A Pure Shooter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaydanasira
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: A Pure Shooter

I think we may be thinking to big
I agree that the only real chip we have is Odom
but thats when you are thinking about a big trade
what we need is like a trade for a pure shooter that plays good Team defense someone like walton but with a Jump shot thats money 80% of the time. Watching the NOK game there were so many missed open shots. So I am thinking like walton, medvestinko, george ( and I hate to say george because he has been a bright spot) for a pg or a sf that can shoot. Some people thought pike was good ? Cause if we owul have just made the open shot we would have won the game.
dadamookie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers will probably wait for 2 years for Sasha to develop. He's got a nice stroke and MAYBE his defense will get better has his body fills out. It is only his second year in the league. He MIGHT turn out to be a nice player for the Lakers by his 5th year in the league.

...of course that doesn't make the outlook for this year any better.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject:

A shooter... that can play defense.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
A shooter... that can play defense.

yes but any suggestions who?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:

I already suggested Romain Sato all last summer. Previous guys would be Bruce Bowen. Lakers traded away the guy they had last season. Jumaine Jones.

Pointless to look for one when the team is so dependent on the 2007 FA capspace plan.

... Part of the reason why I hate the plan.

40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Our best shooter ( Cook ) doesn't know how to play D

I want a guy like Kyle Korver in LA
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject:

dadamookie wrote:
The Lakers will probably wait for 2 years for Sasha to develop. He's got a nice stroke and MAYBE his defense will get better has his body fills out. It is only his second year in the league. He MIGHT turn out to be a nice player for the Lakers by his 5th year in the league.

How can you watch the last couple of games and claim he has a nice stroke? He is incapable of hitting a wide open shot. He's a scrub, a terrible draft pick, and a waste of a roster spot. Send him to the NBDL and see if he "develops" there, instead of chumping out on every pass Kobe sends his way.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I already suggested Romain Sato all last summer. Previous guys would be Bruce Bowen. Lakers traded away the guy they had last season. Jumaine Jones.

Pointless to look for one when the team is so dependent on the 2007 FA capspace plan.

Ok, so when did Jumaine play good D again?
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Tony Montana wrote:
dadamookie wrote:

How can you watch the last couple of games and claim he has a nice stroke? He is incapable of hitting a wide open shot. He's a scrub, a terrible draft pick, and a waste of a roster spot. Send him to the NBDL and see if he "develops" there, instead of chumping out on every pass Kobe sends his way.

Funny, but the guy is our best defender at the 1. Not sure if he needs to develop anything more than some confidence in that jumpshot.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject:

^No he's not. Bryant is.

Don't mistake intensity for defense.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Tracy McGrady. Got lit up by Vince Carter, but when Caron Butler actually tried on defense, Carter got contained.

My point? Outside of Bryant last season, he was the best defender. Every night. That's the SAD truth about how weak the Lakers were defensively last season.

Now, who takes the best assignments? Gee, still Bryant... quite a bit I might add.

magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^No he's not. Bryant is.

Don't mistake intensity for defense.

Well, I wasn't really counting Kobe since he's usually guarding the 2.

So you think that Smush is our best defender at 1, excluding Kobe? Yeah, when he actually puts his hands up, maybe. But my guess is, he hasn't put a hand up consistently on SHOOTERs, since early December. Sasha's all-out effort is a better defense than that matador, give up if beaten, crap that Smush has been playing. Smush's defensive game-plan isn't much better than Chucky's last year.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Tracy McGrady. Got lit up by Vince Carter, but when Caron Butler actually tried on defense, Carter got contained.

My point? Outside of Bryant last season, he was the best defender. Every night. That's the SAD truth about how weak the Lakers were defensively last season.

Now, who takes the best assignments? Gee, still Bryant... quite a bit I might add.

I'm assuming you meant JJ? Lost ya a bit here.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject:

So, because JJ was our best defender last year, he's automatically labelled a "good defender"? Ok. The guy couldn't move his feet to save his life. IMO, JJ played his best at the 4 last year, toward the end of the year. He just isn't laterally quick enough to guard 2s and 3s.

And the fact that he's a very streaky shooter, doesn't really make him a shooter. I think the thread starter was talking about guys like Kapono, Korver, only with defense.

Not sure if the kind of player he wants, even exists.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject:

dadamookie wrote:

Sasha sucks. There's probably a million people in the U.S. that can stroke 3 after 3 in practice just like Sasha. Put you're in NBA to hit those shots in a GAME. He can't defend, can't rebound, and he's a mediocre passer and ballhandler at best. The one thing he does well he only does in practice. Get rid of this bum.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject:

So far Sasha hasn't been able to shoot or play defense. He may be the most athletically challenged player in the L. I will give Sasha credit that he tries real hard to be a pesky defender when the other team brings the ball up the court, but he will never be a good defender. He does seem to have the type of stroke that could become consistent, but so far we haven't seen him hit with consistency.

Bottom line - He's a dud. Send him back to the Euro city leagues.

Jake Speed, 1986
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
So, because JJ was our best defender last year, he's automatically labelled a "good defender"? Ok. The guy couldn't move his feet to save his life. IMO, JJ played his best at the 4 last year, toward the end of the year. He just isn't laterally quick enough to guard 2s and 3s.

And the fact that he's a very streaky shooter, doesn't really make him a shooter. I think the thread starter was talking about guys like Kapono, Korver, only with defense.

Not sure if the kind of player he wants, even exists.

No, he was a good defender. Name how many times he got lit up. Couldn't move his feet? Your right. He compensated by actually boxing out and bodying up his man on defense playing physical.

Not laterally quick enough to guard 2's and 3's? Sure. Still relieved Bryant of some defensive duty at least. Think Odom is doing that at SF? Or Parker for PG? Even Sasha?

No stud shooter that can play defense exists. Decent shooters that play stud D? Sure. Bowen is the clearest example. I've preached for Sato all summer. Houston has Luther Head. The Clippers have Singleton, and although he can't shoot, plays strong D and is working on his jumper.

There are bigger holes defensively than offensively. I'll take a streaky shooter if he can play strong man D. JJ did that. No one else is doing that really now except George, but he can't even warrant starters minutes.

magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Oh ok, Mike. I agree with you here. I was under the impression you were saying JJ was the "shooter and defender" that the threat starter was wanting. JJ is average at both. If average was what he was asking for, then yeah, JJ was that guy.

Hopefully, Devin Green can work on his jumper in the offseason, to the point that it's at least "serviceable". I really like the skillset he brings to the table.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject:

But, again, JJ is looking to get a 3+ year deal this summer. He's not worth busting the 07 plan for anyway. I'd rather have a CHANCE at a Bosh, LeBron type of player, than have a JJ type, just so I can be happy with being mediocre.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Mike Gansey anyone? Shooting 60% from the field on the year, 48% from distance. Likes to get up on his man and defend. Similar offensive and defensive skillsets to a Kirk Hinrich. Looks to be tailor made for the triangle at the 1.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I guess you must have missed last season. JJ was easily our most consistent defender last year. Any Laker fan knows this.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I guess you must have missed last season. JJ was easily our most consistent defender last year. Any Laker fan knows this.

He tried. I guess that counts for something.
dadamookie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject:

I understand that we're fans and we demand results now, but the NBA and building a playoff team takes time and development.

Is Sasha ready to play 30-40 minutes a game right now -- no. He has been forced into the role he's in because we don't have much else. If we were a good team, he would be sitting at the end of the bench getting Kobe water. But, since we don't have that luxury, he has to perform now when he hasn't fully developed as a player. If you give him time to develop as a player the MIGHT turn out in to a real nice, contributing player.

Not many players can step on the NBA floor and be a consistent player. Even fewer can step out and make a difference (see Chris Paul, a top 5 pick, big time college experience).
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Mike Gansey anyone? Shooting 60% from the field on the year, 48% from distance. Likes to get up on his man and defend. Similar offensive and defensive skillsets to a Kirk Hinrich. Looks to be tailor made for the triangle at the 1.

Only cause he plays for one of the best offensive systems in the NCAA.

He can't defend man at the NBA level. Gambles.

magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

Only cause he plays for one of the best offensive systems in the NCAA.

He can't defend man at the NBA level. Gambles.

Agreed. I was just throwing it out there for discussion. If you remember, I laughed when you said you wanted to study his game earlier in the year, stating the same problems.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: