious to most everyone how this team should play from DAY ONE. To everyone, but stubborn, out of touch, Byron Scott.

The rotations during the Minnesota game were much closer to how the rotations should have been handled from DAY 1. This has been no secret. Go to any number of threads on this site, and look at the rotations most people were asking to play.

Its very simple.

1) Kobe should get a solid number of minutes, but not excessive. He should be kept fresh and used to close the game. (Well Done during the Minnesota game)

2) DAngelo should get heavy minutes and be given freedom to run the offense and do what he wants and to mess up. (Better during the Minnesota game, but Byron messed up by not starting and by not letting DLO finish the game)

3) Bass should play at 4, and Black should be playing at 5. (Byron had much better bench rotations in the Minnesota game. I would have still preferred DLO to start and Lou to get a few fewer minutes and for ABrown to get minutes over NY. But still MUCH better)

4) DLO, JC, and RANDLE need to get many more minutes together (A little better in the Minny game)

This is the way the team was constructed to play, and in fact there werent very many decisions for the coach to make. However, Byron has stubbornly decided to complicate matters to prove that he is smarter than everyone else.

As a result, he has completely botched the season.

This has included overplaying and starting Lou Williams, Underplaying Randle and Russell, Insane lineups featuring the likes of Huertas, Sacre and Kelly, Players playing out of position, etc.

Not only does Byron make stupid and unnecessary experiments, but he mindlessly sticks to them for blocks of games leading to long losing streaks and a complete lack of chemistry.

This has been the DIRECT CAUSE of our horrid performance this year.

Finally, now that Don MacLean has called him out and that the Front Office is starting to put pressure on him; he is simply doing what everyone wanted him to do all along:

1) Play young players more
2) Praise them
3) Play Black and have better rotations

Lo and Behold, the team is playing better. He did the same thing last year. Playing Price over Lin and JC for NO SANE REASON.

Then after everyone had been asking for months to put in JC, he did, and the team started to play better.

Some will say, better late then never, but that is not true. Due to Byron's disgusting handiwork, we are so far out of the race that winning only hurts us.
(Not to mention his Disgraceful treatment of certain players in the media)

However, Stubborn Byron has no problem feasting on Mediocre teams like the Wolves to make himself look better, but the only thing that NOW gains us is a lower percentage chance of keeping our pick.

So now, due to Byron's horrible coaching, instead of being able to truly enjoy Kobe's brilliant performance and the team's performance as a whole, it is now bittersweet.
ihatetheceltics
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Byron looked different at last nights post game interview. He sounded different also. Somebody had a talk w him.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
Practice wrote:
I don't think Byron is a good coach for a ton of reasons, but he has good intentions and wants the kids to do well.

That you Jimbo?

I agree with him. Byron is an archaic idiot, but I don't think he's intentionally malicious.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron Scott Praises Both Julius Randle and D'Angelo Russell

Outspoken wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

What I find funny about this is people always wanna post the negative things said about Byron, perceived negative things Byron says; there's a thread made, but when it's positive, it doesn't get posted. Also, people say Byron doesn't communicate with the players, but Clarkson and Randle says otherwise - Byron in the video says otherwise - I guess that's what happens when you're on the outside, assuming and/because you have an agenda.

Russell said Scott doesn't communicate with him, not the other way around.

Scott said he communicates with Russell. When did Russell say Scott absolutely does not communicate with him?

It is somewhere in the DLO thread, when asked if Scott had told him what to work on his said they don't talk.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject:

ihatetheceltics wrote:
Byron looked different at last nights post game interview. He sounded different also. Somebody had a talk w him.

Maybe someone told him he had the rest of the season to save his job?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject:

I clicked on this looking for the quote where Byron praises Randle and Russell. Did he do so after the Minnesota game? What were Byron's comments?
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject:

I mean, it literally is going to be his last NBA head coaching job he's going to have... feeling that noose tightening every game. Gotta start salvaging some popularity votes now.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject:

He handled jc great last year. 3 more months.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

You mean after nailing JC to the bench and only after injuries decimated Nash, price, Lin?
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Screw you Byron. No one is buying it. You're fired after this season is over.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

You mean after nailing JC to the bench and only after injuries decimated Nash, price, Lin?

He eased him in and after all star break let him loose. I'm fine with how he handles guys it's his schemes that are horrid
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron Scott Praises Both Julius Randle and D'Angelo Russell

Outspoken wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Russell said Scott doesn't communicate with him, not the other way around.

Scott said he communicates with Russell. When did Russell say Scott absolutely does not communicate with him?

No one is saying his lack of communication is absolute. I'm sure Bryon says 'Bless you' after Russell sneezes.

Perhaps the better word choice is 'seldom' or 'poorly' communicates.

Exhibit A: http://www.lakersnation.com/byron-scott-has-not-spoken-to-dangelo-russell-julius-randle-about-benching/2015/12/09/

Quote:
Byron said he has not talked to Russell and Randle about their demotions: "It's a big boys league. You got to come to work everyday."

Exhibit B: http://national.suntimes.com/national-sports/7/72/2104822/byron-scott-dangelo-russells-relationship-rocky-star

Quote:
D’Angelo Russell on playing late in games: "I’ve got to figure out what I’m doing wrong so I can correct it.”

Byron explain why?

“No."

Exhibit C: http://thebiglead.com/2016/01/29/dangelo-russell-byron-scott-lakers-lost-season/

Quote:
“One thing that D’Angelo Russell said this morning, I thought was very telling is that he literally does not know what questions to ask Byron Scott about how to get better. I mean, he wants to get better, he knows he makes mistakes, but he is so young at age 19… He doesn’t know what he doesn’t know. In terms of getting better as an NBA point guard, he’s just lost.”
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

He eased him in and after all star break let him loose. I'm fine with how he handles guys it's his schemes that are horrid

Ha. He didn't plan to unleash JC. it was injuries that forced his hand.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Are you the same person who "hacked" Byron's instagram account?

Who are you talking to? What are you talking about?

Where have you been? Byron was trying to arrange fights with people via his instagram.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ihatetheceltics wrote:

They lied.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ihatetheceltics wrote:

That is absolutely the case....
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Less than a year ago, and we've already got revisionist history on LG about the circumstances that thrust Clarkson into the starting role. I'm impressed.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Byron says something different about the rooks - particularly DLO - every time he opens his mouth. This is meaningless to me. But if you believe that he's doing a good job at developing him go right ahead. I remain unconvinced.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject:

Yada yada yada.....

BS will be long gone before draft day!!! Book it! Scape goat coach at this point. Laker loyality keeps him here for the last couple months alone.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Ha. He didn't plan to unleash JC. it was injuries that forced his hand.

Mitch told the front office don't use to get into the coaching staff decisions, but they asked Scott to give Clarkson some run when last season went completely south.

The worst mistake Byron made was starting Russell and Randle from they one. The demotion didn't make any favors while coming from the bench could have been natural starting the season taking the starting job with production.

Look at Nance, the confidence level when you earn a spot is great. A rookie has so many emotions to deal that I think it's unnecessary to make then go to this process of starting, going to the bench after twenty games and all that (bleep).
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:

The worst mistake Byron made was starting Russell and Randle from they one. The demotion didn't make any favors while coming from the bench could have been natural starting the season taking the starting job with production.

I would agree with that if they had lost their starting positions for technical reasons, but they were playing quite well by then. The week before being benched DLO had his first double double @Atlanta, both played well in the win @Washington (Randle got 19 boards!) and right after that, Russell had 2 of his best games @Minny (23pts and 9 of the last 11) and @San Antonio (24-6-6, and he actually started).

It's arguable if you have to give starting positions for rookies and I see no problem if they are performing well.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
nash wrote:

I would agree with that if they had lost their starting positions for technical reasons, but they were playing quite well by then. The week before being benched DLO had his first double double @Atlanta, both played well in the win @Washington (Randle got 19 boards!) and right after that, Russell had 2 of his best games @Minny (23pts and 9 of the last 11) and @San Antonio (24-6-6, and he actually started).

It's arguable if you have to give starting positions for rookies and I see no problem if they are performing well.

I feel like Russell went to the bench just to make it easier for Randle. Dlo just had his first really good games, it was really nonsense. In Julius case I really feel like Nance was a better fit with starters and he is a lot better collectively player at this point, while Randle is clearly the best individual talent.

Don't get me wrong, I had serious concerns about Randle, but after the preseason it became clear to me that his case is somewhat similar to Upshaw's problems on the flor (not out), he doesn't know what to do collectively. It was not sound starting him from day one, he has still to understand basic concepts about rotations, help defense ... everything Nance brings to the table.

In Russell's case I find him physically underdeveloped to play the game, it's clear he was a bit afraid starting the season, but his game was steadily evolving and it looks like his upper body is a bit stronger, he is taking some contact right now. He should have started when Clarkson got hurt and he had 3 really good games in a row. His confidence level would be a lot higher right now, but I agree, once he was a starter, he shouldn't have been benched after his first serie of really good games, it was not a good message.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
BS will be long gone before draft day!!! Book it! Scape goat coach at this point. Laker loyality keeps him here for the last couple months alone.

Seems like BS had a talking to and has responded, otherwise even Laker loyalty might not have saved him at the rate things were going. Agreed that he lasts the next couple months barring some reversion, unfortunately.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: