Why are the Lakers trying to play themselves out of a Top Three Pick?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Why are the Lakers trying to play themselves out of a Top Three Pick?

I don't get it.

They made several bad trades, for aging players, and with rent-a-player contracts, botched the Howard trade, lost him for nothing, and basically mortgaged their future. But thanks to the fine print in the Nash trade, they have a chance not to get hammered in the deal . . . and it looks like they're about to blow it.

Stop winning games!!

A Lakers team with a young core of Russell, Randle, Simmons (perhaps), Clarkson and Nance is potentially good, and just a decent center away from being a serious competitor. But win a few more games and they're still not going to be playoff bound, and they'll lose their chance for a Top Three player.

A side note: I hope they find a way to get some more draft picks. Have followed Maryland extra-closely this year and I think they have several players to watch. If Diamond Stone comes out, he could really be a great center for them in a couple of years. Not ready yet. But he's improving by the game and is a natural offensive talent. Robert Carter is ready to contribute solid minutes and should develop into a starter at forward. Melo Trimble, IMO, has more potential than Russell. I'd actually rather have him on the team, but finding a way to have both would be pretty kewl. And Jake Layman is the kind of player every good team needs. Try-hard, high basketball IQ, surprising athleticism. Could be a solid 6th man for the Lake show.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

To quote the great Herm Edwards:
"You play to win the game"
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject:

No free agent is gonna come here unless we win some more games
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Sadly, we'll probably just win enough games to be 3rd or 4th worst. Not sure if there's much of a distinction between that and 2nd worst.
DMAULS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Players play to win games. FA's don't care about draft picks and no matter how bad we are, keeping the pick isn't even remotely guaranteed.
gorila
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject:

I'll be legit depressed if we don't get either of the top 2 picks, if we don't get the top two picks there's nothing to be hopeful as far as the future is concerned.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject:

They're not. Chances are pretty good we're going to lose it regardless.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject:

gorila wrote:
I'll be legit depressed if we don't get either of the top 2 picks, if we don't get the top two picks there's nothing to be hopeful as far as the future is concerned.

We'll have our own pick in 2017 (stronger draft).

We also have a high 2nd round pick and 60m+ in cap space.

It's not the end of the world.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject:

gorila wrote:

Talk to somebody. No need to become clinically depressed man. So much to look forward to pick or not! New coach, blossoming players, cap room.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are the Lakers trying to play themselves out of a Top Three Pick?

ElginWorthy wrote:

A side note: I hope they find a way to get some more draft picks. Have followed Maryland extra-closely this year and I think they have several players to watch. If Diamond Stone comes out, he could really be a great center for them in a couple of years. Not ready yet. But he's improving by the game and is a natural offensive talent. Robert Carter is ready to contribute solid minutes and should develop into a starter at forward. Melo Trimble, IMO, has more potential than Russell. I'd actually rather have him on the team, but finding a way to have both would be pretty kewl. And Jake Layman is the kind of player every good team needs. Try-hard, high basketball IQ, surprising athleticism. Could be a solid 6th man for the Lake show.

Boston , Philadelphia, Denver, Phoenix and Toronto will probably have multiple first round picks in the upcoming draft and are going to value them highly. I have no idea how Mitch would be able to easily pry a pick away from those teams.

Since there are going to be multiple teams without first round picks, the demand for them will likely be fierce and again I don't know how Mitch would be able to easily do as you asked.

Stone and Trimble are projected to be first round picks, so it isn't likely that #32 will be good enough to get one of them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject:

gorila wrote:

Maybe try catching a game, there are some good young talents on the team.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
gorila wrote:

We'll have our own pick in 2017 (stronger draft)

I really like Josh Jackson I'd take him in a heartbeat. Harry Giles is an interesting prospect as well. Can't find much video on Jayson Tatum.

Links:
2017 Draft Class
Josh Jackson 1
Josh Jackson 2
Harry Giles

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
gorila
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
gorila wrote:

Talk to somebody. No need to become clinically depressed man. So much to look forward to pick or not! New coach, blossoming players, cap room.
I'll get depressed sport wise, you're right at least we still have russell and randle
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
gorila wrote:

We'll have our own pick in 2017 (stronger draft)

I really like Josh Jackson I'd take him in a heartbeat. Harry Giles is an interesting prospect as well. Can't find much video on Jayson Tatum.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2016

I don't think we will be THAT bad. But if we don't make the playoffs, having a lottery pick in 2017 could be an interesting asset.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers Brass is delusional that's why. All they care about is KFT and to make money off of it.
tnell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Don't we owe Orlando a pick from the Dwight trade?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject:

tnell wrote:
Don't we owe Orlando a pick from the Dwight trade?

Yes
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject:

We have a harsh schedule up ahead. I think it's safe to say they stay in the top 3 range.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

I don't think beating the Pelicans because Kobe Bryant hits a couple of desperation deep 3-pointers is going to entice any free agents to come play for the Lakers next year.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Let the cards fall where they fall.

People get too wrapped up in whether we hold a 62% versus 38% chance of keeping the pick (difference between worst and fourth-worst, I believe). Yes that 24% is significant, but is it really so significant as to be worth bemoaning every Lakers win? The pick should be seen as the cherry on top, not the main course.

Just enjoy Kobe's last season and the development of the youngsters, and let the ping pong balls drop as they may.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

I don't think beating the Pelicans because Kobe Bryant hits a couple of desperation deep 3-pointers is going to entice any free agents to come play for the Lakers next year.

Well, maybe Bryce Desean Jones =)
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject:

People are acting like we are getting a pick. You guys need to assume and take the position we are going to lose it, and with luck, we might get one.

Because as I said in another post -- even with the 2nd worst record, we have the same chance of losing the pick, as a Deandre Jordan's free throw has of
going in.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are the Lakers trying to play themselves out of a Top Three Pick?

ElginWorthy wrote:
I don't get it.

They made several bad trades, for aging players, and with rent-a-player contracts, botched the Howard trade, lost him for nothing, and basically mortgaged their future. But thanks to the fine print in the Nash trade, they have a chance not to get hammered in the deal . . . and it looks like they're about to blow it.

Stop winning games!!

A Lakers team with a young core of Russell, Randle, Simmons (perhaps), Clarkson and Nance is potentially good, and just a decent center away from being a serious competitor. But win a few more games and they're still not going to be playoff bound, and they'll lose their chance for a Top Three player.

It was only 2 wins, the guys needed to feel good. Saturday, we go right back to losing, proll yby 20 or points, relax, we got this. Byron the best tank coach ever
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject:

We're a whopping 11-41. This isn't the time to panic. lol
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Yea we need to tank harder. No free agent is (bleep) coming here any damn way.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: