Why are the Lakers trying to play themselves out of a Top Three Pick?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Telling a team to intentionally lose games is bad basketball. You're just turning yourselves into Philadelphia at that point.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject:

If this team can win, you can't get in the way. I say (bleep) Philly and give them a late lottery pick.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
The Lakers Brass is delusional that's why. All they care about is KFT and to make money off of it.

How are they making money off it? I haven't been to a game, but did they raise the price of hot dogs?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure what this front office is doing anymore....afterall, they hired Byron Scott to be the Captain....
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Telling a team to intentionally lose games is bad basketball. You're just turning yourselves into Philadelphia at that point.

Heck no, disagree. When that team is the Lakers who have been buried in the bottom for over 3 years, they better lose. We aint the 76ers, they are used to losing, we are NOT> Which i what makes rooting for tanking so hard, but i want our 3 pick!!!! We might as well rebuild by the draft like OKC did, cos no one is coming here.
Triangle_Offense
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
The Lakers Brass is delusional that's why. All they care about is KFT and to make money off of it.

How are they making money off it? I haven't been to a game, but did they raise the price of hot dogs?

They've jacked ticket prices up
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:

If Russell, Randle and Clarkson were out there dominating and willing the team to victory late in games, I don't think anyone would have a problem.

The problem, at least for me, comes when we are winning games that take us out of the lottery sweepstakes largely because of guys like Kobe Bryant and Lou Williams playing 30+ minutes, on the floor at the end of the game instead of our young guys and hitting shots down the stretch.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject:

They're not - Kobe's taken the team on his back and done something you wouldn't expect from him this season. I doubt it lasts. While I want a top 3 pick, I never want a team to purposely lose. I want the guys to try hard. If the guys you put out there are rookies and D-League guys, chances are even if they try hard you'll lose 60 games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
The Logo wrote:

If Russell, Randle and Clarkson were out there dominating and willing the team to victory late in games, I don't think anyone would have a problem.

The problem, at least for me, comes when we are winning games that take us out of the lottery sweepstakes largely because of guys like Kobe Bryant and Lou Williams playing 30+ minutes, on the floor at the end of the game instead of our young guys and hitting shots down the stretch.

Everyone would love to see that, but when will we see Kobe do this kind of stuff again? For him to do this off of three consecutive season ending injuries in his 20th season is incredible. We have less than 30 games to cherish these last moments of Kobe's career. I don't want Kobe to finish his career, looking like a shell of himself, scoring 10-12 points a game.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
Yea we need to tank harder. No free agent is (bleep) coming here any damn way.

This
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

This is false. Kobe didn't even make his intentions clear until well after the season started. That put the entire organization in a position where they have no choice but to honor their retiring legend regardless of other circumstances.

Plus, I'm seriously tired of hearing terms like "Lakers Brass" tossed around as if Jim and Mitch are in the same boat. Mitch is the one tolerating a clueless imbecile. He's proven his chops as a GM under Doc. No one will see the end of completely boneheaded moves until (if) Jimbo is removed from the equation.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
gorila wrote:
I'll be legit depressed if we don't get either of the top 2 picks, if we don't get the top two picks there's nothing to be hopeful as far as the future is concerned.

We'll have our own pick in 2017 (stronger draft).

We also have a high 2nd round pick and 60m+ in cap space.

It's not the end of the world.

exactly. it feels good to win
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
If this team can win, you can't get in the way. I say (bleep) Philly and give them a late lottery pick.

Yep - totally agree with this.

Last edited by Rek on Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

well if they are delusional and you are not, why are you still following their team then?

isn't it time for u to go and root for 76ers? they will have rookie guys with potential galore for the unseeable future, right?
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject:

What a losers mentality. We play to win.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject:

I'm fine with winning. We won't get any free agents to play with a bunch of losers.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Triangle_Offense wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

They've jacked ticket prices up

No they didn't, unless you think it's the Lakers who are selling the tickets on Stub Hub and Barry's.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Yep, and you can bet that BS is delusional enough to think he can still get the 8th spot. So expect even less playing time for the young ones.
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are the Lakers trying to play themselves out of a Top Three Pick?

Yeah, I know. They likely won't get a shot at them. But I can dream. Fear the Turtle!!

Bard207 wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:

A side note: I hope they find a way to get some more draft picks. Have followed Maryland extra-closely this year and I think they have several players to watch. If Diamond Stone comes out, he could really be a great center for them in a couple of years. Not ready yet. But he's improving by the game and is a natural offensive talent. Robert Carter is ready to contribute solid minutes and should develop into a starter at forward. Melo Trimble, IMO, has more potential than Russell. I'd actually rather have him on the team, but finding a way to have both would be pretty kewl. And Jake Layman is the kind of player every good team needs. Try-hard, high basketball IQ, surprising athleticism. Could be a solid 6th man for the Lake show.

Boston , Philadelphia, Denver, Phoenix and Toronto will probably have multiple first round picks in the upcoming draft and are going to value them highly. I have no idea how Mitch would be able to easily pry a pick away from those teams.

Since there are going to be multiple teams without first round picks, the demand for them will likely be fierce and again I don't know how Mitch would be able to easily do as you asked.

Stone and Trimble are projected to be first round picks, so it isn't likely that #32 will be good enough to get one of them.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
No free agent is gonna come here unless we win some more games

Sadly, we'll probably just win enough games to be 3rd or 4th worst. Not sure if there's much of a distinction between that and 2nd worst.

If I remember all the details correctly:
Our pick this year is top 3 protected, otherwise it goes to Philly
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
The Logo wrote:

I beg to differ. I am sure the same cast of characters would be complaining just as they are now. They have complained about every win the past 3 seasons.

As for the thread title, we don't have a top 3 pick, it isn't ours to lose, we already traded it. With some luck we might be able to get it back. Passing on developing the talent we have isn't worth a 50% chance of getting the pick. They need to learn what it takes to compete, how to play in clutch time and what it takes to win.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
The Logo wrote:

I beg to differ. I am sure the same cast of characters would be complaining just as they are now. They have complained about every win the past 3 seasons.

As for the thread title, we don't have a top 3 pick, it isn't ours to lose, we already traded it. With some luck we might be able to get it back. Passing on developing the talent we have isn't worth a 50% chance of getting the pick. They need to learn what it takes to compete, how to play in clutch time and what it takes to win.

Very true. And BS is doing a good job readying Kobe for weekend YMCA domination in his retirement. And Lou Williams is looking good for whatever team he plays for next. He'll know what it takes to win, and how to play in crunch time. Fans just need to understand the importance of developing Kobe and Lou over Brown and Russell.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
No free agent is gonna come here unless we win some more games

Horrible, Horrible line of thinking.

At this point, we can only win enough to not get a pick and not impress anyone.

Plus, at this point, another talented youngster is more of a draw then beating mediocre games on big games from Kobe and Lou.

If anything, LOSE ALOT now, guarantee at least a bottom two finish or maybe even worst record, and then play really good at the very end of the season.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Heck no, disagree. When that team is the Lakers who have been buried in the bottom for over 3 years, they better lose. We aint the 76ers, they are used to losing, we are NOT> Which i what makes rooting for tanking so hard, but i want our 3 pick!!!! We might as well rebuild by the draft like OKC did, cos no one is coming here.

Not getting a draft pick does not help get us out of the philly zone any sooner, it only increases the likelihood that we struggle for a longer period just like Philly.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
gorila wrote:
I'll be legit depressed if we don't get either of the top 2 picks, if we don't get the top two picks there's nothing to be hopeful as far as the future is concerned.

We'll have our own pick in 2017 (stronger draft).

We also have a high 2nd round pick and 60m+ in cap space.

It's not the end of the world.

exactly. it feels good to win

It feels good to do drugs
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: