A Pure Shooter
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Mike meant Caron, MB.

Caron played his best defense of the season against T-Mac and Carter. It impressed Mike because I remember him finally giving Caron some props after those games.

To think, the Lakers are so desperate for some 2nd option scoring and some perimeter defense now .... That Caron kid wouldn't been too shabby

BTW - Caron's averaging 16+ points/5+ boards/1.7 steals in around 34 minutes as a 3rd option ....

Here he would most likely be a 2nd option.

The guy would put up 18 ppg in his sleep. Plus, when Kobe or Lamar went out - that number rises to 22-23.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject:

The closest thing the Lakers have to a shooter is Brian Cook. He shoots from mostly from 15-20 feet and hits just under 50% from the field. He hits 42.9% from NBA 3 point range.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
^No he's not. Bryant is.

Don't mistake intensity for defense.

Well, I wasn't really counting Kobe since he's usually guarding the 2.

So you think that Smush is our best defender at 1, excluding Kobe? Yeah, when he actually puts his hands up, maybe. But my guess is, he hasn't put a hand up consistently on SHOOTERs, since early December. Sasha's all-out effort is a better defense than that matador, give up if beaten, crap that Smush has been playing. Smush's defensive game-plan isn't much better than Chucky's last year.

sasha gives up penetration like no other even w/ his effort....
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Mike meant Caron, MB.

Caron played his best defense of the season against T-Mac and Carter. It impressed Mike because I remember him finally giving Caron some props after those games.

To think, the Lakers are so desperate for some 2nd option scoring and some perimeter defense now .... That Caron kid wouldn't been too shabby

BTW - Caron's averaging 16+ points/5+ boards/1.7 steals in around 34 minutes as a 3rd option ....

The guy would put up 18 ppg in his sleep. Plus, when Kobe or Lamar went out - that number rises to 22-23.

I know. I remember Caron really putting the clamps on T-Mac in the game in LA when Kobe put on his show for - TNT was it??- where he had 30+ and a game saving pass to Cook for 3.

Caron could really have helped this year. However, what we have done without Kwame's post D this year? Or worse, what would we have done when Caron demanded 10+ million this summer? Kupchak and company had NO idea that Artest was going to demand a trade after everything the Pacers players and management had stood by him.

Hindsight is always 20/20.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Mike meant Caron, MB.

I know. I remember Caron really putting the clamps on T-Mac in the game in LA when Kobe put on his show for - TNT was it??- where he had 30+ and a game saving pass to Cook for 3.

Caron could really have helped this year. However, what we have done without Kwame's post D this year? Or worse, what would we have done when Caron demanded 10+ million this summer? Kupchak and company had NO idea that Artest was going to demand a trade after everything the Pacers players and management had stood by him.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

IMO, Keeping Caron would have been predicated by moving Odom for a Big... Caron's 10 million on the cap would be less than Odom. More cap room in 2007.
PnGforLife25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Bruce Bowen maybe?
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Well to stick to the thread, JJ was a streaky shooter not a complete pure shooter. If he has the rhythm that night he'll hit anything. If not, he may still hit a good percentage, so he was probably our best 3 point threat.

Defensively, comparing other players, excluding Kobe, Jones was probably most active on defense and was great on the boards. I think Caron had good spurts but was not consistent with it.
Serious NBA Fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Pointless to look for one when the team is so dependent on the 2007 FA capspace plan.

... Part of the reason why I hate the plan.

angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject:

Teams don't like paying max or near max contracts unless they fill a need. Butler had more value in trade, because of his low contract at the time. Part of the 2007 plan is to eject from it if a very good deal comes along. If KG becomes available at the trade deadline, the Lakers just may eject. The 2007 plan is not a solitary move planned for that time. It's a strategy, an approach to maintain flexibility to be able to move at that time. However, the Lakers would take advantage of opportunities along the way if they present themselves.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject:

I rather have capsace than Caron Butler.

And I'm a pretty big fan of Caron's demeanor and what he brings on the court. He scores points so quickly and easily without any plays being set for him. He also can get steals and push the ball on the break once in a while. Not bad skillwise in the rebounding department (Will suprise you with monster 10+ rebounding games) but is inconsistent on that aspect and in man defense.

But I would have love to seen Butler work with Phil. He seemed like a really good kid that wanted to learn every aspect of the game from Phil and Kobe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
dadamookie wrote:
The Lakers will probably wait for 2 years for Sasha to develop. He's got a nice stroke and MAYBE his defense will get better has his body fills out. It is only his second year in the league. He MIGHT turn out to be a nice player for the Lakers by his 5th year in the league.

...of course that doesn't make the outlook for this year any better.

Sasha sucks. There's probably a million people in the U.S. that can stroke 3 after 3 in practice just like Sasha. Put you're in NBA to hit those shots in a GAME. He can't defend, can't rebound, and he's a mediocre passer and ballhandler at best. The one thing he does well he only does in practice. Get rid of this bum.

Ok have you watched any games this season? Smush is the most inconsistent starting PG in the league. Sasha is a great ballhandler and a good defender and a good passer. He's a average rebounder I admit. His shot comes and goes, but doesn't really get the playing time either. I admit he's young so he doesn't play all out all of the time but he plays well with Kobe.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject:

40ptmachine wrote:
Our best shooter ( Cook ) doesn't know how to play D

I want a guy like Kyle Korver in LA

Cook is a poor defender. But if you rag on his defense, why are you jocking Kyle Korver???
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: A Pure Shooter

jaydanasira wrote:
I think we may be thinking to big
I agree that the only real chip we have is Odom
but thats when you are thinking about a big trade
what we need is like a trade for a pure shooter that plays good Team defense someone like walton but with a Jump shot thats money 80% of the time. Watching the NOK game there were so many missed open shots. So I am thinking like walton, medvestinko, george ( and I hate to say george because he has been a bright spot) for a pg or a sf that can shoot. Some people thought pike was good ? Cause if we owul have just made the open shot we would have won the game.

George is a shooter. He slumps now and again (like the two games before the Hornets) but he's reliable. Smush needs to be more consistent, but he still shoots a good percentage behind the arc.

Sasha and Cook -- both NEED to develop into consistent outside shooters. They both can, both have the technique and both already shoot well -- but they need to be known as "shooters" who defenses will respect. If one or both can become almost automatic from the arc they will become extremely valuable.

Luke Walton needs to pull a Derek Fisher, and fast. Fish couldn't shoot to save his life when he entered the league, and by his last few years here he was a known assassin. Luke, in order just to stay in the league, needs to be this same kind of shooter.

Aquiring shooters from other teams never seems to work for the Lakers. Time for some "homegrown" shooters to develop.
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject:

IMO, Keeping Caron would have been predicated by moving Odom for a Big... Caron's 10 million on the cap would be less than Odom. More cap room in 2007.[/quote]
Odom was coming off of surgery and therefore wasn't tradeable. People forget how much that killed us. Phil was in love with him also, but that may not have been the case if we could have moved him.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

If Cook wants to stay in LA he better make the shots night in and night out. Since that's all he does, that's all I'm gonna rag him for. He just needs to do his role and spread the defense.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Cook is a good shooter, but it helps to have LO to assist him.
JRocc88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:

ok don't laugh as soon as you read this, but there is one shooter out there available by free agency. THE MAYOR Fred Hoiberg.

he was cleared to play by docs at the Mayo Clinic more than a month ago. probably not in playing shape, but last season shot 49 percent from behind the arc. probably not the defensive guy, but is a first class shooter that could be had for cheap...
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject:

JRocc88 wrote:
ok don't laugh as soon as you read this, but there is one shooter out there available by free agency. THE MAYOR Fred Hoiberg.

he was cleared to play by docs at the Mayo Clinic more than a month ago. probably not in playing shape, but last season shot 49 percent from behind the arc. probably not the defensive guy, but is a first class shooter that could be had for cheap...

He's under contrtact to Minnesota and therefore only available in a trade, I think. Last I read he was just gonna keep recovering until next year when he'll be a FA.
Sasha's only 21 and should be a much less jittery shooter next year while really being comfortable in the triangle. If we're gonna get a guard, he should be a lightning bug that can defend uberquick pg's.
Banks can't be had until next year, and now it's looking like he's gonna get some actual $ and probably stay at Minny.
I personally like Aaron Miles from Kansas. He was cut by GS last month. He's extremely smart and team oriented, both offensively and defensively.
He probably doesn't have NBA three range, but neither does Brevin Knight or Tony Parker, and he does make the open 20 footer consistently. He could easily be an initiator in the triangle while guarding opposing pg's for stretches.
He would also be free other than a roster space.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: